• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Contest #19 - Golem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah fuck it, I dump the older version. I'll continue to work on this one. Updated the resource as well.

When some people say monotone (especially when END says it :p) they mean to (in general) make it more interesting. In this case, its not all that monotone (considering you have the grey and orange tones) but you just need to add some more things to make it look interesting. Sure, it looked good when you had it to begin with, but it was a tad too plain. However, dont go completely changing the colour scheme. Thats what ends up making it look like poo. Just instead try to add some interesting things and make it stand out a bit more.

Level 10
When some people say monotone (especially when END says it :p) they mean to (in general) make it more interesting. In this case, its not all that monotone (considering you have the grey and orange tones) but you just need to add some more things to make it look interesting. Sure, it looked good when you had it to begin with, but it was a tad too plain. However, dont go completely changing the colour scheme. Thats what ends up making it look like poo. Just instead try to add some interesting things and make it stand out a bit more.

Where I live, monotone means little amount of different colors ^^

Ok, will do it. I've actually changed the boots a little (to better, of course). And I too like the grey beard a lot more than the red one.

Level 10
Ganondorf, you can add some orange and red tones, something like fire... i mean make it a burned ancient or something alike ;) it will look nice...
and leave the bread black, as it is now

I've come to a conclusion that I'll make him a rock giant (Golem, whatever) controlled by some blue-ish energy. pretty much I'll add lava cracks all over his body, arms, maybe face, but it'll be colored in blue to fit the eyes and staff. I like 2-colored the best.

I've come to a conclusion that I'll make him a rock giant (Golem, whatever) controlled by some blue-ish energy. pretty much I'll add lava cracks all over his body, arms, maybe face, but it'll be colored in blue to fit the eyes and staff. I like 2-colored the best.
Ok, i like the blue- crystalish style too :)
great job

I'm almost finished... Now i will do more shading and more "variantion", so it wont be so monochrome...
Give feedback, plz :wink:

Attachments

• EredarWIP.JPG
    EredarWIP.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 189
  • Eredar Texture.JPG
    Eredar Texture.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Level 34
Can shiiK, 67chrome, THE_END or some other moderator confirm whether my idea fits the theme or not? A killer doll, marionette, animated with the power of magic, mostly made out of polished and treated wood - would it be considered as a golem?

I'm almost finished... Now i will do more shading and more "variantion", so it wont be so monochrome...
Give feedback, plz :wink:
The quality of the texture is rather good, but the appearance is rather monotone and boring, at the moment. First of all, you never want to have 100% black-white parts, not even for metal textures, you always want to tint it, at least slightly, just so it's not entirely gray and dull. If you want to make clean metal, tint it slightly blue, if you want a rusty and scrapped metal look, tint it slightly orange. If you plan on doing that, don't just take the whole skin and tint it with the exact same blue, exact same saturation. Color those parts differently from one another, or you can color "bracer"-type of metal parts this blue, chest and leg metal parts that blue, etc. So what I'm trying to say is, use "colored" gray, not black-white gray, you understand?
Next, you should do something to make the skin appear somehow unique, or at least try. If it fails, then start from here again. A little tip, try making a little backstory (if not public, then just for yourself) of the character that your skin is supposed to represent. It will help you with details, those unique parts and explain why is something on your skin they way it is (in case you make something weird-looking :p). Another tip, try observing other people's work and see if you can learn something from their experience. However, you shouldn't copy their work and ideas, but you should get an inspiration and innovate ideas from their's.

Level 34
thanks! :D
but i dunno, i might change my model to a hydralisk. an idea just popped in my mind and i might give it a shot
Ampharos_222, about your skin, it looks really good so far, although, it shares the same issue as Blood Raven's skin. The metal texture should be tinted, read what I posted earlier. That's just my opinion on how it should look like, I'm not saying it must be like that, but I recommend it, if my recommendation means anything to you.
Oh, and if you start with a new skin, finish this one after you're done with the new skin, or finish it now, however you like.

Level 38
Can shiiK, 67chrome, THE_END or some other moderator confirm whether my idea fits the theme or not? A killer doll, marionette, animated with the power of magic, mostly made out of polished and treated wood - would it be considered as a golem?

I'd say yes, For the general scope of the contest the only magically animated creature type I really wouldn't consider in theme is undead. So stained glass knights, elementals, scarecrows, clockwork golems, voidwalkers, infernals, sludge monsters, water elementals, and so on would likely work for the theme as well, though shiik may have a slightly different viewpoint on this.

Level 8
Well both skins are excellent, and I kind of feel bad in saying this, but I actually prefer your older version to this one. It is a WIP, but I really liked the metal and lava color combination, your new one seems less distinct, the armor doesn't seem to fit as well as the last one. The face on this new guy looks great, but still where the light armor meets the dark armor it doesn't look right to me. It looks like he was made out of like 3 different types of metal, and atm they just don't fit well together to me (I've never made a skin or model! so take any feedback from me with a grain of a salt, I'm just trying to help by giving you my natural reaction). However, it might look a lot better once you've shaded the joints or something, maybe the colors out some where the different metal colors meet.

Keep going Ampharos! I'm rooting for you :)

Level 8
Oh wow I replied too soon... now I r a fool.

Awesome dude, idk what else to say, it looks awesome to me lol I mean... what can you improve?!? Its awesome.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

If that's a magma body I see, Ampharos, I suggest you make it glow onto the metal parts. It looks slightly out of place right now.

