• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[SPOILERS] Jurassic World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
So I just came home from watching Jurassic World and I wanted to know what all of you thought?

For my part this was one of the films that I grew up on and it sparked my childhood love for dinosaurs. In the first film it always felt that the main characters were the dinosaurs and the humans where just side characters and that was my hope for Jurassic World. I will say that it did manage to live up to my expectations in the later half of the film. For the first half I was just so tired of the human plot and the divorce story and what not that I just didn't care about. But for the later half I felt it turn around when the velociraptors were called to hunt down the indomisaurus and I was just thinking to myself this is a truly amazing film.

Overall I would say that the film is pretty good if all of it had held up to the quality of the later half of the film it would have been one of the best movie experiences of my life. You just ended up loving and cheering for Blue, Echo, Delta and Charlie and every time one of them died a voice inside me cried out in frustration. And in the ending fight scene were (whom I presume was the alpha female Blue) returned from the dead to fight alongside the tyrannosaurus against the indomisaurus my heart was beating faster than I've ever remembered it do. The ending was in my opinion next to flawless and ended in the exact same way as Jurassic Park did, it was great.

What in my opinion made the film good though was that the producers unlike me didn't see the dinosaurs as the protagonists which made them willing to kill of the dinosaurs you cared about which made me have a genuine fear for the lives of the protagonists which is VERY rare nowadays not even GoT. In the end had all the humans died I would not have cared because they were not the stars of the film. But as it is the whole film I have to judge it as a whole and I have to say that it's good but only slightly above average because the first half was just so boring as it focused way to much on the humans and not nearly enough on the dinosaurs and that's why I was there to see dinosaurs do cool shit.

Last edited:
Level 24
The only moment I was bored was when the kids were talking about fear. Other than that it was really fun. Much better than I had expected.

I also really hated the moment when the brontosaurus died and the kids aunt shed a tear. That tear felt so forced into the story to make the character progress it was so immensely bad it was unbelievable.

I will say this though, the tyrannosaurus rex vs indominus rex battle made the Gandalf vs Balrog fighting scene look like two toddlers fighting. It is without a doubt the best fighting scene I've ever seen on film.

Level 24
And about the final fight scene, all the dinosaurs during that fight were females. I just noticed it.

Yep they sure were, mammals are one of the few groups where male specimens are predominantly bigger. Blue is a female, the Tyrannosaurus Rex was a female and the Indominus Rex was a female. (Not sure of the water creature though.) Jurassic World would most likely do what all other parks do and pick the bigger specimens for display therefor when it comes to mammals males are often picked and when displaying something like a Bald Eagle or a Saltwater Crocodile females are picked since they by far out scale their male counterparts. If you want even more ridiculous size differences though look at insect queens or Clown fishes for example.

Level 24
Arent all dinosaurs in that park female? They said in Jurassic Park 1 they dont breed male so the dinosaurs cant reproduce by themselves.

What's canon in Jurassic Park isn't always canon in Jurassic World and in Jurassic Park there were males as they had taken DNA from frogs who could switch gender. ;D

Level 34
It was Michael Bay with dinos instead of explosions. I enjoyed laughing at it with my friends.

It was definitely fun to watch. Great scenery, very nice CGI, cool dinosaurs.

As others have mentioned, the plot wasn't all too interesting (at least the human-related parts). I didn't care about the divorce that much, and the army guy was just far too obnoxious for there to be any dynamic to his character. Indian guy was hilarious. Loved him. Chris Pratt.. hard to take him seriously due to his other roles. He did a good job, but it is just one of those things you can't shake off. Kinda like when I was watching Elijah Wood in Wilfred--I just kept picturing Frodo.

One complaint I have relates to the "amusement park" theme. (that they sort of mentioned in that monologue with the moustache guy talking about Jurassic Park) The mystery was gone for the most part. Compare how you felt in this island vs. the original Jurassic Park or better yet--King Kong. It definitely was missing that "discovery" feeling.

