• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #15 - Poll

Choose the best faction!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
hive-logo-m-png.335473

ct_techtree-png.311501
contest-png.311487
p_hash-png.311483
1-png.311474
5-png.311478
thread_poll-png.311518

warcraft_iii_co_op-png.356195

optionally_paired-png.347924

Contestants were to create a techtree themed around a chosen Warcraft hero/character. The submission must fit the theme of the hero and ideally capture a style of gameplay attributed to them.

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• Trying to manipulate the poll in any form is not allowed.
    If you're aware of ip-sharing with any voter, for any reason, you should contact the staff.
  • Harassment towards others to influence the result will lead to punishment.
  • A neutral recommendation to take part at the poll isn't problematic, though.
  • Voting for yourself is not allowed, and will lead to a malus by 5%.
  • Participating in the poll does not prevent one from being disqualified.
  • Judges are not allowed to vote.
You are very welcome to make a short statement what you like the most, so contestants get a bit of public feedback!

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 75 reputation points
  • 2nd place: 50 reputation points
  • 3rd place: 25 reputation points
  • Entry: 15 reputation points
  • Judge: 15 reputation points per entry
The three winning teams will receive an award icon, representing the winning entry.

other_entries-png.311509

Download All Entries!
For the purpose of this contest, please refer to this archive, as some may have updated their entry since the deadline.

other_judges-png.311510

other_contest_judging-png.311506

Theme
How well the various elements of the Faction (including aesthetics, gameplay & design) fit together in a thematic manner such that they feel like they are representative of the given Faction, as well as that of the chosen Contest Theme. Well-fitting & polished aesthetics which complement a cohesive theme will be graded well; poorly-considered or lacking thematic elements will result in a poor score./25

Gameplay
How well the various elements of the Faction work together to achieve the tactical synergy & gameplay style the Faction has, as well as how efficiently each element performs its particular function. Strategic systems that endow an identity to the Faction, comprehensive & well-though-out roles which complement a cohesive Faction will be graded well; ill-considered, insufficient or over-compensating roles will lose points./25

Balance
Indicates how comparable the Faction is in terms of 'playability'; i.e. the ideal Faction should win/lose 50% of the time against default races. Overpowered or Underpowered units/heroes/abilities/etc. will result in a poor score; properly balanced elements will result in a good score./20

Creativity
How original the design of the Faction is in terms of innovative ideas, clever implementations, or creative concepts. Innovation and creativity will be rewarded; extensive re-use of existing elements in vanilla factions & poor originality will result in a poor score./30

/100

• Judgement: 70%
  • Poll: 30%
FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*Average_Judge_Score/POSSIBLE_SCORE)

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The poll shall begin on 30th of July 2020 and conclude on 13th of August 2020.

Assigned Staff: Mythic

Contest | Results

Attachments

• TC15 Entries.rar
    268.2 MB · Views: 345
Good luck to all contestants (except for some)
738379260254879784.png

Anyways, before everyone tears down my entry, I want to do it myself:
I have spent much less time on it than I should have (~1.5 weeks) due to other projects and irl stuff, so it's not the best I could have done.
There are bugs like an ability which should not have been there (Jaina teleport and scroll F-up), 1 unit with bad gold cost and some grammar mistakes.

Now also wishing good luck to everyone who actually invested time into their maps, and I'll play through them when time is there!

Level 35
738379260254879784.png

Anyways, before everyone tears down my entry, I want to do it myself:
I have spent much less time on it than I should have (~1.5 weeks) due to other projects and irl stuff, so it's not the best I could have done.
There are bugs like an ability which should not have been there (Jaina teleport and scroll F-up), 1 unit with bad gold cost and some grammar mistakes.

Now also wishing good luck to everyone who actually invested time into their maps, and I'll play through them when time is there!

First place, 10/10

Also, this is a pretty amazing turn out for a Techtree Contest, here's hoping the next one is just as popular :)

First place, 10/10

Also, this is a pretty amazing turn out for a Techtree Contest, here's hoping the next one is just as popular :)

Yeah i think the theme was really fun and appealing. I know its something thats probably not given much thought but next time can we get a much better map than Duststorm please.

At this rate Classic could be segregated from Reforged ruling in the future (same contest but two winner pools).
First because of Blizzard protestors who will never get Reforged and won't be able to judge, and second because of the time it takes for custim assets compared to SD ones.

Level 35
It would likely require a substantial amount of Reforged entries to actually be submitted. Granted, there are also those who have the latest version of Warcraft 3 and would prefer to develop in SD as well. It seems unlikely there would be a split between the winner pools, especially considering the majority of the results are decided by the judges anyway, both are both willing and able to play HD and SD accordingly.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I *do* have Reforged. Just don't touch it. ; )

Real-talk: I'm not casting aspersions on anyone who works with HD models, but to my knowledge no one (yet) is actually making HD models from scratch. Is geomerging HD models any harder/take longer than geomerging SD models?

Level 35
By my understanding it's a lot of guesswork at the moment. Retera's Model Studio thankfully has given users access to playing around with HD content, but one of the more notable aspects of it is the amount of detail in each model. Like, there's way more frames to work around with than with SD models.

That's not even taking into account the amount of work that goes into doing a good job of editing a HD texture. There is a phenomenal amount more detail in each one in stark contrast to SD.

Real-talk: I'm not casting aspersions on anyone who works with HD models, but to my knowledge no one (yet) is actually making HD models from scratch. Is geomerging HD models any harder/take longer than geomerging SD models?

Depends what youre geomerging for example doing things like swapping hands legs etc takes a long time due to the amount of extra bones and vertices to link up etc.

But in general yes geomerging HD is a lot harder than geomerging SD for various reasons.

My first impressions on some factions:
  • Mythic - Lord Garithos
    • Units are really overpowered (at least against night elf units). I was able to take down the entire army, and denied even one of my troops, and they still could not kill one unit.
  • Garithos is a very decent tanky Hero who can be Mana dependent at times. He personifies the phrase "Humanity Will Rise Again!". Maybe he should have a meeting with Tresdin.
  • SgtWinter - Kel'thuzad
    • Kel'thuzad, for the better part of the game, embodies the wrath of ice, snow, and bone. His skills appear suited to one staying behind the lines and commanding his troops.
  • It can be quite tricky to learn how to play the faction going in blind. Since the quests section is already used up, a how-to-play quest may be useful.
    • There is definitely a lot of flair in this faction, but the number of researches and abilities can make it all appear daunting at first.
  • MyPad - Mal'furion
    • Oh shit, I forgot to tick Check Dependencies of Leafy Facade to true.
  • Units take up a lot of food, and appear to be fragile early game. This is complementary to their abilities, nearly every unit has an active ability they can use.
  • Mal'furion is very squishy early game, which can lead to skirmishes being lost. However, as the game goes on, Mal'furion slowly gains some tankiness, and at max level, can tank for an entire army without a problem.

Units are really overpowered (at least against night elf units).
The melee AI will never exploit Javelin Throwers' weakness, which is why they might seem overpowered.
When do we get the Judge's feedback? Is that after the poll finishes?
Correct. The verdicts will help determine the results, and will be posted with them.

Level 1
I'm just glad I managed to finish Kel'Thuzad in time, ahaha. Welp! Good luck to ya'll.
I like what ur doing here ur utilizing creep mechanic from Starcraft and actually tried to balance it about pretty well I would say its pretty balanced compared to most other contestants

Status
Not open for further replies.