FrIkY, yes, you're within the boundaries, go ahead.

67chrome said:
I'd say yes, For the general scope of the contest the only magically animated creature type I really wouldn't consider in theme is undead. So stained glass knights, elementals, scarecrows, clockwork golems, voidwalkers, infernals, sludge monsters, water elementals, and so on would likely work for the theme as well, though shiik may have a slightly different viewpoint on this.
Not sure about Voidwalkers, as they're more of a ghost-thing, but the others would do.

Level 10
attachment.php

Thoughts?

I'm going to remove the teamcolor, since it fucks up the whole color scheme. I'd love to make the runes team colored though... But fuck that without editing the model itself.

@Ampharos_222:

I dunno about those teeth... They look so blunt. Sharpen them so they look like a sharp triangle. The rest is interesting... But it looks kind of Clustered on. I dunno, I think the chest part should have more metal

Attachments

• What do you think.PNG
    What do you think.PNG
    240.8 KB · Views: 345
Level 10
Pretty nice. Not a fan of the cyan fur though, at least tone it down a bit. The face and white things look awesome. I suggest you freehand the staff and lanterns though. Maybe you could turn the lanterns into big chunks of glowing crystal somehow? The staff definitely needs a lot of work though.

The fur is supposed to be that color because the lattern on his *cough* back *cough* is coloring it like that with it's light. A nice idea I had in mind ^^ But I'll desaturate it a little.

@Vermillion Edict:

Will do.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

k i decided imma start today :p
heres my concept
ani076.gif

I hope that this is "Golem" enough ;D

As far as I can tell, that's a turtle with claws and an overgrown shell. So unless you come up with a way of making the "body" of an inorganic material I'm going to say no. :v

A teddy bear doesn't really count as a golem considering it is (presumably) stuffed with cotton (organic) and that a teddy bear resembles a bear (and does so well), hence making a "bear" into a teddy bear is not accepted. I'm sorry.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Cotton is organic. But please feel free to go through with your idea anyway (sooner or later), and submit it to our section. I just won't let you make it an entry - it would be hard to compare with, well, golems. :3

On a side-note, "Toy" as theme could be interesting for a future contest.

Level 10
Cotton is organic. But please feel free to go through with your idea anyway (sooner or later), and submit it to our section. I just won't let you make it an entry - it would be hard to compare with, well, golems. :3

I wanted to see a pedobear :(

BTW if that contest is gonna be hosted, I'd make A Buzz Lightyear from a war3 marine :3

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

That's pretty awesome.

And about the teddy bear.. considering I've already given a green light for golems built of wooden parts (FrIkY's doll), you could make your teddy bear out of wooden parts (rather than cotton or plush). It would still be pretty original, and also more challenging than making a teddy bear out of a teddy bear. :p

Level 38

We almost went with a toy theme a few contests back.

For the purposes of this contest I think considering cotton organic is a little extreme though, it's about as organic as oil or flour. Organic and inorganic can be interpreted in a lot of different ways though, but in the context of this contest I think alive and not alive is probably more fitting than bio-mater and minerals/inorganic compounds.

Now that you brought up the voidwalker thing I'd say wc3 style voidwalker is more undead while WoW voidwalker is more shadow elemental, in which case the later would probably be more acceptable and the former not as much.

@TurtleRacingCar: Someone did actually turn an abomination into a teddy bear, made him bleed stuffing and turned his cleaver into a creamsicle. I've spent about an hour looking for it and can't find it though, someone must have removed it. It was pretty awesome. But turning a bear that stands on it's hind legs into a teddy bear isn't the most stellar interpretation of the theme.

I like what the owlbear is looking like so far, keep up the good work on that bad boy :)

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I've altered the rules slightly to define a clear barrier between acceptable and unacceptable. None of the currently accepted concepts should be affected by this (as far as I know).

Rules said:
You must choose an organic unit and turn it into a Golem.

* The Golem must be made out of these materials: minerals, metals, processed wood (treants are not allowed) and/or clay (ceramics).
* The Golem can be decorated, armoured or detailed otherwise with any non-synthetic material (moss on rock, for instance).
* A Golem is a mindless being brought to life either by mechanical means (an automaton) or magical means (excluding undead).

I hope this makes it easier for new entrants to understand the theme as well as define a clear boundary of the theme for the judges to use when comparing each entry. Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 9
ya i remember this abo... and i didnt find it too, so i wasnt sure if it was just a dream or a drunken mans phantasy.

the organic and anorganic discusion ends in nowhere, so lets stop it. copying the wood idea from my friend wouldnt be nice, too.
so i just try my best in metal parts now, but i hate painting it :D

edit: sorry for all the trouble shiiK :D
and thanks Debode for the Link

Level 34
Small WIP, I'm still testing with the polished wood texture. I never actually made polished wood before, so this is my first try. It doesn't look that polished to me, but then again, if I try making it any more polished, it wouldn't fit Wc3. Oh, the dilemma, what should I do? If this doesn't turn out good, I'll try another technique I planned.
You may notice that there's a small issue with the wrap on her knees. I'm not talking about the holes, I alphaed that out, but the actual wrap issue. I'll fix that later when I'm done with all the wood parts.
Oh and, I will first make the whole wooden part of the body and then decide where to put clothes, details and etc.

Attachments

• skin-2.png
    skin-2.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 86
  • Wip_2.png
    Wip_2.png
    71.4 KB · Views: 139
Status
Not open for further replies.