• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Contest #19 - Golem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 49
WIP!
2u8jrys.jpg

i replaced the tentacles with chains

Last edited:
Level 38
Looking pretty sweet Ampharos_222. From person experience with that skin I can say the inside of the mouth uses texture from the extension of the elbow, namely the upper part of it. And those chains look pretty badass ;)

Anyways, I've decided on doing a dragon.
DragonGolem_03.jpg

I'm planning on changing the color to something else, right now I'm mostly laying everything out.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

That is mouthwatering, Pyra. *drools*
Especially love the weapon and head. The team-colour (assuming it is) on the shoulders could use some work, though. The grey background shines through here and there making it look a bit unfinished. Nor am I a fan of the green runes, but that's personal preference.

Nice to see a dragon skin, Chrome, I just hope you'll do something unique with it rather than doing the same basic idea as Pyra and Ampharos. Of course, there's nothing keeping you from doing that, but I'd love to see something new.

Anyway, to clarify on the ancients discussion. I think we'll categorize them as organic, and thus making a skin for an ancient is fine, but making an ancient out of another skin, is not.

Level 34
Great work so far, if I may say. I'll most likely join this contest, I have an idea on what to make. The theme is Golem, but it doesn't necessarily mean I have to make a strong, fearsome, powerful bodyguard, destroyer machine type of golem? It's good enough if I turn a living being/creature into an unliving but animated (through magic or mechanism) creature?
For example, would a Human Villager that has a body of a golem (meaning, an artificially animated body, made out of something), but head of a villager, count as a golem? That villager as a person would be dead, but the golem body and it's moving would make it seem like the person is still alive, or even better, if the soul of that person is trapped within the golem. Then the person has it's memories, thought and reason, but not it's body. Which option is okay?

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Great work so far, if I may say. I'll most likely join this contest, I have an idea on what to make. The theme is Golem, but it doesn't necessarily mean I have to make a strong, fearsome, powerful bodyguard, destroyer machine type of golem? It's good enough if I turn a living being/creature into an unliving but animated (through magic or mechanism) creature?
For example, would a Human Villager that has a body of a golem (meaning, an artificially animated body, made out of something), but head of a villager, count as a golem? That villager as a person would be dead, but the golem body and it's moving would make it seem like the person is still alive, or even better, if the soul of that person is trapped within the golem. Then the person has it's memories, thought and reason, but not it's body. Which option is okay?

If you mean keeping the actual human head, then no. If I'm disallowing flesh golems that means all flesh is prohibited. Like I said, though, if we all agree on flesh golems being allowed, then a human head (but no cyborgs!), as long as it's functions are purely artificial, would also be allowed. Red Shift is the one who came up with the theme, so I guess I'll try to discuss it with him first and foremost. It's not healthy to alter the conditions in a contest after it has started.

One could also interpret inorganic as no organic material (ie carbon compounds), but that would effectively disallow robots as well due to them needing oil and/or gas (at least most of the time). And actually, a lot of the so-called golems in fantasy worlds would also have some form of connection to organic matter. In the end we'd end up with mainly rock golems and that'd be a tad boring.

The most fitting definition, that I think should be used, is simply:
1 - an artificially created human* supernaturally endowed with life
2 - a mechanism that can move automatically

* we could replace human here with being, of course.

And the whole organic to inorganic would just be a guideline to make the entries more interesting - turning a golem into another golem is fairly lame, if I may say so.

Level 10
If you mean keeping the actual human head, then no. If I'm disallowing flesh golems that means all flesh is prohibited. Like I said, though, if we all agree on flesh golems being allowed, then a human head (but no cyborgs!), as long as it's functions are purely artificial, would also be allowed. Red Shift is the one who came up with the theme, so I guess I'll try to discuss it with him first and foremost. It's not healthy to alter the conditions in a contest after it has started.

One could also interpret inorganic as no organic material (ie carbon compounds), but that would effectively disallow robots as well due to them needing oil and/or gas (at least most of the time). And actually, a lot of the so-called golems in fantasy worlds would also have some form of connection to organic matter. In the end we'd end up with mainly rock golems and that'd be a tad boring.

And the whole organic to inorganic would just be a guideline to make the entries more interesting - turning a golem into another golem is fairly lame, if I may say so.

I, for instance, took the Ancient because IMO they're one of the rare that actually look a little golem-ish and titan-ish. They have that form. I can't pick a footman and change it into a golem. That can't be and shouldn't be done, it would just end up in a waste of time.

Attachments

• RockElder.BLP
    120.3 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:
Level 10
Next WiP, made the Arms... i dont know what to do with the body, i have no idea... :/
Plz give feedback and say me what to do with the body...

Shadow the arms a little, and the head too. Looks too flat. But the metal plates (Call it like that) are looking good. Just shadow down a little, and add some team color if possible. Or add some other colors, plain grey isn't... well, interesting.

197323-albums3867-picture41036.png

197323-albums3867-picture41035.png
Import to "Buildings\NightElf\AncientOfLore\AncientOfLore.blp"
It will change the Ancient of lore in game.

