1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The 15th Mini-Mapping Contest came to an end. The Secrets of Warcraft 3 are soon to be revealed! Come and vote in the public poll for your favorite maps.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The 12th incarnation of the Music Contest is LIVE! The theme is Synthwave. Knight Rider needs a song to listen to on his journey. You should definitely have some fun with this theme!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Join other hivers in a friendly concept-art contest. The contestants have to create a genie coming out of its container. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Techtree Contest #5 - Innovation

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Pharaoh_, Jul 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Narogog

Narogog

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
  2. Ahimtar

Ahimtar

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    i guess im just execrated. :vw_unimpressed:

3. GhostThruster

GhostThruster

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    What the funk.

4. Ahimtar

Ahimtar

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    i mean doomed :ogre_icwydt:

(i got no chance anyway, and now there is even another nerubian race in the game)

5. shiiK

shiiK

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I didn't even do half as much as I had planned to do today, but I did some work, updated the entry post with changes. Spent half my day in animation class, then when I got home I had to bitch around with BLPLab and GIMP to fix the icon I drew for the Fallen Angel skin - Khaos Maiden hero. Then I spent like.. hours, working out the health regeneration system and the Meteor Rain spell, tweaking and balancing those as well as the mana system. Luckily, the remaining unit abilities should be much easier to implement, especially seeing as I can pretty much base them off of one part or another from Meteor Rain. I also figured out how I'm going to do Unit Build time, so that should be easy. I'll try to get the spells done for Abrahadabra as well tomorrow, but I will do that last.

6. 67chrome

67chrome

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Sounds cool, testing the entries to this contest should be a lot of fun.

Anyways, fixed and polished my entry a considerable amount. The gladiator bonuses apply correctly to everything now, and hydra's poison works the way it is described. Fixed a few tooltips here and there as well. My building models are still acting up and showing their build animations when working and screwing up the lighting but w/e.

I think i spent like, 80% of the time on my race on the hero spells alone. They should be fun to use, and their ultimates are very ultimaty.

-editing this post just to add a linky link to my overview. Check it out for more info on my race.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  7. ashbringer753

ashbringer753

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    So lets hope this will be the last extension and that everyone will finish his. Are we going to adopt the voting system that chrome proposed?

8. Narogog

Narogog

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I vote yes.

9. Wraithling

Wraithling

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  10. Kam

Kam

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It is a method used to find the most and least desired paths based on a sample of responses.

So I ask 100 people to rank X,Y,Z in their desired order. You will end up with many different variations but there will be (usually) and most desired order - lets say Y,Z,X. What this tells us is that Y is the overall preferred candidate.

11. Pharaoh_

Pharaoh_

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I will create a special form for the voting process, following the example 67chrome linked, to make it easier for people to simply edit the text here and there and force them to vote on every entry. If it doesn't work out as intended, we will stick to the classic way of voting.

12. Kam

Kam

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Lost

During the reign of the Burning Legion there was a concerted effort to delve into the deepest of black magics. They were close to opening the necessary planar connections when the final battle at the World Tree took place and the Legion crumbled. The Alliance thought that there was nothing more to fear from their hideous foes. They were unaware that deep in the ruins of the Undead research facilities those Planar rifts were being widened from the other side by forces so far Lost in history that their existence was unheard of.

This is the Lost Race.

The premise is that structures and upgrades cost lumber and gold, units (other than reviving heroes) do not. You are restricted not with a food cap but instead with the very link to the other side. Organic combat units will die eventually unless prolonged through combat kills or construction of Cruxes. You will need to plan your production rather than making one unit at a time in order to take advantage of the Essence system. This is a hyper-aggressive race, turtling or otherwise delaying will see your demise.

Obviously it's not perfect, however it's going into a project so further work will be done and feedback from this is much appreciated. For some reason the Shadows sound set is an Acolyte even though it's set to a Shade.

I suggest starting the game and choosing Undead in the lobby so you have the correct UI and the "feel" isn't disrupted.

A note to judges: This race is meant for my project so there are some things you should be aware of. Unit commands are all set to a grid rather than random keys:

Q W E R
    A S D F
    Z X C V

I was also rushed so if balance is off it's because I was thinking more about fighting the other altered races than the vanilla races.

Edit: Also please note that the portal spell is partially functional. There were some advanced code issues to deal with and the author did not have time. It functions one way so it is still a useful ability. Also the birth system kinda sucks but it was the most uniform thing I could come up with.

Edit: Known bugs:

-Abyss and Reliquary dummy build models are heroes
    -I believe the race selection system is screwing up the ingame blight ooze, it's supposed to be red

