• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Teachers Good/Bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Share your experiences in this thread.

This year my geography teacher sucked. He stutters while simultaniosly he appearently is dyslectic. Whenever he starts writing on the blackboard he changes everything constantly, so that it is impossible to take notes. I believe he hasn't once said one whole sentence without rephrasing it halfways--atleast not this year. He also is a Norwegian teacher (native language where I live).

My English teacher on the other hands was a genius. He was always in a good mood, and made jokes, so that the lessons never really were boring. Also, unlike my geography teacher, he always chose his words in a way that were easy to understand, yet he didn't spare us for any details. And even though half of the class didn't read the homework, we just read through it at school, and still we managed to go through all the topics. Also, grades weren't given to kiss-asses, but people who knew their stuff. I'm gonna miss him!

Share with me :)

Level 17
Hm, obviously your geography teacher is another one of these teachers making pupils wonder how they became teachers. Nothing new here, really.
Computer Science! Beautiful subject and in addition to that my intensive course. The teacher? Whahahaha, "teacher", good one. If I (and a few others) didn't have all the previous knowledge about programming, most of my classm8s wouldn't make it. Luckily, I'm in a social class where everyone helps each other. Well, that teacher of mine can't explain ANYTHING. If you'd ask him "What's wrong with this code?" he'd just say like "Watch in 'C#-21 Days' " (a document for introducing C# to beginners). Also, if he at least tries to explain anything, he takes nearly the whole 90 minutes of the lesson to explain a single, easy thing. He stutters, doesn't complete a sentence at all and - if it wasn't hard enough to understand him already - he is Indian (or Irani or something ..) and has an extreme accent. <.<
The example he brought for Recursion:
"Well, it's like when you watch into the mirror and you lose hair" ... srsly, WTF?!!
Meeh, but luckily we'll get another, better teacher the next schoolyear.

Level 19
Hm, obviously your geography teacher is another one of these teachers making pupils wonder how they became teachers. Nothing new here, really.
Computer Science! Beautiful subject and in addition to that my intensive course. The teacher? Whahahaha, "teacher", good one. If I (and a few others) didn't have all the previous knowledge about programming, most of my classm8s wouldn't make it. Luckily, I'm in a social class where everyone helps each other. Well, that teacher of mine can't explain ANYTHING. If you'd ask him "What's wrong with this code?" he'd just say like "Watch in 'C#-21 Days' " (a document for introducing C# to beginners). Also, if he at least tries to explain anything, he takes nearly the whole 90 minutes of the lesson to explain a single, easy thing. He stutters, doesn't complete a sentence at all and - if it wasn't hard enough to understand him already - he is Indian (or Irani or something ..) and has an extreme accent. <.<
The example he brought for Recursion:
"Well, it's like when you watch into the mirror and you lose hair" ... srsly, WTF?!!
Meeh, but luckily we'll get another, better teacher the next schoolyear.

Accent + stuttering, lol ^^

Level 19
Well, most of my teachers aren't that bad.

My English teacher is funny but can make sometimes an assholish appearance.

My Maths teacher -can- be nice but she constantly yells at us and screams whenever we get bad grades at maths, saying that we don't pay attention, etc.
She's probably the most hated teacher in my class, but then again, I keep remembering myself she gave most of her time to teach us, >_>'

My favourite teacher is definetly my history teacher and my Technology teacher. My history teacher is extremely nice and explains things very good and my Technology teacher can also explain very well.

Level 51
My geography teacher is the BAD. It's a woman, and everyone hates here. She is lame, boring, is often ill and every second week we have a) a test b) a bigfat homework (wich we have nearly every week though) or c) a report. I hate her...

My france teacher is really nice, she always makes jokes, is everytime friendly and every hour we do something different interesting. also my german and history teacher is cool. (because it's my mum LOL)

EDIT: OMFG I forgot my physics teacher, (also a SHE) she is the really fucking bad, gives lots of homework, she doesn't even explain things, we read something in the internet, (the most complicated sides and things) then we do a worksheet about that (nobody knows anything about...) then we have a test. that goes the whole year :/ also, she doesn't know herself about the things what we learn...

Level 22
My Norwegian teacher speaks New Norwegian, but he's nice. We also have him in Science and he's pretty good, but I've had way better teachers. He's also old. I got two maths teachers. The first one teaches me maths for this grade and she's not good at all. We also have her in Religion, and if that wasn't enough, she's Christian, so her opinion on religion is biased. My second maths teacher who teaches me maths for the next grade is awesome. He's funny and messes around and makes maths a lot funnier and I like maths too. He is pure win. My English teacher is kinda good. He has been in England so he got a British accent. All my teachers are also Norwegian.

