• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Show Your Current Workspace

Level 21
Macs are all the rage in bio-medical research labs. I'm not really sure why but in basically every university I've ever visited Macs are used for day-to-day data processing. Needless to say this fustrates the gamer side of me to no end, but I can at least still run stuff through Wine... Currently I'm enjoying Kerbal Space Program in my spare time at work and Dayz at home on a "real" computer. Yeah I got an email about it being my hive birthday and turned up expecting presents :p I don't spend too much time on FB but my life is basically a steaming pile of work with a distinct smell of stress. It'll be worth it when I publish my research article though, I'll make sure to link you a copy!

Level 36
Macs are all the rage in bio-medical research labs. I'm not really sure why but in basically every university I've ever visited Macs are used for day-to-day data processing. Needless to say this fustrates the gamer side of me to no end, but I can at least still run stuff through Wine... Currently I'm enjoying Kerbal Space Program in my spare time at work and Dayz at home on a "real" computer. Yeah I got an email about it being my hive birthday and turned up expecting presents :p I don't spend too much time on FB but my life is basically a steaming pile of work with a distinct smell of stress. It'll be worth it when I publish my research article though, I'll make sure to link you a copy!

Exactly, I hardly ever see you around anymore! I have a Macbook for work and even that drives me nuts. Can't imagine using an actual workstation. I do look forward to reading that article, I remember when you were naught but an upstart university student blowing folks' mind with SCIENCE on here. Happy Hive birthday :D

Level 36
Do remember to give me a shout if you are ever in the "real" London, I'll grab us a beer, or if you aren't into that, maybe a nice fruit juice or something.

YES. I was in Other London last summer actually, but was so insanely busy I barely got a chance to hang out with anyone outside of what I was there for! Nothing like a Fosters at a Weatherspoons at 11AM. Ah, England. Never change.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Heh, logitech M500. A pretty decent mouse, used to have it, well that is until I got G502. xD
I was not even aware of the model. They give me a mouse, it works, end of story :).
My workstation is (was) over by the swivvel chair and unfortunately I have to use a mac ugghhh -_- I'm actually not working in this lab anymore I've moved but you get the idea.
A mac? Awesome. I do everything I can on a mac, although they make me use a PC at work. I can use both pretty smoothly by now. I know all the shortcuts for both OSes :).
Do remember to give me a shout if you are ever in the "real" London, I'll grab us a beer, or if you aren't into that, maybe a nice fruit juice or something.

Waat I was in London late last year. I gotta remember this.

Oh and, awesome to see you back and posting, that's so cool!.

Level 34
Our London is real too GST! D :
(albeit far less interesting)

Good to see you around. Are you still in school/what is the research for?

Level 21
I won't be posting too much but it's been fun to say hi! I'm not actually living in London atm but I'll be moving back middle of next year once I finish in my current lab.

Giles, unfortunately I left school some time ago and I am out in the real world! I am currently researching into improving techniques to expand the prokaryotic genetic code:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expanded_genetic_code

The idea is to introduce synthetic amino acids into proteins in order to delineate their function. Such as making a particular protein coloured (fluorescent) in order to track it's position in a living cell. It's pretty cool stuff I think :D

Level 34
It sounds pretty nifty but, while I know those words, I don't really understand any of it. It's not covered in Philosophy or building roofs. :p

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
My little otherworld. Nothing's fancy but enough. :wink:

Actually, there is always some snacks at my desk so I can grab some anytime. But I got empty stock atm.

Attachments

• workspace.jpg
    workspace.jpg
    456 KB · Views: 180

Roland

R

Roland

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN0500.jpg
    DSCN0500.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 378
Last edited by a moderator:

Roland

R

Roland

Tablet: Audio Sonic 2014 (Bought from the Auction) + Using Autodesk Sketchbook Pro
Headsets: iWave, Blue Spin Rotatable DJ Headsets
Laptop: Acer 5733Z Laptop, Windows 7 - Home Premium (Not validated and Genuine)
Modem: Aztech Modem, BayanDSL WiFi (Fucked up modem, Broken WiFi For laptop, so I had to use a fucking LAN Cable.)

