1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

World of Warhammer 40k

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by busterkomo, Jul 25, 2007.

1. busterkomo

busterkomo

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I would like to create a strategy game based upon Game Workshop's Warhammer 40,000 miniatures. There will be roughly 4 team consisting of..
    Team 1: Space marines, Imperial Guard, and Witch/daemon hunters, Eldar
    Team 2: Ork clans 1&2
    Team 3: Necrons
    Team 4: Chaos space marines 1&2
    Team 5: Dark Eldar
    Team 6: Tau

Alliances: All alliances are permanent save for Eldar or Space Marines becoming Dark Eldar and chaos space marines respectively, this will give them a minor power boost, but the loss of their base and all current resources. Note: Eldar do not share vision with their allies and vice versa.

Resources: This game will consist of 2 resources; Acquisition and Power, Acquisition is gained periodically based on control points owned and power is gained periodically based on your amount of generators constructed.

I am roughly 80% done the units save for the Tau models i am currently in need of.

Faction Summary:

Necrons: The power of their units are roughly equal to space marines save for the fact that they have an ability similiar to reincarnation allowing them to come back with 50% health(30 second cooldown). C'tan are extremely powerful heroes although they can only have 1(chosen through a dialog at the beginning).

Tau: Low health, Long range, Medium Damage, Ranged base save for Kroot Carnivores.

Imperial Guard: They posses the most powerful tanks in the game but their infantry are primarily ranged based and are better used as cannon fodder. Temple Assassins have permanent invisibility and are adept at kill key units/heroes.

Orks: They are nearly 100% melee based, and only have 1 ranged units, they have the control of the weakest, but cheapest units in the game(Gretchins) although they are better used to destroy mines(by means of cunning or their own lives).

Space Marines: The core of Team 1's armies should be made of these, equally adept at both ranged and melee with the second most powerful tanks in the game, their inspiring presence gives hope to all those near(<pending> aura).

Eldar: Their far seers contain powerful abilities, they are a good balance of melee and ranged and are well stealthy hit and run tactics.

Dark Eldar: Similar to Eldar save for their slightly strengthened units(chaos damage) and small unit replacements.

Chaos Space Marines: Similar to space marines but lose the Inspiring presence and have powerful close combat centered daemonic units.

Other:
    Space marines are able to choose their chapter(each chapter has a different insignia, uniform, and bonuses).

Space Wolves: +10 melee damage
    Dark Angels: Artifacts are 20% cheaper
    Ultramarines: +1 armour, +3 damage, +5% attack speed
    Blood Angels: healed 10hp after every kill
    Imperial Fists: Bonus Artifact "Adamant Fist"
    Raven Guard: +10% attack speed
    Black Templars: +40 movement speed

Space Marines or Eldar can become corrupted and join Chaos Space marines and Dark Eldar respectively by typing -corrupt.

Chaos Space marines can peform special sacrifices and rituals to summon greater daemons,(currently only have the bloodthirster and great unclean one) limited to 1 per player.

Orks can gain control of other ork clans by killing their leader or banner(normally controlled by neutral hostile) to bolster their forces.

There is a powerful weapon known as a titan hidden in a random place in the map,(generated randomly every game) can be captured to potentially destroy
    10 units(heroes and buildings using its powerful weapons). Has no attack, instead its weapon is used as an ability with an extremely high cool down.

More to be revealed soon!!!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  2. RamWTF

RamWTF

Resources:
    Resources:
    Sounds intresting but I doupt the godly emperor of man would want help from the eldar but I think they could be their own team

3. Elenai

Elenai

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    hmmz Will there be custom models matching these races?

4. busterkomo

busterkomo

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I considered it but do to the limit of 6 forces i was forced to, perhaps i should put them into the same force and then make them treat each other as enemies with no vision?

Yeah.

*Added Space marine chapters*

5. Elenai

Elenai

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Excellent I would love to see how you manage the Eldar and the Tau.

6. RamWTF

RamWTF

Resources:
    Resources:
    well it would be wise to have them on the dark eldars team but not make them allies in that force so they wont have to be allied with anyone but just a suggestion good luck too ya

7. Jirinal

Jirinal

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well Eldar do that what they think will be the best for them. Also they will do as their Seer told them to.
    Also team 1 is then:

1. Space Marine, Imperial Guard, Sorotia and Grey Knights you could also add the Special Force Death Watch.

Just to clarify the names which is important for me as Wh40k player :p

Also how can you forget the Black Templar for the Space Marines? They even have their own Codex. I say replace Ultras with Black Templar and make a choice "no chapter" then you get the Ultra Space Marines.

