• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #4 - Improved Melee Race

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Here's a small WIP... No heroes yet, just the resource "system" xD
Am I in the right path to the light of this contest?

Edit: for those who tried to play it and bleh, I've fixed the map. Probably had problems when renaming it and not saving it again.

Known bugs (oh noes, already?)

1. If Entangled Gold Mine (the new one xD) or its upgraded version is destroyed, the gold mine disappears.

2. When entangling a gold mine, it's gold amount goes back to the Gold Mine Ability ability default amount.

What does Haunted gold Mine and Entangled Gold Mine (original) has that makes it keep the gold amount the gold mine had and, when destroyed, turns back into a normal gold mine?

Attachments

• Techtree Hossomi.w3x
    246.6 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Level 35
This whole 'lore' thing is getting pretty fucking stupid. First you want us to make races based on existing ones, but now it's beginning to sound like we're just meant to literally recreate the same race with new models and stuff. And that's pretty fucking lame.

As far as I was aware, we were allowed to take the main race of our choice and create it in a theme that worked for the race. Hence me doing Evil Humans. But from the sounds of people's confusion, we have to stay true to the existing Warcraft lore? That's holding back our imaginations a little too much, isn't it?

Additional: First WIP, btw

Bandits and Brigands share a lot of abilities atm (Defensive Stance [which is essentially Defend] and Hide [Shadowmeld atm, will probably be changed to a different invisibility ability]), but the Brigand will have Poison-Tipped Spears and I'm debating whether the Bandit should have an Evasion ability or a variation of the Evasion ability. Anyway, only time will tell.

As for the Bandit Lord, atm it looks like it's going to be a weaker version of the Knight. As I don't want this to be true, I'm thinking of giving it an ability. As I'm sort of loosely basing this race off of the actual Bandit creeps, I'm thinking of giving it an Aura of sorts (but not an existing one, as that would be lame and awful). More on that later.

The Mage has no custom spells as of yet, nor do I have any ideas, but I'm thinking of making it an offensive caster (offensive like the Sorceress, perhaps with a support spell, too).

Attachments

• WIP1.gif
    WIP1.gif
    232.9 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Level 35
I know for a fact you aren't allowed to have custom armor/attack types (why would you even want this I don't even...), I believe that Heroes would be a must, but custom item shops would not. The most you can change the gameplay is to make your race as CRAZY as you want. But you can't touch anything outside of the race. If you want to edit the terrain, that's not allowed, you can't edit the mercenaries, you can't edit the creeps, you can ONLY edit your race.

I believe this is right, so I hope this clears things up for you.

Level 17
Here is a screenshot of the current units, hopefully I'm doing this right so far.
Credits to General Frank & Mr. Goblin for Fel Orc Crossbowman.

I'll provide an in-game screenshot soon!

EDIT: Since I am doing Fel Orcs, does this mean I am allowed to use demons such as Succubus, Fel Guard, etc?
Or is that not allowed? o.o

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    462 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Level 35
I think that should be allowed, what I'm wondering is if Fel Orcs are allowed (I believe they are, though (=).
Anywho, update on my race...
Well, while not wanting to give anything BIG away just yet, I have decided on some abilities for my units.
First off, the Bandits and Brigands both get a different stealth ability to Shadowmeld (no spoiler alert as to what it is yet, though), and they both get an ability that is EXACTLY THE SAME AS DEFEND (for NOW). Furthermore, staying true to what abilities the units have as creeps, I have given the Brigand an option to be upgraded with Poison-Tipped Spears (exactly the same as all the other Slow Poison attacks, just a new name, so DON'T PANIC).

Okay, the Bandit Lord, which is for all intents and purposes a weaker version of the Knight, has been given an ability to make it a bit of utility (for now, this will probably be changed in the future, might just make the Bandit Lord VERY similar to the Knight in the end, anyway). FOR NOW, however, it has been given Command Aura. While this may seem boring, it is not the ingame Command Aura, it is an aura that increases Attack Speed, not Damage. Not really that interesting, though, and as it doesn't stack you wouldn't really want that many Bandit Lords, and that's not quite the effect I was after...

