• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #10: Poll

And the winner is...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Just to avoid possible future confusion. I am not a judge. This is just my own personal review. It sucks that I couldn't finish my entry in time. Oh well.

Terrain Contest #10 Review

johannesr: Not bad, although I would have liked to see more of the wooden platforms. Also you need to add pathing blockers at the end of the board walks. I could move off the boards and into space. The camera system did get pretty annoying at times, but don't worry that didn't factor into my scoring. I'm just saying.
Playability - 3/10
Theme - 5/10
Technical - 3/10
Creativity - 3/10
Total - 14/40

Raven0: Playability was pretty good. However, with the snow, glow doodads, and the massive amount of flashing lights on the walk way, it felt a little too chaotic. The most surrealistic piece in this contest imo. Good use of doodads and over all a wonderful terrain.
Playability -6/10
Theme - 9/10
Technical - 6/10
Creativity - 8/10
Total - 29/40

laserdude: Too many different textures clash horribly. Playability is just flat ground, no floating platforms or anything like that. No construction, you simply placed doodads. But don't give up, keep practicing and check out some of our epic tutorials. They will help you out alot.
Playability - 1/10
Theme - 2/10
Technical - 1/10
Creativity - 1/10
Total - 5/40

eMo2LoVe: The playablity wasn't that good since the whole thing was flat, no height variation. It also felt very monotone in the different parts. Needs more detail and excitement. I found the repeating death sounds of the mortar team really annoying. lol
Playability - 2/10
Theme - 5/10
Technical - 3/10
Creativity - 2/10
Total - 12/40

The_Olorin: The camera system was horrible, although that doesn't affect your score. Terrain was very chaotic. Too much fog, lighting doodas, fire, etc. Playability was bad. His feet went through the tiles in the main room. Didn't feel really surrealistic to me. The town of little people was pretty cool but I didn't like the other rooms that much. They just felt too spammed.
Playability - 2/10
Theme - 3/10
Technical - 2/10
Creativity - 4/10
Total - 11/40

chilla killa: Cool textures. The playablity was pretty boring. Just cliffs and the raise tool, for the most of it. You should have done more of the walkable floating doodads.
Playability - 2/10
Theme - 4/10
Technical - 2/10
Creativity - 3/10
Total - 11/40

OffGraphic: Interesting idea and the flying seal was pretty cute. However it had no pathing other then the pathing blockers on the sides. It's just an open field that you can go from one end to the other.
Playability - 1/10
Theme - 4/10
Technical - 2/10
Creativity - 3/10
Total - 10/40

Oziris: Nice job. The playability was good. I like to see various levels of height and stairs or ramps leading up to them, and your's has that. However it needs pathing blockers at the bottom right. You can just run up the series of walls instead of needing to go around in circles on the path to get to the top. But a good entry.
Playability - 6/10
Theme - 7/10
Technical - 5/10
Creativity - 6/10
Total - 24/40

De.Facto: Wow, this one was really cool. The pathing was pretty good. I really like the cloudy half of the map. The crystals look pretty good in that. Really well made environment. However, trigger's had a huge effect on the ingame quality of your terrain. Also the textures of the walls are very stretched. But still one of the better entries.
Playability - 6/10
Theme - 7/10
Technical - 7/10
Creativity - 7/10
Total - 27/40

Evil Redneck: Playablity was average. It wasn't really surrealistic. However, you did manage to create a pretty nice environment.
Playability - 4/10
Theme - 2/10
Technical - 5/10
Creativity - 2/10
Total - 13/40

-Kobas- : Good playability and good use of alpha tiles. However, it looked very messy and chaotic. Also, when making a terrain for show, I recommend not adding in extra units. They kind of take the focus away from the terrain when you have to fight them.
Playability - 6/10
Theme - 5/10
Technical - 5/10
Creativity - 4/10
Total - 20/40

Results:
1-Raven0 - 29/40
2-De.Facto - 27/40
3-Oziris - 24/40

So my vote goes to Raven0. Good job all and good luck.

I will also post my thoughts for each entry, so that you realise why I gave my vote to...

1) Evil Redneck
To be completely honest, this was more of a map to be played, than a terraining show-off piece. It feels magical, not surreal, which is the difference most contestants didn't realise. Sure it has some incoherent stuff bunched up together into one map, but all together didn't match. A natural setting with wisps, sea = a night elven place. The rest, e.g. floating books, a bed with ZzzZ, when its owner is standing, didn't infuse surreal elements to the whole set.

2) chilla_killa

I expected more from you, to be honest. The whole setting reminds us of a 2d game, rather than a surreal scenery. It hits a monotone look of brown and the whole surrealism derrives from a bunch of floating cubes. I was checking once every while, to see you updating it, but you didn't change a thing, even when you saw some good quality entries around. Your terrain lacks variation and you are overusing a model, when other contestants are also using it (the blocks), but they added way more elements to represent the theme of the concept.

