• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tetris. Now in SC2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Just to test out how powerful the trigger editor of SC2 is alone, I decided to recreate the popular cult game of tetris. After watching many abismal fails people had at reproducing it on youtube and after getting bored the only custom game online being chess, I decided to show how it is really meant to be done.

Here it is, a tetris prototype version. The basic engine too no more than 2 days to create, of which 33% of that time was learning and practice.

attachment.php

What is finished...
  • All pieces.
  • Multi color support.
  • Collision and bounds.
  • Piece rotation.
  • Fast fall (space).
  • Row flashing (when completed).
  • Loss and reseting.
  • Keyboard support.
  • Multiplayer (up to 14 players playing the same tetris game although the space bar will bug).

What has still to be finished...
  • Score.
  • Game restart graphics.
  • Proper multiplayer modes.
  • Levels (with faster speed and different icon art).
  • Pro support (instant fall, fast move left and right).
  • Compact map.
  • Add tetris resources (copywrite problems might occur).
  • Publish map to public (can not due to publishing being down currently).

Screenshots will come eventually, I hope.

Attachments

• Tetris V0.2.SC2Map
    20.1 KB · Views: 166
  • Screenshot2010-07-18 01_15_13.jpg
    Screenshot2010-07-18 01_15_13.jpg
    431.5 KB · Views: 1,047
  • Screenshot2010-07-18 01_14_48.jpg
    Screenshot2010-07-18 01_14_48.jpg
    421.5 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Level 11
Add in "Hold" too. Basically, where you press a key and it swaps your current piece with one in a storage area - if there is no piece there, it just puts it in the storage area.

Also, doing it with supply depots would be kinda silly when this is an experiment with custom UI. He could replace the icons for various things with unit icons I guess, but that would ruin the color aspect as tinted unit icons looks silly.

Also hidden tags on the screenies plox.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
He could replace the icons for various things with unit icons.
Exactly what was going to be done when levels are implimented. Each level changes the icons of every piece and adds new colours.

This was based on the orignal NES tetris, which only showed the next piece. There was no double next or piece swap like in modern tetris, atleast as far as I know.

you should try remaking it with Supply Depots..
I take it you are being sarcastic since some person already did it with supply depots. Most of the youtubes of it report hideous and herendous bugs which are not present in mine. Additionally mine could be used as a minigame inside a map with a little bit of coding unlike the others which require fixed terrain areas.

Level 5
i dont know if its the same with a starcraft 2 map, but i got trouble when i published my first C# game called "Tetrisclone", that is because "Tetris" is a trademark of "Alexei Paschitnow", the original author of tetris, and its forbidden to name any game "Tetris" or anything with "Tetris" inside. You could call it "Game full of falling blocks" instead

Level 27
Nah, needs something more intresting... you know, a more creative name...

Oh, you could write an e-mail to that Alexei Paschitnov (Doubt it's W, more possible V, Polish names have W, Russian don't). You know, asking a permission. Since I talk Russian, I may help you write the letter. And no worries, he should understand you. He's really intrested in making his game popular and he should know about Starcraft 2 for God's sake, a man who played WoW and is a game developer can't not know about SC2.

Level 11
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tetris_Company

The Tetris Company is all about money and this will all depend on how premium maps work, and if it resembles at all the Apple App store or Google Android store. All Tetris versions that werent owned by the Tetris company were forced to be taken down, despite them being solid apps.

Personally I loved playing a game called Tris (Tetris without "et"), it loaded up fast and was really easy to use. Then The Tetris company put out their own app, got all others removed, and their app isn't even good. So I would assume that it would be more then just the name being a problem, but the actual game itself. But who knows if the SC2 map market will be significant in any sense.

Level 3
Umm correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't blizzard own all the sc2 maps? if so then I highly doubt the tetris company would take the time to make a map that blizzard would own and therefore no reason to have all the other ones removed

Level 11
The Tetris Company probably doesn't want any tetris anywhere that isnt theirs, because it takes away users from their own profits. If the Tetris Company doesn't want any Tetris in Starcraft 2, they have that right, because their patents specifically dictate how Tetris works and so nothing can resemble that if they choose.

And Blizzard does own all Starcraft II maps so they are the ones who would get sued if they did not take it down.

Level 27
Bllizard definetly won't make this map premium, they will make only really Epic maps Premium, any minigame like tetris has no chance to be one, therefore The Tetris idiot company can't get any profit from it and can't be intrested. Plus it's just a mod, not a stand-alone game!

Level 11
It could be that Tetris hires a professional team to make the game or hires Blizzard to make a premium game. It all depends on how the premiums are implimented and how many copies of this game are sold. But I would be suprised if the Tetris Company even notices Starcraft II, so I suppose this is all irrelivant.

I doubt they would care honestly, SC2 is a pretty crappy place to play Tetris. Not like this would pull away consumers from their main market (cell phone games).

Well people COULD be playing it here, burn out on Tetris, and decide not to go and buy one for their Iphone/Droid. But again, the numbers will probably be too small to noice.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Just incase you think I abandoned this map, actually I can no longer edit it until 27/July cause my editor has started asking for online activation again (no clue why, I guess it was told to do so every week). As the beta has ended this means I have no axcess to the editor until I purchase the game on the 27th.

Status
Not open for further replies.