• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #4 - Improved Melee Race

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
you say people will spam stornger units, people already do that with the current melee system. Either they create alot of lower tier units and rush, or they wait and create alot of strong units asap and easily win. It just opens up stratagie. Okay ill go from rifle man to motar team? Happy?

Level 35
Even if that's the case, why would you want to replicate a broken system?
Besides which, fully teched Archers are very viable in the late game, I know for a fact that spamming Riflemen with a few Sorceresses and Priests is a very powerful combination, Crypt Fiends in the late game are great...
The basic idea of a strategy is to be able to get use out of every unit. Take Chess, for example. You might think the Pawn is a very useless piece, but that is far from the truth. You use this whole line of Pawns to create positions that benefit you, you use them to trap more powerful units, and you can even make them into Queens once they reach the other side of the board.

Level 48
'Spamming strong units' as in getting a bajillion Knights and Gryphon Riders and a level 10 Mountain King and then just attack-moving towards the enemy.
What Wazzz asks, I believe, is if lower-tier units are completely useless compared to your higher-tier units. It doesn't open up strategy; Any sensible person will upgrade their 500 HP, 10 damage rifleman to a 1000 HP, 25 damage Machine Gunner. The question is, then, are Riflemen completely useless compared to MarinesMachine Gunners? If that is so, then it's pretty boring.

Pharaoh_, I agree with you about how races should be keen to their lore, I agree with you about how a Human race shouldn't have Undead units or Orcs, I agree with you about how heroes shouldn't be named "John Smith" or "MC Hammer", but I completely disagree with you about the amount of limitations to creativity you're giving us. I think we should be allowed and ENCOURAGED to be creative, and if someone wants to make a race from an alternate lore, then he should be allowed. If someone wants to use Spiders in his Satyr race, he should be allowed. If someone wants to make a troll-only Horde(say, under the leadership of a troll warchief), he should be allowed. Otherwise people's creativity is being limited, and that's definitely not good. :/

After all, those limitiations could be accurate, the saytrs could have trained war spiders, obviously there is a limit. but i see nothing wrong with an all troll branch of the horde, easily plausible. i also see little wrong with a branch of the undead devoted to bringing back a skeletal army, easily plausible lore and gameplay wise.

creative restrictions such as these make an already boring theme nightmarish, these are contests of creation, not reitteration.

Level 7
A human army can't host a half-undead unit for example.

So u say i cant add a death knight who after breaking out of the Lich King's spell, instead of joining the Forsaken in slaying both the living and Scourge, he returned to fight for his people's survival alongside them?

Level 11
Lack of Human models is indeed something I have notices as well. At least the lacking of good looking buildings.

Altered Race: Human

Intro
I try to implement new systems into the race, as well as stick to as much authentic wc3 melee feel as possible.

Human
My Human race will be much dependent on disables (eg silences, armor reduction, stuns), zone control, formation and teamwork. The Humans are many but weak, only by combining good supportive healers and buffers together with vanguard units the Humans stand a chance. As Humans have lower health and damage output than most other Races their goal is to use their teamwork survivability to endure.

Difficulty: Medium
Strengths: Disables, zone control, numerous, teamwork, survivability, healing, magically resistant, strong late game, good income.
Weaknesses: Weak single units, weak early game, expensive upgrades, dependent on abilities (silence is their nightmare), zone control and formation,.

WIP

Attachments

• WIP1.png
    WIP1.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 144
Level 17
Alright so here are the Heroes I'm going to be using (I changed it up a bit since my last post) as well as the Unit tier levels, I haven't done anything apart from that.
I considered that Fel Orcs would be tied with the Burning Legion so thus allowing them to have demons in their ranks to compensate for Trolls, Taurens and Wyverns.

EDIT: Shit I forgot to post the credits!
Fel Orc Crossbowman - General Frank
ICON - Mr. Goblin
Prime Matron - dickxunder

Attachments

• Tier System.jpg
    Tier System.jpg
    374.1 KB · Views: 150
  • Hero System.jpg
    Hero System.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 123
Level 35
Lack of human models is a problem, but I don't mind, I'm using mainly ingame ones anyway for my idea :p
Although I do wonder if I should combine my race with another subrace... then again, too hard to stay within the lore :p
lol, I think I can come up with a solution that will fit the race, although I don't know if I really want to :p

Okay, pitch me some ideas plox, I'm doing Dark Humans, using ingame Bandit models to dictate this idea, so, what race should I include with them if any?
So far I've thought of Dwarves, but don't really know for sure about that (not really many Dwarf models fitting the theme, you know...).
Then I thought Blood Elves, but they don't really look good with them, either.
I'm thinking Harpies could be added, as this race is very Nomadic (might change their theme to Nomadic Humans lol), just so they have a flyer unit as well :p
Also thinking of Razormanes and Quillboars, but that might be a little too crazy.

