• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #9 - Poll #2!

Please Vote on the ~Theme~, ~Size~, and ~Level of Imports~!

• [b]~Concept~[/b]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [b]~Techtree Size~[/b]

• [b]~Level of Imports~[/b]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
Actual was Ebuz who initiated the contest preparations 2 months ago. Kyrib0 took charge because it was a mess. So 2 months of preparations and two concluded polls and we still haven't started. I honestly think we should stick with Forest vs Desert (Life vs Death) as statistically it was most voted and if we don't start soon the summer will be over.

Also I think multi-biome races are acceptable as there aren't that many pure-biome races anyway.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
~VOTES SO FAR~
eubz - ?
kyrbi0 - forest
veljkom - desert/forest
blackknightgs - desert
retera - ?
Kingz - jungle/desert/forest
hiphop4eva - ?
JokeMaster - forest/duskwood/underground (something for Shadow Elves)
Footman16 - ?
Eagle XI - ?
GhostThruster - ?

~~~

Kyrbi0 - forest&desert; full; 5th-race-addition
VelkjoM - forest&desert
Silly Lil Ant - forest&desert
Retera - forest&desert
Bannar - ?
Eagle XI - volcanic vs arctic/subterranean vs avian/desert vs forest/infernal vs heavenly (?)
Kingz - ?
GhostThruster - ?; full-as-maximum; ?
At this point, I would submit that we're not so much "voting" as "getting a consensus & letting people know". Still.

~Other Important Issue~
Definition of "Full Race" ~and~ Definition of Setting
Despite the voting, we need to really nail down our definition of "full-size factions", because we have learned (in the past 1000000 words :p) that that is not common-knowledge/sense. I assumed those who voted for "full-race" in the Poll read the sub-text and are OK with creating "full-warcraft-style races" (i.e. 4 3 heroes (for sensibility & consensus), 12 units, 10-11 buildings, 8-9 items, etc etc etc...). If NOT, please speak up now (GhostThruster being one of them, in case he doesn't get back in time).
~I vote for either FULL as described in the Poll & by Warcraft... Or heck, I'll always accept going for Partial as I voted. : )

Moreover, as discussed in some of the, *ahem*, larger posts on the previous page(s), we should clarify whether the Setting is truly "Warcraft"; i.e. is this 5th-Race-Addition style, or Replacement / Non-Thematic Fitting style, etc.
~I vote for "5th-race-addition"-style, Factions that are made to fit both Thematically & Mechanically amongst the original 4 (barring buff-stacking & perhaps the 4th Hero, because we're not masochistic. xD)

I'm going to vote for Life vs Death, as it will help provide a nice variety in races being made while not being too broad that following the theme becomes too difficult to judge.
Thanks for your vote.

I have notified all members who voted Biome but didn't express a particular biome via visitor messaging.
Hopefully that will speed things up.

Only one who i couldn't contact is GhostThruster.
Thanks for your diligence in reaching out.

Got a message I should vote on the biome. I think I saw an email before that the status quo was leaning towards Forest & Desert, which sounds good to me. Is there anywhere official I need to express that vote?
YOU JUST DUN DUN IT. :p

Retera said:
Might finish the furbolg race design ideas mentioned in the Heaven's Fall thread, if that's legal (I'd have to read the rules about issues with small amounts of prior work. Maybe make all new content for the contest with the same ideas, or just recycle models?)

Edit: ('cuz Furbolgs live in the forest)
You can choose whatever faction you want (that fits in the Theme); however, you couldn't use previous Techtree (Design, i.e. Object/Trigger/World Editor-work) work in this Contest, as that is an unfair (i.e. early start) advantage.

Previously-made resources, on the other hand (models, icons, art, etc)... Well, since everyone insanely voted for "Unlimited Imports", including somehow "resources made by the Contestant", whether the model existed before or not is immaterial, I believe. If you can't use your 'past work' then how can any of use the entirety of the Resource section (also 'past work')? :p

Hmm, im inclined to ask what would transient biomes count as, itselves ?
Fe. what if i wanted to make steppe orcs or tundra elves.
And what about multi-biome races ? Already in-lore example: Nerubians which live mostly in their underground kingdoms below the glacier(thus subterannean origin), but also do count as an species native to the continent of Northrend(evolvingly adapted to arctic climate) and thus could be used for either of both biomes(arctic or subterannean) without requiring any further(or only minimal) alteration between.

Another thing i need to know is if inhabitants of an heavenly/infernal landscape would count since 'alien planet' is mentioned, and technically the lore behind faction could be constructed such that it can counts as 'alien invaders from another planet'.

As somebody who rather is fond of evil races my votes are volcanic vs arctic, subterranean vs avian, desert vs forest, infernal vs heavenly. Whichever valid is.
I'm not sure you can pick a faction that exists only in one Biome/Climate/Continent. And it's easy enough to rationalize a race/faction living in a variety of climes (Naga: Sea, Island, Beach; Trolls: Forest, Tundra, Jungle, Desert, etc; Undead: EVERY-FREAKIN-WHERE... :p).

So no problem.

However, suggesting new Biomes might not help us get this started at this point... See the beginning of my post (besides, what races live in a volcano?? :p).

Thanks for your vote, though.

Actual was Ebuz who initiated the contest preparations 2 months ago. Kyrib0 took charge because it was a mess. So 2 months of preparations and two concluded polls and we still haven't started. I honestly think we should stick with Forest vs Desert (Life vs Death) as statistically it was most voted and if we don't start soon the summer will be over.
True.dat

Yeah, it's was eubz thread originally, but my (original) Theme idea, then yours... Whatevs. I threw the thread together so I could exercise some much-needed control over the Criteria/Parameters/whatnot, but I don't have any particular desire to "be in charge".

Level 21
Regarding the other important issues. I think for simplicity sake everyone can agree with the standard 4 heroes (blind eye if it is 3), 12 units (still not agreeing that all 4 races have equal 12 though but i'll accept the therms), 10-11 buildings and 9-10 items etc. Besides most people were going to do that anyway without any previous agreement (didn't it kinda work for the past 8 years?). We are making teach-tree for warcraft gamplay it is simple as that. When there is Gameplay making contest then do what you want with no limits.

Though I do say that non-warcraft inspired races should be ok or else we will have loads of disappointed people. Just browese around at suggested races and you'll already see that people are planing non warcraftian ideas. I myself hope to make generic desert swarm (there aren't that many desert races in warcraft unless you count barrens as desert).

Honestly with each passing day I suspect there will be less and less people that will actually live to see this contests starting and even less be able to finish. I personally have exams in september and I don't really see anymore me being able to participate (how naive I was to think this thing would have started month ago... yet now seems i'll have to make entire race in less then two weeks maybe one). Don't know what is situation with rest.

i reckon just start it now with forest vs death, full race, and unlimited imports since thats what the majority wants anyways. i will not be participating anyway (nothing pertaining to this contest or kyrbi0 is the reason behind this so dw)

also for 'biomes' i thought the theme meant make a race that encapsulates that biome, not make a race that happens to live in that biome. if it was the former, then i reckon u cud just let any biome be chosen, and the goal is to make a race that represents the chosen biome (ie. a desert race, a forest race, a tundra race NOT centaurs living the desert, night elves hugging trees, or tuskarrs building igloos).

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Regarding the other important issues. I think for simplicity sake everyone can agree with the standard 4 heroes (blind eye if it is 3), 12 units (still not agreeing that all 4 races have equal 12 though but i'll accept the therms), 10-11 buildings and 9-10 items etc. Besides most people were going to do that anyway without any previous agreement (didn't it kinda work for the past 8 years?). We are making teach-tree for warcraft gamplay it is simple as that. When there is Gameplay making contest then do what you want with no limits.
Not sure I like the idea of turning a blind eye; would rather just make it explicitly stated (i.e. "only have to make 3 Heroes, not the normal/full 4") so there's no confusion. Better for contestants, better for judges, etc.

Also, just because something "worked" in the past doesn't mean we can't fight to make it better. : ) And I'm not sure I'd call the last 7 Contests "working", at least not in the most ideal sense.

//NOTE - I totally messed up & have called this thing "Techtree Contest #7" the whole time, when it was actually #8. My bad. :p

Velkjom said:
Though I do say that non-warcraft inspired races should be ok or else we will have loads of disappointed people. Just browese around at suggested races and you'll already see that people are planing non warcraftian ideas. I myself hope to make generic desert swarm (there aren't that many desert races in warcraft unless you count barrens as desert).