3) OffGraphic

The whole "electricity" of the terrain strikes from an icey scenery and four undead torch-type structure. The whole set seems to be caged within the boundaries of Warcraft III's environment concept, which limited your imagination too much. The terrain piece doesn't seem to contain any surreal elements.

4) eMo2LoVe

A good alternative for Mario's adventures. Cubes in a dark background that make them look like self-illuminating doesn't actually assign surrealism to them. The placement seems to be rather unorganized, Z-wise, the models seem to have a variation, but X- & Y-wise, you are creating a dull pattern, as if you are creating walkable areas in a map.
Finally, the result seems to be a modern electronic poster and doesn't seem to bear the melancholy a surreal piece has.

5) The_Olorin

The central area of the map contains a colorful floor, a big tree in the middle, a snowing effect and a fireplace = Christmas time. The next room is consisted of a village, nothing surreal at all. The next room is consisted of a bunch of lightnings that they create a really intense differenentiation with the rest scenery, making it feel like the terrain is split into three different worlds. The other room is consisted of a scenery that looks like the birthplace of a fairy and the final room is hosting the portal to hell.
I admit you have put a lot of work into it, but the execution was a desperate placement of random effects, which didn't induce me to tally it with the theme of the contest.

6) laserdude

Another map to be played. Just because you had to make the terrain piece playable, it doesn't mean that you would have to make it concept-wise as well.
You are using the Blizzard trees and cliffs, a huge con, repeatedly told by terrainers in the Terraining section. The only thing I liked is the waterfall running from the portal, as if it's running out of a different dimension. Another thing I liked are the ships floating above a chaotic area, but the execution was poor and you needed custom models to make a better representation.
I heavily dislike the fact that you are drawing areas with different concepts for each of them.

7) De.Facto

Beautiful clock you got there, but again, magical, not surreal. Your actual identity in terrain seems to be really smothered. The use of those crystal models is something we've already seen by you and I am sure everyone defined your modding skills through the Arcadia mod, but just because one recipe leads you to winning a contest, it doesn't mean that you won't try something different. I was a bit disappointed that you once again, heavily based the terrain off the same ol' crystals. If you throw the crystals away, there is nothing left, that's my point.

8) -Kobas-

Beautiful, but many flaws within. The set reminds me of Megafyr's winning terrain shot, in the Apocalypse contest. Your terrain definitely touches the definition of surrealism, but still, it doesn't exactly unify with it.
You were too busy placing the doodads, that you forgot the most important thing: tile variation. Currently, your terrain is consisted of a single tile.
The big well is really beautiful, but the purple sfx creates a flashing effect, which doesn't match with your terrain. Generally, beautiful, a ruined scenery with magical effects layering it up. What you lacked was variation.

9) johannesr

A melee map, disguised in a terraining activity. It also echoes a really unfinished feeling. Doesn't seem to pay off.

10) Oziris

Another sumbission that uses the ice model to such an extent. The mini-town you've engulfed within the block of ice is interesting, but it doesn't contribute to the surreal event of the submission. The area with the multiple colors for the ice blocks seems to be a disco floor. The only place I see fitting with the theme is the sun, centered in that blocks' square; no matter how warm its rays are, they don't seem to melt that ice. The candles are a great touch, but I can't avoid thinking of Harry Potter. There are generally many flaws, but I admit it has enough surreal elements; if only you didn't shroud your whole scenery into ice..

11) Raven0

Best terrain. Your concept was amazing, your execution was amazing, your terrain piece sends out vibes of melancholy, it's just great. Congratulations.

My vote goes for Raven0.

Note for every contestant: Anything floating doesn't automatically render it a surreal piece. All of you heavily based yourself either on playability or floating stuff. The contest didn't have variation among the entries and most encountered lack of imagination.

Last edited:
Level 36
Unforseen problems can occur, you know. And I am not about to blame ANYONE that finds it a hard time to make judgements, let alone dont get time to finish theirs. On that note, however, Megafyr just sent me a PM and told me that he will not be able to do them, due to school "problems." That means that I am in need of another judge. (possibly two if Arcany doesn't show up soon)

Hell it's about time ^^
images

Level 36
So, yeah.

Arcany doesn't seem to be alive and Void didn't know it was a playable terrain contest, he doesn't have his wc3 installed, so he wont be judging after all. I will throw together a judgement and make just mine and M0rbid's ones be the valid ones, I am fucking tired of waiting around for people that doesn't keep their damn promises.

If anyone else suddenly feel the urge to judge, make contact with me before I'm done with mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.