• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Star Empires: A new project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orc

Orc

Level 4
I'm proud to announce that I am starting my first project on Hive.

To those of you who don't know, I'm currently in the makings of a space-y empire kind of game, which I have decided to call Star Empires. It is not finished yet, not even enough for a Beta test, so that’s why there is no map attachment, except for some Alpha screenshots for the grammatically-impaired.

[Objectives (Only one needs to be completed)]

-Destruction: Destroy all enemy civilizations. This does not mean every civilization for themselves; you can have allies and still win.

-Research: In addition to the normal tech-tree of upgrades, there will be another tech-tree that all leads up to a final tech that will mean certain victory for the researcher, however, there are no allies allowed in this condition. (This can be disabled in game if the players chose to.)

-Domination: When you have more than half of the map under your control, then a counter will begin leading to your victory. (This can be disabled in game if the players chose to.)

Whether or not there will be more objectives is uncertain at this time.

[Unit Overview]

-Interceptor: Fighter. Can attack all unit types, but has a preference for space units.

-Fragmentor (I don’t care if this word isn’t real.): Fighter-Bomber. Can attack all unit types, but has a preference for stationary targets.

---Units below this line CANNOT attack ground units (for good reason).---

-Light Cruiser (LC): Fastest cruiser in both movement and attack, but suffers from weak health and attack power.

-Cruiser: Middle cruiser, but has the most energy (mana) than LCs and BCs, mostly for it’s unique Ion Cannon ability.

-Battle Cruiser (BC): Strongest but slowest cruiser in all respects.
Battleship: One of the overall strongest mobile units in the game, but also has a high cost.

-Command Ship: Practically a mobile death ship, however it is limited to one per race due to size and cost.

-Shuttle: Transport unit. When in flight, it can attack and unload units. When landed, can load/unload units and call out reinforcements, for a price.

-Freighter: Builder unit. Constructs are space buildings.

[Structure Overview]

-Territory: A place of strategic importance. All ground buildings are build here.

-Defense Station: Troop production facility. Can attack all unit types.

-Mining Station: Generates Materials (lumber) every second.

-City: Generates Currency (gold) every second. Can build Freighters.

-Command Station: Center of your government. Without this, you cannot generate Currency or Materials, or be allowed to win. (I’m not even joking. You should be able to keep your home base safe and if it does get destroyed, then you’re screwed anyway.)

-Research Station: Contains upgrades for your civilization.

-Space Dock: Space-ship production facility. Builds the small to medium class ships and Shuttles.

-Space Station*: Space fortress. Builds large ships and Shuttles.

-Doom Sphere* (a.k.a. Death Star): You should have a good idea of what this does. Building capable of planetary destruction. Can move, extremely slow.

-IPBML: Interplanetary Ballistic Missile Launcher. Weapon platform capable of decimating entire planets, or very large structures*.

[Ability Overview]

-FTL Jump: To save words, Warp drive. Calculates the distance between the caster and point of casting to determine the amount of energy lost.

-Shield: To save words, uses energy like extra health.

-Ion Cannons: Cruiser exclusive. Fires 3 large beams of ionic energy at a target area dealing 300 damage to all units in the area, shield applies.

(That’s all I got for now.)

[Planet Overview]

-Terran: Earth-like planets. Due to Terran planets being the most populated planets, infantry is trained in pairs; for every Trooper or Heavy Trooper trained, a duplicate is trained instantly for free. Also, when a Terran building is attacked, militia infantry is spawned.

-Desert: A planet devoid of abundant life. Provides a Currency generation bonus due to shiny things found underground.

-Volcanic: A planet whose geology is in a state of severe fluctuation. Provides a Material generation bonus due the amount of free heated metals.

-Tundra: A frozen planet covered by snow and ice. Due to the severe cold that helps computers to run faster (and that it’s the only bonus for Tundra I could think of), the research rate is increased for every Research Station.

-Forest: I am unsure of what benefits this planet can have. Perhaps extra territories? Or something like due to the healthy environment, all infantry units are stronger or something?

The planets are size 8 circles with the terrain modified to the characteristics of one of the planet types.

[Future Plans]

-Nebulae: I’m planning to have nebulae scattered around the map of varying types. Some would be useless, some would have benefits for your empire, and some are harmful to ships and even planets.

-Items: In my map, there will be items that will be useful to your empire. Items could vary from resources to powerful weapons and anything in between. However, only the infantry will have inventories so only they can pick up (but not use) these items.

-A fourth victory condition: Perhaps it could be something along the lines of influence; your cities could generate some kind of points and the sum of all your cities’ points determines how influential your civilization is, however, not all cities generate the same amount and the amount generated could vary depending on something like Morale or Approval or something. Although, if you have any suggestions on what a different fourth or even a whole new victory condition should be, then feel free to elaborate.

