• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Space Empire map concept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orc

Orc

Level 4
First off, I am not naming my map "Space Empire." That is just what I call any space-y game with controllable empires.

Here I have written down an outline of what I plan to have in my map. Nothing here has been worked on so all is subject to change.

[Game Objectives – Only one needs to be completed for victory.]
-All enemy empires destroyed.
^You can have allies and still win.
-Research <some glorious end-all-be-all technology>.

[Ship Overview]
Interceptor – Fighter. Can only attack other space units.
Fragmentor (I don't care if it's not a real word.) – Bomber. Bonus damage against ground units of space/ground structures.
--No units under this line attack ground units or ground structures--
Light Cruiser –Weakest but fastest frigate.
Cruiser – Middle frigate. Has the most energy of all frigates (for some weapon? :con:).
Battle Cruiser – Slowest but strongest frigate, excusing the energy.
Battleship – Very slow yet very powerful.
Command Ship – Can take on 4 Battleships and win :grin:. Can be your 2nd/replacement center of government
Shuttle – Transport. Can attack and drop off units only.

[Ground Unit Overview]
Trooper – Cheap and quick to train.
Heavy Trooper – Stronger than a trooper, obviously.
Battlesuit – A melee armored infantry that can combat small ships. Cannot be transported.
Assault Walker – Most powerful ground unit. Good for attacking buildings.
Transport (Landed). Transport. Can train troops and load/unload troops.

[Building Overview]
Command Station – The center of your government, period. Builds Freighters and Shuttles.
City – Generates Currency (gold).
Mining Station – Generates Materials (lumber).
Defense Station – Trains all ground units. Has an attack.
IPBML – Interplanetary Ballistic Missile Launcher. Can only affect planets or very large objects*.
Territory – Self-explanatory. Basic spot to build structures.

[Space Structure Overview]
Space Dock – Builds all small and frigate ships. Shuttles too.
Space Station* –A potential 2nd/replacement center of government. Builds Battleships and Command Ships. Shuttles too.
Doom Sphere* (a.k.a. Death Star :wink:) - Destroys planets. 'Nuff said.

So, please share any suggestions on additions or changes. Comments that are constructive are welcome.

(I just realized that in my map I have two doom weapons: IPBML and Doom Sphere. Muhahahahaha :gg:.)

Level 24
I think that PurplePoot and someone else (HindyHAT?) are already making one of these (or they will be soon) You will have a hard time competing with them. still it could be quite the map with enough work.

The game should have a built in accel/deccel system to add to tactics. Also many ships should have limited feul.

Level 3
I never was a fan of future based maps. Maybe this will be the one to change my negativity towards them.

If the map takes place in space how will ground units be worked in?

Level 7
You have 3/4 the map space and then 1/4 the map ground (planets)
Planets will be little sectors in the 1/4 ground space where you build buildings for your planets or tank-ship factorys to increase production like my map was before it got wiped along with my custom models i worked on for days ><.

Orc

Orc

Level 4
Actually, what I planned on was putting a size 8 circle patch of ground randomly around the map that is mostly Outland Abyss. I would then alter the textures I originally put down, but never exceeding the size 8 circle area; think of a Abyss-dominated map with spots the size 8 circles with varied textures ranging from a Earth-like planet to a desert planet; a snowy planet to a volcanic planet. I have downloaded special editor tools just for this map.

Here's how the infantry part works out: No space ships except the Interceptor and Fragmentor can even attack ground units or ground structures so infantry at least have a slim chance (mostly to make the small craft feel useful). The ground units can attack space units (if within there small range), but will only really matter against other ground units and small ships.

Also, the infantry are the only units that have inventories and I plan to place all kinds of weird alien artifact things that can become extremely beneficial if used.

@ hawk900 - On the subject of tactics: All ships will be equipped with a 'Light Drive' that calculates the distance between the point of casting and the point of the caster. If the ship has sufficient energy, then it will make the jump, otherwise it will error and say it cannot be done. All ships will also be equipped with a 'Shield', which consumes energy like the 'Light Drive'. So it leaves the person with the choice: protection or speed? I plan to make all ships move naturally slower than what may be comfortable to fans of Star Wars to make the question all the more important.

ufo

ufo

Level 2
Make it so that planets can only be actually conquered by infantry, otherwise they don't really have a use, the soldiers.

Orc

Orc

Level 4
@ ufo: that is exactly how I plan for the ground units to work. Oh sure, you could have a huge space legion of battleships and such, but don't expect to be conquering a lot of planets that way. Plus, the infantry are the only units with inventories and I plan to have powerful artifact items that only infantry can bring back to base.

All of the planets will have little circles of power, named Territory, where you build all ground structures. Only ground units and the smallest ships (Fragmentors and Interceptors) can even attack things on the ground. The small ships are not very good at ‘ground control’ and are planned to just go in, attack, and leave but the ground forces are required for absolute domination of the planet.

@ hawk900: ‘Light Drive’ is just a working title. Don’t worry; I don’t plan to name it that once I get around to programming it. I would love to call it something more creative like 'FTL Drive' or something.

Orc

Orc

Level 4
That's all folks!

Thanks everybody for your imput. It's been good chatting with you.

Well, if nobody has anymore comments, I think I should start working on my map. If you wish to participate in any map tests, please notify me so I can alert you to any future tests.

Have a good day!

Level 4
ammmm...

its grat idea but go to google and search Ogame and you will see
intresting thing its great system for WC3 but its dificul to create so if you
want you can see...on there site you got intro so read it....:con:

Orc

Orc

Level 4
Two things:

1. The projecy has already started (Star Empires: A new project), but I can still make changes.

2. I think what I have, or what will be put in, will be close to OGame, as well as other space games. Although, I don't plan on recreating every aspect of a single game in the map.

Status
Not open for further replies.