• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Spheksophobia or Entomophobia thread (Wasps/bug phobia)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Ok so I'm not a fan of wasps, or insects in general but especially not wasps, and I thought that I'd make a thread about them and the measures or precautions you'd take to avoid encountering them, out in the wilds or maybe even at home (or any other scary insect that you know of).

It doesn't have to be something extreme (unlike what the title maybe implies), stuff like not having a picnic in the park or using a solarium instead of sunbathing are ok too, as long as it's at least partially to avoid some kind of insect.

Personally I've had a few come in through the window a couple of times and had to leave my computer with the monsters until I found help. Ever since I make sure that unless it's early in the morning or late evening the windows are always closed.

I also avoid bathing in any lake or coast, it has to be in either a pool or a bathing house.

My wish is that the day when enveloping energy shields or barriers become accessible to the public is near, so that even if you by mistake encounter some creepy insect you can feel safe and protected that you have insurance.

Edit: The question(s) are: Do you dislike insects or some animal and if so are there any particular one that you try to avoid/exterminate/something? (anything between just habits in your life to using toxics to exterminate them)

Edit 2: There's no need to give a reason/backstory as to why you dislike the creature, but my intention was that people would explain how come so that people could perhaps relate and understand (which would probably make it more interesting for the reader).

Last edited:
Level 9
I have ranidaphobia

Fear of frogs lol...fuck frogs

Edit: Fear of somethig is usually starts from childhood,maybe your parent thought you to fear these creatures
or maybe some traumatic experience,
Frogs are harmless creatures and they provide balance to the nature by helping us human by eating those insects
i tried to learn to love them but i just cant get 5 feet closer to them

my backyard has a lot of them...sucks tho
Snakes does disgust me,roaches not really
but frogs...hell no

I even google it and found out it was ranidaphobia...
theres no cure lol

Level 12
I have ranidaphobia

Fear of frogs lol...fuck frogs

Edit: Fear of somethig is usually starts from childhood,maybe your parent thought you to fear these creatures
or maybe some traumatic experience,
Frogs are harmless creatures and they provide balance to the nature by helping us human by eating those insects
i tried to learn to love them but i just cant get 5 feet closer to them

my backyard has a lot of them...sucks tho
Snakes does disgust me,roaches not really
but frogs...hell no

I even google it and found out it was ranidaphobia...
theres no cure lol

Do they make a lot of sounds too, like are they close to the house so you can't sleep and stuff? If they were bothering me (I could not avoid them) I might look into what makes them want to live there and maybe try to make them leave.

I hate insects and gray creatures. They skew my depiction of reality.

Lizards always run from me, but they are gray and look yucky.

So are rats, which are even dirtier and nastier.

Spiders do evil stuff, and are creepy.

Cockroaches are annoying.

Frogs are less annoying than cockroaches.

Most of all I hate the tiny flies, they either land on my food then fly away so fast, or kamikaze in the middle and ruin my meal.

Level 12
I fucking hate earwigs.

google time.

Also guys it would be more interesting to read if there's some personal story of an experience with the creature, as a backstory to why you hate/fear it.

edit: that's some really disgusting insect, the saving grace must be that they can't fly (at least not from the looks of it)

"They are slender insects with two pair of wings." I pray that I never see one.

Level 22
Any particular reason? Do you do anything to avoid them? (like being super clean and spraying stuff etc)
Because they can fly and I can't. I don't avoid them, I hunt them down. Sometimes I chop off their heads with my bolo, sometimes I crush them with my "tsinelas", sometimes I stab them with a pole, spray them with insecticides... and yet they always live a happy life, flying around, eating when hungry... There you go.

Level 9
Because they can fly and I can't. I don't avoid them, I hunt them down. Sometimes I chop off their heads with my bolo, sometimes I crush them with my "tsinelas", sometimes I stab them with a pole, spray them with insecticides... and yet they always live a happy life, flying around, eating when hungry... There you go.

Tsinelas FTW....

Im not pinoy but my mom is, and if im not mistaken its slippers rite?LOL

@DeathAdder

I don't mind the sounds they're making but they always crawl inside my kitchen, i suspect its thru the drain...where it can connect to the kitchen floor where water flows if incase theres an overflow LOL
once i didn't turn on the lights and went to the kitchen to grab some snacks..one fat (brown colored) frog was watching me in the corner of the kitchen..almost stepped onto it...

Level 22
@Bloodbath: yes, it is slippers. The most satisfying way to kill roaches, at least that's what I think.

Level 29
Have strong disgust against any kind of fly, inspecially mosquitos. I even tolerate spider "allies" within the house against this vermin, aslong they not attempt to weave their web over me instead(in the case of occurs an: YOU HAVE FAILED ME SERVANT! *blam*) during sleep.
Roaches are rather harmless, you can just stomp on them but be careful to not agitate otherwise they activate lvl99 Sprint across the house.
Dont even get me started on ants, leave something really sweet in the open, over the kitchen countertops for a couple minutes and there is an certain chance one of their scouts has already arrived to it, the moment it detects this presence seeks others to assemble reinforcements. Mornings have to cleanse a whole horde of them as unwashed dishes attract. Ants just keep arriving despite every counter-measure put in place, block a path and they find a new way, if all blocked they engineer another.
Man do i hate them doing this, otherwise they rather belong into the better bunch of insect.
Atleast they didnt sting me dangerously near the eye during childhood, unlike a certain giant bee(people keep telling me bees dont sting people wasps do and im like "what?! sure.."). Mixedly fear and respect bees because of that. Whenever a harmless small honey-bee enters my living quarter im like "oh, shit!1" and have to make sure returns outside first, then i close down all windows for a while, just to be sure it doesnt come again. Respect because bees do play a vital role in the ecosystem.