Level 16
My Second-Grade Junior High School Biology teacher.
Sometimes I won der how could she became a teacher. She always says that she teaches the materials for National Exams. But why would 8th Graders need it?
My Religion teacher, on the other hand, is pure wtfpwn. He lets us to open internet during exams. Not to mention that his method of teaching gives you the literal meaning of Good Teaching.

Level 19
My Religion teacher, on the other hand, is pure wtfpwn. He lets us to open internet during exams. Not to mention that his method of teaching gives you the literal meaning of Good Teaching.

.. Wait, what? What prevents you from getting the answers from the Internet, then? o_o'

Also, just remember, these people are giving their time to teach you guys the knowdledge you need for later. No matter how hard they suck, their intentions are still good-meant.

Level 16
Fuss, you have yet to see the Religion Exam's questions. And for my current Biology teacher, I doubt that even 9th graders finds use of what did she give as material. She gives the meaning, but not the scientific name. Now that's what I call a good teacher!

Level 19
Fuss, you have yet to see the Religion Exam's questions.

Does that mean that they're questions of explaining views..?

And for my current Biology teacher, I doubt that even 9th graders finds use of what did she give as material. She gives the meaning, but not the scientific name. Now that's what I call a good teacher!

Well, she tries, eh? Also, just give friendly criticism on her way of teaching?

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I've really only had one bad teacher through my roughly 15 years studying (so far). We had her in Science, and at first she seemed fine and - I'll give her this one - she had well structured plans for her classes. The problem with that, though, was that she couldn't possibly stray from her initial plan, which was scribbled down on a piece of paper that she paid close attention to during the entire class. Thus, asking a question she hadn't already answered or wasn't going to answer later, would not achieve the desired effect. She'd excuse herself with it being a matter of taste and that it doesn't have a definitive answer (I later interpreted that as she not knowing anything about the term). She also had a lot of hissy fits, partially because we weren't cooperating and partially because she didn't like a certain group of students. In the end, we had her fired and she also got sued for harassing one of the students - the student won the case.

Otherwise I've had a lot of good teachers through the years, honourable mentions to my Maths teacher and Norwegian teacher at High School (Grade 10 to 13). He had a light approach to teaching, he alternated between lecturing and solving exercises so that we'd have a lot of time to digest the new material in the first class and then we'd be more or less on our own, with him wandering around helping those in dire need, and in the last class (we had 6 hours a week, Monday, Wednesday and Friday, if I remember correctly) he'd bring up some exercises that many had encountered trouble with, lecture new material or just continue the same way as the second class. Our Norwegian teacher was a freshie, she had just finished studying to become a teacher and had no prior experience, we were her very first students (and believe me, we weren't the easiest around) and she did a splendid job. I like to think we shaped her into a good teacher, but in the end I have to admit that she probably did that herself. She knew her subject(s) and had a lot of interesting methods of teaching it so that it wouldn't be all reading books and analysing them. She also happened to be the responsible teacher for our class, so we had her in various non-subject classes as well. I hope they both still fare well.

Level 16
@Fuss
My current Biology teacher had apparently lectured for at least 10 Years. And the Religion exam's question is about the Umayyah and Abbasiyah generations of Islamic Government and Moslem Scientists (My class is All-Moslem). And the materials are effing immense in numbers.

@ShiiK
Sweet, sweet High School? :D

Level 13
Being in a school for "special" teenagers, I can just pick the cool teachers and avoid the lame ones.

That being said, all three lame teachers are math teachers. Leaving me with one math lesson weekly. D:

Level 12
My current math teacher is HORRID. She aims for a note a day, a test every 2 weeks, atleast 10 questions every night, and above all she can't explain anything. She tried teaching us very basic Trig and failed outright. She made us take down a note that consisted of when to use the 3 functions and about 3 practice Questions. Nobody understood it.

Now, my History/ Phys. Ed teacher, was amazing. He knows all his stuff for history, and really likes to goof off well teaching it. For example, one day we were learning about the Raid of Dupee, and the next day we came into class with our desks (Long desks that 2 people could sit at) set into groups of 2, surrounded by cardboard that looked like a WW2 PT boat. The chalkboard looked like Dupee, and we acually got to make tatical disisions about how we would land and what we would do. Probably the funnest class I've had. Did I mention I was his "Lawyer". He would also joke around, and when someone dislike what he did, he would say "Take it up with my lawyer" and point at me.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

[..] a note a day, a test every 2 weeks, atleast 10 questions every night, [..]

