• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hypothetical Terrain Editor Features

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
If I were to make such a thing (which I certainly plan to do over the summer), what would you want in it? What should be different from the WE and what should be the same/similar?

Personally, I'd go for:

• Intuitive Translation/Scaling/Rotation Controls
  • Easier and Faster Importing
  • Automated 'brushes' for types of terrain (ie: forest)

I have already received ideas for:
  • "Something to help with creating/blending height gradients in the terrain. It is very time consuming to create a large, perfectly sloped surface." - grim001
  • "Brush hardness/opacity controls for terrain height placement i.e. same as Photoshop or the Sculpt Geometry tool in Maya." - AnemicRoyalty

CnP'ed from Wc3C

Level 36
How about the ability to make cliffs higher than 2? How about a better system for water?

How about a snap-to-grid feature for doodads, so when you have the Grid enabled, doodads will snap to it whether they have a pathing map or not.

Oh, and maybe a way to rotate doodads on all axes right in the terrain editor rather than having to open up the object editor and edit numbers.

As for the copy and paste thing, the current feature in the world editor doesn't allow us to copy and paste both doodads and terrain at the same time.

Level 24
How about the ability to make cliffs higher than 2? How about a better system for water?

How about a snap-to-grid feature for doodads, so when you have the Grid enabled, doodads will snap to it whether they have a pathing map or not.

Yes.

Oh, and maybe a way to rotate doodads on all axes right in the terrain editor rather than having to open up the object editor and edit numbers.

Yeah, I was thinking of that. (Intuitive Translation/Scaling/Rotation Controls)

Thanks.

well, you mean ANY idea?
i do have lots of ideas :p

how about implementing magos into the we?
so one could load for example the footman, change it and save it right into the map...

more gui features!
like all the scripts you cen get implemented as gui so you just need to check or uncheck

override the max tilesets in the way that you can add them in the we

height map support

the ability to group doodads freely...
like all city houses in a city house group, all landsite in landsite and so on (the user could define those on their own in the we)

a simple little icon with which you can run the map in a window

i guess i'll come up with more!

Level 15
ability to rotate buildings as normal units (at least in editor)

not sure 'bout model editor, but at least smth like an ability to 'glue' models together, to use a s custom model (i think thats called geomerge? i'm 100% noob at modelling).

ability to choose portraits for models separately

map randomizing tool

sorry, if my ideas are impossible. don't know what is possible and what is not =)

Level 4
i use the WE alot, and what i find is that making a unit face the exact direction you want is EXTREMELY annoying, cause u must double click, then usually guess as to what angle is correct until u get it right, so id like to see a unit roatater option for once you place them, or as an option for in the unit palette.

Status
Not open for further replies.