I don't see why not (Barrens = Desert); I mean, that's pretty much what a a 'Desert' is. Barrens was basically Blizzard's answer to the need for a dismal, wasteland-type tileset in Frozen Throne (kinda like Korhal in the Brood War expansion).

And... No. There shouldn't be any 'disappointed people', because if there are literally tons of races to pick from (I pointed out 6-8+ for Forest alone; adding 'Barrens' would at least double that). When it comes down to it, it'll more be up to the judges (if "fitting to Wc3 Thematically" is indeed made a part of the Criteria, as I feel it should for this particular Contest).

I guess I'm confused. You say this:
Veljkom said:
We are making teach-tree for warcraft gamplay it is simple as that.
Yet in the same post say this:
Veljkom said:
Though I do say that non-warcraft inspired races should be ok or else we will have loads of disappointed people. Just browese around at suggested races and you'll already see that people are planing non warcraftian ideas.
It seems you distinguish "Thematic/Aesthetic/Story" elements & "Mechanic/Gameplay/Role" elements in terms of "whether or not it fits Wc3"... Where I'm kinda arguing we should pursue both.

But anyway, at this point it's, perhaps, good enough that we've made such major changes to the way things are run & the judging & voting criteria.

Veljkom said:
Honestly with each passing day I suspect there will be less and less people that will actually live to see this contests starting and even less be able to finish. I personally have exams in september and I don't really see anymore me being able to participate (how naive I was to think this thing would have started month ago... yet now seems i'll have to make entire race in less then two weeks maybe one). Don't know what is situation with rest.
Lol... Unfortunately this might be true.

I think it might behoove us to allow this to be 'on the backburner' / 'on hold' until the next big break (Winter?). I'd love to start this, but like you (all) I'm going to become even more busy in ~2 weeks... And (selfishly) I kinda want to see the Hero Contest more (esp. if this is a full-race-size contest, I feel a lot more confident about being able to complete a Hero in the deadline, rather than an entire Techtree))

An alternate suggestion might be to run a "Mini-Techtree Contest"... Hmm, might have to write up a Submission post for that. I'll let you know. :p

Exams starting in about 10 days.
I kinda expected this to start like 2-3 days after the poll ended.

But alas, every contest is a slugfest to start.
Sorry man. I was kinda hoping so as well; didn't foresee how much debate we'd get into here. Kinda wish it weren't so (a bit surprised at how doggedly some of you hold to your opinions, lol), but at least a good discussion was had out of it, and I think (if we read it all & take it all into account) that it'll help make things better/more fun.

i reckon just start it now with forest vs death, full race, and unlimited imports since thats what the majority wants anyways. i will not be participating anyway (nothing pertaining to this contest or kyrbi0 is the reason behind this so dw)
Thanks for clarifying that; I would've felt really confused & guilty otherwise. :<

GhostThruster said:
also for 'biomes' i thought the theme meant make a race that encapsulates that biome, not make a race that happens to live in that biome. if it was the former, then i reckon u cud just let any biome be chosen, and the goal is to make a race that represents the chosen biome (ie. a desert race, a forest race, a tundra race NOT centaurs living the desert, night elves hugging trees, or tuskarrs building igloos).
I am utterly perplexed as to the sheer number of people who did not understand what I meant.

I'd understand if I wasn't a native English speaker & so had a hard time explaining things... Or if I wasn't kind enough to provide not only a 'definition' link but a 'better explanation' link... But really?

Biome was always meant to be done as a Contest-wide, "make a fitting race"-type deal. i.e. we pick "Forest", and Techtree Contest #8 is "Forest Techtree", and every contestant creates an entry (a techtree) of a Race that would live in the Forest; a faction that would inhabit that particular Biome. That gives Elves, Trolls, Goblins, Furbolgs, Dragons, Woodland Creatures, Fey Creatures, Bandits (lol Robin Hood)... and probably loads others.

Otherwise how could we all make a race, if we all had to make "race of Forest-representatives" techtree?

(I guess that's why so many of you were against it, saying it was 'too restrictive').

Hm.

Level 21
Warcraft gameplay "yes" = this is gameplay related contest; warcraft lore "no" = this is not story contest. I don't know how is it hard for you to understand that not everyone likes warcraft options no mater how numerical they seem to be (and yet majority are shallow that people can just slap warcraft correct name and do what the hell they want). Lore is important, but we are here to judge the gameplay of races.

Was just saying barrens isn't stereotypical sand desert. And to be honest desert doesn't even have to be hot there are arctic deserts as well if we take the full definition.

Think you should have noticed by now people aren't here to debate philosophy. We are doing this for fun and vast majority don't bother to post and just wait for notification to say "Hey contests started" (was here even notification about contest preparations like OTHER contests have...). The only complaint majority cared was the polls because they are so broken it is hard to ignore. Regarding if we are using warcraft lore or the strict definitions for race making everyone has been silent for the past decade. Only few people bother to post and I myself am posting because I foolishly wanted to speed up the start of contest. I honestly should give up at this point and return in 2015 the next time I get free time so I am soooo glad I wasted two months.

Being native english speaker doesn't mean automatically that there won't be misunderstanding (especially when you write big posts). Short and basic writing is more productive. As for biome misunderstanding itself it is because honestly "biome = random race that lives there" is stupid since then theme only determines which race you can pick and do what ever you want. There is nothing in that definition that makes any race to actually represent biome like goblins for forest who are more like anti-forest and anti-nature itself (wc version) or trolls and bandits who simple are in the forest and that's as far as forest theme goes for them.[rainbow] This theme is an empty paper in color[/rainbow].

Literal Biome theme and by that I mean race actually representing biome itself is whole different story. You would have to put more thought in to the contest theme as theme would have importance to the race you are making. This would be more in the spirit of terraria that you said inspired you to mention the theme. The biome incarnations and the struggle between different natures of the world. But in all honestly people will most likely like better the free for all biome than this one.

Level 25
Just do what Zephyr contest did and start it with a bit longer deadline, i am honestly not gonna bother waiting months for a contest to start.

By the time this discussion and all took place we could have already hosted it, finished it and started talking about a next one.

well i sent a pm to kyrbi0 asking if i cud post my ideal version of the contest, but i've thought of a better idea. i'll just post it here! please take it as a suggestion not as a hijacking.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=jwjk72
there is noparse enabled, so if u decide to use it as a template/copy text then it's easily done. to view it, copy it into a reply box or something

i dont want to undermine kyrbi0's efforts, and certainly have tried to stick with what has been decided so far. i simply want to help speed up the contest's start (still not joining tho). the changes i made:
- streamlined, got rid of a whole lot of waffle
- removed 'defense' and 'shop' as structure necessities to provide a little more freedom in design. e.g. allowing something like in Power of corruption where a unit summons shops. or even a tower-shop!
- my own criteria. it is essentially the same as kyrbi0's, except with less confusing names/definitions and less overlap. adherence to the contest theme should be considered in every category but balance. nonetheless, if everyone prefers kyrbi0s then that is up to you to change.

Level 25
You shouldn't say what is and what isn't possible inside a biome.

If you can create a creative race that others find plausible to live in a forest/desert you did well.

Also i agree with the template and the rules, especially with the rules statements of:

At least 3 heroes.
Approximately 12 units.
Minimum structures list: Town Hall, Food Supply, Hero Altar.

I think putting hard constraints would limit creativity. For example my last contest submission was a demon race which had more than a normal amount of units because during it's research tree you could choose one of the 3 cults.
Choosing a cult then opened different upgrades/units but disabled the other cult upgrades/units for the end of the game.

With a strict rule of 12 units that kind of thing would not be possible.

Level 21
With a strict rule of 12 units that kind of thing would not be possible.

I believe that's the idea. So the races would fit the warcraft 3 general gameplay. Same constraints that the 4 main races suffer and the ones that ghost wrote are really the most minimal possible. Any less and it would be no guidelines and entries wouldn't be required to even fit warcraft 3. Bigger problem is that people didn't clear this stuff up when the first contest started.