The Mage STILL has no decided abilities, but here's what I'm tinkering with in my head atm:
- AoE spell that, when cast, gives all surrounding units Magic Resistance for, let's say, 30 seconds.
- Same idea as above, only instead of Magic Resistance, every surrounding unit gets Anti-Magic Shell.

As you can see, both ideas are themed around countering magic. Perhaps I'm sticking a little too much with this theme, but I think that as I'm having a very low variety of units, anti-magic would be an important feature to make sure I have.

Ok, guys I think you misunderstood some facts.

1) You are allowed to change the flow of a classic melee game even, strategy-wise, the lore I mentioned is so that the race makes sense. A human army can't host a half-undead unit for example. That's it.

A few questions:

-must you include heroes and items
-can you have custom armor/attack types
-how far can you change the gameplay compared to warcraft?

a) Yes, heroes are a must, since they belong in the classic melee gaming, but how are you going to create them, that's up to you. Even if you want to add spellbooks to them, use a virtual inventory, anything, as long as it doesn't make the game complex.

b) Yes, you can, that's up to you. Fortunately or not, I will only test the race you create, because if I judged myself against your race, that would require AI, which you are not supposed (or forced) to create.

c) That's up to you. It depends on your ideas; new and creative gameplay doesn't automatically make it feel off of the WC3 gameplay.

I think that should be allowed, what I'm wondering is if Fel Orcs are allowed (I believe they are, though (=).

They are allowed, since Orcs were once corrupted in the Warcraft 3 lore (by that pit lord, if I recall well), resulting this blood-skin appearance.

2) You can change the ability count to 7, you can include no town hall, you can be inspired into creating a whole new warcraft 3 race (with the concept of its original), but all you must think along with your excitement is to prevent the gameplay from being too complex or hard/weird to understand. You can add new unit-types, for example common races currently have a town hall, a farm-type unit, a tower, barracks, an item shop and additional barracks for upgraded soldiers. Overriding this structural pattern, you could for example add a unit that will be harvesting air for powering-up the city's supplies. It's up to you! Ok, enough of ideas :p

Level 16
Ok i wanna take part.
My question can i make an orc clan. For example twilights hammer clan? Or Shadow Council orcs from the time of the 2nd war?

:vw_wtf:can saytrs spiders and corrupted treants mix?

Yes, but you need to make satyrs look like leaders of the treants. Spiders though are out of the theme. Quote from wowwiki:
Xavius had been corrupted by Sargeras himself and had the power to turn other willing night elves into satyr.

So, corrupted night elves that derive from demonic manipulation are similar to fel orcs.

Ok i wanna take part.
My question can i make an orc clan. For example twilights hammer clan? Or Shadow Council orcs from the time of the 2nd war?

Of course, an orc clan is still orcish, isn't it? :p

Level 16
Yes, but you need to make satyrs look like leaders of the treants. Spiders though are out of the theme. Quote from wowwiki:

So, corrupted night elves that derive from demonic manipulation are similar to fel orcs.

Of course, an orc clan is still orcish, isn't it? :p

Yes,yes but the twilight's hammer clan was led by Cho'Gall the first of the ogre magi, and it included a lot of ogres. So can my tech tree(race) include both aswell ogres and orcs? Or should it be stict one race?

Level 48
Pharaoh_, honestly, this contest limits the creativity of people by... A lot. And that's nothing good. You just seem to be dropping limitations on top of our heads. Why wont Spiders and Satyrs mix? Both are evil, shadowy and mysterious. Both once used to be peaceful races living in Ashenvale. Both were corrupted by demonic taint to become evil.
In fact, I made something like that for a techtree contest on WC3C, the 'shadowgrin clan', which was a mixture of corrupted felwood denizens. Why wont that work?

Level 16
Hmm and the quote is not correct Xavius had the power to turn every race into satyr thanks to his bone neckacle.
@Debode thanks.

Level 48
Because spiders, Debode, do not form a race of their own, at least not a race that belongs in the five races of Warcraft. If you recall, they are part of the Neutral side, which doesn't reflect a specific force.

