• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[Terrain] How to make hills???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Hi,

So I've been following this tutorial: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...timate-beginners-terrain-tutorial-35233/#step method

but the instructions seem a bit vague:

So, we will use a mid-size brush, maybe 2 or 3, I recommend 2 for now, and create a ridge or point where we want the tallest point of our hill to be. From then on we will move gradually down the hill raising the terrain up until it is just a little lower than the previous step until we reach flat ground again. Be sure to use the gridlines to help you form your hills accurately.

we will use a mid-size brush, maybe 2 or 3,

What is this? AFAIK there is no field to enter in the size of a brush? And what is this brush the tutorial is referring to?

From then on we will move gradually down the hill raising the terrain up until it is just a little lower than the previous step until we reach flat ground again

How is this possible to do by hand? The way WC3 does elevation is you have to make a click each time. Do people count their clicks, and say make the highest point 5 clicks, the second highest 4 clicks, etc.?

Be sure to use the gridlines to help you form your hills accurately.

I'm confused about this instruction as well. How should the gridlines match up when making a hill?

In any case here is what I was able to produce, but it doesn't look like a hill at all. Also I couldn't make it taller either, and how on earth do I make the slope, since I can't put in a number for each height elevation...

n3knet.png

Level 15
That's the brush size. But how do I specify the terrain height/elevation?

AFAIK I can only click where I want to increase. How do I set the height/elevation to a certain level, so when I click, it is always at that height?

There's a certain txt file that you'll need to create hills.

Oh I have misc.txt in the UI folder. I read stuff. But still can't make the hills...

Oh gosh. This is easy

Alas art has always been my weak point. I will hope one day I can call it easy too.

Level 21
The brushes can actually be applied by holding down the mouse button, but only if you keep moving the mouse.

About the grid lines, they show you the contour of the terrain more accurately than the shading you see ingame. This way you can avoid edges that are too sharp and in general see your result better.

The brushes can actually be applied by holding down the mouse button, but only if you keep moving the mouse.

About the grid lines, they show you the contour of the terrain more accurately than the shading you see ingame. This way you can avoid edges that are too sharp and in general see your result better.
Exactly that ^

Level 15

The brushes or the height?

How do I apply terrain height with a single click. Rather than having to click over and over to.

Do people count their clicks, and say make the highest point 5 clicks, the second highest 4 clicks, etc.?
Nope. Why would you do that? It would take a lot of time doing that!
Select a brush size and click on the terrain while keeping your finger on your left mouse button until it reached the desired height.
^ That!

Level 15
Select a brush size and click on the terrain while keeping your finger on your left mouse button until it reached the desired height.

This takes forever, and how can I calculate the height to make it even?

Holding the left click down doesn't increase height. I have to keep clicking it. >_>

Better yet, could someone be kind and make a quick map with some hills that I could look at and study? I haven't gotten anything to work yet :[

Hold Mouse + Move it around.

Avoid copy pasting at all costs when you use non-Blizzard Cliffs. It destroys the rolling shores.

What are you talking about?
Here is an example of a hill using the raise tool and it's copied brother. Notice the waves.
Test Height.png

Unless, of course, you mean something entirely different.

Level 15
Aye so how are terrainers so precise if everything has to be eye balled? I'm not sure it works that way in real life architecture/landscaping, or does it?

Status
Not open for further replies.