• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terrain Showcase

Level 11
The development process of the playable demo has come to a point where you can see first results. Most of the needed models have been done. At least some textures need to be refined, adding some details etc. In this thread Goldendemon, the terrainer of my choice, will post WIPs and screenshots of his work. The models are optimized for 3rd person view, so maybe they lack quality if viewed from above.

In this post you find a compilation of all screenshots posted in this thread in chronological order:

Greetings Thy

Last edited:
Level 11
Long time no update. I have some WIPs for you folks. Tell me what you think about the new rock texture.

Like I said, still WIP. That means think like groundvegetation etc is still missing.

1. random shot
2. a fjord
3. cliffside next to a lake
4. a small village

Level 8
Awesome but you might want to make the rocks have a different kind of brown. Like said above, they look a bit like giant brains. I think its cause of the blue and purple in the rocks being too strong. Other than that, awesome job :)

Level 11
Here are some additional WIPs for you folks. Still the major part of the ground vegetation is missing. But I think the progress is far enough to give you an imagination what to exspect.

1+2 : A small lake with some waterfalls
3. : A bridge
4. : Another bridge

Greetings
Thy

Level 11
Just two small shots to give you an impression how the vegetation can/would look in the demo. In the ingame screenshot you'll notice the small FPS display. We try to place the doodads in a way that the frames always keep higher than at least 24/s. These are still WIPs. Tilevariation will be added too, as soon as Goldendaemon finds time.

Level 11
Another WIP. Some merchants have come to town to sell their goods.(right now they are off for having a beer, that's why you can't see them :wink:)

Level 11
I created a new sets of houses, cause I felt like the old ones doesn't match the other doodads anymore. For those of you who want to scream: "Hah, got ya! Thats a WoW rip!!11". You are wrong. I didn't rip those models. They are all made from scratch. Same for the textures. I took the arathibuildings as pattern.

Level 11
I figured out how I can create caves and passages while having the camera adjusting itself to provide optimal vission/sight.

This passage can be used as an optional route between two areas in the demo. Of course passing it won't be that easy. Seems so, that someone or something has blocked it. But it's hiding during daylight. Because of that you can't see him/it :wink:

Greetings
Thy

Level 11
It's nice of you to say I would earn tons of money if creating an independent platform version of Darkwind. But to be honest... I'm far, far away from being good enough to create a game that can be sold. That requires much higher skills in animation, texturing, scripting, coding and everthing else. This is still a hobby, even I spend a lot of time into it.

Level 11
Not sure if anyone else brought this up previously, but it'd be much more convenient to have all screenshots organized and updated to the first post of the thread.

Thanks for that suggestion, I simply forgot it :)

Two new screens for you folks. I managed to create realistic day and night lighting. See the new video for more information.

Greetings
Thy