• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Connecting PC and TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Good afternoon everyone,

So i have a problem here. My parents recently bought a new TV, a Philips 42PFL7675H/12 (before anyone asks specific models :p), which should manage to connect with a PC and show media. It worked with my dad's laptop and also works for my mom's desktop, but it somehow will not connect with my laptop.

We have tried alot of things. We think the problem of this lies in the network infrastructure. Here is an image of Windows (7, 32-bit) showing the infrastructure.

Hive Network Problem.png

Now we think this might be our problem. I will describe our home situation a little:
We have a router, situated on our first floor. It is wireless but also wired. I have a cable going to my room, which is connected to my laptop when I am there, but right now we try to get it working on the TV, which is downstairs, so I only have wireless connection right now.
My mother is "directly" connected to the router with a wire. Her desktop is downstairs and using two devices that, as far as I can understand, connect over the net of electricity, she is connected to the router.
My dad's laptop is currently also downstairs but only connected wirelessly.
We have an acces point in our downstairs room, but use it only as Range Extender of the wireless network (don't ask why or how).

The TV has a dongel (idk if this is the right english word) hanging from it connected with a USB-connection.

The TV perfectly connects with my mom and dad, and plays the media as a charm, but doesn't seem to be able to connect to my computer.

As I said, we think it has something to do with the fact that i am, seemingly, not directly connected to the router.
I have perfect internet connection by the way, and connection with other computers is also flawless..

I hope I have given enough information for any of you to be able to help me, because I would like this to work, and not have to get my big video's on huge USB-sticks every time..

Thanks alot in advance!

Yixx.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You are using vista / Windows 7 right?

Make sure a firewall is not blocking your computer (networks that should be trusted are trusted).
Also make sure if you are using the homegroup functionality it is set correctly.

Also under network and sharing make sure you have enabled the required sort of file sharing.

Level 16
Yes, I am using Windows 7.

My firewall has been turned off for home and local use, temporarily,
Homegroup functionality is definitely set correctly,

and i think i have enabled the right sort of sharing, but I will take a look at that again..

But do you have any idea why I get some device between my computer and the router, while my dad, who also only connects wirelessly, doesn't?

Status
Not open for further replies.