In your case I would argue you never had more then 12 unit available and that balanced it out. Still had the unfair advantage over everyone else for having 3ish races in 1.

Level 25
Well there were no such limits in that contest, someone could have made 20 units if he wanted to.
More units just makes it harder to balance since your force is more likely to be composed of different units.

I was under the impression that when you create a new race you want to make a new kind of gameplay, not just emulate WC3 races.

Level 21
As far as I know there were never any real limits and even if there were I don't think anyone ever got removed from contest. Honestly what Kyrib0 is trying to do now should have been done when they were making the very first contest, I just don't have willpower to talk now about clear rules.

For me it is more logical since we are on wc3 gaming site, making teach-tree specifically for warcraft 3 gameplay that in the end race should fit the warcraft 3 gameplay. It isn't that limiting unless you want to make something completely alien. Now if the contest name was Gameplay then it would be logical to do what ever you want.

But that is me and I don't really see the current conditions limiting that much as you can use morphs and summons to bypass the unit count if it is that big deal. Besides the approximate unit number there really is no other big demand.

Level 25
As far as i understand techtree contests:

- You balance your race to wc3 gameplay (that is existing races)
- You make the gameplay creative (whether it is smart adaption of wc3 components or creating something out of the box)
- You try to make the race feel warcraftish (graphics and sounds)

I for one do not like the uniformity suggested, if you can balance your race versus other races it's a good submission imo.

But I am probably alone in thinking this way in this discussion.

Level 14
As far as i understand techtree contests:

- You balance your race to wc3 gameplay (that is existing races)
- You make the gameplay creative (whether it is smart adaption of wc3 components or creating something out of the box)
- You try to make the race feel warcraftish (graphics and sounds)

I for one do not like the uniformity suggested, if you can balance your race versus other races it's a good submission imo.

But I am probably alone in thinking this way in this discussion.

You are not alone, i think the same way. Techtree contests on hive was about the things mentioned above, and I don't see why it should be changed.

If you want to balance with melee races, you will have to do those requirements anyway, OR you could find out a creative way to do it. So why make it a requirement.

I understand that some of you have a different viewpoint on how a TechTree contest should look like, but they have been without restrictions from the beginning. These arent needed changes, and fixes to the rules. These are rules to a different kind of contest.

You can all decide if you want to stick with the old, or you want to do the new one. Personally i think the old is better, it gives more freedom to the creators out there. And freedom might give more inspiration to some contestants.

Level 21
But literally the only requirement is having around 12 units, not min, not max just aroundish while merging, morphs and summons (and alternative upgrades) still can used to bypass the numbers so hey say hello to 50 units. 3 heroes is reasonable minimum there is no maximum and buildings functions are bare basics any more bare is requirement for buildings to exist. It is something all would do without need to be told. None of these things will suffocate you or demand sacrifice you can still do what ever you want.

Want 3 races in 1 like kingz did last time? Nothing stopping you there, while it seems it has more then the 12 unit limit you couldn't access all units at same time anyway (I would argue that having 3 races in 1 is unfair). No requirement to stop you to have spellcaster at tier 1 and hell make it be worker too and make it have ranged lumber harvest while you at it and drop it at himself. Or maybe you don't want wood to be used at all, you can stick with gold or add purely 3rd resource, no rules stopping you there. You can make all units fly/be ranged/ be casters/be workers, you can make items that would be added to units to customize them, you can make unit have evolution trees, have 100% moblie base, you can make buildings harvest the resources for you, you can have unlimited upgrades to have total customization over unit from scratch (chose if that melee could be ranged, chose attack type). Hey you can make unit sell items, no requirement to have item shop. You can make entire teachtree based on building upgrades (like you can just make main building and base buildings that can be upgraded to a roll you want). Can make every building be tower or have no tower at all. How about building that is tower, town hall, unit production and altar at same time, you just need to have those roles covered. Oh and for extra credit make buildings build buildings skip the builder. Hey how about flying hero, hero with 6 abilities, or maybe units to be able to become heroes (get that peasant an avatar he always wanted). I can go on whole day without ever breaking any requirement, don't dare to pretend that these minimal jokes of "requirements" prevent creativity. Your only problem is that they exist and you are too spoiled to handle them. Why don't you pretend that overcoming the obstacles is a challenge and not a sacrifice to dark gods. Isn't it one of the fun aspects to overcome obstacles and reach the prize and not everything be handed down on a golden plate. Or consider requirements as a way to make the contest theme less shallow and avoid to be free theme. By the way how about the good ol' contest number 3, it had requirements (worse then the joke we have now) and nobody died making.

TL;DR: These requirements don't suffocate creativity nor was it first time contest had some requirements in order to be a challenge for contestants.

For further "constraints vs requirements" I direct you to Kyrib0 posts. God knows guy tried his best to show you that constraints inspire creativity.

In the end I don't care I voted for full race/full imports/biome (Desert vs Life) and I personally already got what I wanted. The goal of this poll (after it ended month ago...) was just to decide which biome and that is done.

And Ghost I did support you, I was against the arbitrary 12 unit limit. The only limit I supported was 3 heroes min.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
... Nobody backed me up when I was arguing with kyrbi0 so I assumed the majority was for 'full-race' restrictions :/
Y'know, I thought the very same thing (no one was backing me up, barely, so I assumed I was alone & the majority was against me). Isn't it funny how things on a forum can be so different from a RL conversation? In some ways better (being able to get a complete thought out, no matter how long), but in other ways, worse. :<

All the others
I'm still working on my responses, but I think I would like to boil it down to one thing:

The biggest thing I'm trying to change about these Contests is What we are comparing, what the different entries are. And the best way I can illustrate that is, as I did in the aforementioned Megapost (though much more shrouded with words) is by comparing it to the Hero Contests.

Basically, let's not compare apples to oranges. I don't want the Techtree-equivalent of what happened in the last Hero Contest; complex AoS heroes up against demure Melee heroes up against flashy Hero Arena heroes. Those are so different as to make a good & fun challenge impossible. Instead, I suggest/am suggesting/am proposing One Type of contest (specifically a "Melee hero"-type Contest)... But that doesn't mean we can't have others. In fact, I encourage it; I think it'd be a great challenge, a great constraint on the "design space"

(and believe me, there's a whole universe of creativity in that alone; look at Dota!)

~

Same thing here with Techtree Contests. I don't want "apples to oranges"; I don't want "Warcraft/Melee-style Techtrees" up against "Age of Empires/Massive/Hard Counter-style Techtrees" up against "Starcraft/Extreme Differentiation-style Techtrees", for I feel this would be an unfair comparison when it comes to judging & voting.

But that's not saying we can't have those kinds of contests.

Do it. Write the write-up, as I & GhostThruster have. Write the write-up, make the Submission Thread, lay out the support, fight the good fight.

But let's make things a little more sensical, a little more fair, a little more fun, by dividing up this design space. No creativity will be sacrificed, I assure you.

So make the Submission, and we'll have those kinds of contests; one where we make things with Warcraft gameplay, but random crazy races. Or Warcraft races, but Age of Empires/Red Alert/Starcraft/Whatever-style gameplay. Or heck, something totally different in both Theme & Role! Skies the limit.

~~

Now, I'll be honest; while I encourage you guys to start these kinds of contests, I do prefer a particular kind; we all have our preferences. I love & desire to have Techtree Contests where we all compete to make the best "Warcraft/Melee-style" Techtrees; everything from Theme (Aesthetics/Presentation/etc) to Role (Mechanics/Playstyle/etc). But I wouldn't venture to remove you guy'ss (lol, spelling) right to petition for other kinds.

But let's not have a "Hero Contest #7" up in here. Or heck, a "Techtree #"... (Ok guys, seriously, what happened to that one? I can't find it in the archives, but there was a recent Techtree Contest with "5 seals" or something... I really got onto Pharaoh & the others about that one. Story for another day, I guess), though that's a different story as to why that one was weird.

So yeah.