Credits

ike_ike - Puppeteer Icon
    Rightfield and Co.- Lost Soul model
    The Tales of Raviganion unit and building models/icons
    Tarrasque - Brutal Lord model
    Dionesiist - Sharadar Hell Knight Model
    Rising_Dusk - Graverobber (Soul Leech) spell
    From Deadeye spell Pack: http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=104469
    Luorax - Expire system for Lost race
    Pyrogasm - Singularity (Void)
    http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=102401
    Ampharos_222 - Razor model
    Infernal Knight model
    Fresh Shambler model
    watermelon_1234 - Diabolic Countdown spell
    Tainted Fountain spell
    Dark Dragon - Dark Torture spell
    Shadow Crossing spell
    Terror Blade (Terror) spell
    Black Magic spell
    From DD Universal Spell Pack
    Maker - Mens Imperium (Corruption) spell
    From Lich King Spellpack
    Frankster - Demonic Bulwark / Bastion / Citadel model
    Amigurumi - Evil Beholder model
    M0rbid - Evil Beholder icon
    Thrikodius - Warp Dark (Lost unit spawn effect) model
    Stanakin Skywalker - Call Help (Terror) icon
    PurgeandFire111 - Haunt (Vile Marionettes) spell
    4eNNightmare - FierySoul (Scorched Touch) icon
    NetherSwap (Anguish T2 upgrade
    Mc ! - Black Hole model (Void)
    sPy - TreeExtraction_Rain model (Blight Growth)
    Pharaoh_ - Consumed Mine system for Lost race
    Archmage Owenalacaster - Nexus Portal spell
    From Magic Race - http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=104843
    NFWar - RetournedCaptain icon (Shambler)
    DarkNova (Nullify) icon
    Q w e r t y - Bonedigger Halo (Conduit) model
    Boogles - Soulfire missile (Ravager missile) model
    PeeKay - AstralBlessing (Purgatory) icon
    Torment (Collateral Destruction) upgrade
    InnerFire (Surge) upgrade
    shamanyouranus - Blood Fury (Unbridled Fremzy buff) model
    Revilo - Forgotten One and Beholder edits

Hero:
    scorpion182 - Shadow Attack (Hideous Halo)
    judash - Moron Eater (Horror) model
    http://forum.lowpolyworkshop.com/topic/9034949/1/
    Juan_Ann - Impale (Skewer) icon

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  13. Bannar

Bannar

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I've decided to resignate from ths contest. Even that I have spent ~170 hours on project I haven't completed it fully enough to be proud of it. And if i'm not, I won't upload anything. Good luck to everyone.

14. shiiK

shiiK

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yeah, updated the final entry post, a little overdue, hate all you want. I regret not going through with this when the contest first started, rather than putting in a "last minute effort", as is my habit. I never got a chance to bugfix, tweak balance and get feedback on the gameplay. It was fun anyhow.. except for the countless corruptions I had to get through. I even learned quite a bit of JASS, I'd say it ain't half bad for six days experience. Good luck to all contestants, and I hope voters and judges alike will look beyond the awesomeness of the imported resources present in some of these maps (including my own) and focus on the actual techtree and the innovative ideas that make our races different from each other, from average RTS races and from the WC3 races.

15. Kam

Kam

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I spent far too much time on this.

16. Narogog

Narogog

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Final Entry

edit: Reuploaded View attachment (6)SwampOfSorrows Nerubian By Narogogv1.66.w3x
    Concept
    Focusing on the insect side of Nerubians, i made them similar to ants so they Require "tunnel entrances" for constructing units. and moving their armies about.

Units
    Worker Gathers Resources
    Tunneler Builder unit, and moves about under ground. can attack buildings after you research sapping

Scout Fast unit with an excellent los.
    Warrior tough Melee unit can become invisible after an upgrade.
    Webspinner Light Ranged unit can cast web.
    Cave Spider Slow and Heavy Siege unit, powerful but expensive History these creatures have been bred by the Nerubians for centuries, making them bigger and stronger but over time their optical capabilities have been reduced.
    Princess Heavy Ranged unit, Launches Spiderlings as its projectile which then begin to attack the target. Can cast For the Hive, which will make the target unit powerful but causes it to die after 10 seconds, when cast on tunnelers it makes so that they can cast an ability called sap which will do massive damage to a target building.

Weaver Controlling spellcaster, can cast Wall of Air, PainfulBinding and Bind.
    SeerInsightful spellcaster, can cast Vision, Curse, and Frost armor

Hero
    Queen Mother Mystical Hero, adept at summoning minions.
    Spiderling Attack increases Attack speed of the queen and causes her to launch spiderlings at her enemies.
    Spawn eggs creates a bunch of eggs that hatch into scouts or spiderlings?
    Queens Presence Increases nearby allies units health regen.
    Queens Command Increases the units damage and health regen and prevents the from dying from For the Hive instead the unit get stunned.

Lord Strong Hero, adept at absorbing damage.
    Impale Slams the ground with the Lord's massive claws, shooting spiked tendrils out in a straight line, dealing damage and hurling enemy ground units into the air in their wake.
    Chitinous Carpace Reduces damage dealt to the Lord
    Bounty Gives gold to you whenever the lord damages an enemy.
    Fearsome Presence Frightens enemies reducing their damage and makes so that they have a chance to run.

Tunnel Spider Behemoth Hero that is incredibly difficult to control and has been shrunk with magic to make it smaller and more easy to control.
    Shockwave deals line damage
    Cave Fighter gives a chance to deal bonus damage as well as giving it a chance to shrink to avoid damage.
    Tunnelcreates a tunnel to the target location.
    UnbindTunnelSpiderCauses the Tunnel Spider to return to its normal size, increasing hitpoints, damage and armor.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  17. Bannar

Bannar

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    LOL; How can you guys fix things after 12:00?

It's a bit wierd in case I have needed 2 hours of work to finishs and I wanted to be fair with everyone == didn't uploaded at all (it would be ~2:50).

Can I still upload it?

18. Kam

Kam

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I would suggest you upload it and let Pharaoh_ decide later.

My guess is he won't allow it.

19. 67chrome

67chrome

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Well, I'm not 100% sure how it works either, but the gist of it is something like this: every person ranks which entry they like best to worst, in WC3C higher numbers were used to show better ranks. Each entry is averaged with the scores it received (so if you don't rank a race in any particular way it will essentially be the same as giving it the average score). The numbers themselves given to races don't matter, it's just the order they are placed in. (so you could rank races 91-100 rather than 1-9).

20. Bannar

Bannar

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Okey I'll upload it now. If Pharaoh_ decides to DQ, let it be (it's in wips post btw, forgot to mention).

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.