• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #5 - Innovation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 35
hmm... review is well thought out, i reckon you could be a good judge
yes, balance! that will be fun, fun, fun =D
as for the look of the buildings, duely noted, i MAY change the townhall to happytauren's model for a bit more of a simple look, more so depends on what the overall look is (a more simple look will probably be more desirable as i plan on using mostly ingame models)

ah yes, originality of demons... something i considered on many, many fronts. THE FELGUARD is a rather cliche choice imo, which is why i'm going to try and make it a little less cliche in its role. another possibility i had considered was using the Fel Hound as the starter unit (possibly giving it a different name) and giving it upgrades to make it just like a Zergling from starcraft XD
however i decided against that idea and currently have plans for the low tier untis which i shall reveal LATER ;)

Level 35
oh incidentally, i just checked and the current model for the townhall is the exact same size as the ingame necropolis

is that for my race or skycraft's? if for mine, i will make sure it's balanced by including mechanics to ensure a lack of ranged does not become an issue, or just add some more ranged unit alternatives

Level 8
Um, Infinite Answers, I hate to complain, but I don't really see the merit in preliminary judging. It's just a picture of a few units slapped together; there are no real details to discuss yet. It's a shame the poll for last contest got deleted, there were a lot of good examples of reviews and judging. Personally, I would prefer if someone would judge with proven experience in race-building. Isn't Pharao_ judging again?

Level 16
Heh, apart from my total lack of impartiality and being a repeat offender of missing datelines... I beg to pass.

Thanks all the same. Though truly, better judges can be found out there. Past judges like 67chrome and Pharaoh_ seem like obvious choices, if they don't plan on entering that is.

Level 16
I must have caught a lazy bug somewhere, because I just feel like staying out this time, although the competition will once again look fierce. And even if I did join... that's some crazy assumption you got for me there Velj :p

Edit: @Bugz: Exactly.. what? Exactly Wrong? :D

Level 35
It was meant for you wazzz, and skycraft if u didnt notice i updated the pre-judge for you.

Was thinking over some of my currently planned units:
4 planned units, 3 melee, 1 caster, 1 flyer, 4 ground (have fun figuring that one out ;D).

But the problem is, both the early units were melee. Then you'd have the caster to deal magic damage from a distance. The biggest problem was, however, that I want my Felguard (now named 'Brute') to be a tank for damage. Without an adequate ranged force in the early game, it will be hard to use them effectively early on, as they are NOT goot damage dealers.

Soo I reasoned that I'd make the other melee unit (which will be revealed not too shortly, I hope) a short-range melee unit that can only hit ground targets (you'll see why the limitation is there later).

Anyway, got nothing on today so I guess I'll be working on this quite a bit.

Level 17
Here is my tier one.
Still thinking about upgrades though :3

Attachments

• wip.jpg
    wip.jpg
    488.6 KB · Views: 166
Level 17
Sorry for not pleasing you with my "lack of creativity", your highness.

If you want more creativity then please enter yourself or wait until someone else makes one up. It's not even August yet.
Not to mention I'm only here to make a race I think would be fun, not to give everyone some new "OMGWOW LOOK@WUTHEDID!!" race.

Level 51
I never wanted to offend you, I just tried to say there are nearly always the same races, or variations of them. Actually, I wanted to help you, as, when you make a goblin race which was in at least one of the last contests too, then you'll probably not get that much creativity points.

Again, I didn't want to say that I don't like your ideas. I really like them in fact.

Level 7
omg, time till september? guess im joining, but anyway, after my holiday (8th august)...
looks like this contest is gonna be full of participants...

btw, do we have to create also 4 heroes for each race?
and also, im probably not doing this, but are naga and draenei or blood elves classified as normal races?

Level 35
okay, time for a second wip:

s4ynn9.jpg

okay, so the description is very unecessarily long for the hellion, but i had space because it's like two important things i've added since my last wip

so basically, the hellion is going to be very f*cking versatile. it starts out dealing great damage on the ground, using the brutes to shield it from damage. then you will be able to put it into the air to deal with ranged combatants.

using this ability you will also be able to perform drops behind the enemy's worker line (is it called that in warcraft? whatever i'm calling it that) and doing a bit of harassment.

as for the plasma tower, i DID say this was a race based on alien technology. so, this basically shoots out plasma. big whoop. however, it can divert it's shields to dealing extra damage. now, while people might think 'why wouldn't you have that one all the time?', you will find the damage output won't be worth it if it's being attacked heavily. it's mostly worthwhile when you've got it on the high ground and are able to protect it from enemy fire.

