• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Standard Editor vs. extentions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always used the standard editor when making maps.
Lately I have been intrigued by the possibilities of extensions (don't know if they are actually called that).

Mainly two have caught my eye were JNGP is mentioned far more than UMSWE.

I guess I would like to know if these really offer enough beef to be worth using. Are they just as easy to use as the normal editor, or at least fairly easy to get started with.

I have been repellent to use any of the two in question, epecially JNGP because the name screams Jass in the title, and I'm not experienced in Jass.

Links, just in case:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/tools-560/jassnewgenpack-5d-227445/
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/tools-560/umswe-62880/

In JNGP you also can enable UMSWE.

Compared JNGP to normal editor, it has less limits in amount of terrain tiles, amount of objects placed on map and you can extend map to 480x480.

There are more pros for JNGP, and no bad points. Furthermore you can use use vjass ressources, WE would not be able to compile here.

Also for learning JASS it is just epic in comparrison to normal.

Level 14
JNGP isnt a entirely new editor, its just the normal editor with some stuff added and very few things changed.
- Added: tools like JassHelper, UMSWE, Grimoire, etc... you can disable most of the stuff so you dont have to worry about them. But some stuff is nice, like the "no limits" option which removes the doodad limit..

- Changes: The Jass editor got improved, the GUI editor is still the old one (so dont worry about jass if you only use gui), the objecteditor displays internal field names, you can manage more terrain tiles etc.

You can also try "WurstPack", which is basically JNGP but with additional support for WurstScript. WurstPack might also be a bit more up to date than JNGP 5d, but im not sure.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...e-wurstscript-wurst-jass-compiler-ide-238522/

Level 23
I have been repellent to use any of the two in question, epecially JNGP because the name screams Jass in the title, and I'm not experienced in Jass.

Even if you don't use JASS the JNGP is very useful.
As others have already said.
- More Terrain tiles
- Larger playable map size
- Doodad cap removed
- Tooltips are much easier to customise, adding spacing/colours is much more straightforward in JNGP
- Windowed test mode

Just some of the non-Jass oriented useful functions JNGP has.

JNGP includes UMSWE more or less. So grab JNGP. It's the de facto standard of WC3 modding.
Also, you may check out the 2.x release of JNGP over the standard 5d.

I take by saying 2.x you refer to versions 2 and higher?

I can only see the 5d in the tool section.
What is the difference? And where can I get it?

To all of you.
Thank you so far for the suggestions/explanations.

No, that only means you open a map which last save was by normal world editor.

Ah ye that makes sense.

Now I said the final question had been asked. That was apparently a lie.

When I try to enable the UMSWE functions it says "Cannot Start Plugin".
The JNGP site simply said to extract the .zip somewhere and so I did.
I can't find any information on why the UMSWE part can't be enabled or if it has to be installed somehow.

Alright.

When I open a map with the NewGen WE it says:
"The map has been saved by a more recent version of the editor.
It may contain data which are not supported in this version."

Does this actually have an impact on anything?

Note that with NewGen, the "Key" function is different. It won't properly accept arguments. So you'll usually have to resort to something like this:
  • Set MyUnit = (Triggering unit)
  • Set udg_MyUnit_Key = GetHandleId(udg_MyUnit)
Where MyUnit_Key is an integer variable.

Apart from that, there isn't much of an impact. The functions that already have input for Key() will be fine, but it won't give you options for "Key" when you use JNGP.

Ah ye that makes sense.

Now I said the final question had been asked. That was apparently a lie.

When I try to enable the UMSWE functions it says "Cannot Start Plugin".
The JNGP site simply said to extract the .zip somewhere and so I did.
I can't find any information on why the UMSWE part can't be enabled or if it has to be installed somehow.

As Anvil said, try running as admin, or just try restarting the editor. I think I had this problem when I first tried loading UMSWE, but restarting it and rechecking it let it load properly. It should freeze for a sec, and then it should work just fine (you may want to restart the editor again in case the changes don't appear, I don't remember whether they appear right away).

Thanks for the answers and sorry for the late response.

A question referring to this:
Note that with NewGen, the "Key" function is different. It won't properly accept arguments. So you'll usually have to resort to something like this:
  • Set MyUnit = (Triggering unit)
  • Set udg_MyUnit_Key = GetHandleId(udg_MyUnit)
Where MyUnit_Key is an integer variable.

I just recently ran into this problem.
I need to store the ID of the uGrave_Unit in the iGrave_UnitID integer.
Both exist.

This is how I would think it should look like:

• Actions
    • Set pDying_Point = (Position of uAffectedUnit)
    • Unit - Create 1 Grave for Player 1 (Red) at pDying_Point facing Default building facing degrees
    • Set uGrave_Unit = (Last created unit)
    • Custom script: Set udg_iGrave_UnitID = GetHandleId(udg_uGrave_Unit)
    • Hashtable - Save Handle OfuAffectedUnit as 0 of iGrave_UnitID in hashGrave
    • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_pDying_Point)
However I get a syntax error when saving saying: Syntax Error, unexpected: "udg_iGrave_UnitID"?

What am I doing wrong?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Is this because of newgen?
Some of those save in hashtable actions in GUI always crash. This is because the poor employees who were forced to maintain the game did not develop the game originally so did the intuitive thing instead of the dumb things the game needs to work.

Region in GUI is actually a Rect. The actual JASS meaning of Region is not at all supported by GUI. Many of the hashtable actions use the JASS meaning and link to invalid GUI causing a crash when used. Totally stupid, I agree, but you cannot blame the people who were maintaining the game since such a thing is total nonsense and the source code was likely as well documented as the game was written (not very well).

The actual problem JNGP has is with the GetHandleID wrapper in GUI since the type does not exist in the old executable version GUI uses so the function cannot be used well.

Status
Not open for further replies.