• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terrain Editor Features!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
If there was to be a custom terrain editor, what would you want to find in it?
  • Intuitive Translation/Scaling/Rotation Controls
  • Easier and Faster Importing
  • Automated 'brushes' for types of terrain (ie: forest)

And some other ideas such as:

• "Something to help with creating/blending height gradients in the terrain. It is very time consuming to create a large, perfectly sloped surface." - grim001
  • "Brush hardness/opacity controls for terrain height placement i.e. same as Photoshop or the Sculpt Geometry tool in Maya." - AnemicRoyalty
  • "How about the ability to make cliffs higher than 2? How about a better system for water?" - Void

And yes, tilesets will be change-able.

Please, post all your ideas.

Level 36
I may as well just C&P it so people can see it here.

~Void~ said:
How about the ability to make cliffs higher than 2? How about a better system for water?

How about a snap-to-grid feature for doodads, so when you have the Grid enabled, doodads will snap to it whether they have a pathing map or not.

Oh, and maybe a way to rotate doodads on all axes right in the terrain editor rather than having to open up the object editor and edit numbers.

As for the copy and paste thing, the current feature in the world editor doesn't allow us to copy and paste both doodads and terrain at the same time.

Level 6
if you took the time to make a custom terrain editor lol y dont you just make a hole new game... i mean y would you put in the effort to make somthing that can already be made.

although i can say it would be cool if you could easily flip doodads, like not just move them from horizontal to vertical, but be able to flip them upside down and stuff.

Voids gettin close to 1000 reps !!!!!!!

Level 8
For all we know, sc2 can already have all these features. I would like to raise and lower terrain higher than 9000 by a lot and have perfectly 90 degree cliffs. Have blizzard cliffs go higher than 2 and have the water not only be blue on top but when you have the camera below the water, to have it blue there too. Have the sky box be the whole map. More skies to choose from. Max Pitch Roll Angle degrees to work perfectly. Less laggy editor.

~Void~ said:
How about the ability to make cliffs higher than 2?

This is the first problem that I ever noticed with the World Editor. I'd love to see higher cliffs. I hate how they have to go up in two's like stairs. It looks terrible and makes people required to use doodads as walls.

~Void~ said:
How about a better system for water?

I dislike the way the World Editor comes about making smooth water and cliff-edged pools. Agreed!

~Void~ said:
How about a snap-to-grid feature for doodads, so when you have the Grid enabled, doodads will snap to it whether they have a pathing map or not.

I just wish that you could place pathed objects as freely as non-pathed objects so long as they didn't converge with units. Such a feature would be enabled by holding Shift, for example. As it is only the second part of that feature is available.

~Void~ said:
As for the copy and paste thing, the current feature in the world editor doesn't allow us to copy and paste both doodads and terrain at the same time.

Yes, I've encountered situations where I've needed to do this.

For all we know, sc2 can already have all these features.

And they may just as easily not.

• Easier and Faster Importing

The problem is that the World Editor sticks that War3Imported/ tag in front of everything. I'd love to see an Import Manager that can import files without adding any text to the path and then identify the needed files and their paths. Once that is done it would prompt you to find those files. Also, an easier way to input the paths for icons and such would be nice. When importing a file or editing a path there should be options to quick add certain strings of text.

although i can say it would be cool if you could easily flip doodads, like not just move them from horizontal to vertical, but be able to flip them upside down and stuff.

Which is similar to ~Void~'s suggestion about making rotation easier. Instead of having to deal with all of the crap in the Object Editor, to be able to do it in the Terrain Editor easily and faster without effecting all other doodads of its kind would be nice.

What functions would I like to see for myself?

• As stated before, a better importing system that can identify used paths and such.
    • Hawkwing said:
      I'd love to see an Import Manager that can import files without adding any text to the path and then identify the needed files and their paths. Once that is done it would prompt you to find those files. Also, an easier way to input the paths for icons and such would be nice. When importing a file or editing a path there should be options to quick add certain strings of text.
  • The ability to make cliffs going in a diagonal direction without being in a zig-zag.
  • An easier way to path areas. Placing those pathing blockers gets really tiresome.

Last edited:
Level 24
okok but who can make this uber modification of WE? :p

Me, was the idea here. :)

How awesome would it be if the height of doodads weren't set to default when copying them?

Most certainly. ;)

I got an idea. How about a setting where you can set a certain angle, and any terrain steeper than that angle would be unpathable? So for example I set the angle to be 45 degrees, no unit could walk on terrain 45 degrees or steeper.

Interesting for sure, but it takes a lot of control out of the users hand. The feature might be too 'high-level'.

Level 8
I'd be cool if the terrain raise angle would be like 125 degrees. That way, you could make hills like in Zelda TP and in WOW(Origimmar Hills) without custom doodads. I'd also like to create custom pathings for a specific model instead of trying out all the wc3 ones. And it would be a lot easier with unlimited tilesets and cliff types on one map.

Level 8
There's a option for the doodads not to reset when you move them but only when you CnP. They should also let you click on a doodad and set its height in WE and see its current height.

