• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terrain Editor Features!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
for the RAISE tool, i think that instead of extending its height to 90 degrees, that it should go past it... and make a cliff that looks like this :

X

Level 8
If Chuck Norris would lend us his 1337 powers we could make stackable maps on top of eachother, like with different floors, which would be awesome for buildings!! : o (Maybe he could solve the model-dissapear-issue-with-heigh-z-value too!)

Actually, thats possible to do but you need to trigger it.

Level 36
Actually, thats possible to do but you need to trigger it.

And it's impossible to make a system like that which is MUI/MPI in WC3. It would only work for one unit at a time (excluding neutral creeps and shit that just stand there). Although I guess you could do some system with fly heights, but that would be painful and it would have extreme restrictions since you can't use a region detect for the upper level because it would detect the lower level, so you would need to put two regions on the stairs going up to the upper level, one for going up and one for going down.

Level 8
No, you use reigons and you check if the units flying height is 0 in that reigon so then you could raise him higher. It was done by Toadcop in Tcx. Its possible but complicated.

Level 8
No. He used the magical bridge or some kind of doodad for the bridge and units can walk over it and beneath it without problems.

Level 36
I'd like to be able to modify the terrain on all three axises.

Axes? :p

And yeah, that would be a really cool idea, although I'm not sure WC3's engine could support it. In fact, I'm pretty sure it can't, because I think it converts the terrain you make in the editor to some kind of heightmap data and then when you load the map in WC3 it reads that.

I'm not even sure next-gen games have 3D heightmaps.

Level 21
double-facepalm.jpg

Level 8
So when are you starting?

120 degree cliffs
Higher cliffs than 9000 or lower than -9000 by a lot(Raised Terrain)
Pathing were 2 units can be right above each other and different floors but not attack each other unless no destructible is in the way
Blizzard Cliffs that can go above each other infinitly(or a high value)
More than one fog at once
Sky box to cover up the whole map

Level 11
Would it be possible to group some doodads, and make them into 1. So if I made a building out of a couple of doodads, I could select them and turn them into one, for easier movement, placement etc, or is it a massive idea of h4x?

Level 8
And less lag ingame cause if you have one big doodad, there's less to load. Thats why WOW has so many building doodads instead of small doodads making up the buildings.

Level 15
Wait a moment here... Hawk900, you want to make a brand new World Editor? for just creating cinematic type terrains, or for actual modding, and be able to play maps created using this new editor?

I'm not even sure next-gen games have 3D heightmaps.

There's an engine called the C4 Engine, allows for the creation of complete 3D terrains (from arches to caves and everything in between) using something similar to the raise/lower tool you find in the WE. I have had the privilege of using said engine, and it is awesome.

Level 15
Umm, as much as i would love to be all supportive and whatnot, all i have to say is... ARE YOU SANE?

Seriously, when were you planning to put your life on hold to do all of this? Do you even know anything about the inner workings of the w3x file format, and what language are you planning on using?

Level 36
There's an engine called the C4 Engine, allows for the creation of complete 3D terrains (from arches to caves and everything in between) using something similar to the raise/lower tool you find in the WE. I have had the privilege of using said engine, and it is awesome.

Shit, really? Because the mathematics involved in making something like that would be EXTREMELY complicated o.o''

So, say if I were to make a hill in this engine, I could then make a tunnel through it without placing objects?

Level 24
Umm, as much as i would love to be all supportive and whatnot, all i have to say is... ARE YOU SANE?

Seriously, when were you planning to put your life on hold to do all of this? Do you even know anything about the inner workings of the w3x file format, and what language are you planning on using?

1) I don't really have a life over the summer, and beyond that I have school, during which I don't do any work.
2) Yes, I do have some knowledge of the inner workings of the .w3x. Furthermore docs are available. I imagine that the format is going to be the smallest of issues.
3) Python. <3

EDIT: So basically. I have as much time as I could possibly want to finish this thing. My only time constraint is the release of Sc2.

My basic plan goes like this:
1) Make a basic terrain editor. Raise/Lower, ect/
2) Export this to a w3x.
3) Go back add features.
4) Export these as I make them.

Well that would be absolutely wonderful, but I'm not sure that's possible, and if it is, it would screw up acquisition ranges so badly. You'd find yourself walking around in the city while getting shot at through the ground by the final boss of the dungeon below.

Not if you find a way to make units ignore acquisition from units in diferent levels. (unless they are targetable).

Level 24
Guys. This is a terrain editor, not adding massively new features to in-game play. It's designed as a tool to make modding easier, not to revelutionize the game. Hopefully, there will be things that the WE cannot do, but it's not going to be screwing around with the aquisition range of units.

Level 8
120 degree cliffs
Higher cliffs than 9000 or lower than -9000 by a lot(Raised Terrain)
Pathing were 2 units can be right above each other and different floors but not attack each other unless no destructible is in the way
Blizzard Cliffs that can go above each other infinitly(or a high value)
More than one fog at once
Sky box to cover up the whole map

Those stuff arent changing the WE completely or massively.

Level 15
Shit, really? Because the mathematics involved in making something like that would be EXTREMELY complicated o.o''

So, say if I were to make a hill in this engine, I could then make a tunnel through it without placing objects?

Pshaw, easy sauce with C4...

I'll get you a screenie sometime.

Have fun Hawk900, because you haven't even finished that blender exporter and now you're working on a brand new terrain editor...

Level 21
1) I don't really have a life over the summer, and beyond that I have school, during which I don't do any work.
2) Yes, I do have some knowledge of the inner workings of the .w3x. Furthermore docs are available. I imagine that the format is going to be the smallest of issues.
3) Python. <3

EDIT: So basically. I have as much time as I could possibly want to finish this thing. My only time constraint is the release of Sc2.

My basic plan goes like this:
1) Make a basic terrain editor. Raise/Lower, ect/
2) Export this to a w3x.
3) Go back add features.
4) Export these as I make them.

1 question: is this going to be a newgen add-on? I think a stand-alone editor just for terraining would be a bummer...

Level 24
Have fun Hawk900, because you haven't even finished that blender exporter and now you're working on a brand new terrain editor...

Death, you seem to be missing the point. I will have fun. That's why I'm doing it.

As to the Blender editor, I'll write a scratch one eventually. Trying to fix up WarBlender was rather a lost cause. I did manage to get the mesh imported though.

Level 13
Some things for the improved WE:

- Move every doodad the angle you want, because with you only can set the angle to 90 180 270 and 0...
- Previews how the camera's will act in-game.
- A "How To" or "Turorial" tab that you can see how to do it instead of asking people.
- More music files allowed. (such as .MDI etc.)
- A tab with "Latest Imports".

Status
Not open for further replies.