• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

World of Warhammer 40k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
I would like to create a strategy game based upon Game Workshop's Warhammer 40,000 miniatures. There will be roughly 4 team consisting of..
Team 1: Space marines, Imperial Guard, and Witch/daemon hunters, Eldar
Team 2: Ork clans 1&2
Team 3: Necrons
Team 4: Chaos space marines 1&2
Team 5: Dark Eldar
Team 6: Tau

Alliances: All alliances are permanent save for Eldar or Space Marines becoming Dark Eldar and chaos space marines respectively, this will give them a minor power boost, but the loss of their base and all current resources. Note: Eldar do not share vision with their allies and vice versa.

Resources: This game will consist of 2 resources; Acquisition and Power, Acquisition is gained periodically based on control points owned and power is gained periodically based on your amount of generators constructed.

I am roughly 80% done the units save for the Tau models i am currently in need of.

Faction Summary:

Necrons: The power of their units are roughly equal to space marines save for the fact that they have an ability similiar to reincarnation allowing them to come back with 50% health(30 second cooldown). C'tan are extremely powerful heroes although they can only have 1(chosen through a dialog at the beginning).

Tau: Low health, Long range, Medium Damage, Ranged base save for Kroot Carnivores.

Imperial Guard: They posses the most powerful tanks in the game but their infantry are primarily ranged based and are better used as cannon fodder. Temple Assassins have permanent invisibility and are adept at kill key units/heroes.

Orks: They are nearly 100% melee based, and only have 1 ranged units, they have the control of the weakest, but cheapest units in the game(Gretchins) although they are better used to destroy mines(by means of cunning or their own lives).

Space Marines: The core of Team 1's armies should be made of these, equally adept at both ranged and melee with the second most powerful tanks in the game, their inspiring presence gives hope to all those near(<pending> aura).

Eldar: Their far seers contain powerful abilities, they are a good balance of melee and ranged and are well stealthy hit and run tactics.

Dark Eldar: Similar to Eldar save for their slightly strengthened units(chaos damage) and small unit replacements.

Chaos Space Marines: Similar to space marines but lose the Inspiring presence and have powerful close combat centered daemonic units.

Other:
Space marines are able to choose their chapter(each chapter has a different insignia, uniform, and bonuses).

Space Wolves: +10 melee damage
Dark Angels: Artifacts are 20% cheaper
Ultramarines: +1 armour, +3 damage, +5% attack speed
Blood Angels: healed 10hp after every kill
Imperial Fists: Bonus Artifact "Adamant Fist"
Raven Guard: +10% attack speed
Black Templars: +40 movement speed

Space Marines or Eldar can become corrupted and join Chaos Space marines and Dark Eldar respectively by typing -corrupt.

Chaos Space marines can peform special sacrifices and rituals to summon greater daemons,(currently only have the bloodthirster and great unclean one) limited to 1 per player.

Orks can gain control of other ork clans by killing their leader or banner(normally controlled by neutral hostile) to bolster their forces.

There is a powerful weapon known as a titan hidden in a random place in the map,(generated randomly every game) can be captured to potentially destroy
10 units(heroes and buildings using its powerful weapons). Has no attack, instead its weapon is used as an ability with an extremely high cool down.

More to be revealed soon!!!

Last edited:
Level 1
Sounds intresting but I doupt the godly emperor of man would want help from the eldar but I think they could be their own team

Level 17
Sounds intresting but I doupt the godly emperor of man would want help from the eldar but I think they could be their own team
I considered it but do to the limit of 6 forces i was forced to, perhaps i should put them into the same force and then make them treat each other as enemies with no vision?

hmmz Will there be custom models matching these races?
Yeah.

*Added Space marine chapters*

Level 1
well it would be wise to have them on the dark eldars team but not make them allies in that force so they wont have to be allied with anyone but just a suggestion good luck too ya

Level 6
Well Eldar do that what they think will be the best for them. Also they will do as their Seer told them to.
Also team 1 is then:

1. Space Marine, Imperial Guard, Sorotia and Grey Knights you could also add the Special Force Death Watch.

Just to clarify the names which is important for me as Wh40k player :p

Also how can you forget the Black Templar for the Space Marines? They even have their own Codex. I say replace Ultras with Black Templar and make a choice "no chapter" then you get the Ultra Space Marines.