Level 51
Oh, and, a question. In my race I'm using two wow textures for the dragonspawns, as they have the same wrap in wow. They're basically the same textures just darkened with some energy lines on them. They're the ONLY one's I'm using, all the others I do myself, I just wanted to use them because they're already made. Would this be okay, as it isn't something drastically :/

attachment.php
attachment.php

Remember, I'm not using wow models.

Attachments

• Unbenannt.JPG
    Unbenannt.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 290
  • Unbenannt1.JPG
    Unbenannt1.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 287
If they are not edited at all (and by edit I don't mean some brightening, but some actual edit, just like "Refuge in Ruins" model pack (terrain section)), then they cannot be accepted.

Plus, with that 5 MB, I could simply import new tiles :)

In case you're not fooling around, you are not allowed to edit the tileset and the actual map outlook. However, for those that insist on doing it, you are allowed to do so with triggers (thus, you are not actually breaking any rules). Oh yes, some trick for the persistent and know-it-all judges :]

Level 51
Alright. I'm going to edit them so they fit.

Edit:

WIP

attachment.php

From left to right -->

Infinite Warrior: Basic infantry unit, can research the ability to increase dodging for 50% by 5 seconds, costs similar to footman

Nethermancer:
Caster unit, very agile/fast, can banish units for 10 seconds (they are simply taken out of the fight for the time, they can not be attacked, not with normal attacks neither with spells)

Spherehunter: First flying unit, is ground AND flying unit, can research the ability for counting just as air unit but loosing some damage.

Dragonroost: Main and most important building, works similar to the zergs in sc2 --> when training a unit an egg appears that can be destroyed, but the units have faster building time through that, trains most tier 1 units

Attachments

• WIP.JPG
    WIP.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
Level 6
W.I.P: Old Britain Race

Here are two wips about my old Britain race.It's a mix up of common middle age engineering(Trebuchets etc...) and some mystical "a la Merlin" units such as gryphon riders and Irish Bashers.

First picture is about the tier 1.

Second picture is about the tier 2.

Attachments

• Tier 1.jpg
    Tier 1.jpg
    567.1 KB · Views: 246
  • Tier2 3.jpg
    Tier2 3.jpg
    495.6 KB · Views: 295
Level 38
Oh sweet, another one of these contests started :D

I'm totally entering this. Thinking about doing Drow for this one (already have 5 drow skins on my hardrive, so meh), and go a more high-survival, high-cost route similar to Protoss. And probably a more D&D aesthetic than Blizzard. But we shall see.

If anyone is interested you can totally use any of the resources I've made, just adding my name in credits somewhere is all I ask for that.

Level 6
67chrome, i got some extremely good drow models( a full techtree) i could give them to you if you want but you'll have to ask Em! and Mechanicalman because they are the modelers.

Bugz, 5MB is nearly unlimited:) only 2.5 used so far.

Attachments

• Drow race.jpg
    Drow race.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 261
Level 35
67chrome, i got some extremely good drow models( a full techtree) i could give them to you if you want but you'll have to ask Em! and Mechanicalman bacuase they are the modelers.

Bugz, 5MB is nearly unlimited:) only 2.5 used so far.

don't advertise them as 'i got some...' when they're really not yours. and besides, i'm pretty sure mechanical man and em! want to keep those models unique to their project (unless you're talking about the older ones).

so what sort of systems is people implementing? what innovations are we creating so far?

Level 45
So, hey, why the hell not.

attachment.php

Basically, Unsummoned are there just to build structures, whereas Phaselings will be of further use by being able to morph into the necessary units [I doubt I'll manage that]. Theme is demons, duh, but with the twist that summoning plays a large part of their being 'here', Phaselings being unfinished summons, which explains their ability to morph into various shit.

Attachments

• qe.jpg
    qe.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 533
Status
Not open for further replies.