---------------------------------------

That’s my progress so far. Share your opinions on what you see above or below in the screenshots. Make suggestions on additions or changes that would be beneficial for my map. If you would like, I could send you a PM when a beta of my map is ready.

[Progress Update - 11:38 06-17-08]

Terrain: I have increased the size of the map from 256x256 to 480x480 to increase the "galactic" sense. It will also reinforce the tactics of 'using FTL Jump vs. Shield protection'. Obviously, the terrain progress percent has been moved from 100% to about ~30% since I still have to add more planets.

Units: The stats of the units and buildings have been made. All that is needed now is a field test for this segment.

Triggers: Not much progress here. I'm still working on the map part, although I have gotten the more core aspects of the game down.

Overall Status Report: If I had to guess, I'd say I'm almost out of the Alpha stage. Beta is coming up fast, so if you're interested in testing a beta of my map, stay tuned.

[Progress Update - 20:10 06-21-08]

Terrain: Well, this is going nowhere fast. I've made alot of progress, but there is still so much to go. If it wasn't for this map being pants-on-head retardly huge, the game itself would be Beta.

Units: No progress here because no tests have been made meaning no changes can be made, ergo, no progress.

Triggers: No progress here either. Damn I'm really getting behind.

Overall Status Report: I'm still in Alpha. This is unlikely to change for the next few days. Well, time to get back to mapping. BTW, the map size is 480x480 and I currently have 80 planets, and no units. The placing of territories will be easy and done in maybe an hour after the terrain is done.

[Progress Update - 9:40 06-22-08]

Terrain: 5 Planets added. Nothing special.

Units: No progress.

Triggers: No progress.

Overall Status Report: It is Alpha and staying Alpha for a while. I've decided to help Alakon with his RPG project before I work more on this project. This does not mean the project is over; just on hold for the moment.

[Progress Update - 11:33 06-23-08]

Terrain: No progress.

Units: No progress.

Triggers: Some more triggers have been added. Just enough to allow what I'm about to say.

Overall Status Report: I would like to announce that this game is ready for a Beta test. I kinda rushed last night to get this done so I could post it today. Enjoy!

[Progress Update - 12:10 06-23-08]

Bug: You guys don't mind having practically free units :xxd:? I kinda forgot to put in unit costs, or build times higher than 1 second :smile:. I know the first bug I have to fix.

Hey, this lets you test the map even better, since you won't be hindered by resources or time :wink:.

[Credits]

Terrain, Units, Sounds, and Triggers: Orc

Models: olofmoleman, Illidan(Evil)X, SuPa-, WILLTHEALMIGHTY, Kofi_Banan, killst4r, Callahan, Elunes-Guardian, martinisj, RightField, Mc !, Burning_Dragoons, CrazyOPOSSUM, syc, Ket, armel, Evil_BuddhA, Cavman, Trollschnitzel, !!GORO!!, and Chriz. Jesus that's allot of people!

More credits pending.

EDIT: Here are some screenshots. I finally figured out how to do it. Please excuse the large size, as I'm not good at picture editing.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Attachments

• Star Empires.w3x
    3.9 MB · Views: 129
Last edited:

Orc

Orc

Level 4
Almost. Beta seems to be getting closer and closer. Although, the one thing that is keeping me at bay is the terrain.

I've downloaded JassNewGen to get bigger map sizes, like 480x480, and to get more advanced actions and such. It’s taking a while to fill up the map.

Some people on Hive say that having with 480x480 causes malfunctions but I haven't encountered any problems with the map size.

Level 3
It looks promising. You forgot to name one of the ships in the picture. It is located above Command Station. Hopefully this wont become another mass type game and take actual strategy to win.

Orc

Orc

Level 4
You can mass in this game, but I have a trick up my sleeve: it hasn't been made yet, but there will be things like crew payment and loyalty. The more ships, the more payment. However the payment rate will be modifiable. Too little of a rate, and your ships rebel (to the other side if in a war and they pay more).

Also, you will need more than battleships and stuff. Remember, only the little ships can attack ground units and buildings. Only infantry can capture territory or buildings, or transport items.

Don't forget there are other ways to victory other than conquest, although I don't expect many to take them.

Level 3
Looks great! This is the kind of map I like!
For a (somewhat stolen) idea, try using items on your ships in the same way you would in battle tanks-to provide additional auto fire weapons. A light cruiser could carry one or two while a command ship could carry six...

Orc

Orc

Level 4
I wasn't really planning on auto fire weapons. If anything, it would be the barrage ability but modified to fit the map and ships.

Orc

Orc

Level 4
Alright, I can switch it. I haven't made either ability yet so it can still be put in.

