• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Techtree contest #4 poll

Please Specify Preference

• Short

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Long

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • Paired

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • Not Paired

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Guild

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Superbuilding

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Real World

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Creep Attack

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Modern Warfare

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Its been a LONG time since the last Techtree contest. So I'm going to set up a poll here, to see what mappers want to do for the next one. Heres the Criteria:

Time:

Soon: Lets do it in a week or two!

Later: Lets wait a month or two!

Mappers:

Paired: Lets have pairs of mappers on this next one!

Not Paired: NO WAY.

Theme:

Guild:
mappers must make a special 'Guild' For a chosen Race. This guild would have certain Hierarchical requirements, and several required unit types, but mostly be relativly free for all. There would be a relativly high tier requirement, although each teir could be smaller. the teirs would be around 3-7. A guild could be anything, such as a warriors guild or a mages guild, or even somthing more specific, such as a guild of mage-assasins. There could be a specific race, such as humans or orcs, or it could be any race, depending on preference. Balance and originality would play important roles here.

Superbuilding:
Mappers must amke a race based around a 'Superbuilding'. This building could be anything, such as a fortress that could take a number of different upgrades to be an extrmely powerful bastion, or a temple that gives powerful buss to heroes. or a barracks that can train 2 units for the ost of one, ect. Balance and Originality would play important roles here.

Real-World:
Mappers would be reqired to make a race based off of a real-world faction or group at a specific time. Historical accuracy would be very important. The timeline would have to be before the year 1550. Some things, such as legends and myths would be allowed. for instance, doing king arthurs army would be able to use merlin. There would have to be limits on this however.

Creep Attack:
Mappers would have to make a race out of a creep army. Similar to the blizzard game, Monoliths, but more detailed and blanced.

Modern Warfare:
Mappers would make a foce that would exsist between 1930 and 2075. Technology would have to be relatvly similar to todays, if it happened in the future, even though if could be quite fictional. Balance and originality would be very improtant here.

Last edited:
Creep attack is the best, cause it requires a fuck load of creativity. just like the Kobold race from Stanakyn Skywalker in the last tech-tree competition, or my Tuskarr race, or even the nerubian race etc.

it requires a lot of models that might not be found easily, needs balance, plan B and C if you can't find the right stuff for it etc.

Definably creep...

Also, I suggest Paired, because it needs a fuckload of time for 1 person to make a techtree + not everyone are good in every fields.

and I suggest we should wait until the end of school, so than people will have plainty of time.

Level 35
I like the Guild idea, how exactly does that work, though? You choose a guild to implement in the race, or is the entire race based around the guild?

One other thing that's confusing me a little bit is the mention of tiers 5-7. You mean we'll be implementing huge numbers of tiers? I'm guessing this isn't intended to be balanced with the melee races, is it?

Level 16
I voted for - long, not paired, creeps (with guilds being my 2nd choice)

Long because I am busy up to early June with my final semester project.

And although I voted not paired, I wouldn't mind if it actually ended up being a paired contest, especially if we're going to do the guilds theme (which is probably going to be a lot of work).

And lastly I like that creep monolith idea very much, as it is always refreshing to see neutral hostile creeps being turned into a feasible race via a person(s)'s imagination and creativity :>

Level 16
Ah yes, the question about imports. Why don't we also vote on the import limit/map size limit while we're at it. I'm sure everyone has a different opinion when it comes to imports, so let us have a general consensus to avoid potential future bickering.

@ Wazzzie: Bleh :p I personally think that a creep race needs imagination (a lot!), otherwise it would be so bland and predictable. To bring it to the next level, one must be creative and add stuff like special abilities, racial traits etc. etc. until the point when it actually requires to be played differently including the application of unique strategies exclusive to that race. I would then deem races like this to be a successful interpretation of blizzard's original and boring creeps. It sure takes creativity!

Level 16
@ supertoinkz: Of course we should allow imports, I was merely asking what is the import limit, if there is one.

@ The World Is Flat: As Fangorn would say, "Don't be hasty :D " Let more interested people to come in and vote before a decision is made, as I feel things are being rushed too quickly. Furthermore there are other questions to consider which bogged down the last techtree contest, like the polls to judging ratio, or whether we should emulate the voting style wc3c where user reviews have all the say.

Level 35
That is a good point, VeljKom.
Now that I think about it, how can we limit ourselves to doing Creep races only, anyway? I mean, come on, that's going to rely on people creating custom resources all over again.
So, the Creep idea could work, but if it does go that way, please please please limit the number of resources we're allowed to use. That way we can be forced to be a little more imaginative with the Warcraft 3 resources, making it a true contest ;)

Ow, and will there be judges?

Level 35
Yea, like when Chrome did the judging, he put an indepth report on why he gave each race the score he did and what different fields he looked at. Most people just went on with a popularity contest... which is GAY lol

2MB wasn't really that great, I think a true limit would be like 'only 1 import allowed' or something like that, forcing a true stem of creativity from the competitors :3

Level 35
Consider that, with creativity, people could make a race out of anything they wanted. After all, one could argue that the Mur'guls don't have many different models at all. However, what about what you did with them? You didn't use a single unit model import, and yet you made a fully functional race. Hell, as I recall, you came third place. So yea, it's possible. The main thing we should be looking for is creativity and funcionality of the race, not what pretty colours were used (hmm... deja vu :p)

Anyway, we don't even know if it's going to be Creep or not yet lol

Level 16
I have no problems if people want to create custom stuff for their races, be it models, skins, icons or even JASS systems. But we need a limit to this so people (including me) don't go overboard and import stuff just for the sake of importing them, to quote 67chrome. Also he once said that we should avoid the situation where it becomes an 'import orgy', as that would take away the primary focus of building our own race.

So I'm all for an unlimited amount of imports, but limited in terms of map size, like 1mb or better still, 750kb :D

Level 15
If it is going to be a 'paired' race creation then I recomend having a higher import limit. What will most likely happen is one of the two will do the OE and triggers while the other does the resources. If one person spends 1 month doing nothing but create resources then imagine what can be accomplished. If it is one for triggers and one for resources, which will probably be the case for some teams, then why limit one-half of the team by telling him that he can work to a certain point then has to stop while the triggerer/object editor has no limits on what he can do. It kind of sets an unfair ratio of work done within the team if one only does a few resources while the other spends the whole month working his butt off on the triggers.

Personally I am really looking forward to watching this contest. I am really hoping that it does end up with a triggerer teaming up with a icon maker/modeler/etc. Just imagine what it would do for the hive's resource database if you have Mr. Goblin or Stanakin spend a month making a massive amount of icons and skins for a specific race while not having to worry about stopping to create triggers and stuff. I don't think that we have to worry about the biased public voting for appearance. If there is a high percentage of profesional judging and a low percentage of puplic poll then we know that all races will be judged fairly and the race that is trully the best in all areas will win. In my personal oppinion, I think that the size limit should be a higher one. Have a limit obviously, so that people don't go overboard, but don't limit a resource maker too much by making it 1mb or so.

Anyways, that's just my oppinion. I look forward to watching this, what ever it ends up being.

Level 16
Have we moved on already? D: I felt that there is still a lot more to be discussed.. don't be so hasty :p

Also, I agree with Chaos.'s sentiment. It is going to be very exciting if it ends up as a paired contest, consisting of a 2D artist and a triggerer.

But still, a limit of sorts in terms of map size is a must, as for example, I'd hate to see a race where the game play is so messed up becomes the favourite because it can rely on its beautiful art created by the other guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.