• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Starcraft 2 editor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Would it be hard to learn sc2 editor since wc3 editor is extremely bad because even the simpliest and obvious abilities require huge amount of triggering? I looked at object editor in sc2 editor but couldnt understand anything, is the editor really hard to understand?

Level 3
SC2's editors are way harder than War3's. "More Powerful built in spell system" you can't base everything on that, you do spells, but what about the game system? For example AI, or multiboard, or any of those kinds, those are all-done by triggering, that's why, without triggering, it's very hard and *almost* impossible to do a decent map, and yes, decent.
Go learn GUI from it's first steps, Hive has hundreds of tutorials, and very easy to understand.

Level 7
I can do simple GUI triggers but if editor is so weak that even the most obvious spells that should be built in require hundreds of lines of triggers, wouldnt it be easier with more advanced editor like sc2 editor?

I dont need "multiboards", I just need heroes that have simple abilities and playable multiplayer map.

Level 3
I gave examples;), it's simple from your way of seeing, not in the way of coding, by the way, those basic WC3 spells, are done in the same way as we're doing GUI now, so they're NOT easy to be done, they've been made by blizzard and put in such an interface. Nothing is easy, it's coding.

Ok you said you have heroes that have simples abilities and playable multiplayer map.
Ok, first of the system is hero picking, and is also very hard and complex to be done. Another kind of system is Win/Loose. Not very hard, nor complex, but needs some knowledge. There are lots of system that a map needs. Those are just two examples, think about more, everything you wanna be in your map is triggered, every system, every thing.

Running at SC2 won't actually help you, since there is happening the same shit, you can't do everything with the object editor, you need the trigger editor for like 70-80% of the map creation. That's why we are trying to tell you to take a break for map mapping, learn Warcraft 3 basic triggering language, GUI. Everything will be easier for you, after you know basic of it.

Level 3
@Aeroblyctos: Yes you can, do spells, but you're restricted from big wishes + you can't do systems in object editor. Well, this is my point of seeing things, using object editor just to base things upon.

Level 25
Starcraft 2 Trigger editor is really awesome when you get the hang of it, I mean custom functions? Aw yeaaah.

That being said, making custom spells in Starcraft 2 is very time consuming and more complicated than Warcraft 3's trigger based spells, sure you could probably do the same thing in sc2, but that would be kinda faking it..

Level 11
If you can't handle the WC3 trigger editor you won't even be able to make simple spells like storm bolt in SC2. Actor events are a much bigger headache than triggers ever were.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Would it be hard to learn sc2 editor since wc3 editor is extremely bad because even the simpliest and obvious abilities require huge amount of triggering?
No not hard at all.

I looked at object editor in sc2 editor but couldnt understand anything, is the editor really hard to understand?
No, in fact it is really easy to understand as everything is extremely logical. Unlike WC3 where everything was special case, SC2 has everything as generic with very predictable behaviours.

Level 21
multiboards dont seem to be possible in starcraft 2 but is possible in warcraft 3 so you need warcraft 3 for multiboard stuff. trigger errors in starcraft 2 will prevent you from saving the map(even disabling the trigger doesnt help) while it wont in warcraft 3.(major issues will save the map with those trigger disabled.) custom build systems can be created in the warcraft 3 object editor.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
multiboards dont seem to be possible in starcraft 2 but is possible in warcraft 3 so you need warcraft 3 for multiboard stuff.
They are completely possible. They are called Dialog and are a lot more flexible. For example you can put drop down menus in them and scroll bars as well as things like buttons.

If you want a multiboard for scoring stuff then use a leaderboard, they are a lot more powerful in SC2 although last time I used them there were a few bugs (they work fine once you accommodate some off by 1 errors).

trigger errors in starcraft 2 will prevent you from saving the map(even disabling the trigger doesnt help) while it wont in warcraft 3.
Only affects people who are using custom script. Unlike WC3 which needed it for virtually everything, you seldom need to use custom script and most maps can get away with 100% GUI. In fact, the GUI compiles very well compared to WC3 and can use locals and things, a feature not possible in normal WC3 GUI outside of custom script.

custom build systems can be created in the warcraft 3 object editor.
So can they in SC2 data editor or triggers. Just the implementation will be totally different and might be simpler/more complex depending on the requirements.

Level 12
SC2's Editor just takes some time to figure a few simple things out.

But once you figure these things out, the learning curve is almost the same.

Graphics are a lot more complicated, but once you know what your doing it's really just a long and boring task of making events for animations in the Actor.

As for Abilities, their reasonably simple to understand; but hard to learn at first. But they are infinitely more flexible then abilities in WarCraft III.

Level 15
I came from SC2 editor to WC3, and I'll say that the SC2 data editor is far more powerful than WC3. But definitely a higher learning curve using the SC2 data editor, since unlike vanilla WC3 object editor, you need to deal with actors. But the possibilities with non-triggered spells are so many, because it's not limited like wc3, where the spells are all hardcoded in.

I think there are some silly limitations though, like you can't change terrain textures during gameplay, which you can in WC3. At least this was the case when I was on sc2mapster years ago.

SC2 Editor
'Object Editor' is really more powerful, if you can handle it well.. you can make there a lot of really hard and cool spells without any trigger. Which just is impossible in WC3.

Doesn't allow memory leaks in GUI.

Very mighty wait function, it works like timers in WC3 do without issues, and you even just can use waits in loops there, without bugs.

Not easy to understand and to learn for beginners.. even most WE users would need some time to come in with new stuff, especially with object editor.
WE
Very noob friendly, and an easy to learn GUI.

GUI is less powerful, has a bunch of bad function calls, a bad wait-function, and also doesnt clean memory leaks by it's own.

Object editor is very simple and easy to manipulate, but you by far can't do so many things as in SC2.

I somehow prefer the terrain here, maybe I just don't like the SC2 tilles.. they don't seem so smooth.
I'm sure I forgot some things, but I wanna end it up here :csmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.