• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tech Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bump+Question:

currently looking for a setup for the sentry(a T1.5 support unit), i need 2 skills, and maybe a 3rd if i decide to include decloaking Generator. heres a list of ideas ive had sofar, but im open for new ones..

Force Field - same as on sentry already except maybe channeling, except units inside prolly wont be able to pass out, and while inside cant attack or be attacked. may also take damage.

Phase Engine - (autocastable) temporarily phase units out of existance. (meaning any units currently targeting it loose that command). the autocast would probably either work on units with incoming projectiles, giving priority to those with less % health.

Decloaking Generator - Disrupts the cloaks of nearby units (making them no-longer invisible) units whos cloaks cost energy will continue to loose that if the cloak remains active. NOTE: that this means in a 3 way fight, both players can see the cloaked units.

Repair Beam - basically it would instead of attacking, continually repair nearby mechanical units, for free, but at a much slower rate than scv's, also 1 repairing each unit at a time.

NanoBots - targets a unit, healing it by 1-4 hps untill fully healed. probably with a steep mana-cost

TuneUp - increases a target units movement speed for 60 seconds

Enhance - permenently increases the life of a target by 25. this bonus would be stackable, but likely have a steep mana cost, noting that it would likely be overpowered with any repair type skill

combo im leaning twards: Forcefield, decloaking generator, NanoBots

hmm?

Force Field kinda already does that, with imovability, and untargetability however?

and by beam i asume your talking channeling?, asuming it requires the caster to sit there casting, i would think it should do more than just prevent spells.. as there are plenty of instant cast that could also kill the target....

also the dark archon is more of the anti-mage, if any unit would stop spells it would probably be the dark archon (aka stop only spells)

bump

bump

bump..

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
How about giving battlecruisers a missle barrage. It is charged and costs some resources to recharge (with cooldown ofcourse) but instantly fires a few missles at random targets in a given area. The missles should change targets if their intended target is no longer valid (eg it dies).

Additionally you could give battlecruisers warp drives. A free channeled move that allows them to move to the target point almost instantly (at speed 10 or 20) but has a long channel time (about 10 or 15 seconds). Getting hit shortly after exiting warp will result in additional damage (ship is not prepared for combat directly after warping in) To compensate for this move, a speed reduction on the battlecruiser would likly be needed. Move should be automatically used for long distances (saves 25% or more time than just flying there) and if no visible enemies are apparent within the target area.

seems like missle barrage would somewhat cover the same role as battlecruisers default attack attack, (fires 4-6 lasers at random targets), also missles seem a little wasteful lore-wise for something at the pinnacle of human tech, and self-stainability, although your idea has allowed me to re-visit the concept of resources for spells, maybe for the siege tank or something (as anti-air defense?), also for humans the concept behind armored mech(thor) is still lacking a bit.. a spell that cost resources may be just what the doctor ordered

@warp drives
"Warp Jump: Cross map blink with 3 second channel, and 2 second 'slow' time afterwards (cant fire during slow/channel)"

is already in the list for battlecruiser :p, although i could make it where the cruiser visually flys to the point, i think it would be more distracting, especially to the players getting flown over.., although i could always just use a 'shadow' and imply that its flying above the screen if it happens to fly overhead (although thats just extra work :p, which if i scale cast time with distance i would probably do), although my current idea, would be a pre-set cast-time regardless of distance traveled. (into/outa a wormhole)
s
protoss seems to be my big concern still :p,particularly the 3 archons..
Im not happy with there current setup/feel and ill try going back to them once ive finished the race more, i might have to cut back to 1-2 archons, and just make crossbreeding not work, or somethin

(also been really buisy with work/school so i havnt been able to work much on anything :p, and this being one of the lower projects on my prioritys, eh)

also @hole in thor:
some of the ideas ive thought might be interesting, as i dont like whats on him now, especially terrorize (although it fits his function well)
Salvage:maybe it being made of a lot more metal than most, could have a different salvage formula? (50% return guaranteed, and 50% refund based on health (full helth, 100% refund for salvage, half hp, 75% refund, dead, 50% refund, and maybe salvagable by enemys) everything else is just 100% hp=full refund, 50% = half refund dead= no refund?, i dont want to allow all dead units to be refundable, as thats a hella lot of extra return, along with alot of extra time spent (microing, and scvs spent salvaging)

Missle Barrage: the spell mentioned below, aka fire missles for a cost at random targets, possibly aa only, if i make his attacks only hit ground.

Super plating (new name needed): reduces damage taken by minor attacks (anything under 10 dmg after armor reduction, gets reduced by half, rounded up)

I agree that bullets and missles are both wastefull, in comparison to other weaponry, such as lasers.., and (i asume thats what your stateing The World Is Flat)... especially bullets; missles atleast have: explosive damage, and the ability to possibly move around obsticles compared to lasers

@pinacle, even though as a species we have reached the nuclear age, doesnt mean every civilization has, i asume the parts and creation of a battlecruiser means mastery of things like nuclear fusion
(a possible reason behind the use of missles/guns for lower tiers, is a lack of such mastery)

@ missiles wasteful? I agree that low/med tier units use missles/bullets/fuel ; however something with a nuclear core probably would take advantage of it as much as possible for movement and weaponry, although missles for a backup plan isnt at all a bad idea lore wise i kinda like how i have it creating a distinction between the 3 tiers, low - bullet, med - missle, high -laser, the battlecruiser being the tip and having a mid tier weaponry kinda blurs the lines.. although this whole lore part is very minor (and missle effects could easily be replaced with lasers, or vise versa)

but the spell basically mimics how i have the default attack designed already, except for requiring casting, and resources.., and i feel a single target spell is more needed, to allow them to be good against stronger units aswell as numbers...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Missles and bullets are used because of them being hard to resist. If you throw a rock at someting, it will always damage the target but how much depends on how big the rock is and how fast you launch it. If you blow something up it will take a lot of damage, and how else do you blow stuff up in a controled way than with using missles.

Some laser weaponary can be used fine. However if everything used laser weaponary it would be easilly countered (everything made to deflect or distribute the energy) and thus a usless weapon.

yea i agree, mirrored carpace would likely develop, even though in all reality it should have already, the biological cost for a shiny coat isnt much id bet, compared to all the heavy minerals needed for the thick carpaces of some.
and i definently agree with explosive damage from missles, along with ability to dodge obstacles.. (you can fire up, and over a bridge to hit an ultralisk on the other side.., making them irreplacable in some events..

theres several types of explosive damage: fire IE napalm, theres shrapnel IE gernades, shockwave IE TNT, theres even flash or sonic. all targeting different type of things
which does make it kind of hard to 'counter'
all of which could be missle propelled

bullets however... may be explosive, or potentally shrapnel (shotgun), both of which a laser could emulate fairly well, if they had lasers that strong in small enough sizes..,

Status
Not open for further replies.