I have an idea of how to do this:
All the ships larger than fighters would have inventories of different sizes.
When a ship is trained it is given undroppable items that have Phoenix Fire.

Another thing; should I remove the larger ships' main attack (the one you have to order the unit to do)?

Level 3
I have an idea of how to do this:
All the ships larger than fighters would have inventories of different sizes.
When a ship is trained it is given undroppable items that have Phoenix Fire.

You should make them removable + replaceable, thus allowing better weapons to be fitted.

You could also include neutral merchant ships that wander.

Orc

Orc

Level 4
I guess I could do the first suggestion, but the second is doubtful.
What I mean by that is, if I were to include the second suggestion, it would only be done after a Beta test.

----------------------------

EDIT: This project is going on hold, or at least at a very slow progression.
I'm helping Alakon with his RPG project full-time, then I'll be getting back to my project.

Last edited:

Orc

Orc

Level 4
Actually, that is exactly what I did for the auto turrets.
I'll make an update to my progress section about the items.

I guess this project isn't halted yet :grin:.

Orc

Orc

Level 4
I did post a Beta of the map under the last picture :smile:.

Although, I forgot to put in unit costs or build times higher than 1 second :grin:.

Just think of it as a way to fully test the game without the limits of resources or time.

Orc

Orc

Level 4
Broke your Warcraft 3? Do you mean you crashed?

(EDIT: Ohh crap. I forgot. You need JNG.

---ATTENTION---
You need JassNewGen pack in order to play this map!) = Don't mind this.

Last edited:

Orc

Orc

Level 4
Well, the map was made in JNG, but I didn't think it would need it to play.

Guess it does.

I'll try to convert the map back to normal WE, but the size of the map will be 256x256.

EDIT: Wait a minute. Demonsul, did it crash the instant the game loaded or some time after that? I just tried it on normal TFT and it loaded fine.

Level 3
AT CRASH POINT:
I had managed to take 3 of the player planets, but had blasted one of them with a nuke.
I had a huge number of cities.
I had a command ship, a battleship, three cruisers, and 4 of each fighter.

Level 3
This looks like a great map!
few suggestions however:

1. can you give FTL jump a longer range? Right now it is completely useless on little ships as it moves them about 1/2 of a screen width for all of their energy I can't think of many situatons where I would use that rather than mantian sheild strength. Really like the system for it though.

2. As for another victory condition maybe you could have a scattering of a few planets around the map that would have neutral defences in the begining and when captured could provide ancient technollogy (or some other benifit I don't really know) to who ever holds them. If A player hold enough of these key worlds for a long enough time they win. I think this would encourage some more ambitous expansion deep into enemy teritory, that could be fun.

Orc

Orc

Level 4
I'll duplicate that scenario and see if I crash. Other than that, I'm not sure what to do. Try dl'ing the JNG and see if that helps; I'm not sure if it will or not.

-------------

1. Here's what I'll do: I'll make it possible for larger ships to transport small ships only so they can be taken along for the ride. I never intended for small ships to traverse the galaxy alone, or at least at FTL speeds.

2. I'm in the process of making 'ancient alien artifacts' for the infantry to pick up, bring to a Research station for examination, and then it would do whatever the description says.

-------------

EDIT: Demonsul, I just duplicated that exact scenario and nothing happened; no lag, no crash, nothing. Try downloading the JNG to see if it will help, but I just played the map on normal TFT and it worked fine.

-------------

EDIT: Perhaps what I should do for Interceptors and Fragmentors is to make them units that the other ships spawn with a locust-like ability.

Last edited:
Level 3
I was doing some testing and have a few questions:

1. How do you capture lava planets? I was trying to occupy one but couldn't.

2. Are buildings that burn to death from radiation supost to not revert to teritory?

3.Can you add a method of decommisioning ships as you somrtimes want to free up supply?

4. Why do freighters have FTL and shields they have no mana?

Orc

Orc

Level 4
1. Simple, I didn't put down territories on every planet yet. This map is far from done.

2. The building death was a glitch that I didn't test for at the time of release; I've already fixed that problem.

3. Yeah, I'll get to that shortly.

4. When I originally made the Freighter, I didn't have the FTL and shields yet, so it just slipped my mind; I'll get that fixed up quickly.

Orc

Orc

Level 4
Thank you.

I should be able to get those updates and maybe a few others in at some point today.

--------------

EDIT: I've uploaded the improved version of my map; feel free to take note of any problems and post them here so I know what to fix.

Last edited:

Orc

Orc

Level 4
I'm not totally sure myself if I can still host. My account is dead; going to make a new one today, probably host some time after 7 or 8 Central time. I'll post specifics of when I'll host later.

EDIT: I think the test will be pushed back to tomorrow; a specific time won't be possible until then.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.