• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Contest #19 - Golem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 49
14w8t2d.jpg

i'll probably add more lava to it. fire/metal golem is my concept anyway :p

aaand i'll thing of something for those furry things

I don't think a Rock Golem, for instance, would be considered a construct.
You must choose an organic unit and turn it into a Golem.

* The Golem must be made out of these materials: minerals, metals, processed wood (treants are not allowed) and/or clay (ceramics).
* The Golem can be decorated, armoured or detailed otherwise with any non-synthetic material (moss on rock, for instance).
* A Golem is a mindless being brought to life either by mechanical means (an automaton) or magical means (excluding undead).
Either way, we're using this definition and there's not going to be a change to it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golem

There might be a few misconceptions on what a golem actually is.
What it says in a proper definition of "Golem" from Jewish folklore (golems actually being a fictional creation OF the jewish) Is that any inanimate object or collection of inanimate objects formed by magical or godlike means to become animate. Is says nothing about any kind of robotic golems, as they are (to put it simply) ROBOTS. So if thats all you want to see, by all means change the contest to robots. Because what your rules do is a narrow view of what a golem really is. Broaden the view and we get interesting entries. Limit it, and we get lame ones. (not directed at the entries from this contest itself)

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golem

There might be a few misconceptions on what a golem actually is.
What it says in a proper definition of "Golem" from Jewish folklore (golems actually being a fictional creation OF the jewish) Is that any inanimate object or collection of inanimate objects formed by magical or godlike means to become animate. Is says nothing about any kind of robotic golems, as they are (to put it simply) ROBOTS. So if thats all you want to see, by all means change the contest to robots. Because what your rules do is a narrow view of what a golem really is. Broaden the view and we get interesting entries. Limit it, and we get lame ones. (not directed at the entries from this contest itself)

We're using both the Jewish folklore definition and the definition that claims robots are golems as well. We're just limiting the materials used. Yes, it's narrower than it could've been, but I don't like too broad themes.
Either way, a tree is animate, Dent, and as such wouldn't be allowed either way - just saying.

Either way, a tree is animate, Dent, and as such wouldn't be allowed either way - just saying.

not what I'm arguing about. I already said I'm not participating.
either way though, if you narrow the theme we get less of a skin to judge. If the theme is broad, There could be so many more creative opportunities at hand. And thats what i thought the contests were all about.

Level 38
I guess I won't participate, but I worked a little bit on a skin of the Hydra.
Unfortunately the wrap is a bit bad.
Here's my WIP.
I know I suck at texturing, but I want your opinion.

Looks OK, I'd recommend doing something else with the frill though. You can check to see exactly were the frill is with the UV wrap compilation link in my signature. Maybe turn the frill into blades or something, with alpha channels the possibilities are broader than for the rest of the model anyways.

Hay A.R., you getting any closer to pulling off that totally awesome idea you mentioned? :D

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

not what I'm arguing about. I already said I'm not participating.
either way though, if you narrow the theme we get less of a skin to judge. If the theme is broad, There could be so many more creative opportunities at hand. And thats what i thought the contests were all about.

If we wanted broad contests, we'd just set a time window and ask everyone to make a skin before the deadline. The one with the most votes wins. It's too easy.

Level 10
Looks OK, I'd recommend doing something else with the frill though. You can check to see exactly were the frill is with the UV wrap compilation link in my signature. Maybe turn the frill into blades or something, with alpha channels the possibilities are broader than for the rest of the model anyways.

Hay A.R., you getting any closer to pulling off that totally awesome idea you mentioned? :D

Who's A.R.?

BTW I won't be able to skin today anything, since I've got a big QUESTIONING (yes, we call it like that... It's like a test, but the teacher asks questions and you answer 'em. You don't know 1? You're fucked ^^).

Level 15
Well the main idea comes from a picture i think was called , "blood forged golem" was a Red metallic golem , so i'm going a blood forged Clockwolf , and yep it was a pretty quick wip just applyng some colours and little details.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

It looks a bit too fleshy at the moment, what's he made of, anyway?

Level 8
Yeah sorry, didn't see that.

BTW, Pyramidhe@d, I find that Pit Lord, undefined and monotone. What I'm trying to say is that you should do his gloves, weapon and armor in a different way (or color) then everything else. Something like his beard would be nice. Just a thought.

Level 10
Oh God. I've started like 30 minutes ago working on it and It works great for me. This one's (For me) looking much more promising than my last one. Will upload a WIP once I've done the body.

EDIT: Ok, I can show the shell at least...
attachment.php

Attachments

• 1st wip.PNG
    1st wip.PNG
    93.8 KB · Views: 465
Status
Not open for further replies.