~~~

SHORT POST = 1000'S OF CHARACTERS. xD

Level 14
So lets have another Race Building contest then. If thats what you imagined in your mind, host it. I'm just saying, that ol' techtree contest should not have those rules.

My creativity would be limited with those rules, however i wont join either way. I got this idea about a Super Unit & Nomad race, which uses 'achievements' as techtree requirements. I wont be able to do it if i need to have 3 heroes.

the primary issue, kyrbi0, is that you're targeting a non-issue.

instead of looking at past hero contests, look at past techtree contests. yes, many factions which considered gameplay (or 'role' as you call it) over balance still won, but that was because of an actual issue, that being that in previous judging criteria 'gameplay' was awarded a total of 15 max points whereas other categories were weighted 10 or 5. just checked techtree contest #5, and wraithling even went against the fucking criteria and decided to mark gameplay /20. if users adopt either of our judging models (which assigns 10 points per category) this will be rectified.

the problem with your 'apples to oranges' analogy is that apples and oranges lack any sort of objective 'control' variable to be measured that isn't inherently biased to one fruit or another. for example, if the criteria of comparison was "how much cyanide is in each fruit's respective seeds" this is only relevant to apples. with techtrees, a correct analogy would be comparing apples... to apples. there is nothing wrong with comparing apples with apples, because objective & relevant parameters can be set for comparison. if balance/'melee design consideration' becomes an equal priority, then it will serve as such an objective parameter (for techtrees, not apples).

i checked out the hero contest too. there were major problems with it that aren't really applicable in the 'full-race requirement vs loose constraints' debate here.
firstly, the judging criteria didn't specify whether 'balance' meant in regards to a melee game, AoS, TD, hero arena, or mario kart.
secondly, a hero is impossible to 'balance' in a vacuum, which the hero contest has you do due to its very nature as being a hero contest. unless it gave you some context or background, like 'design a hero that would replace the blademaster for the orc race', how on earth can you possibly come up with a 'balanced' hero? heroes need contexts; some are purposefully designed to be more powerful to compensate for a race's weakness. e.g. the blademaster is 'overpowered' in a solo hero-vs-hero situation, but it is necessary to balance the orcish race unless you like buff up the far seer a lot or some shit. techtrees do not have any of these problems, because they have a basis established to compare their balance to (the standard 4 races).
thirdly, due to the first and second points aforementioned, the judging in balance was atrocious. we have anachron giving you literally 2 sentences of feedback and a near perfect score. on the other hand, we have maker rewarding you 6/10 and justifying it with comments completely incongruent with anything anachron raised.
one problem you've alerted is the potential for voters to vote for the fancy-pancy innovative races without regard to balance. some ways to deal with that are to either disempower public votes or preface the poll with 'vote for the race which best conforms to all areas of the judging criteria, not just how fun it is and how pretty it looks'.

i suggest you check out the results of the previously mentioned techtree contest 5. http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/contest-archive-227/techtree-contest-5-results-211967/
i was a judge and so was wraithling. aside from shiik we generally had congruent views on balance, though he was far more generous than i. if u half the 'gameplay' points wraithling awarded, the gap between wazzz' and 67chrome's total marks would have been around 3 points, which i guess was deserved because his race looked better and played better.

tl;dreven without faction requirements, we are still comparing apples to apples. balance is the key to unifying standardised and melee-compliant entries with mechanically divergent extravaganzas; the 'unfair advantage' of risking to employ wacky mechanics is neutralised by the disadvantage of trying to balance those mechanics. problems that arise stem from judging/judging criteria, not a lack of constraints.

in any case, i'm paraphrasing veljkom but we shudn't be talking about the philosophical and conceptual intent of techtree contests. i think i've made a template that should appease both sides of the 'full race' vs. 'there shouldn't even be a category to determine whether a race is full or partial - race is a race' debate. when everyone is in accordance, contact pharaoh or something and get the party started. kyrbi0, i don't believe i have the energy to respond like this again. certainly, i cannot reply to your megapost with the amount of free time i have.

edit after seeing kari's post: and here's a problem with constraints; it discourages people from joining and fundementally changes techtree contests as we know it on the hive. ironically, the actual 'super unit' contest would accomodate kari, but had the same gameplay/role-constraining issue.

Level 25
Just gonna reply about some comments.

While others might like rehashing the old wc3 races in a new look with new abilities it doesn't suit my liking. Adding a creative play style is what tech tree contest should be about imo.

You already have the constrait of theme and research tiers and/or imports.

Bringing up really old contest like #3 isn't that of a merit concerning the date it was done, a lot more people were active on THW back then imo as WC3 was more popular (5 years have past since).
Chances are half of those people aren't even here anymore.

Not to mention the constraints were actually part of the theme itself.

As to anyone thinking my previous contest idea and theme was unfair they are free to test the map.
The branching mini trees actually didn't impact the gameplay so much since it came down to choosing your elite unit and it's upgrade.
You could pick between an elite spell caster, an elite siege unit or elite melee unit and their respected upgrade, the choice didn't brake the game by some insane power level it was meant so that the player can opt for a different playstyle.

It wasn't even the major thing about how the race plays out.

And yes, restrictions lead to creativity, in certain cases. You can't make a house with two sticks, too much limitations and you will have entries which all look and feel the same.

However whatever decision is made, it will only affect whether i join or not, my opinion has been made. I will not go up against the majority or make drama or anything, host it as you see fit, if it aligns with my views of what a techtree contest is i will participate, if not one contestant isn't a lot to lose.