And will you add specific Ork Clanz?
    Can Eldar choose their "Chapter"
    Can Chaos choose a god?
    Will Tau have the Flying Kroot Units they have now in the Tabletop?
    Will there be Terrain Modifier?
    Does Imperium get Forgeworld Stuff like Baneblade?

Yeah i think that was what i wanted to ask.

8. busterkomo

busterkomo

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Also how can you forget the Black Templar for the Space Marines? They even have their own Codex. I say replace Ultras with Black Templar and make a choice "no chapter" then you get the Ultra Space Marines. Yes, How could i forget the Black Templars, I'm not sure on making ultramarines the default, do to the fact that no player will choose to have no bonuses.

And will you add specific Ork Clanz?
    of course

Can Eldar choose their "Chapter" perhaps, not 100% sure yet.
    Can Chaos choose a god? Yes, It will also limit them to what greater daemon they are allowed(khorne will get the bloodthirster and son on).

Will Tau have the Flying Kroot Units they have now in the Tabletop? Yes.

Will there be Terrain Modifier? Yes.

Does Imperium get Forgeworld Stuff like Baneblade? Yes.

9. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'm really curious which models will you use.

10. Elenai

Elenai

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
  11. busterkomo

busterkomo

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thanks, thats where I got the Ork clans info and I'll probably change some of the space marine chapters' bonuses according to their lore and such.

12. Jirinal

Jirinal

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well also space marine chapters got disadvantages... (Black Templars dont have Psi units as example) and Ultra Marines can choose of all units and also have the greatest choose of "Heros" like Calgar and Tigerius.
    Also you could make the units of them cheaper.

Also i realy would like to see Tyranids but Tau and Necrons are fine too.

13. busterkomo

busterkomo

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I considered putting tyranids, but their is a limit on 6 forces :(

14. Kjiverx

Kjiverx

Resources:
    Resources:
  15. Jirinal

Jirinal

Resources:
    Resources:
    I dont know what to say, but i think the best idea would be: DOW is crap compared to the Tabletop.
    Ok we got some nice models physic engine and other shiny things. But the hell in this game Marines run away because low morale with a captain near them.
    And the captain makes them immun to morale.
    Also there are so many units missing and so many options, there arnt even chapters that give boni. But eh you cant expect something from a company that only want to make money, and not statisfy their customer, damn you GW! DAMN YOU!!!^^

16. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    In Dark Crusade you are able to make only very few of WW1 tanks. :thumbs_down:

Hell, you will not even survive to reach that tech level :bored:

17. Kjiverx

Kjiverx

Resources:
    Resources:
    jirinal, have you even played dark crusade? there is a tabletop mod, there's mods for pretty much everything. how is this gauranteed to be better? we already have a WH40KTD. this'll probably be good, on the wc3 new races scale

Mechanical Man, where is the ww1 tank in dark crusade? never seen it

18. Elenai

Elenai

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    The Leman Russ I believe is what he means.

And I am really looking forward to this map/mod a refreshing change of pace using a really good game...as long as it lives up to good standards.

19. Jirinal

Jirinal

Resources:
    Resources:
    I played around 10 mods for this game, and played all other parts. And noone was that good.
    As a 6year long experienced tabletopler i dont think good of people when they say hey instead of the real tabletop take the ideas from a spinoff game instead from the original.
    That just sounds wrong.

Also Elenai is right, the Imperial Forces are based on the WWI and WWII history, and have different folks. Like Russian and German (Deathcorp).
    Also the Imperator the god of the space marines, is Santa Claus. When you look at the History of both.

Dont think of me as to harsh, but you shouldnt take this game as reference when creating a game based on the tabletop.

20. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The problem of tabletop game is that is expensive and you can't see your forces firing, running and falling. So this is the reason that wh40k deserves a good game or at least mod.

Kjiverx, yes I meant Leman Russ. :wink: I like ww1 tank design so those tanks are my favourite in this universe.