And will you add specific Ork Clanz?
Can Eldar choose their "Chapter"
Can Chaos choose a god?
Will Tau have the Flying Kroot Units they have now in the Tabletop?
Will there be Terrain Modifier?
Does Imperium get Forgeworld Stuff like Baneblade?

Yeah i think that was what i wanted to ask.

Level 17
Also how can you forget the Black Templar for the Space Marines? They even have their own Codex. I say replace Ultras with Black Templar and make a choice "no chapter" then you get the Ultra Space Marines. Yes, How could i forget the Black Templars, I'm not sure on making ultramarines the default, do to the fact that no player will choose to have no bonuses.

And will you add specific Ork Clanz?
of course

Can Eldar choose their "Chapter" perhaps, not 100% sure yet.
Can Chaos choose a god? Yes, It will also limit them to what greater daemon they are allowed(khorne will get the bloodthirster and son on).

Will Tau have the Flying Kroot Units they have now in the Tabletop? Yes.

Will there be Terrain Modifier? Yes.

Does Imperium get Forgeworld Stuff like Baneblade? Yes.

Level 6
Well also space marine chapters got disadvantages... (Black Templars dont have Psi units as example) and Ultra Marines can choose of all units and also have the greatest choose of "Heros" like Calgar and Tigerius.
Also you could make the units of them cheaper.

Also i realy would like to see Tyranids but Tau and Necrons are fine too.

Level 6
I dont know what to say, but i think the best idea would be: DOW is crap compared to the Tabletop.
Ok we got some nice models physic engine and other shiny things. But the hell in this game Marines run away because low morale with a captain near them.
And the captain makes them immun to morale.
Also there are so many units missing and so many options, there arnt even chapters that give boni. But eh you cant expect something from a company that only want to make money, and not statisfy their customer, damn you GW! DAMN YOU!!!^^

Level 4
jirinal, have you even played dark crusade? there is a tabletop mod, there's mods for pretty much everything. how is this gauranteed to be better? we already have a WH40KTD. this'll probably be good, on the wc3 new races scale

Mechanical Man, where is the ww1 tank in dark crusade? never seen it

Level 6
I played around 10 mods for this game, and played all other parts. And noone was that good.
As a 6year long experienced tabletopler i dont think good of people when they say hey instead of the real tabletop take the ideas from a spinoff game instead from the original.
That just sounds wrong.

Also Elenai is right, the Imperial Forces are based on the WWI and WWII history, and have different folks. Like Russian and German (Deathcorp).
Also the Imperator the god of the space marines, is Santa Claus. When you look at the History of both.

Dont think of me as to harsh, but you shouldnt take this game as reference when creating a game based on the tabletop.

Level 6
When you are used to play Pen and Paper you realy dont need explosions and other flashy things. Its a great thing to see the enemy loosing units in a round.
Or surviving under the enemy fire. The dices bring the action into the game ;)
Also the expression of a player when you shoot their tank with an almost impossible move and it will explode.

Also my 4 friends and me already got atleast 4 armys with over 10.000 points, since we started collecting 6 years ago where a Leman Russ was only 10Bucks :p

But you are right now the prices are ridicoulous.
And i think it would be better to wait for SC2 with this mod, because the Physik Engine, i also think killed units in Sc2 will fly into the air and everything.

Level 17
In my opinion, we all should start to make more detailed models and skins related to wh40k for starcraft 2. Probably when it would come out we will finished to make meshes and skins. :wink: The problem would be animations as they will probably have they own format :bored:

I recommend not making any Starcraft 2 models or skins for WH40k, instead i recommend building a large ammount for wc3 because when Starcraft 2 comes out, I'm porting this map over.

Level 25
Sounds interesting. I haven't really bothered reading all of the posts, but I'm going to guess that this will be a Single-Player map or Campaign. If you plan on making it compatible for BNet, don't count on it. Battle Net's filesize limit of maps is 4MB and not one KB higher!

This project sounds interesting and once it gets a good team assembled, I will probably look forward to this... after some screenshots are released of course! WE NEED EYE-CANDY!
~Craka_J

Level 12
It sounds cool, but for futuristic projects, Id only start them if a large portion of models are already available.
There have been many many 40k mods come and go over the years, so id recommend for something like this best to save it for Sc2.

Getting together a full team of modellers is near impossible, unless ure really lucky.

Level 4
yeah, lets take our info from the tabletop, which is designed to play on a TABLETOP(!) dark crusade is designed to work as a rts.

i apologize for flaming. sorry. that was stupid.
ignore the "just play dow:dc" stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.