DOWNLOAD

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I, for instance, took the Ancient because IMO they're one of the rare that actually look a little golem-ish and titan-ish. They have that form. I can't pick a footman and change it into a golem. That can't be and shouldn't be done, it would just end up in a waste of time.

Actually, that is the whole point of the contest. Pick a unit that doesn't look like a golem and turn it into a golem. Of course it can be done.

Level 34

Alright, understood. My golem will have a head that resembles a human's, but it will also have a distinctive mark that will show you it's non-human. You'll see what I mean, soon. I'll probably start working on it today, but after school.

Level 18
Ampharos, yours is by far my favorite at the moment great job.
Blood..you need a serious amount of shading added to your skin, it look's like plastic at the moment..a plastic golem..srsly?
Everyone else who I won't mention because I'm lazy..I have seen your skin and they look great, HOWEVER, don't stop already, keep adding, modding, up till the time limit I say!

Level 38
my first model to reskin was a dragon too, but i eventually gave up on it due to its bad wrap.

Ya, the UVs are pretty bad on the dragon, and in some places asemetrical.

Looks pretty cool, I especially like the face :)
The runes do look a little weird though, especially on the chest. The surrounding metal is to bright to give them much of a glowing feel, you should darken the surrounding metal. On that note, one thing that might look cool is if you gave half of the metalic bits a darker tone, giving more variation to the skin tones.

Who is that Pokemon?

Forgotten One?

@ Blood Raven: Looks pretty cool so far, though you should plan on having at least two colors on the body. Also, with metalic stuff the curves function with brightness and contrast is your freind ;)

@Ganondorf: Looking good, though I think you should work on that one a little more. Add a different rock tone/color or crystals with it, right now it seems a little plain. You should mess around with the eye placement to, or maybe give him additional eyes.

ChromeDragon_01.jpgChromeDragon_02.jpgChromeDragon_03.jpgChromeDragon_04.jpg
Allll right, WIP2. Not terribly happy with the colors, I'm thinking about changing the gold to something else. Maybe brown or green so it looks like it's reflecting light from the ground.

Next WiP... I don't think it looks plastic... it looks metal to me...
however, i will try to add more shading and highlights at the end.
Give feedback.:wink:

EDIT: Chrome, very nice, but i dont like the crystal claws... they look wierd... otherwise, the gold wings are nice, don't change them :)

Attachments

• EredarWIP.JPG
    EredarWIP.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 178
Level 34
It is a very early WIP and I'm still testing, it barely even displays anything, however, I'm posting it just to let you know that I started working. I will make two skins for this contest and later decide which one to use as my final entry. First one is going to be a marionette, the killer doll, the second one is a secret, but it will also be a doll/puppet. Let's assume that they will be dolls made out of treated and polished wood, animated with the power of magic, would they still count as golems?

Attachments

• basic-preview-Marionette.png
    basic-preview-Marionette.png
    41.6 KB · Views: 182
  • Wip_1.png
    Wip_1.png
    62.2 KB · Views: 201
Level 49
By that logic, something made out of leather and such should count aswell.

If it's obviously "man-made", then yes. If it still looks like it's alive or breathing(flesh), then no. Something like Leatherface except it looks a little less humanoid should count as a golem, but don't quote me on that.

attachment.php

Another update. I've added crystals to make it look less "monotone". It's ok, I guess.

And I like how he looks much Elder (yes, elder = older) with these updates on the face ^^

That update... Ugh... Ganodorf... You first WIP was awesome, your second WIP(orange hair) was... Acceptable, but this is just an overkill! D: Sometimes, monotony can look good. Imo, a stone golem with a black beard would look better than this... Golem with random blue crystals all over him and orange hair and orange color and all sorts of colors splattered all over him including blue lamps... I mean... That's just... A little too much. D:

@FrIkY: Sounds really interesting, I'm looking forward to seeing it completed. :pcon:

@Dionesiist: That looks like pure awesomeness. I'll be looking forward to this one as well.

Level 10
That update... Ugh... Ganodorf... You first WIP was awesome, your second WIP(orange hair) was... Acceptable, but this is just an overkill! D: Sometimes, monotony can look good. Imo, a stone golem with a black beard would look better than this... Golem with random blue crystals all over him and orange hair and orange color and all sorts of colors splattered all over him including blue lamps... I mean... That's just... A little too much. D:

@FrIkY: Sounds really interesting, I'm looking forward to seeing it completed. :pcon:

@Dionesiist: That looks like pure awesomeness. I'll be looking forward to this one as well.

"Lacking
13:55, 26th Jan 2011
THE_END: I like it HOWEVER, very VERY monotone, just rocks and hair really. It is done well but is very plain. Maybe add some sort of armor or crystals in him??"

It's not my fault. I can't do anything. Someone likes it this way, someone the other way... I've got tied hands.

This is how I wanted it to look like:
attachment.php

Style and likings shouldn't be a question. Only shading and etc. Monotone shouldn't be even mentioned.

Attachments

• ORIGINAL CONCEPT.PNG
    ORIGINAL CONCEPT.PNG
    93.7 KB · Views: 315
Reactions: sPy

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

You can keep it pretty monotone (but I prefer some variation), but you need to detail it more. At least that's my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.