• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Contest #19 - Golem

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I can tell, that's a turtle with claws and an overgrown shell. So unless you come up with a way of making the "body" of an inorganic material I'm going to say no. :v

im disappointed how no one got the joke... >.< The pokemon's name is Golem...
But no im doing a root golem. some like nature shit with roots and all that. im thinking ill use the naga myrmidon

We almost went with a toy theme a few contests back.

It was py's idea and i tried to host it, but it just wouldnt work xD

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I'm not intimately familiar with Pokémon, sorry. >_>

Also, beware that living roots are not allowed - that would count as a treant. Wood needs to be processed somehow. Sorry for being so hard on the theme.

Level 26
guys, you just have to create something that was created by a human/alien. In other words: a robot.
The only difference to a robot is that it does not have to be alive due to technology, but also through magic and that it does not have to be made of metal, but also made of wood, plastic, clay, stone,

Level 34
Another WIP, still working on the wood.

Attachments

• skin-3.png
    skin-3.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 101
  • Wip_3.png
    Wip_3.png
    93.6 KB · Views: 112
Level 26
Lol shiik, you're fucking this up more than i did on the tank contest. Dont put a big intricate definition on a contest, it will only encourage people to try to poke holes in it. i learned that a while ago xD rofl

a theme is suppose to be one word that the contestants can interpret however they see fit. and then for the judges to grade their interpretation.

Level 10
Lol shiik, you're fucking this up more than i did on the tank contest. Dont put a big intricate definition on a contest, it will only encourage people to try to poke holes in it. i learned that a while ago xD rofl

a theme is suppose to be one word that the contestants can interpret however they see fit. and then for the judges to grade their interpretation.

Just like that. Never heard that Golems are not alive... And in many games, movies, etc. They are.

Level 10
Mud, Stone and Granite golems in WC3 are not alive.
Neither are Flesh Golems, Siege Golems or Abominations.

Your point?

My point? I just said till now that I never heard that Golems are dead. Not alive. You must know that War3 is not the only game I'm playing.
All Those = just golems from WC3. For instance, those golems in Shadow of the Colossus are full of soul and ALIVE, And they sure look like it. T'was chosen by a lot of Gaming sites and similar as the game of the year just because they looked so real and alive, because that's what they are. Real in game and alive. When you kill them, their parts don't let go one of the other themselves, they bleed and their soul goes away from their body.
Dahaka in Prince of Persia Warrior Within is a Golem and immortal, the keeper and guardian of the sands of time (Well, till you kill him ^^). Immortal = alive forever.
I just say not all Golems are not alive or are not organic. Basically, a golem, in many games, is a being that is huge and bulky, nothing else. Hell, almost all of those golems in Neverwinter nights are alive (Basically mostly talking about the Flesh, Demon, etc.)
Golems are not always dead, and a lot of times are alive, not controlled by anything and are self aware, can think on their own and other activities a human can do. That's my point.

I don't get it why we have to skin a dead golem... The theme's golem, and we can do any golem we want. Otherwise, I suggest you make the theme "dead golems" Or something.

Level 10
Well, none of them says that it isn't alive or something. It's actually on the opposite.

You know what, this is a limbo discussion. We can discuss this till the end of time, and still we won't be able to get any kind of reason out of it.

Golem.... is the theme of this contest. Let's say that.

Level 34
Never change Hive, never change... :pnewt:

Anyhow, new WIP. I didn't do anything special to the chest area because I'll work on that part more when I start giving her clothes. She'll have a corset, most likely. I'll probably start working on the face right now, even though I'm bad at making faces, but I'll try my best not to fail.

Attachments

• skin-7.png
    skin-7.png
    41.7 KB · Views: 123
  • Wip_7.png
    Wip_7.png
    116.4 KB · Views: 150

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

The theme isn't as easy as one word, guys. Red Shift suggested the theme based on the dictionary definition, not the fantasy definition. He quoted them and named examples. Then he summarized the theme by saying we'd make inorganic units on models made for organic units (ie humans). I've done my best to stick to that. >_>

so if i'm finished with my entry, should i wait till the deadline or submit my work?
Post your entry here, first of all, and you may submit it as well. I strongly advice you take some time to work more on it to finalize it, though. (Not saying there's anything in particular that needs work.)

wait so i cant do something like this?
Nope, that's a treant.

It is kind of interesting that this theme suggest we make a golem without a soul and mind, but the picture is from the Shadow of Collosus game... Those golems are full of soul and mind if you ask me and a couple of thousand gamers :/ They're alive.
I didn't pick the image. I have never played the game. Also, whether it has a soul and mind or not is up to your interpretation. Maybe the mage that crafted the stone golem is the mind? And what is a soul anyway?

