• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Spring of Arevas

It is a 2vs2 Meleemap, but it is also designed for 1vs1 or FFA.

There are:
- 2 expos (1 only reachable with zepp)
- 1 tavern
- 1 goblin shop
- 1 goblin lab
- 1 merc-camp
for each player and 1 fountain of health in the middle.

Keywords:
Arevas, Spring, Melee, 2vs2, Lordearon Summer, Water
Contents

Spring of Arevas (Map)

Reviews
17:52, 8th Dec 2009 ap0calypse: Approved
Level 5
Thoughts

I like the design of your map, but I saw some things I think you should tweak a little. Firstly I think some of the land bridges connecting bases are a bit too straight, making them appear unnatural. Secondly on your top left most expansion the tree line is completely straight. Thirdly to the bottom right of the central area there is a waterfall with no source. In addition to those, I know it's just a melee map; but you should write some sort of short description either describing a little back story for your map or some strategic map game play. Otherwise I'm pretty sure the moderators wont approve it for a rule violation. Other than that I think it's looking pretty good.

Level 15
Map Review

This review is made by reason 3, if you have any questions or anything else to comment feel free to Private Message me.You may also ask me to review your map again.

A usual melee map, it doesn't contain big changes, you really need to work more on this.

[+]Map is balanced and playable but it's a melee map, you actually didn't do anything about it.
[-]There is no map description or anything else to inform players about your map.
[-]Terrain isn't creative, i would call it boring.

Overall rating:1/5 - vote for rejection

If you want this to get approved i would advise you to work more, you have to improve terrain, or at least add something new that would make this map different than the other milions of melee maps.
~ r3

Last edited:
Level 2
@ Dragonkeeper
Thank you for the detailed feedback. The idea of the one waterfall without source is, that there is a hole in the rock face, where the water goes trough. The other things i ll fix asap.

@ reason 3
It was the plan to create a usual melee map. It should finally only be an alternative for a blizz map.

Level 15
@ reason 3
It was the plan to create a usual melee map. It should finally only be an alternative for a blizz map.

Yeah, this might be just me but i'm not a crazy fun of Blizzard's maps.I think that other users have managed to make much better maps than Blizzard's.
I'm just saying your map requires more work if you want it to become popular of course.

Level 8
reason 3 - I as an experienced meelemapper disagree with you - the terrain is made even better than the most guys did it here on hive. Of course its far away from a great terrain but at least better than 70% of meeles on hive.
And rejection? No ... And the terrain is actualy creative and original. Very unusal structure.

3/5 - good one. But fix the middle - need more space for the ramp to the middle - there isnt enough space for entering with an army. And make all tiny paths a bit wider.Also some doodads more on the shores required. But good job, keep it up.

Level 15
C'mon there are milion of other melee maps out there, what makes you think this is different and worth of approval?
If you are about to edit a melee map and just add a bridge and a few flowers then everyone could do it...Seriously, i don't see too much work on it.
This plus no description make me vote for rejection.

Level 8
C'mon there are milion of other melee maps out there, what makes you think this is different and worth of approval?
If you are about to edit a melee map and just add a bridge and a few flowers then everyone could do it...Seriously, i don't see too much work on it.
This plus no description make me vote for rejection.

Wrong...
there are only 264 meelemaps on hive (actualy even less, cuz some of those arent meele) and 3/4ths of all those maps are even in lower quality.
I vote for aproval for some reasons...I have the feeling if I open a map - and this time my opinion is something between positive and negative - its average.
And average means aproved. There are actualy a lot of meele´s on hive which I would reject. But this not.

And I even think that ATON is even better in terraining than you - by the way.

Level 15
This is not me here...I don't judge other by measuring myself.
If i judged other people's maps by my terraining skills, i guess we would have 90% of the current uploaded maps here in Hive Approved.
If i judged other's people's maps by my triggering skills, then i guess we would have about 25% of the current uploaded maps here Approved.

I downloaded, tested it with the intention of helping.That's just me, i provided you with the criteria i based my review.If you don't like it ignore it, if you like it think of what i said and focus on improving.My desicion is final...but remember this
Map Review

You may also ask me to review your map again.

EDIT:Oh by the way, you said this is ok for approval right?I would reject it for 2 reasons.
First,
Original Work
All maps must be significantly worked on, if not entirely created, by their submitter. Maps that were edited from someone else's work must include proof of permission to edit that work, and the original author may request that the map be taken down at any time.
I don't see to much work here...
And second, maps lacking proper description are rejected!

Level 10
well, i think we need more opinions than two.
if we got about 3 or 4 opinions, then we will see if most of the people would reject this meele map or not.

my opinion:
its a normal meele map at the nivou of blizzards ones.
terrain is average and the balance too.
i see no reason why this should be rejected with some additional description.
although! a meele map actually does not really need one.
2.5/5

Level 28
there are only 264 meelemaps on hive (actualy even less, cuz some of those arent meele) and 3/4ths of all those maps are even in lower quality.
I vote for aproval for some reasons...I have the feeling if I open a map - and this time my opinion is something between positive and negative - its average.
And average means aproved. There are actualy a lot of meele´s on hive which I would reject. But this not.
What do you mean, some of them aren't melee?
The melee-category is for melee-maps only, there are no other maps in it.

@Reason 3:
Well, melee-maps don't require any trigger or object knowledge, but you need to know the drop rates, you need to be able to balance every player's starting location, you need to be able to create a good terrain.
I need to be honest: symmetrical melee-maps are really easy, but non-symmetrical ones are hard to balance.

About the map:

Well, it's a symmetrical melee-map...
I really hate the lordaeron tileset, but that might be a personal opinion.
There were some doodads that I woul'dve left out (the burning buildings were kind of sad) and I would've placed more environmental/water doodads on the shores, since they look too empty right now.

What immediately caught my attention is that there is no creep camp in the middle (fountian of health), which is... either very original, or just stupid, since you can heal all your units after each battle.
Of course, this will also be the centerpoint of most of the action, but it's a wide open spot so I don't see any problems there.

There are only a few trees at your main base, so you have to expand pretty fast and the gold that's available in the gold mines hasn't been changed at all.

Approved (rating would be about 2/5, lacking...).

Level 28

All of them are pending and all of them are the wrong type >.> (2 of them abusing the type by selecting multiple types).
I've rejected 2 of those maps and set the other to Altered Melee... o_O