Cockroaches are literally disgusting... and very formidable foes. I'll occasionally pass by one that has landed on its back and couldn't get back up. It makes you think its dead, but when you go to actually hit it, it starts squirming and goes in a rampage. They have a hard/thick body so they are annoying to kill. They are harmless, but gross. The other day I tried killing one that was stuck on a rug in my bathroom. I tried grabbing it with toilet paper to kill it, but instead it would "pop" and land back somewhere in the carpet (it made some crunching/popping noise). After 6 or so attempts, I lifted the entire rug and shaked it off into the toilet.

Moths also freak me out. I don't like killing them because you can "feel" them when you kill them (if the material is thin enough). I usually have to resort to throwing something, but they fly around and are all furry and junk. It creeps me out. If you stare at it too long before striking, you'll get more and more hesitant.

I usually have a hardened resolve for these types of things, but there are particular bugs that turn me into a little girl. In the U.S., most high schools require you to do a "Bug Project" or sorts where you get a net, catch bugs, kill them in a jar of poison, and pin them on some styrofoam. It is actually a really weird, and disturbing, project when you think about it. It might be some conspiracy for pest control, idk. Regardless, it makes you confront your fear of bugs... but there are downsides to it. Sometimes you'll try to pin a bug when it isn't actually dead. They'll often twitch if they're not quite dead yet (happened to me when I pinned a dragonfly, and I broke its tail off). Overall, that project sort of scarred me for life. It made me more afraid than I normally was. Just yesterday I shot a wasp nest down in Legend of Zelda, and I freaked out as I heard the buzzing. It is like I have war flashbacks. I mean, I certainly don't have a fear to the extent of some people, but I definitely have a weakness when I'm face to face with bugs.

Humans, they're literally everywhere and always moving and so annoying.... Not to mention a lot are gross D: ALSO!! They build their nests of living,laws,rules almost anywhere and everywhere. So hard to get rid of.

Though really, mammoth-roaches and spiders for me. Sometimes I wont touch spiders if they're placed well enough to stop roaches and other pesky critters.

Level 12
Whenever a harmless small honey-bee enters my living quarter im like "oh, shit!1" and have to make sure returns outside first, then i close down all windows for a while, just to be sure it doesnt come again. Respect because bees do play a vital role in the ecosystem.

If I hear any kind of buzzing I escape from my room and close the doors. Once someone had opened my windows while I were sleeping late and I woke up to this buzzing sound, and of course there's some wasp that has found it's way inside. Because the door was in the other end of the room I hid under my sheets and stayed in bed for at least half an hour.

In the U.S., most high schools require you to do a "Bug Project"
I would skip out of class if I had this, like how I skipped dissection in biology, without a second thought.

This many people hate bugs and small animals like snakes and frogs? I don't see them creepy in any way D:
Share your secret, it's badly needed.

I would skip out of class if I had this, like how I skipped dissection in biology, without a second thought.

Yeah, it is possible to opt out of the project, but it usually requires some sufficient reason: e.g. phobia or religion. They would make you write a paper instead.

Idk, it is such a weird project. It is mostly useless (apart from the written portion), and it is particularly annoying to spend your time trying to find different types/orders. People even make money off of it (kids sell bugs to others if they happen to catch extra). And it is somewhat traumatic to see the bugs die. Two crane flies I caught had death sex (sex before you're going to die). I ended up catching a carpenter bee later on in the same jar. Just the vibration from his wings created a whirlwind in the jar, and he ended up ripping the other insects' bodies apart (which was kind of annoying, because I needed those other bugs lol).

Level 12
Yeah, it is possible to opt out of the project, but it usually requires some sufficient reason: e.g. phobia or religion. They would make you write a paper instead.

Idk, it is such a weird project. It is mostly useless (apart from the written portion), and it is particularly annoying to spend your time trying to find different types/orders. People even make money off of it (kids sell bugs to others if they happen to catch extra). And it is somewhat traumatic to see the bugs die. Two crane flies I caught had death sex (sex before you're going to die). I ended up catching a carpenter bee later on in the same jar. Just the vibration from his wings created a whirlwind in the jar, and he ended up ripping the other insects' bodies apart (which was kind of annoying, because I needed those other bugs lol).

It's a bit off-topic but I find it mildly interesting to compare to my own experience: I guess school might be more lenient in sweden, as a rule you can't get scores below your national tests in the subject. So throughout elementary and high school I'd "opt out" or sleep through classes on a regular basis.

Basically the focus is on how large of a percentage is passing graduation so anything past a passing grade is pretty much neglected and serves no real purpose besides boasting so if you want to further your education you either educate yourself in your free time or wait for university.

Level 26
Yajks.. Those names.. getting stranger and stranger. Meaby thread for longest "phobia" word?

Bugs are fine and cute. Even when I was lil I had been breeding multiple roaches, tons of spiders etc at my house/courtyard. The only insect I had trouble with, were wasps, since I could not really catch them.
Anyway, if not for my parents, I'd still have some inside.

Level 22
@SCN; not literal cuts bro, not literal.
@Heinvers; Not just sweet things, they even carry dead roaches, dead rats, dead lizards, anything dead. Unless the dead are sweet...

Status
Not open for further replies.