Level 21
I just said I like race to fit the gameplay, that doesn't mean at all you aren't supposed to add creativity (Didn't I write examples already?). Aren't all 4 races unique enough to prove that additional ones don't have to be human/orc swamped template? I just think there is simple need to have three tiers, units and heroes to exist though I don't like fixed number or roles and to use resources like gold/wood. Am I really being that unreasonable to think that race we make here should fit the game we are working on? I am not asking that these should be written anywhere and be rules, just saying about what I think it means to make warcraft 3 teachtree for warcraft 3 game on warcraft 3 teachtree contest.

Having theme is the point of contests (and honestly this theme is only about race you pick, not about gameplay mechanics) and imports are unlimited so how is that constraint? 3 tiers is constraint but at the same time it is basic gameplay feature of warcraft.

And point of showing the #3 contest was to show that there were constraints once and it was not a problem. I said number purely to show that people were capable of surviving constraints. Oh and in this contest the constraints were always in the poll, we just never saw them...

I apologize for thinking your race was unbalanced. I shouldn't have said that.

Remove the limits, clearly it will just make riots (I still don't think they are really that suffocating). Everyone is allowed to make what they want. I just want to start at this point with theme we have chosen.

Level 16
Yeah we have waited quite long for now, maybe it owuld be good to choose a neutral judge, like a mod ( for tht limit thing) and after that matter is settled lets start.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
(still working on posts...)

"Master's Degree"? Phaw. I'm thinking more like Doctorate. xD

Winter break?

//EDIT// Also, does anyone have a clue where that old "Seal of Magus" (I think that was the name) Techtree Contest got to?? Veljkom located the 'missing' TC#3, but this one is really bugging me. :<

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Ah, many thanks.