Hands down to this woman, she's doing it right. Except for the part I excluded.

Level 17
My civics teacher... he was a classic. Smokes (obvious, as we could smell it each class), taught things that were not relevant to the subject and when people got bored (or yawned and he saw), he'd yell with the same line: "HOI! YEW!"

Not to mention the fact that all of our test revision sheets are the actual tests.

Level 8
My Math Teacher is too...yes TOO Smart for us... he has his docters in math stat, math, .... i could go on and he cant understand why if some of us dont understand the work...

My English teacher is Gay...Yes GAY!! and he keeps on hitting on my friend who sits Next to me...Frigging annoying...

My geography teacher....sigh....the most laziest person on this earth...this year we might of been lucky and only had 15 day of actual work...rest of the times we just chat amoungst ourselves...

My IT Teacher...she is very nice...but she like to gnaw on us...lol

yet school is boring normal itself....

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I'm pretty sure ZnacK means it in a literal sense of meaning.

You mean metaphorically, literally gnawing on your students is cannibalistic. In the end though, I guess it goes under the sense of worrying.

Level 5
I had an amazing Latin teacher at school. Anyone who can make a subject like Latin appear interesting and appealing to a classroom of 15 to 16 year olds is in my opinion, a legend.

School is what you make of it, and it is a fact that if you enjoy something you 'learn' (well, your brain is more receptive and absorbs it better). So, if you have a teacher you like, and who is funny and a general good-guy, then chances are, his students will get good grades. If you have a teacher who is the opposite (for example, Megafyrs geo guy), i'm willing to bet people in that class didn't get good grades.

Level 49
Our maths teacher really sucks. She's fatass, and I don't think even she understands what the hell is she saying. I really only understand what she's teaching by the examples she gives, just by seeing how she solves the example. She's also apparently claustrophobic(even if she doesn't admit it) - our classroom door always HAS to be open when she's teaching. Even if it's fucking raining outside, or it's extremely hot. And really, she's just... Confused. When she tries to explain something, it's like "we have to take the solution of the equitation and then we must... we must do... Err, the solution". Like she gets lost in her own words after half a sentence... I just generally hate her... And she never really helps you learn anything. All I learn from that class is by manual labor, seriously. Her explanations suck.

Oh yeah, and she likes to yell. A lot.

On the other hand our Geography\Literature teacher(yes, we have one teacher for both of these) is a great teacher. She definitely knows how to teach, she is never confused in her words, she is just generally a great teacher. Too bad she can sometimes be quite an... Evil person, so to speak. But if you talk to her after\before class and such, you actually know she's a nice person.

My history teacher is a fucking legend! He's right after Chuck Norris on the level of badassery. He may be old, but he knows a good portion of everything you ask him, not just history, he listens to vintage metal, he had been a semi-pro weight lifter before he was a teacher and his classes are never dull and boring - he usually intersects his lessons with stories of his journeys here and there, and things he saw and such. The only problem is that he'll ask you stuff that he said during classes and literature he has given, since 90% of things he says can't be found in a student's book, hence the insane amount of people who fail history classes. It's a shame that he became notorious because of that to new students, but once you meet him for real, he's awesome.

There's an anecdote with a former graduate and him. The graduate was going to flunk history and repeat the year, so he made a bet with the teacher - if he can do more push-ups than the teacher, he can pass history. And so, the graduate did 50 push ups. The teacher did 55 without even breaking a sweat. Even though he lost the bet, he still passed history, just because of the effort.

Some of his stories sound like utter bullshit. One was something like this:
'When I was in the army 40 years ago, we had a war game which we almost lost. We had to run almost naked through a meter thick layer of snow with full gear on our backs, fleeing from the incoming forces and it was about -20 degrees Celsius. It was intense!'

The short guy in the middle is the teacher:

2uj1dhd.jpg

Level 40
To all of you complaining that your teachers suck because you get lots of homework, grow up. I most likely have more homework per class than you do in total (second year Math/CS university student) and I don't have any trouble finishing it all and still having plenty of free time. Many of our CS assignments take many people the better part of a day (if not more... I think the last one or two took a good portion of the class around 18-24 hours) and Math takes 3-5 hours if you finish it straight without any breaks. These are all weekly, and then we have midterms in one class or another every week or so.

