• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Chosen Ones - Campaign Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 37
The Chosen Ones
Campaign

Why I put pictures to here? Because the post was too long in my other topic.
Chapters & Pictures

Balgaron Map
attachment.php

Chapter 1 - Black Hooded Man
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Chapter 2 - Storng River
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Chapter 3 - Xvareon
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Chapter 4 - Chasing
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Interlude 1 - Mystery Conversation
attachment.php

Chapter 5 - An Old Friend
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Interlude 2 - To Kar'Gath

Chapter 6 - Kar'Gath
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Chapter 7 - The Chosen Ones
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Chapter 8 - Rot'Afor
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Chapter 9 - Icy Mountains
I will add pictures later.

Chapter 10 - Mystery Dungeon
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Chapter 11 - Final Battle
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

By the way, if you like these pictures give some reputation points! And if you don't like, give me criticism and tell what should I do differently! I can always edit my terrain at campaign.

Last edited:
Level 9
Wow, that's alot of terrain.

The Xvareon area came out really nice. The terrain in itself may not be the best but due to the colors/layout makes it look really nice.

For improvements I'd suggest in general reviewing some of your citys and changing them up a little. Towns and citys are often symettrical and in a pattern but not so much to the degree seen in some of the shots.

Level 37
DungeonM said:
The Xvareon area came out really nice. The terrain in itself may not be the best but due to the colors/layout makes it look really nice.
Hahaha! "Xvareon area" :D. It's a name of dragon in my campaign! Next time call "chapter 3" for example(it was so damn fun to see "Xvareon area". :D

DungeonM said:
For improvements I'd suggest in general reviewing some of your citys and changing them up a little. Towns and citys are often symettrical and in a pattern but not so much to the degree seen in some of the shots.
Yeah, I have the problem I made too symettrical things. I will try to make it not so symettrical By the way, real cities are too symettrical?

Level 34
Some are poor, some are good, some are quite good. I find the you lack consistency. Most people do though when you terrain so many types. I for example can't terrain snowy areas.

Sorry but I don't want to go through them and find what I dislike about them. Too much work.

Overall I think the terrain is decent for a playable map. I've seen better, but I've seen more that are worse. Maybe when you complete I will rep. Not quite yet.

Level 34
Hmmm.. this is a place where is very dry. So I think fog is not needed this time. But of course I'm going to test it.

You do realize by fog I don't mean weather. I mean background fog. So that it has a better atmosphere. Being dry has nothing to do with it.

Level 37
I just watched couple of your posts, Gilles, and I see you like fog alot. It's like obsession for you to see fog in every terrain. However, I think this village don't need fog. It's autumn and noon in these pictures that is why fog is not needed. But still, I thank you for your post and tried to say me what should I do differently.

In my opinion, fog is needed for a scary place, forest or cave.

seruk said:
Way to use doodads however poorly looking.
How do I use doodads poorly? Please explain so I can fix it.

seruk said:
I'll give you some non-stinking C&C once I wake up from this coma-like state.
When you will wake up your strange "coma-like state" ?

Level 8
Good and bad. The custom props are nice (eg: The statue and the bridges.) but being used with original Warcraft III models makes them look odd and out of tune.
Also, the fog meant here would be the far-off fading so as to hide partially rendered models which can happen when playing WC3 without using fog in large maps.

Level 34
Thanks Dungeon. That's what I mean about fog. It does get confusing because there are two kinds. I don't mean fog on the ground, I mean distance fog. I might start calling it Dfog. It gives the terrain atmosphere. All terrains should use it (almost).

Level 37
DungeonM said:
See how the distance fades off into a light blue-ish haze? That's the effect you want to emulate with fog.
Yea, but you have to remember that in warcraft 3, you cannot see so far away in game. Only in warcraft 3 editor. Every of these pictures are play-able.

But I understand what you guys are trying to tell me. I will try different fogs to see what it will give me.

Level 15
i like the "old friend" chapter a lot, especially those rope bridges. Very nice in general but your towns are too regular. Maybe you should decide what kind of design you'd use. For example medieval style has irregular towns with low wooden buildings and so on, try to develop your building style.

Level 8
How do I use doodads poorly? Please explain so I can fix it.

See, sometimes they seem to be just completely random and does not mix. Terrain is at it's best when it 'melts together' to just one big picture, when it has some kind of... flow. When the doodads are just placed randomly without consideration (by this I mean not using doodads that fit together) you just get some kind of soup. It might be almost good looking but it won't be great. I really wish I could explain it better, I'm not very good at explaining things.

Well, of course you have to have some things random. Else it would take a massive amount of time if you placed hundreds doodads with purpose behind every one. But, its a playable map so you have to take a lot more time with doodad placement then a regular terrain.

I like the town "Dalli" a lot. Could use some orangish fog(as i have stated above)

Level 25
I've spotted tons of terraining errors. In fact, all of them have more than one error! I could suggest a bunch of things you COULD do to make them look better and perhaps fix some of these boo-boos, but right now I have not got the patience to type such a message. I apologize for that.

I think you need to practice a lot more with your terraining skills and abilities. Read lots of terraining tutorials and hopefully you'll learn a good thing or two from them. Reading them is really helpful, even for me some times!