Maaaan what a trip. Anyone else think one was crazy-confusing?

~~~

On topic, I know this is a little thing, but I propose we change the Name of the Contest... to "Lush vs. Arid". Heard those again recently & realized how perfect they fit together (both 4 letter words, but very descriptive rather than "Forest/Jungle to Desert").

i was starting to get the impression that i made a malleable thread template, that at least two users were in consensus with the contents of said template, and that said users have turned to passive-aggressive impatience instead of taking some fucking initiative to message pharaoh and start the contest themselves. you are waiting for you (by 'you' i mean all of you, not an individual).

pastebin dump:
[CENTER][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/160036-albums4747-picture59500.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/gfx/arenabanners/techtree.png[/IMG][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/gfx/arenabanners/contest.png[/IMG][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/gfx/arenabanners/number.png[/IMG][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/gfx/arenabanners/9.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Krbd986.png[/IMG]

[SIZE="1"][URL="http://purplekecleon.deviantart.com/art/Transition-210472393"]purplekecleon @deviantart.com[/URL][/SIZE]

[B][COLOR=#d0f680][SIZE=5][COLOR="YellowGreen"]Forest[/COLOR] vs. [COLOR="Wheat"]Desert[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[B][COLOR=#d0f680]Contestants are to create and design a faction of their choosing that pertains to either a [COLOR="YellowGreen"]Forest[/COLOR] or [COLOR="Wheat"]Desert[/COLOR] biome. This means that race(s) must represent or thematically adhere to either of the biomes; for example, Furbolgs with forest or Arachnathids with desert. Your faction does not have to conform to official WarCraft lore, but must still comply with the contest's theme. A wood elf faction is fine, for instance, but a lizardmen faction fits neither of the biomes.
Any individual is allowed to enter the contest and assert their geographical dominance. The world is up for your taking (also rep).[/COLOR][/B][/CENTER]

[IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/gfx/arenabanners/contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png[/IMG] [LIST][*]No submission may violate any of the [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/faq/"]site[/URL] or [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/apps.php?p=pages&f=maps_rules"]map submission[/URL] rules. Contestants who do not follow the rules will face disqualification.[*]One entry per person; teamwork is prohibited.[*]You must show at least one WIP (work-in-progress) before the deadline, as proof that you have genuinely worked on your faction.[*]Map terrain and default unit object data cannot be edited; copy and paste default units you wish to edit. The features that may be edited are:[LIST][*]Gameplay constants[*]Game interface[*]Object editor[*]Trigger editor[*]Sound editor[/LIST][*]All final submissions must:[LIST][*]Be started after the official launch of the contest and submitted before the final deadline.[*]Use (4)TurtleRock.w3x as the base map, and be submitted in .w3m or .w3x file formats.[*]Be attached to a post containing screenshot(s) of the race in action. The submitted map must be under 4MB.[*]Have the following filename format: THW.TC9.<MyUserName>.<MyFactionName>.w3x[*]Have the following in-game map name format: THW.TC9.<MyUserName>.<MyFactionName>[/LIST][*]Your submitted race must comply with the following faction requirements:[LIST][*]3 tech tiers.[*]At least 3 heroes.[*]Approximately 12 units.[*]Minimum structures list: Town Hall, Food Supply, Hero Altar, Troop Production, Research/Mill[/LIST][/LIST][img]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/gfx/arenabanners/prizes.png[/img][LIST][*][B][COLOR=yellow]First Place: 50 reputation points and your entry on the award icon[/COLOR][/B][*][B][COLOR=silver]Second Place: 35 reputation points and an award icon[/COLOR][/B][*][B][COLOR=sienna]Third Place: 20 reputation points and an award icon[/COLOR][/B][/LIST][LEFT][B][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/gfx/arenabanners/judges.png[/IMG][/B][/LEFT][LIST][*]None yet! If you are interested in judging, please contact me.[/LIST][B][COLOR=#a0522d][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/gfx/arenabanners/contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png[/IMG][/COLOR][/B]
[table]Gameplay[c]How fun is the race? How intuitive and accessible are its mechanics, and do they comply with its theme?[c]10[r]Balance[c]How easily can the race stand against the default races? Is it particularly easy to wipe out or too hard to confront?[c]10[r]Concept[c]How strong is the race on a conceptual level? This includes originality and adherence to the contest theme.[c]10[r]Presentation[c]How well is information conveyed? Are assets consistent in quality and fitting to the object they represent?[c]10[r][c][RIGHT][B]Total points:[/B][/RIGHT][c][B]40[/B][/table]

[LIST][*][B]70 %[/B] of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).[*][B]30 %[/B] of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.[/LIST]

[LEFT][B][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/gfx/arenabanners/contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png[/IMG][/B][/LEFT][LIST][*][B]The contest shall begin on 32.13.2013 and conclude on [B][COLOR=red]33.14.2012, 23:59[/COLOR], [URL="http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/"]GMT[/URL][/B][/B][/LIST]

Last edited:
Level 21
But the problem is that we didn't agree all regarding the template. I said it was perfect as it had quite basic and not really limiting requirements while on other side Kingz and kari003 don't like the idea of the requirements suggested. In frustration I did agree then to remove rules since they said they will not join at all if there are requirements. I can't find Kyrib0s opinion of the template you made but I am sure he wishes for clear rules and requirements so the contest would be more organized and clear.

It isn't simple as call Pharaoh and start unless you mean JokeMasters idea of him making the final decision as neutral party. Or start two separate contest one with wc3 rules and other free for all and each compete in the one they want. I won't deny I am acting like impatient child though and that I am avoid taking the initiative. I personally would though wait for Kyrib0 to finish his next big post as he is making. Honestly I wish we could find a compromise that would be acceptable to all parties involved.

Level 25
The contest doesn't revolve around a handfull of users.
There might be other users who would participate once they actually.. you know... see it STARTED.

As for a few individuals who might not join because of a limitations (including me maybe) it's not really relevant.
If my opinions on the matter are in any way holding the contest from starting, just disregard them and start it.

I feel like this contest is just being used to discuss stuff, nothing is really happening.
Kinda feels like watching politicians at work.

Yeah, the whole idea of this contest went downhill the further it's gone. I was hoping this contest would be people would pick a biome (whichever one they wanted) and then make a race fitting it. The race could be Warcraft inspired but you couldn't just use any race that lives in a biome the race would have to be fitting to the Biome.

If this was to go ahead my idea was to use Daenar's runic series and create a snowy biome race with their abilities and units themed around survival skills (hunting, fire etc) and that's how it would fit.

So, you couldn't pick forest and then do a Troll race with whatever you wanted because that wouldn't reflect the Biome, but, you could create a troll race (or use the models) with an emphasis on nature magic, trees and all that stuff. This would result in a relevance rating i.e. a rating for how well your race reflects the biome that you chose or it.

I would've been more than happy with this and I don't quite understand why we're going with the one biome/versus biome scenario as I do believe it will result in loads of entries using the same ideas/concepts and negating the whole purpose of having biomes. This contest would've been better if from the start it had been called the Forest/Death techtree contest but instead it's just become a whole load of people arguing about what they want out of a techtree contest and we've gotten nowhere.

The solution - Whoever is organizing this, Kyrbi0 or Pharoah_ (I don't know), actually starts a competition and delete this waste of a thread.

Also, the creator could chose any Blizzard map for their race but it would have to be of their Biome.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Read the first part at least

So yeah. Sorry again for whatever part I may have played in holding things up. I don't know who all would actually be joining (seems like more & more of you are saying "this is the way things should go, but I won't be joining"), but if enough people still wanna do this & squeeze one in before Winter Break, well, good on ya. : )

My wife could tell you that I have a very high tolerance for the arguing of semantics... However, even my abilities are becoming taxed in this regard, for this discussion. I may finish typing up full responses to each of you that talked to me & others... Maybe have to use PMs or VMs or whatever. But for now, I'm just about hitting my peak of having to explain things again & again, or try to understand a varying perspective.

I think, believe it or not, that this whole thing has been a net-success; at the very least people are thinking about this issue. If we were to start next week (eesh, right when college starts back up for me...), that would be alright. I may not have accomplished all I set out to do, but again; we're thinking about this, and the conversation will be all the more informed once we have one of these "new Contests" under our collective belts.

However, we must finalize this criteria. If you have any time, please go over me & GhostThruster's proposed "Contest Header Thread" submissions (His and Mine), and talk about it. That's the only & most important thing left to discuss, because once that's set, this can "go live".

Again, it's been a pleasure. I look forward to really making these things come to life!

===
===INDIVIDUALIZED RESPONSES, IN BRIEF
===(LOL NOT REALLY)

GHOSTTHRUSTER
- when I say "Theme", I'm talking about a lot more than simply the 'theme' of the given Contest and whether the submissions match it. Does that make sense?

- yeah, making sure judges do their thing the right way is important.