Also--many people died, but it was hard to really feel sympathy or frightened since most of the people were just random bystanders, and their mass hysteria with the pterodactyls wasn't all too exciting considering the other big hybrid dinosaur was still on the loose. Although, I was surprised the secretary died.

The part I found most interesting was when the boys went off on their own in the gyrosphere. I really wish that had lasted longer, because that felt like the most intense/adventurous moment of the film.

The concept of the raptors was pretty cool, and the fights were great. I kinda expected it to be a dinosaur showdown, but not much wrong with that. The mosasaurus was amazing. I wish they had done a bit more with the underwater creatures since I've always found the prehistoric underwater animals to be so fascinating and unexplored, but I understand that wasn't their focus.

In summary:
It was Michael Bay with dinos instead of explosions. I enjoyed laughing at it with my friends.

Level 39
I really liked it. It's the best Jurassic Park sequel. It doesn't beat the original but is still better than The Lost World and definately a lot better than JP3.

The characters were alright, nothing amazing, but if you think about it neither were the characters in the original. Probably the only interesting characters in the original were Malcom and Hammond. I think Pratt's character was great. He felt like a mix between Grant and Malcom. Claire was a cool character as well, who probably had the most development over the film. The kids were, as you might expect, quite annoying. But so were the kids from the original, so nothing new there.

CGI was amazing, anyone saying otherwise are just haters. Big improvement over the originals which is to be expected of course. Many of the scenes haters refer to when they say the "animatronics" were more memorably, were in fact CGI to begin with. There were animatronics used yes, but only for close ups.

Death of the secretary was brutal.

I wasn't a fan of the idea of the I-Rex originally. I thought it seemed out of place with all the "natural" dinosaurs and it seemed too much like a monster from a monster-movie. But then Dr. Wu summed it up perfectly:

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

This is how it's been since the beginning. If Jurassic Park were to be realistic or natural, the dinos from the first film would've had feathers. And the raptors would've been the size of turkeys. So I think this moment with Dr. Wu was sorta of an eye opener, not just for Jurassic World but for the whole franchise.

Only thing I didn't like was during the last dinosaur showdown. It was amazing, don't get me wrong, but I didn't really like the mosasaurus sweeping in killing the I-Rex in the end. It just seemed way too convenient and cheesy, even for a JP movie.

All in all, I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to a sequel.

Level 24
The mosasaurus was amazing. I wish they had done a bit more with the underwater creatures since I've always found the prehistoric underwater animals to be so fascinating and unexplored, but I understand that wasn't their focus.

I agree the only aquatic dinosaur that has been touched before is the Spinosaurus in Jurassic Park III but its depiction was even more off than their depiction of the Velociraptor. :D At least in Jurassic World they explained that by saying they had genetically modified all their dinosaurs. There were even some nice details that they did not mention, for instance the Triceratops youngsters had antlers that bent in the opposite direction that the adults did which also was the case in reality.

And the raptors would've been the size of turkeys.

That is a bit of an underestimation an average Velociraptor would probably weigh about 15 kg while the biggest of the turkeys would weigh about a third of that. But you're right that archaeologists believe them to have looked something like this.

Velociraptor_dinoguy2.jpg

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The entire concept of the film makes no sense. In a world where cloning technology is that advanced how can any dinosaur pose a threat?

You have a giant mutated tyrannous on the lose? Track it with a drone and blow it up. Shoot it if you have to, even in WW2 guns existed that could penetrate over a feet of steel plating and could be mount onto a tank, more than enough to take down something unarmoured.

Why on earth did it even need tracking? Did their remote tracking technology fail or something?! Surely something that big could be spotted anywhere from an aircraft? What was the anti-terrorism squad doing about this, or is that limited to hijacked passenger aircraft?

The first film at least made some sense. It was a disaster that happened due to bad decisions (no fail-safes, bad gene splices, hiring the wrong staff, cutting corners etc). One could accept what happened due to plain old bad decisions and the park was closed as a result. Especially at the time the failure of computer systems was quite a topic as back then computers were quite special and not all risks associated with them were fully understood.

