• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warhammer 40K Solar Warfare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I have been inspired by the likes of Solar Conquest and Space Command to make my own space map! But, mine will be set in the Warhammer 40'000 universe.

The idea is that you start the game and choose one of the six factions: Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Necrons, Chaos Space Marines, Dark Eldar or Orks.

Then you start wiht a fleet of ships in a random place in one of the 4 sectors. the sectors are separated from each other by a wall of pathng and sight blockers, simulating the fact that they are pretty far apart.

The only way to get from one sector to the other is by giving one of your ships a Warp Generator (ill explain later), entering the Warp, (a dimension inhabited by hostile daemons) and going through one of the four warp gates inside the Warp, each one leading to a random place within their respective sectors.

The Daemons in the warp are invulnerable (since they are pure energy inside the warp and cannot be hurt) So it is best to leave the warp quickly. They also have very small sight, so unless you run into them they wont see you. As soon as a Daemon leaves the warp it is instantly sent back in, so they wont escape.

You cannot build ships and gain more only occasionally, so strategy and conservation is vital (but ships are very powerful, so you should be fine).

Ships are given abilities and increased capabilities by giving them items known as modules. Modules are bought for free from a Shipyard that you start with (unique to each race) and can move.

Most planets are unenterable and can be taken over by using the Invade ability that some higher-level ships have. Invade has quite a long cooldown and it takes a few minutes to work on a planet.

However, there are multiple planets that must be taken over the hard way.

If you do the Invade ability on an enterable planet then a battle on the planets surface will commence. The camera will go to the planet's area (space on the map separate from the rest representing the planer) and a base for your faction will appear.

This base will spawn units that automatically go to the opposite side of the area, where the defender's base is. The defender will also spawn units to try and kill the invader's base. The defender can upgrade his planet to include turrets and extra troops.

The more powerful the ship you Invade a planert with, the easier it is to take a planet. If you Invade a planet with your Flagship (a hero with abilities) then you get a Commander who can help your troops and call airstrikes etc.

Those are the basics, if anyone has any suggestions or feedback, i would appreciate that greatly.

This seems too unconventional for Wc3. Fingolfin tried to do something like this in the Halo Universe, but he ultimately quit. I dunno if you can accomplish it, but it will be A LOT of work designing the areas and abilities. I think it is best to try to make an RTS like Dawn of War. I tried once, but I gave up because my triggering skills back then was below shit.
Anyways, I wish you good luck. I'll let you know that there is a Russian site called XGM, filled with hundreds of 40K models(I dunno if they're exports or not). You can check them out with Google Translate.

Level 5
The Warp thing sounds interesting - Just a few problems with it from a canon point of view - Necrons don't use the warp, and Eldar use the Webway so perhaps a different method of travel for them with a negative like... Weaker ships or increased vulnerabilites or some such.

Level 6
thank you for your words of encouragement. They mean a lot to me. :ogre_haosis:

Dont worry mun'ki, warp is only accessable through items called Warp Generators that you give your ships. And, necrons and dark eldar dont have access to them, instead necrons use a delayed teleportation thing (representing them hyperdriving) and the DE can come and go from this separate little Commorragh thing they have. Havent figured out the dynamics of that yet, but im working on it. :thumbs_up:

I wouldn't say this concept is impossible, although pretty hard. My own project was of a somewhat larger scope, and included advanced things such as arrow key movement, 3rd person camera, custom projectile system, etc - which were a bit too advanced for wc3 since the arrow movement in particular causes great lag on b-net, and the custom projectile system was not only over my capabilities, but also a bit of a resource hog.
You can find screenshots for the project here.

Solar conquest is an open source map, so open it in the editor and look at the triggers. Start making the most simple elements of the map, like the ships, planet invasions, and the warp function - and don't throw in new ideas you might come up with until you are finished with this.

I like the idea of having an AoS as the invasion phase (even though i'm not a particular fan of AoS), it is very creative. Just make sure they cannot drag on for too long and make sure that the players ships cannot be destroyed while invading (make them go into reinforced mode or something).

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.