- not sure what you mean, but that's exactly my point; "can't compare apples to oranges" means what you said (which fruit is more citrusy? which fruit has cyanide in it's seeds? etc). In this case, an example of "apples to oranges" comparison would be "mini-races to full races" or even worse, "wc3 races to non-wc3 races". A mini-race stacks up poorly against a full race (both in the amount of work that is assumed to go into it (less, = lazy (no not really, I'm just making an example of what people think))) as well as balance & other stuff... And worse, wc3 races to non-wc3 races. Sure, it may not matter in terms of diverse "Themes" (my Trolls stack up OK against your Nether Elephants :p), but in terms of diverse "Roles" or "Gameplay Mechanics"... Well our "melee-style races" will appear pretty boring next to some of the "crazy/creative race mechanics" people can put in their race. Even if both are "perfect" for their setting (I make a 'perfect' wc3-style race, you make a 'perfect'... any-other-style race), they don't compare well, being so different. Apples to Oranges.

Hope that made more sense. Don't mean to mince words, throwing 'style' around.

- EXACTLY! Nothing can be "Balanced" in a vacuum. Nothing can be "Creative/Innovative/Interesting" in a vacuum, either, I'd contend. So those 2 Criteria, while important, are not intrinsic; they aren't purely-indicative of Design (which, I'd argue, is what this Contest's all about).

What is intrinsic, built-in, and "able to be determined in a vacuum" is the Theme & the Role (or Presentation/Concept and Gameplay/Style, for your voting method). How is it like, and How does it work? What does it look like, and What does it do? Where is it from, and Where does it go?

So instead of having a Hero Contest where it's not clear what the Heroes are made for (AoS, TD, hero arena, mario kart (lololol)), I think each & every Hero Contest should make it clear. (NOTE: I don't care if it changes from Contest to Contest, or if we have "Hero Contest: AoS" and "Hero Contest: Melee". Sure, why not! But make it clear, and make it so defined.)

Similarly, instead of having a Techtree Contest where it's not clear what the Races are made for (Wc3, AoM, Sc... 5th-race addition, replacement/total conversion, entirely-new-game, etc), I think each & every Techtree Contest should make it clear. (NOTE: I don't care if it changes from Contest to Contest, or if we have "Techtree Contest: 5th Race Addition" and "Techtree Contest: Total Conversion". Sure, why not! But make it clear up front, and make it defined.)

- We can tell people all we want to "vote responsibly" and "vote on criteria, not how fun/pretty it is", but that's about as effective as telling people not to text & drive or think about sex (I believe). We can encourage all we want, but 1) depowering the public poll, and 2) removing the votes of those who don't conform (subject to moderators & such) is pretty much all we can do, to start with.

- I guess it's hard to say, since it's such a spectrum & we sometimes seem to be thinking of different things. For examples, if I make a Melee-style race, even 'perfectly', it'll lose out to someone who does a more interesting racial mechanic or play-style (one that Wc3 might not be able to support), because "It's more Creative!!". I think that.

But let's say we're both making races... If both have units trained by buildings; warriors that attack & gatherers who harvest; the race uses Wood & Gold, and is limited by Food; and if the race grows in power & utility over the game (i.e. Tiers)... Well a lot can still be done in those parameters, and it could be argued (not by me) that those are "apples to apples".

But what about a race that uses Food as a resource? Or has no buildings? Or whose units are invincible but deal no damage & can only block for the Hero? Or one who gains Gold/Wood over time & can't spend it? Has no 'increase in power'? Has no harvesters? No warriors? Only harvesters? Only warriors? 1 hero, 3 heroes, 10 heroes???

Those, to me, would be wildly divergent, and definitely "apples to oranges". Perhaps even "apples to tacos". xD Maybe they can be balanced in some other game... Maybe even against the original 4. But in terms of "balanced against the other contestants" (and here I'm talking about equity & justice, not "gameplay balance"), I feel that that kind of race fails.

- I think we should absolutely get into the "philosophical and conceptual intent of techtree contests". However, maybe not here, and maybe not now. Perhaps it'd be better to rename this all over to a "Techtree Contest Discussion Thread" and keep discussion to the Contest-at-hand (or just make a new thread, more likely).
But if we don't talk about it somewhere, it'll never get better. And I think it does need to be better (you, I & Veljkom all seem to agree on that).

- YOUR PROPOSED TECHTREE CONTEST THREAD:
-Overall I liked it. I don't agree with the description of "twaddle"; I can be verbose, but almost everything in there is there for a reason. Would like to hammer that out with you, but perhaps not now.
-See the note to Footman16 at the bottom of my post; should we pick some map other than a "forest-y" or "desert-y" one? Like snow-land, or Village Fall, or something? Otherwise one race will have a sort of visual "advantage" (as well as the "home turf advantage". xD)
-30% to the Poll?? Too much. Please try 25%
- Would it be better if I provided a nice & neat table for my Criteria?
Theme:How well the various elements of the Faction (including aesthetics & design) fit together in a thematic manner such that they feel like they are representative of the given Faction, as well as that of the chosen Contest Theme. Well-fitting & polished aesthetics which complement a cohesive Theme will be graded well; poorly-considered or lacking Thematic elements will result in a poor score.10

Role:
How well the various elements of the Faction work together to achieve the tactical synergy & gameplay style the Faction has, as well as how well each element performs it's particular function. Comprehensive, well-though-out Roles which complement a cohesive Faction will be graded well; ill-considered, insufficient or over-compensating Roles will lose points.10

Balance:
Indicates how comparable the Faction is in terms of 'playability'; i.e. the ideal Faction should win/lose 50% of the time against others of it's class. Overpowered or Underpowered units/heroes/abilities/etc will result in a poor score; properly balanced elements will mean a good score.10

Creativity:
How original the design of the Faction is in terms of innovative ideas, clever implementations, or creative concepts. Innovation and creativity will be rewarded; re-use of existing elements & poor originality will result in a poor score.10

Awesomeness:
The most subjective of all grading criteria. This attempts to quantify exactly how awesome a Faction's overall design feels. This is the "subjective elbow room" for people to talk about how "cool" or "nifty" or "rad" the Faction is.5

Total points:
It may look like "filler", but I really feel it's important to have clear expectations at least hinted at in each Criteria-box. i.e. "This is what "Balance" means for this Contest. ___ is an example of Good Balance; __ is an example of Bad Balance".

It may seem obvious, but again... No unwritten assumptions.

KINGZ

- I have no problem with your "branching techtrees" idea; it's actually rather creative and wouldn't (I think) go outside the "12-unit limit", because as long as only 12 units are available at a time, it's alright.

It basically means, though, that you'd be making 2/3/4/etc complete races (multiple-sets for all the branches), and that kind of work is a bit "above and beyond the call of duty".

- "Adding a creative play style is what tech tree contest should be about imo." Alright, it's good to gather some more opinions on this matter. I disagree. Perhaps that's part of the issue (and something I've tried to address in my Megapost & other posts); I've learned we can't take anything for granted. That's why I've so painstakingly explained what I mean by "Theme" and "Role", and what I think Contests should/are be about.
Check it out. : )

VELJKOM

- "Oh and in this contest the constraints were always in the poll, we just never saw them..."
Thank you. :<

- *sigh* When I said "Lush vs. Arid", I wasn't trying to change the Contest's Theme or scope thereof at all. I was literally just suggesting (what I felt was) a better name for it. Still doing Forest vs. Desert, I hope; just calling it something "cooler".

Not a massive deal. Just a suggestion 'cuz I like words & stuff. : )

FOOTMAN16

- You're interpretation of the "Biome" idea is interesting, but not what it was when it was created & decided upon as an Option in the Poll. Did you read that description I wrote & still come up with that interpretation?

That's kinda my point with GhostThruster & the others... Take 1 word and 5 people will have 5 different interpretations of it. That's cool & interesting... Except when you pit those 5 against each other & compare them, grade them. We need to be on the same page.

I would argue that "picking a race that lives in a given Biome" would still result in a race "fitting to that Biome". Any 'forest/desert-dwelling race' is going to have 'forest/desert' powers, units, buildings, themes, etc. Furbolgs with druidic nature magic, Centaur's with gruesome desert-y & heat magic... (Wood) Elves with fancy tree magic, Sand Trolls with sand magic... I'm not seeing the issue. Sure, my "Forest Trolls" might not have a lot of "forest magic"... But I guess that wasn't the point of the Contest, to me. I wanted people to make "warcraft 3/lore" races, but instead of picking from ALL OF THEM EVER ANYWHERE, limit it to a certain climate or whatever. Hence "biome".

- "delete this waste of a thread."
I disagree heartily with that sentiment, good sir. Not only have I sunk hours of my life into posting here, but I feel this kind of discussion is integral, nay crucial to our understanding of these Contests & our own self-betterment.

Like I said above (hopefully it was read), perhaps renaming this "Discussion Thread" and moving the true "next Contest" discussion elsewhere would be prudent, though.

- Actually, you make a totally legitimate point; this "Biome" thing won't work if people making Desert races are stuck in the "Lost Temple" map (green-green-water-green), and vice versa... Criminy.

Lol, maybe we should all just pick a Snow Level so it's neutral territory. xD

Level 21
In short, I prefer GhostThursters version. Mostly because of judging criteria, they are simple, clear and cower everything (at least I believe so) and his requirements are less strict (min 3 heroes vs 4 only, approximation of 12 units vs strict 12 units).

Oh and vote for the philosophical thread be moved and be aimed for winter contest (or when ever next one is) and not this one. I am sure everyone can agree to this.

Level 25
Whatever man, this will start next year by this pace.

I am quitting this one.
Next time i want to participate a tech tree contest i will organize it myself, and not wait months for one to start.
And you can damn be sure it would start a week after the poll ended.

It is clear this is just being used to discuss things and not actually make a contest. Do you really think people who voted over a month ago will still want to participate at this point? Do you?