However in 2015 there is no excuse any more for such mistakes. Not only did they have the failures of the first film to learn upon (bring heavy weaponry, keep track of animals better, more fail safes) but they also have all the latest technology at their disposal. A place that has genetically modified dinosaurs and lethal electric fences would have armed drones, sentry guns and all forms of modern day weapons for security purposes. Let us not forget the chance of "kill switches" placed into every dinosaur, especially experimental ones for remote termination.

From the sounds of it they just wanted over sized dinosaurs fighting and killing each other. To allow this they threw out all sense and threw in stupidity. How I miss films with non-killing orientated plots.

I haven't seen the movie yet.
Did they adress the problem of dinosaurs actually having feathers? I know, it's hard selling dinosaur toys to children if they look like giant chicken, but we just have to fight that "dinosaurs are reptiles" fallacy eventually...

From the sounds of it they just wanted over sized dinosaurs fighting and killing each other. To allow this they threw out all sense and threw in stupidity. How I miss films with non-killing orientated plots.
To be honest, that concept worked well for Pacific Rim...
It's not like people don't enjoy pointless action. But please leave my dear classics like Indiana Jones, Star Wars und Jurassic Park out of this...

Back to the Future is like the last bastion of classic movies that wasn't butchered yet.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Indiana Jones, Star Wars
The originals of these were both very good storyline wise. They had a good balance between action and plotline which made sense. Films recently focus too much on gory action rather than on the plot why it is all happening. To the point you are sure 80% of the named characters dying is for the violence more than as part of the story.

Level 34
From the sounds of it they just wanted over sized dinosaurs fighting and killing each other.
See, my complaint is that they let story get in the way of dinosaurs. I don't give a flying fuck about some stupid kids divorcing parents. I came to see dinosaurs tear shit up.

In fact, that movie would have been a million times better, and that's no hyperbole, if the kids were removed from the movie, and more dinosaurs were added. Oh god I hated those kids.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I came to see dinosaurs tear shit up.
Except why should Dinosaurs be tearing up "shit". They are not demons or inherently malevolent. How could they even tear up anything in a world where humans possess enough firepower to destroy everything.

Even a "T-Rex" would not be able to do much to concrete and steel structures. That is unless idiots designed the place and made everything out of metal covered paper and paper mache. Or maybe the things they call Dinosaurs are not Dinosaurs but rather sophisticated war machines made of carbon fibre and titanium which raises the question why they would allow any civilian anywhere near one.

Level 24
Except why should Dinosaurs be tearing up "shit".

No they are by no means evil I agree with you they are animals just like you or me. But if the setting of the past three movies have taught us it's that things goes goes south real swift and dinosaurs starts eating people and wrecking shit up. It is simply to a Tyrannosaurus Rex human appears to be below them on the food chain so obviously they would see us as prey. In Sweden for instance a human hasn't been attacked by a wolf for centuries and that's because their parents teaches them to avoid humans. That's why in Sweden you're taught that the louder you're the safer you're because all large carnivores in Sweden are scared of humans. When you're in a zoo however you build up trust and you remove the fear factor and that's when animals are actually dangerous.

Except why should Dinosaurs be tearing up "shit". They are not demons or inherently malevolent. How could they even tear up anything in a world where humans possess enough firepower to destroy everything.

The reasoning in the movie was that (1) dinosaurs were kept in captivity and the humans were generally annoying (e.g. velociraptors & the army guy) (2) with the indominus rex, she killed for sport with the existential question: who am I? Where am I on the food chain?

that's why ppl got shrekt. you'd prolly do it too since there isn't much to lose in the first place

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It is simply to a Tyrannosaurus Rex human appears to be below them on the food chain so obviously they would see us as prey.
That is not a problem. The problem is how in a film meant to be based around 2015 it is possible for something like that to escape and why humans are exposed to such risks in the first place. Just because it is big does not make it suddenly heavily armoured so bullets bounce off it and give it super strength so steel beams bend like butter.

