1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Talents?!

Discussion in 'The Oakwood Forest' started by Sephalo, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Sephalo

Sephalo

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is something I worked on today. (just the looks)
    We might use it in the RPG but it's still unsure.
    It's a talent frame where players can select different talents. They will get 11 points to spend but can only select talents next to talents they already learned.
    Here are 2 screenshots of how it looks like. The second screenshot shows you 2 different ways of spending the talent points. (in red and yellow)
    The middle option (with the +) will be the first 'talent' for every class. This 'talent' wont have any effect but will be needed to go to other talents so basically every class has 10 talent points that are actually used for things.
    Every 'talent' will be like a passive ability while every corner talent (example: fan of knives icon) will be an active ability which means the hero can cast it.

Tell me what you think of it!

EDIT: Don't look at my serious fail at MarkSmanship spelling:p

Attached Files:

2. moosenoir

moosenoir

Resources:
    Resources:
    woah! This looks awesome! Hey, while your at it, make a vid of gryphonhold plx :D just showing you walking around on it in game :)

Ty
    ________
    Live sex

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  3. Thyrael

Thyrael

Resources:
    Resources:
    Looks nice, good job. The talentorder is kind of new thing :) In my rpg I'll stick to the wowlike tier version.

4. Sephalo

Sephalo

Resources:
    Resources:
    But can't make a video of that because 1) my wc3 doesn't work for some reason so I can only use World Editor and can't test maps. 2) The camera system doesn't work on the gryphonhold area yet since it's 'floating' and the camera system will move under the unit because of that (this will get solved soon ofc.)

5. Wolfe

Wolfe

Resources:
    Resources:
    One word: awesome!

It reminds me of WoW's talent trees. Is it certain that you will add talents?

6. M4stah

M4stah

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It would certainly help if you make clear to the player in what order the skills advance. Simply use arrows or so

7. Sephalo

Sephalo

Resources:
    Resources:
    It's 99% certain we will use these talents. Will be alot of work especially because you need a new destructible for every icon so will need more then 100 destructibles for all classes together but it's seriously worth the work.

I tried to explain the order in the second picture.
    You start in the middle with your first talent point. After that you can select one of the 4 options that are at the border of the first talent you already got. After that you can select one of the 3 others next to the middle OR select the icon next to the one you previously selected.
    If we would give numbers to the icons it would be easier to understand.

Code (vJASS):
    1    2    3    4    5
    6         7         8
    9    10   11   12   13
    14        15        16
    17   18   19   20   21

[​IMG]

You always start at point 11 as your first talent point (the + icon in the screenshots). After point 11 you can take point 7, 10, 12 or 15 because they are next to a talent point you already have. Let's say you got point 10 (the glowing one on the picture) then you're able to select point 9 after that OR just get something like 7, 12 or 15 because you still got the opportunity to select one of those.

Because of this system you are able to create your own 'talent route' when there aren't much restrictions.

8. M4stah

M4stah

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I see. Just remember to add clear instructions, i remeber how hard it is too play TKoK(Kingdom of kaliron) for the first time.

9. Sephalo

Sephalo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeah ofc.
    Eventually difficult systems and things will get in the game so a good documentation will be required aswel.

10. Handycombinder

Handycombinder

Resources:
    Resources:
    Maybe make a tutorial guy in the first town?

11. RaiN.

RaiN.

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ehm

Meet screenies...

Attached Files:

• gg.JPG
      gg.JPG
      File size:
      127.4 KB
      Views:
    • gg1.JPG
      gg1.JPG
      File size:
      128 KB
      Views:
  12. Handycombinder

Handycombinder

Resources:
    Resources:
    Looks nice :D

13. ClanOOKARep

ClanOOKARep

Resources:
    Resources:
    Very nice system, very original, 5/5 :]

14. shadow3

shadow3

Resources:
    Resources:
    Talents gives great opportunities for your heroes, as you're not stuck with "play this way, or you suck", but gives more opportunities to adapt your hero, and, both personal and class-specific, make the most of your strengths and the least of your weaknesses, so your hero suits you and your preferred playstyle.

15. Catch_ya

Catch_ya

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Ohh this looks beatiful i have always been fan of full screen inventories/talent trees etc... can you send me those borders ? i could need for my FSI that im working on...

16. zolga

zolga

Resources:
    Resources:
    ok now this is needed pls release it as soon as possible

17. Kingz

Kingz

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Nice, i am actualy developing my own inventory system which uses trackables as well a spellbook system which i will rellease for public to make making this kind of projects much easier ^^

Anyway really nice job, the icon's match perfectly.

[offtop]

You are using trackables right?

18. Ssilhouette

Ssilhouette

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is good enough. Realy nice.