~Craka_J

Level 37
Vampire said:
HeartWell, of course you have to have some things random. Else it would take a massive amount of time if you placed hundreds doodads with purpose behind every one. But, its a playable map so you have to take a lot more time with doodad placement then a regular terrain.
Yeah, if I hadn't done things randomly, I would be making this campaign after year 3000.

Craka_J said:
I think you need to practice a lot more with your terraining skills and abilities. Read lots of terraining tutorials and hopefully you'll learn a good thing or two from them. Reading them is really helpful, even for me some times!
Honestly I have to say, I have never read ANY tutorials. I have always learned everything by myself or Kitabatake taught me. I think I'm experienced now enough to make my terrain own style, not everyone's else. But of course I want criticism so make these terrains better.

Here are the newest pictures of chapter 3, what do you thin guys? Btw, if you walk at poison you will get hurt!

Attachments

• cc32.JPG
    cc32.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 3,457
  • cc33.JPG
    cc33.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 3,426
  • cc34.JPG
    cc34.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 3,380
  • cc31.JPG
    cc31.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 3,429
Level 34
It's okay. Nothing amazing, but I'm gussing you have to keep the doodad amount low?

The first one has a huge contrast between the fore screen and the background. Is that on purpose.

Level 37
Okay, here is some more pictures. These pictures are from chapter eight: Rot'Afor. What do you guys think about these pictures?

Attachments

• c8p1.JPG
    c8p1.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 3,113
  • c8p5.JPG
    c8p5.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 182
  • c8p6.JPG
    c8p6.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 3,178
  • c8p7.JPG
    c8p7.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 188
  • c8p8.JPG
    c8p8.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 3,192
  • c8p9.JPG
    c8p9.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 123
  • c8p11.JPG
    c8p11.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 130
Level 37
Gilles said:
Looks very ... trashed.
Ooh yea, it's ruins!

Gilles said:
How much longer do you think?
I think it will still take about one month to maybe even two. Because soon I have to start to read coming big tests and it will take most of my time. That is why I try to make this campaign before reading but doubt if I can.

Level 28
Okay, here is some more pictures. These pictures are from chapter eight: Rot'Afor. What do you guys think about these pictures?

I'm not be too long, so here are the hints:

Its too flat. "But its a paved city, it must be flat!" you must say. Well, its a ruined paved city, so its different. To make it more realistic you'll need:

_______________________________________________________________________________________

1)Add large spots of dirt at the area where the houses and ruins are. Not on the streets. Inside these spots, add rough dirt and scorched remains. Oh, and there are too many trashed objects there. Where you added the spots, remove some of the houses, ruined collumns, etc.

2)
Now, you can use the height tool at those spots.

3)At the streets, add some small spots of dirt (if you want, add rough dirt), and it is not necessary to use the height tool there.

4)I liked the use of dead bodies!

_______________________________________________________________________________________

I hope I helped :thumbs_up:

Level 37
\Naze said:
1)Add large spots of dirt at the area where the houses and ruins are. Not on the streets. Inside these spots, add rough dirt and scorched remains. Oh, and there are too many trashed objects there. Where you added the spots, remove some of the houses, ruined collumns, etc.
Sorry, but I don't have anymore space to get some new tilesets and I tried to replace but it won't work. Well, I deleted some doodads but that's all I could do. :(

Thanks anyway.

But well, here is the newest pictures of chapter 2. What ya think now?

Attachments

• c2p1.JPG
    c2p1.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 3,391
  • c2p2.JPG
    c2p2.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 3,399
  • c2p3.JPG
    c2p3.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 138
  • c2p4.JPG
    c2p4.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 3,463
  • c2p6.jpg
    c2p6.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 90
  • c2p5.JPG
    c2p5.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 3,385
Level 7
Not too bad for the most part. I would also suggest getting a custom fire model, the one in the editor doesn't look to awesome. Also, some of the models don't fit in with others. Nonetheless, overall, it's some decent terrain.

Level 34
Could use some more tile variation, and really needs fog, but apart from that it looks ok.
QTF. I also am not a fan of that rock tile, but if it's the only choice you have then alright. Can't think of any others that would suit. Maybe a custom one?

Level 37
ghenjis said:
I would also suggest getting a custom fire model, the one in the editor doesn't look to awesome.
I have! I just used the blizzard's fire model and other fire model!

Bob27 said:
Could use some more tile variation, and really needs fog, but apart from that it looks ok.
What fog do you prefer? And what kind of tile variaton you mean?

Gilles said:
Can't think of any others that would suit. Maybe a custom one?
Your suggestion?

By the way, what "QTF" means?

Level 34
An orange would probably suit. A brownish orange.

You need more than that one tile on the paths. Add at least one more, preferably two.

QTF mean Quote For Truth. I didn't use it perfectly, but I was just supporting what Bob said.

For the tile, I have no idea, you'll probably have to just stick with the one you have.

Level 34
Looks good HT. Although it needs a bit of fixing. The large one especially. It seems to go funny at the bottom. Hard to explain.

Status
Not open for further replies.