This contest is as dead as it gets (dying before even starting).
As i said before we could have actually already hosted one contest, ended it and start hosting another one by this point.

Not to mention these things we are discussing should have been in the damn poll to begin with, or should have been part of a separate discussion and agreed upon before even starting the contest.
I am not blaming anyone but it is obvious that this contest turned from a contest to a discussion on personal subjective opinions.

Tl; dr; This discussion is going nowhere, aka in circles.

Level 21
This part of Kyrib0s quote:
However, we must finalize this criteria. If you have any time, please go over me & GhostThruster's proposed "Contest Header Thread" submissions (His and Mine), and talk about it. That's the only & most important thing left to discuss, because once that's set, this can "go live".
Guys just pick one and then lets by the end of the day inform moderator so we can start. We have template just say "lets use it" and the end. No more talks, no more debates just pick. I say lets use ghostthursters template and be done and that's all (you know like we should have done days ago as ghost kindly pointed out). Best case scenario we start tomorrow or day after it. If nobody wants to chose template I'll myself PM Pharaoh today. As far as I care today we are done.

I doubt this ever happened before with tech contest though they are rare compared to other contests. And to avoid this happening again the "philosophy" will be move to an independent thread.

FOOTMAN16

- You're interpretation of the "Biome" idea is interesting, but not what it was when it was created & decided upon as an Option in the Poll. Did you read that description I wrote & still come up with that interpretation?

That's kinda my point with GhostThruster & the others... Take 1 word and 5 people will have 5 different interpretations of it. That's cool & interesting... Except when you pit those 5 against each other & compare them, grade them. We need to be on the same page.

I would argue that "picking a race that lives in a given Biome" would still result in a race "fitting to that Biome". Any 'forest/desert-dwelling race' is going to have 'forest/desert' powers, units, buildings, themes, etc. Furbolgs with druidic nature magic, Centaur's with gruesome desert-y & heat magic... (Wood) Elves with fancy tree magic, Sand Trolls with sand magic... I'm not seeing the issue. Sure, my "Forest Trolls" might not have a lot of "forest magic"... But I guess that wasn't the point of the Contest, to me. I wanted people to make "warcraft 3/lore" races, but instead of picking from ALL OF THEM EVER ANYWHERE, limit it to a certain climate or whatever. Hence "biome".

- "delete this waste of a thread."
I disagree heartily with that sentiment, good sir. Not only have I sunk hours of my life into posting here, but I feel this kind of discussion is integral, nay crucial to our understanding of these Contests & our own self-betterment.

Like I said above (hopefully it was read), perhaps renaming this "Discussion Thread" and moving the true "next Contest" discussion elsewhere would be prudent, though.

- Actually, you make a totally legitimate point; this "Biome" thing won't work if people making Desert races are stuck in the "Lost Temple" map (green-green-water-green), and vice versa... Criminy.

Lol, maybe we should all just pick a Snow Level so it's neutral territory. xD

- I do understand your biome idea don't get me wrong (I didn't before) but I do believe that people will always try and take the easy (preferred) option in anything and so a forest vs death (barren) will see Tree/ancients race(s), Undead races, maybe a centaur race but people will not put too much effort/thought into making their option. With a selective biome idea it allows anyone and everyone to get into it without the fear of repetition.

- About the whole "I wanted a Warcraft 3/lore race" then that should've been exactly what the contest was from the start:
Lordaeron, Azeroth, Northrend, Ashenvale, Kalimdor (or whatever (sub)continent) Race making competition

- I apologize if the sentiment behind the statement became rude but the point was that this thread wasn't exactly sticking within it's purpose and burning time for a contest that was still behind the starting block.

I think I've covered everything. Also, I wouldn't spend hours into posts, it can end up just being frustrating to the writer, one of the reasons I prefer actual conversations: I can actually be bothered to say what I mean and get a point across more easily. So keep things succinct for everyone's benefit, it also stops the whole TL;DR scenario.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
@WIP // @GhostThruster:
I guess I do have a few questions/issues with the/your WIP:
  • I worry about the statement "approximately 12 units". How many is "approximately"? I would prefer some greater definition there; sure 10 is probably close enough, but what about 8? Or 6? Or 14-20? Let's avoid vague constructions.
  • For one who prefers to avoid constrictions, wouldn't it make more sense to have "required structure role" rather than "required structures"? i.e. As long as the race has buildings for Troop Production, Defense, Food-Supply, Resource Gathering, Hero-Training, (Item Shop?), etc; then it shouldn't matter whether they specifically have a building(s) for it. Aren't we 'limiting' the creativity of the user who wants to have 1 building do it all (as a random example)?
  • I think it's a great idea to provide some examples of What Works and What Doesn't Work (for criteria, & for entries themselves)... But I don't get how Lizardmen don't fit in the desert... There are tons of lizards in the desert. :<
  • Already said, but 25% Public Poll? Anyone else think 30% is too much? I don't mind too much if I'm wrong...
  • WIP said:
    Gameplay How fun is the race? How intuitive and accessible are its mechanics, and do they comply with its theme?
    This is pretty alright, but seems to cover a whole lot of ground; a good Criteria focuses on one particular aspect of the entry to 'grade'. Moreover you cover "Theme Compliance" here and in "Concept"...
  • WIP said:
    Balance How easily can the race stand against the default races? Is it particularly easy to wipe out or too hard to confront?
    This is good and makes sense. I have it too. YAY CONSENSUS. :p
  • WIP said:
    Concept How strong is the race on a conceptual level? This includes originality and adherence to the contest theme.
    I get what "originality" means (well, as long as we're talking "in comparison to the original 4"), and "adherence to Contest Theme" makes sense (again, since the context is defined, and you even provide examples of "good" and "bad")...

But what in the world does it mean to have a race that is "strong on a conceptual level"?? What is a "strong concept"? That's a really vague statement and hard to define. I'm reading the second statement as separate from the first (or rather, the score for the whole is one part "strong concept", "original", and "adherence the Contest Theme"; three parts make the whole), so I don't feel that last phrase can be used to define the first.
  • WIP said:
    Presentation How well is information conveyed? Are assets consistent in quality and fitting to the object they represent?
    This was one thing I thought we agreed on; not giving the "Art" aspect nearly any weight in the Poll or the Judging (since we assume people will "vote with their eyes" and do so anyway). And here it's an entire Criteria, with the same point value as the rest! I get having "consistent quality" and "fitting to the object"... But to me, that can all be folded into "Theme" (since Theme includes "aesthetics") without giving it any extra (read: undue) weight.

I know you feel mine are too 'wordy', but I feel like they accurately describe the important elements of race-creation. "Theme" and "Role" are both explicitly stated & defined (with "good" & "bad" examples for each) as intrinsic qualities, then "Balance" and "Originality" are given the same treatment (as extrinsic qualities). Remove "Awexomeness" if you want, I don't care at this point (Well I do, but not enough to slow this down any more). But I'm afraid I don't get all of the ones you provided.

Don't get me wrong; it's leaps & bounds ahead of what we were working with. But perhaps some of the above can be addressed?

Last edited:
Level 8
  • I worry about the statement "approximately 12 units". How many is "approximately"? I would prefer some greater definition there; sure 10 is probably close enough, but what about 8? Or 6? Or 14-20? Let's avoid vague constructions.
  • For one who prefers to avoid constrictions, wouldn't it make more sense to have "required structure role" rather than "required structures"? i.e. As long as the race has buildings for Troop Production, Defense, Food-Supply, Resource Gathering, Hero-Training, (Item Shop?), etc; then it shouldn't matter whether they specifically have a building(s) for it. Aren't we 'limiting' the creativity of the user who wants to have 1 building do it all (as a random example)?

If the rules for structures would have “required one for each role” instead of “required number”, wouldn’t it make sense for the same to be applied to units? (ie, at least 1 worker, detector, melee/close-range unit, ranged unit, siege unit, defensive spellcaster, etc)

Though, I think there should be a required minimum number of structures/units too, otherwise, a “full” race could be made with all roles fulfilled but have only 2 buildings and 3 units while another would have 1 building/unit for each, for example. But wouldn’t that rule also ‘limit’ creativity? Say, a user wants to skip on having spellcasters or artillery in their race, but make up for it by having something to makes up for it/something special?

As for “approximately 12 units”, I suppose the best range would be -2/+2, min 10 and max 14 units, while 12 is recommended.

Level 25
I like how this contest is slowly getting nowhere.
This is what happens when you try to satisfy everyone wishes.
We could have had 2 contests by now, since this one would have probably ended by now rofl.

Seeing as Kyrib0 is hosting the #7 hero contest might as well archive this now.

Level 21
Slowly would imply movement at all. Well I at least did try to start it but seems it wasn't enough that poll ended and biome was decided and could have easily used the standard hive rules for the contest.

Though I doubt it would ended by now even with most optimistic start.

Level 21
Yeah but then the poll process and judging. How often it happened to have techtree contest two times per year. Still the creation part would be over... probably what you meant anyway. Well hopefully next time will be better organized (from the very start there was no organization here) and any philosophical talks will be moved away (that is if those happen ever again, my money is on no).

Status
Not open for further replies.