As for the ogres, you are allowed to add them, current orc race is consisted of trolls and taurens as well, so this is also allowed.

Well, Kodos aren't technically a "part" of another race nor do they form a 'race' of their own. Neither do Gryphons, Wyverns, Horses, Wolves, Dragonhawks and the list goes on. Yet they're still in-game.
A more fitting example, however, would be Mountain Giants and Dryads. They aren't TECHNICALLY Night Elven, and it's not like they're a part of a sub-race because there's only one unit of their kind(at least for the Mountain Giants and other such units, like the faerie dragon).

Level 17
Um pharaoh, is this fine.

Description: After King Arthas died, the remnants of the kingdom scattered across the land. Some went and joined with the dwarfs. They adopted their industrial knowledge and finally left to find their own land once more. Being the last of their kind, magic has been lost. Only a few blood elves remain under the humans but through De-evolution their magic skills are not as good as they were. The new humans seek out Iron to produce an army so they can once again be a strong power.

Debode, I said that in case of the spiders in general, not as parts of the race. I just felt that it had nothing to do with the night elves. Anyway, since I see you kind of unable to get the feeling I was aiming for, make your moves and combine stuff you like, just follow the main guideline: the new race must make sense and proper tally up with the race you based it off. I wouldn't want to ruin creativity for you, instead, this is what I am looking for. :)

I am not looking for a custom lore, InfinateAnswers, you are not going to be judged for that, but since your final output will be humans, then yes, your race is conceptually fine and stable. :)

Just find new and different strategies and ways of playing, guys, and implement them into your alternative race. As you can see, the judging criteria have to do with the gameplay and the strategy, focus on that.

Level 17
Alright posting first real WiP to show my tech tree and how my game works. I changed the unit process, instead of being able to just train whatever unit you want, you actually have to go through the tech tree to reach the teir 3 units. A progression system.

Edit: There are more units in the tech tree i put on paper, but i dont have time to finish all of them.
Edit2: If its a wc3 model, i most likely haven't found a suitable one. And the tech tree for recourse collectors, their difference is an attachment given by their harvest ability.

Attachments

• WiP~TechTreeContest.jpg
    WiP~TechTreeContest.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 138
Level 8
Ok, one last question, similar to Kobas question.
Shall I change one of the existing races and then if you for example choose undeads in the beginning of the game you get my race instead? Or shall I create some kind of selector in the beginning of the game so that you can select my race, giving a total of 5 races?
Or shall I simply take an existing race and add units to them? (I don't know how the hell I would do this with Naga, thought).

Level 35
idk if marines fit with warcraft...

I know. They do not fit.

Thank god our creativity is being limited less now, fucking lame as having to reference the actual 'lore' of a race. After all, if the theme fits, why would we care about the actual warcraft lore? It's not a fucking lore contest -.-

Anyway, an update on my race would be that I went to sleep and therefore have not done very much more other than theoretical updates. So, I'm tossing up on how to do things for my race, as I have a couple of interesting ideas in mind, one of which is very interesting, but doesn't work 100% how I want it too and doesn't fit the current race (if I choose to do it, I will most likely change my evil theme to a regular theme for the Humans). As this is a system I was working on with another project, however, I probably won't do it.

Level 17
There are 2 classifications of tier 3, legendary and normal. The legendary tier 3 units include an Assault Tank, a tank operator and heavy machine gunner inside a tank. You can only have 1 legendary unit. Another one is holy swordsman (mounted), and Dark Knight. A mounted knight injected with dark magic. They are equivalent to heroes without abilities. But the normal tier 3 units arnt that special. They just deal more damage, move faster, or attack faster then their tier 2 counterparts, in acceptation of swordsman because hes progressed from tier 1 to tier 3.

Level 11
well for starters, starcraft units don't make sense in a warcraft map, you could have used dwarven steam technology instead
also the upgraded unit makes the previous unit obsolete, so it should be a permanent upgrade upgrade like the bezerker upgrade that apply to headhunters

Status
Not open for further replies.