Bad teachers are those that can't explain the material or can't explain it without boring you, not ones that actually make you put some effort into their course.

My maths teacher. We had a great one until he was replaced by a trainee (yes, at my
school they get not-yet-qualified teachers in for half of a year as their "final test"). He
can't explain anything. I only learn anything because I'm good enough at maths to work
out what he's trying to say by looking at his "examples", but most of class don't learn
anything -- I teach the person i sit next to more maths than the teacher does! At least
we're getting rid of him by the end of the half-term (2 weeks time).

My History teacher is amazing. He's so inappropriate it's untrue: "Harry, stop whipping
Peter with your kinky sex bondage" (it's a pencil case that can unzip into a long rope),
and he's always really harsh on this ginger kid (who deserves it because he's really
annoying, whistles constantly through the lessons etc). It's funny, yet I learn a lot. I
wish more teachers were more like him.

Level 3
My OLD science teacher :My favourite teacher. Sometimes, he gives us free periods and he explains everything in a very clear manner.

My NEW science teacher: Horrible. She speaks in a very weird manner(e.g.what we say as electric kettle she says as electric ketil, to her a yes is an es), she is so uncaring about how much work we get.She smells like poo mixed into a pile of barf. She never explains anything well. She usually just makes us read the textbook. When she is doing nothing at all, she sometimes just sits on her chair and tell a student to mind the class.

My computer teacher: Has the memory span of a goldfish, very partial ,will never care about his faults, instead, blaming it on us.

Level 16
My NEW science teacher: Horrible. She speaks in a very weird manner(e.g.what we say as electric kettle she says as electric ketil, to her a yes is an es), she is so uncaring about how much work we get.She smells like poo mixed into a pile of barf. She never explains anything well. She usually just makes us read the textbook. When she is doing nothing at all, she sometimes just sits on her chair and tell a student to mind the class.

My computer teacher: Has the memory span of a goldfish, very partial ,will never care about his faults, instead, blaming it on us.
Poor you.

Level 12
My math teacher has hit yet another low. My class found out friday that she hasn't acually made up any questions for our review, and acually takes them out of a guide book. to add to that, she let a student borrow that book thursday, and they were sick friday, so no book for her. That lead to an entire class argueing about what to do with a rather diffucult question and the teacher was having as much luck as we were solving it.

Level 30
You mean EoW? I guess you're talking to me?

Lol at your teacher, but is he "inappropriate" or just plain weird?

iow_kwaliti

He's fucking weird.
I'm the kind of person that just laughs at douchebags... Most of the times just to hurt their feelings. But when I see his face, I swear to *God*, something supernatural happens. I can't help laughing at him. :3
Edit: In that last part I was talking about my teacher, not iow.

Last edited:
Level 20
It's pretty much given that most high school math teachers suck and don't know what they're talking about, but that's okay because most high school math students suck regardless of their teachers' skills.

Also, about taking questions out of a book, I don't really see a problem with that. It's not as if a high school math problem has to be genuine or difficult or interesting. Most of them require the same procedure and actually need more mindless computation than actual thought.

iow_kwaliti

He's fucking weird.
I'm the kind of person that just laughs at douchebags... Most of the times just to hurt their feelings. But when I see his face, I swear to *God*, something supernatural happens. I can't help laughing at him. :3
Edit: In that last part I was talking about my teacher, not iow.

Devine, that's an L, not an I xD

Level 40
It's pretty much given that most high school math teachers suck and don't know what they're talking about, but that's okay because most high school math students suck regardless of their teachers' skills.

Also, about taking questions out of a book, I don't really see a problem with that. It's not as if a high school math problem has to be genuine or difficult or interesting. Most of them require the same procedure and actually need more mindless computation than actual thought.
But I'm special--my parents tell me so! It's my teacher's fault that I get Fs in math!

Level 19
I might actually like my geography teacher after all! In Norway the grade scaling is from 1-6. 1 being a fail, and 6 top grade. I am currently having a weak 4 in geography based on all the tests I had this year.

Then, all of a sudden today, my geography teacher told us that for those who wanted, we could take an optional test on three chapters next thursday in order to improve our grades. My first thought was: my weak 4 is never going to improve anyway, so why bother taking it. Then I asked him about it, and he said if I get a 6 on this test, I will get a 5 on my diploma, instead of a 4! And guess what? IT'S MULTIPLE CHOICE GOD DAMN IT!!!

Wish me a boring week, because I am not going to let this awesome opportunity pass. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.