Fuck it, Enough with this techy talk, Here we go, My current work-desk.

DSCN0604.jpg

Edit: Is this me or I'm seeing my grandfather's Internet bills? O_O Fuck I just saw my home address D:

Level 5
This noob wants in too!

Yeah, I play on a pretty small laptop. The screen is a bit bigger than my fish bowl. I swear, the second I saw this at school, I just knew I had to post something. :goblin_good_job:

MyPlayspace.jpg

Attachments

• MyPlayspace.jpg
    MyPlayspace.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 123
Level 15
Yeah, it's going to be nice to have it all set up again. I've been limited to just 1 monitor and my TV in my current living situation. With the new apartment, I'll be able to use all of my monitors, plus my TV. You never realize how much you appreciate the extra screen real estate until it's all gone.

Level 15
Hehe sure. I have two monitors but I use them for two computers. One Windows computer I use when I work from home and when I play games (rarely).

At work I have two displays, to be honest I don't use two most of the time. I think I would rather have one huge display.

I have 2 at work, and it comes in handy often, though I often find myself wishing I had a third. That being said I would much prefer a single large 4k monitor as well (or something akin to this: http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34UM95-P-ultrawide-monitor)

Level 8
NSAW Workplace

This is where i create NSAW hahaha :D

arbeitsplatzrzkalq1xw5.jpg

Attachments

• arbeitsplatz.jpg
    arbeitsplatz.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 126

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Holy shit! :eek:

Those are gorgeous man!

Level 8
well i didnt tried to make manga myselfs yet. i made few comics a few years ago but lost them. maybe in future :) first i try to finish NSAW hahaha :D

Level 15
Alright, finally getting moved into my new apartment.

The picture is a bit fuzzy, as I just took a quick one with my phone and uploaded it to my google drive, so there's some compression and whatnot. But you get the idea.

Basic run down of stuff. (I omitted PC specs because I can't be bothered to type them up at the moment.)

3x25" Generic HP Monitors. Nothing amazing, but they get the job done. Next upgrade will probably be a 4k monitor.

Silverstone Fortress FT02 Case (honestly the best air cooling case I have ever used. I get really good temps, it's quiet, doesn't get dusty, and doesn't look like your typical UFO, lights everywhere gaming case. It's simple, clean and professional. Also, made entirely from Aluminum except for the plastic cover on top and the buttons for locking/unlocking CD/DVD drives on the interior)

Keyboard is a Das Keyboard Ultimate S with Cherry Blue switches. (Mechanical keyboard)

Headphones are a pair of AKG Q701 Studio headphones, run through a fIIo e10 headphone amp.

Behind the middle monitor is an extra little PC I use for testing Linux (CentOs 7 at the moment), Apache, Nginx, etc.

Oh, and I still need to move in my chair.

I still need to wall-mount the extra TV (a 42" that I got for free), and I won't have internet until the 9th. But hey, a place to live is a place to live.

Oh, and I got the Monster mini-fridge for free. It's currently empty, I definitely need to fix that...

Attachments

• 20141203_135146.jpg
    20141203_135146.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 151
Level 34
Dude, sick start to your setup. I've been looking at getting a new monitor, but life is just too expensive right now. Also I have way too many hobbies (just bought a new circular saw with which I will learn to build wooden shit!).

You gonna wall mount that TV behind your monitors?

Level 15
Yeah, I'll mount it to the left of the monitors a bit. Going to get some bean bags or some chairs or a couch of some sort for watching movies/playing on the Xbox or whatever.

The cool thing about this apartment is we don't have to pay for rent or utilities. My fiance and I are the Resident Assistant's of the place (it's an apartment complex for old people who don't want to bother with a house anymore. But it's not assisted living. They're just old.). We just call 911 in case of an emergency and lock the place up at night, and this apartment is our compensation. It's a nice place, and we're saving a ton of money. The only thing we pay for is internet, which is $35 a month. We're putting the savings towards school at the moment.