Sure a hand gun might not do much to it, but something with a little more fire powers (such as a truck mounted gun, RPG, anything with penetration or explosives etc) would. Especially since the film was made to reflect American rather than British culture one would expect such weapons to be plentiful in a theme park filled with potentially dangerous genetic engineered animals.

I am trying to avoid anything too scientific. I mean the fact that they might not be able to recognize humans as food in the first place for the logical reason of there being no humans when they evolved is not something worth discussing in a film. Or that they would be smaller than they were naturally due to a reduction of planetary oxygen levels is also something that is not worth discussing in a film. Let us not forget the whole host of modern diseases that they would have no resistance to and be susceptible to since the diseases evolved long after they were extinct. Or that many of the shown dinosaurs were much bigger than they naturally ever were (raptors, cough). Even the herbivores would have problems as their gut bacteria and their staple foods (which their bodies were heavily adapted to digest) no longer exist and would also have problems with modern day competition or diseases.

Level 24
That is not a problem. The problem is how in a film meant to be based around 2015 it is possible for something like that to escape and why humans are exposed to such risks in the first place. Just because it is big does not make it suddenly heavily armoured so bullets bounce off it and give it super strength so steel beams bend like butter.

The Tyrannosaurus Rex was let loose it didn't escape although I assume you speak of the Indominus Rex. If the dinosaurs escaped and got killed after 5 minutes than it wouldn't be a film. :D Why do you think Jurassic Park only had one security guard even though it "spared no expense", convenience of the plot. ;)

If we were going to be realistic there wouldn't be any monster movies whatsoever. Not Godzilla, not Jurassic Park or anything similar. Many great films would not exist today if they had to be 100% realistic.

Or that they would be smaller than they were naturally due to a reduction of planetary oxygen levels is also something that is not worth discussing in a film. Let us not forget the whole host of modern diseases that they would have no resistance to and be susceptible to since the diseases evolved long after they were extinct. Or that many of the shown dinosaurs were much bigger than they naturally ever were (raptors, cough). Even the herbivores would have problems as their gut bacteria and their staple foods (which their bodies were heavily adapted to digest) no longer exist and would also have problems with modern day competition or diseases.

All this could be solved with one quote, when the rich Indian owner of the park says that the mutation they've done to the Indominus Rex is unnatural and they've made it into a monster the scientist replies all of the dinosaurs are genetically modified to make them bigger and more dangerous. He says that monster is a relative term, to a mouse a cat is a monster and the reason he calls the Indominus Rex a monster is because he's used to being the cat.

I don't think this film is anywhere close to perfect as you'll see if you read my first post I just don't think it's fair to enforce the rules of todays society in a film series that clearly never had it to begin with.

Level 25
HEEEEEERE'S MECHEON

This movie is so stupid. Like, there is no defending it, it is stupid. Its that somewhat funny type of stupid at points and the end battle is hilariously amazing

It also ignores 20 god damn years of dinosaur and pterosaur research all in the name of making them monsters. Where is my terrestial stalking giraffe sized Quetzalcoatlus picking off humans like it is the god damn king of the island (which it is, cuz, hey, taller than Rex)

Level 24
HEEEEEERE'S MECHEON

This movie is so stupid. Like, there is no defending it, it is stupid. Its that somewhat funny type of stupid at points and the end battle is hilariously amazing

Ok, mind telling us why that's stupid.

It also ignores 20 god damn years of dinosaur and pterosaur research all in the name of making them monsters.

But that's what the entire film is about genetically mutated dinosaurs they even advertised that in the trailer. If you knew you weren't going to like the film then why did you see it? :D

And if you say the other films were more accurate you are as wrong as one can be.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Why do you think Jurassic Park only had one security guard even though it "spared no expense", convenience of the plot. ;)
Because that was actually a hidden part of the plot. Although he "spared no expense" he was cutting corners everywhere. From filling the dinosaur genome with frog DNA to hiring a single crappy underpaid programmer, corners were being cut everywhere even if from the outside it did not look like it and the eventual result was the disaster.

HEEEEEERE'S MECHEON
Oh is it judgment day already?