Basically, atm, they lack a flying unit, and that is all. So, what should I add? :p

Alright so here are the Heroes I'm going to be using (I changed it up a bit since my last post) as well as the Unit tier levels, I haven't done anything apart from that.
I considered that Fel Orcs would be tied with the Burning Legion so thus allowing them to have demons in their ranks to compensate for Trolls, Taurens and Wyverns.

EDIT: Shit I forgot to post the credits!
Fel Orc Crossbowman - General Frank
ICON - Mr. Goblin
Prime Matron - dickxunder
Look cool so far :thumbs_up:
I want to see spells and buildings as well :ogre_hurrhurr:

Level 16
And is it compulsory to make 4 heroes? The four main races have 4 heroes each, while the naga only had 1. Are contestants free to pick their own middle ground?

Let's say I'd rather make only 2 heroes for my alternate orc race. Any points deduction in that?

Level 38
All right, I've decided upon doing Naga, Illidari style.

67chromerace01.jpg

The Illidari are a culmination of all of Illidan's followers, which is mostly covered in WC3 lore to begin with. It includes naga, blood elves, broken draenei, and chaos orcs. I decided to leave out the draenei as the race looks cluttered enough with three major races.

The Naga Hero with the hermit-crab shells was modeled by Misha (I did the skin for it though) and the skin on the demon hunter was done by Darkholme. All the other custom resources were skins done by me.

I'm planning on having a berserker/ranger/paladin/oger magi/whatever upgrade for the chaos orc, archers, and myrmidons.

the four units in the front are summoned through hero abilities. The snap-dragon is going to be the basic ranged unit with a cheap cost, it should end up being something like a ranged zergling. the archers are the siege units, they have roughly the same stats as the mortar team. I'm thinking of adding an ability that increases their damage based on the distance to their target, so even though they won't have minimum range the damage will mostly suck at close range. The orc-warlock is going to be something like the dryad were it has abilities but isn't an official caster. The blood-elf assassin is going to have stealth but it will lift for a long enough period of time whenever it attacks that no stealth detection will be needed to kill it. The wyvern re-skin is going to be more like a flying kodo beast with unstackable auras, so even with a large unit the race should play more like zerg.

Level 7
Hey this is my WiP for my Submission.

Altered race: Orcs

I am making the remenants of the Stormreaver Clan, and what the force would likely look like if they did get back together and make a force!

Credits to: -Tauer for Gul'dan Deathnight model

What is a "Broken Shaman"? From what i know the Broken are a tentacly race that live in Outland. http://www.wowwiki.com/Broken

Level 48
I'm also remaking the naga. I haven't made all the units yet, but so far, I'm thinking of branching the techtree into Mur'gul and Naga, wherein Mur'gul will cost a lot of gold(gold gathering is fast for the Naga, while lumber gathering is slow) and very little lumber, will cost little supply, have little health and armor but have fast speed and high damage. The naga on the other hand will be the complete opposite. I think the final Tier 3 unit will be decided by the player, based on what they want - a powerful, tough naga, or a fast and sneaky Mur'gul.
In addition, the Naga will earn resources through Mur'gul Gatherers, cheap units with a weak attack that harvest resources and can be upgraded in the Mur'gul Camp(the Mur'gul barracks) into Mur'gul Darters, the basic ranged unit of the race, a small Mur'gul that throws poisoned darts at the enemy.

Here you go, what I did so far, ofc abilities, upgrades, stats, tooltips everything is 90% finished!

attachment.php

As you can see improved units so far are:

Footman -> Zealot
Priest -> Diviner
Knight -> Templar
Paladin -> Templar Commandant

with spell breaker those will be only units that look like standard ones, dwarfs will be replaced and so on!

I have great idea and story what happened here!
This will be human race 1 or 2 thousand years after leaving Lordaeron and making their new home on Kalimdor!

Epic tooltips, special effects on their buildings and much much more are only few things of many that you should expect!

Real deal will be hero and units spells as well as systems that will be explained later!

Oh another thing, some units have green lightning around eyes, another mystery :xxd:, think about it :razz:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 295
Level 35
Okay, something mechanical sounds good, and this model seems to fit the bill: BAM

So yea, I'm thinking of making it that this is possibly just a flying version of the Brigand, so it uses the same Poison-Tipped Spears ability (which may seem a little overbearing for use of that ability, so I might not use it on this unit, I'm not sure). Also, I think I have a cool idea of how I'm going to include it =)

My final race will be like a campaign race with primarily weak units that have strength in numbers, so yeeeeeea. Thinking of only having one hero, too, it's just a simple race :3

Level 35
Man, Marcelo, I am definitely envious of how your race is coming out >:D
Love the econ system, although I do have to ask after trying it out, is it going to be balanced later on? I mean, atm, you have a Gold Mine mining for itself and costing 0 Food whereas to get full mining efficiency as any other race you will need to set 5 food aside for that. Additionally, you have the Magic Garden doing what Wisps do for 0 food as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.