• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Simple Texture operation won't work ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Hiho,

I have got a problem with editing a simple texture for my line tower wars map. I wanted to have a new ground splat for all of the towers in the map and had this ground splat which was too large - see screenshot for more details.

The only thing I had to do was to reduce the scaling of the image - no problem and did it with gimp2. However, as gimp2 can only edit png, tga, jpeg etc. and no blp files which are blizzard specific I had to convert it to a proper file type first - done. After editing my main problem was to convert it back to .blp. I know that there are a few tools for that but all of them don't work quite well. Warcraft3Viewer outputs only files with 0 bytes in size, another tool outputs only corrupted blp files ...

Can anybody here tell me how I finally can achieve to properly convert my edited .png file back to .blp so that it will show up in the game?

Thanks in advance!

Robbepop

edit: I forgot the screenshot ... T.T

rmmr.png

Last edited:
Level 23
Make sure the dimensions of the images are multiples of .. errr... 32? I kinda forgot. I remember though that the engine only accepts blp dimensions of 32x32, 64x64, 128x128, 256x256.. etc..

Maybe that's what is causing the problem.
I think it would also be better if you edit with .tga format. It's sorta the same with .blp but just not compressed. It also lets you keep alpha channels so, I think it's the best format to work with skins.

Level 11
thank you for your answer. it may sound confusing but as far as I have properly looked the working (and too large) texture splat is 133x133 big which is not a power of 2 dimension size ...

maybe I am wrong and just something silly happened. but I will try to scale my customized version of it to 128x128 and see if it works then.

Robbepop

Level 2
i'll write here to not make another thread
It is possible to add another texture to model (not to replace texture path in map editor but replace in model properties) without using Gmax or 3dsmax?
I tried to do it in Warcraft Model Editor but didn't work for me. It is just impossible or i just done something wrong(or used inappropriate tool)?

Status
Not open for further replies.