I wish they'd have cliffs for each tileset and have no restrictions on which ones you put into your maps. That's usually a major downfall on maps like WoW Risk or World of Warcraft Reborn where you have multiple continents being terrained and each continent shares one cliff type. For example, Northrend could end up with sandy or grassy cliffs. I'm sure you can see that being a problem.

Level 10
I dont know if anyone said this or not but it would be cool if you where able to select a handfull (or however many you want) of doodads/objects then somehow deselect only the ones you dont want while the rest are still selected.

If that made any sense to anybody i will be suprised.

Oh, and diagonal regions! But im sure someone said that already.

Level 10
Yeah i knew about select all special. I was wondering if shift or ctrl did that lol oh well.

There should be the ability to import object data without deleting all the custom object data you already have. Tell me thats possible and i will cry...

Level 18
i think a feature needed in a new terrainer editor would definetly have to be :

better cameras. even though its not necessarly terrain, it gets annoying when doodads disappear because of camera height limits, and when your making getting a view, it is more epic with less give or take camera positioning and work.

what else ?

a mountain generator. Something that generates neat mountains....

i bet some one should make a mountain dooodad....

Level 21
Might as well say what I said on wc3c.net:

1) Grouped translations & rotations: when multiple doodads are selected, let them rotate around a common shared rotation axis instead of rotating each one independantly around their own axis
2) Numerical input for doodads: If you double click a doodad, its properties show up. This includes the rotation angle and X/Y/Z scaling. Add input to directly set a doodad's X/Y/Z coordinates similarly to how you modify scaling. Same for rotation angles. For example:

Doodad properties:

Coordinates:
X : 200.0
Y : 12.5
Z : -10.1

Scaling:
X : 1.2
Y : 1.2
Z : 1.0

Rotation:
X: 0.0
Y: 0.0
Z: 270.0

(When multiple doodads selected: ) Common rotation:
X: 0.0
Y: 0.1
Z: 0.0
^^ when multiple doodads selected, these rotation angles will rotate the whole group around a shared axis.

(checkbox:) Use fixed height
^^ when checked, moving the doodad along X/Y doesn't reset the height to the terrain height
(checkbox:) Ignore pathing
(Link:) View in object editor

3) Ignore object editor rules. You should be able to set a single doodad's scaling to 1.3 even though the object editor gives a maximum of 1.2

Level 18
What i want in a world editor

6MB for inports

More color tints for units

More terrain doodads including: mountains/better looking trees/animated doodads like trees grass (like in the UTM)

More options to change the weather.

Unlimited tiles to use in the map

Maximum mapsize 400

cave doodads.

Not that big of a list i think anyway this is what i would want :p

Level 8
Well almost all of those are amde. In UTM there are a shit load of underground models(look at wc3c.net model resource, they're there). Max map size in NewGen is 480, the new patch gives us 8mb map sizes, weather effects can always be made from custom.

Level 22
6mb for imports
take that up with blizzard.

Color tints
you can already achieve most if not all colors in the color wheel

More Doodads
import them yourself

More options to change weather
???

Unlimited Tiles
already noted

Mapsize 400
400 x 400? would take a while to terrain/dl/play on

Cave Doodads?
what are those? the built in caves on the walls?

Level 36
What i want in a world editor

6MB for inports

More color tints for units

More terrain doodads including: mountains/better looking trees/animated doodads like trees grass (like in the UTM)

More options to change the weather.

Unlimited tiles to use in the map

Maximum mapsize 400

cave doodads.

Not that big of a list i think anyway this is what i would want :p

That's not really what he's making... a lot of that shit is impossible or just a question of modeling.

Now, I don't know if this is possible, but maybe make it so you can actually tint a unit so it gets lighter?

Level 8
But those models are already made. About the tinting so a unit is lighter. Its impossible cause the colours all are already at max 255. Unless the colours were at 200 or so, you can't tint him lighter.

Hmm. The ability to make caves would be great - and not just those silly cave doodads with some movement triggers.

Mapsize 400
400 x 400? would take a while to terrain/dl/play on

Then Blizzard should consider on working on how Battle.net and their games handle this.

I think being able to change the alpha of a unit directly in the object editor would be nice.

You bet your ass it would be. ^_^

Level 8
That would be cool. It would be cool if you could select different parts of the model and set alpha to different parts but that would get really complicated.

Level 10
It would be cool if you could play a models animations in WE - and i dont mean in preview window.

And be able to use expodential fog (or whatever it is) without it covering everything - just the terrain. And if thats possible it would be really cool if you could use both at same time - linear and expodential.

And diffrent shaped region! Not just square =/

Level 8
Different fogs in different area's without GetLocalPlayer. Also more than one fog in the same place.

Level 19
If Chuck Norris would lend us his 1337 powers we could make stackable maps on top of eachother, like with different floors, which would be awesome for buildings!! : o (Maybe he could solve the model-dissapear-issue-with-heigh-z-value too!)

Status
Not open for further replies.