That's sweet with the circular saw. Gotta love word-working though. I just built a wooden sleeping platform for my SUV. I do a lot of backpacking/camping/general exploring. With the platform, I just fold the middle seats down, fold out the platform, and I have room to sleep. I'm about 6' 2", and it fits me fine. It's the perfect set up for expedition type adventures. Just load up the backpack, and I can drive/hike to pretty much anywhere I want. Plus, with sleeping inside, I don't have to worry about rain or anything.

Edit: For anyone who's interested, here are my PC specs. It's getting old, but my goodness, the X58 platform has held up extremely well. X79 is just a Side-grade, and X99 is just too expensive to justify at this point. I'm looking at swapping the good ol' i7 920 out for an Intel Xeon X5650 Hexa-core CPU, which should last me another 2 years or so, and it will only cost about $70. Just plop it in and go.

Silverstone Fortress FT02
Intel Core i7-920(D0)@3.66Ghz
ASUS X58 Sabertooth
Corsair H60
12GB OCZ DDR3@1600Mhz CAS 8
2x MSI Twin Frozr III HD 6950 2GB in CrossFire
Crucial M4 128GB SSD
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 750GB HDD
Corsair TX850 PSU
2xHP2509m 25" 1xHP2511x 25" Monitors

Level 34
That's sweet with the circular saw. Gotta love word-working though. I just built a wooden sleeping platform for my SUV. I do a lot of backpacking/camping/general exploring. With the platform, I just fold the middle seats down, fold out the platform, and I have room to sleep. I'm about 6' 2", and it fits me fine. It's the perfect set up for expedition type adventures. Just load up the backpack, and I can drive/hike to pretty much anywhere I want. Plus, with sleeping inside, I don't have to worry about rain or anything.
That's awesome. I also love backpacking and general outdoor shenanigans. What is the point of the platform? Do you use any sort of mattress, and if so, why not just fold the seats and lay the mattress over them?

I just slept outside the other night to test my gear. I didn't check temperatures during the night, but it was supposed to be ~ -10 C. I was fairly warm, but some improvements can be made. Hoping to do my first winter backpacking this year. I'm a fairly play-it-safe kinda guy, so I'm kind of nervous, but I know if I make sure I have the right gear I'll be good. Only issue is that most of the good backpacking around here has elevation gain and therefore much colder temperatures, especially at night.

Note: I know this is all OT, but fuck it, this is a social forum anyways.

Level 15
Hory fuck, its not just the case that's called fortress, the whole specs is the fortress! really nice build and lucky bastard for that free extra TV head.

Haha, thanks! Though admittedly, the PC is getting old as far as years is concerned. The i7 920 was released in late 2008, but it still holds its own to this day. I have had literally zero reason to upgrade since I purchased it, except for the occasional video card every once in a while.

Level 15
Yeah, the performance jumps from Nehalem to Sandy/Ivy Bridge and Haswell were marginal. Broadwell will only reduce power consumption, while Skylake is supposed to be the paradigm shift with DDR4 and the new architecture.

Level 15
Yeah, the performance jumps from Nehalem to Sandy/Ivy Bridge and Haswell were marginal. Broadwell will only reduce power consumption, while Skylake is supposed to be the paradigm shift with DDR4 and the new architecture.

Yeah. I briefly considered jumping to Haswell-E, but the cost simply isn't worth it at this point. Skylake and Skylake-E might finally be what I've been waiting for. In the mean time, as I mentioned earlier, I'm probably going to pick up a Xeon for cheap and plop it in. They're cheap, and it will at least give me a bit of a performance bump and help get rid of that annoying upgrade itch.

Level 3
Usually I'll clean my room and desk every 2-3 weeks, this image shows about 1 week worth of clutter.

First photo is my desk in its current state, second photo is my old studio setup (not its final setup, I ended up having to reposition the monitors and acoustic foam)

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 165
  • studioste.jpg
    studioste.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 178
Level 34
A) Totoro <3
B) You really like Oxy face cleanser?
C) You use a sanitizer for wiping the grim after posting here?

My new monitor is on it's way here. Next week I'll post a picture of my updated station/living room.