He does not have to tell you anything, for he is the all mighty Mecheon!

The actual problem with the Jurassic Park series is that it tried to be too much of a horror film. As such they made all the heroes inept and all the dinosaurs monstrous killing machines. Since dinosaurs are not human-like or real they can show them killing each other with little concern for complaints.

Level 34
HEEEEEERE'S MECHEON
All the bullshit that this site has seen, and this is what draws you out? :p

It also ignores 20 god damn years of dinosaur and pterosaur research all in the name of making them monsters. Where is my terrestial stalking giraffe sized Quetzalcoatlus picking off humans like it is the god damn king of the island (which it is, cuz, hey, taller than Rex)
They totally covered that plot hole by having the scientist mention that they wanted the dinosaurs to look like the ones people learned about as kids.

Level 25
Because there are two types of movies. Those that make you think, like say, Inception, and those that don't make you think and just "Hey guys, dinosaurs", like Jurassic World

But that's what the entire film is about genetically mutated dinosaurs they even advertised that in the trailer. If you knew you weren't going to like the film then why did you see it? :D

The first JP was about genetically modified dinosaurs. They were still damn accurate for the time

I went there because I'm a JP nostalgia junky, like the rest :(

And if you say the other films were more accurate you are as wrong as one can be.

Jurassic Park was the most up to date movie of its kind. Sure, the Velociraptors were oversized Deinonychus, and sure, we have no evidence for Dilophosaurus having a frill or poison spitting

You're forgetting Jurassic Park was the movie that changed T-Rex from "Old stompy monster like Godzilla" into "A fast, real, viable threat". Look at any dinosaur movie prior to JP, and you'll notice this.

Do you know how far dinosaur studies have come since Jurassic Park? We -know- Velociraptor had feathers. We know not all Pterosaurs were fish eaters, Dimorphodon, y'know, the scraggly one, was pretty much an insectivore that didn't like flying. The only thing dangerous from all the Pterosaurs escaping would have been the

Hell, Mosasaurus, you know, the big ol' aquatic reptile? We've found fossils showing it had a fluke like a shark. And you can date when that happened because it was found after Olof's Tylosaur model

But nope, can't let science get in the way of a movie apparently.

Level 34
HEEEEEERE'S MECHEON
Man I just love that intro! :cgrin: Comming with style

In fact, that movie would have been a million times better, and that's no hyperbole, if the kids were removed from the movie, and more dinosaurs were added. Oh god I hated those kids.
Oh god damn. Can someone please explain me... Why, BUT WHY IN ALMOST EVERY good damn movie they have to put some kids, american broken family or such things, and point it for some time as center of happenings?

Dr Super Good, but what is not logical but true, this movie shows up perfectly (american) family: Mother died, two sisters left. They are completely different. Even not talking much. One is family woman, whose has two kids and are before divorce. Second one does not want kids, she is after career, working in some company, does not even knowing how her sister's kids old are.Ignoring them at beggining. Later, when they are in trouble, she feels quilty and suddenly feels love for them until rest of movie. And kids: Yeah, my favorite: Older and younger. Older is some haircut ,,Justin Bieber style", younger more like regular kid, but both share same ability: They are not respecting elders and do not listen anyone. When everyone is ordered to evacuate, those kids (normally) did not listen, but instead went further into trouble. It explained lot how stuff function in reality around world more or less.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I think a comparison with the latest transformer films might be a good idea. Those were shallow plot films almost entirely focused around alien half-living robots blowing each other up with people being caught in the cross fire. Sound familiar?

Dinosaurs fighting each other with people caught in the cross fire...
and those that don't make you think and just "Hey guys, dinosaurs", like Jurassic World
A type sums it up exactly. The "mindless killing and destruction of human and non-human alike" type. Who needs a plot when you can watch stuff kill each other instead.

Level 28
I like how they tackled the differences between what was probably real science and jurassic park fiction without going into uneccessary detail. It's all explained by the addition of missing DNA. That's how I actually came to like the idea of the Indominus Rex, something I hated when I first watched the trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.