I didn't think it was intricate, and I didn't come up with the theme, though I see your point.

My point? I just said till now that I never heard that Golems are dead. Not alive. You must know that War3 is not the only game I'm playing.
All Those = just golems from WC3. For instance, those golems in Shadow of the Colossus are full of soul and ALIVE, And they sure look like it. T'was chosen by a lot of Gaming sites and similar as the game of the year just because they looked so real and alive, because that's what they are. Real in game and alive. When you kill them, their parts don't let go one of the other themselves, they bleed and their soul goes away from their body.
Dahaka in Prince of Persia Warrior Within is a Golem and immortal, the keeper and guardian of the sands of time (Well, till you kill him ^^). Immortal = alive forever.
I just say not all Golems are not alive or are not organic. Basically, a golem, in many games, is a being that is huge and bulky, nothing else. Hell, almost all of those golems in Neverwinter nights are alive (Basically mostly talking about the Flesh, Demon, etc.)
Golems are not always dead, and a lot of times are alive, not controlled by anything and are self aware, can think on their own and other activities a human can do. That's my point.

I don't get it why we have to skin a dead golem... The theme's golem, and we can do any golem we want. Otherwise, I suggest you make the theme "dead golems" Or something.
You're talking semantics. I'm obviously not telling you to make dead golems, that would technically be impossible on an organic unit's model. It'll bring you nowhere to argue whether they are dead or alive, or whether they have a soul or not. The point is that in the world we know, rocks don't walk the earth and the rock is not alive - it would take magic or mechanics to make it seem alive. Of course, you could argue the theme should be "Magically or Mechanically Animated, Inorganic (with exceptions) Things" - but it wouldn't conjure an image in your mind as effectively as "Golem' ..

Now stop arguing about the theme and start posting WIPs again, please. The theme is well-defined now and I regret not writing as detailed when I hosted it.

Level 10
Well, still... Those golems in Shadow of the Colossus are alive. There are 10 I think, whatever, the hero, his horse and a girl. All else is dead. So, there was no mage to summon them.

And didn't we say we'd stop talking about the theme? There's always someone (Including me) THAT HAS TO ADD SOME FUCKING SHIT TO THE DISCUSSION THAT ISN'T SPOKEN BEFORE AND THAT WAY JUST CONTINUES THE DISCUSSION WHEN WE WANTED TO STOP IT.
This is why people all around the world argue. If it wasn't for these special people, then the world would be a better place. LET'S JUST PUT A FULL STOP (yes, full stop. You supposed I'd say point, right? :D) AT THE END OF THE SENTENCE.

I swear we all are damned to discuss crap that isn't important if we continue talking about it.

Let the golem be an inorganic dude that walks the earth because some weirdo summoned him, or at least constructed him.

Come to think about it, Construct could better define the theme than Golem. They are known to be constructs anyway.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I don't think a Rock Golem, for instance, would be considered a construct.

Either way, we're using this definition and there's not going to be a change to it:
You must choose an organic unit and turn it into a Golem.

* The Golem must be made out of these materials: minerals, metals, processed wood (treants are not allowed) and/or clay (ceramics).
* The Golem can be decorated, armoured or detailed otherwise with any non-synthetic material (moss on rock, for instance).
* A Golem is a mindless being brought to life either by mechanical means (an automaton) or magical means (excluding undead).

Level 34
A moderator should simply just clean this thread, I see no point in all this drama. If you're not here to show a WIP or provide constructive feedback to other's work, please kindly step away. The definition and explanation that shiiK had given you as to what you're supposed to do couldn't be any clearer, only a fool would continue this arguing.

@FrIkY, i like the wooden parts and the face, but i dont like the orange hair... maybe you can make it gray or dark brown... otherwise, very nice, but the wooden parts are pretty monotone, you can add some wood- carving or bandages (like on the face)
@TurtleRacingCar, i like your concept and the work on the head, but how will you continue on that model? the concept is snake- like model, and yours is human- like model...
However, very nice, GJ

Level 10
Hmm, after thinking about it a couple of minutes (Yes. Minutes. ^^) I've concluded that I don't like my entry that much. It's kind of... too solid. I'll try to make a new one.

EDIT: Can I make a Golem out of Shit? I mean, it's not organic, it's shit. Is that possible? :)

Last edited:

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Literally? No, that's organic. However, if you mean shit as in random scrap - possibly.

Status
Not open for further replies.