• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Internet! Y U NO WORK?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Figure i may as well ask this here since you guys are obviously at least somewhat proficient with computers.

I recently upgraded my router. Every bit of technology is now connected to said router and the internet without any problems....accept my main desktop.

It is connected to the router and says it has internet access. Every once in awhile I can get a webpage to load but this is usually after a router/computer restart. Most of the time webpages just keep "loading" without turning up anything but blank space. Other than that, it will give me a "Secure Connection Failed" message error code:ssl_error_inappropriate_fallback_alert. I have used IE, chrome and firefox to no avail. I have reset firefox to it's original state and it still doesn't work. I have done a system restore (a long shot I know). I have reset the router to factory settings to try to get it to work. The factory reset worked briefly, until I changed the network name and password from their defaults. Among all this I have tried the different flushes and such with command prompt. Still, nothing.

It is worth noting that I am able to ping some outside sites (others give me a timeout) and the router itself. When I try to access the router from the computer though, it just loads forever and finally (20 minutes?) comes up with a connection was reset screen.

I am using a belkin play wireless usb adapter, windows 7 and a Apris TG862G/CT wireless gateway. The computer seemed to work fine until I changed the default network name and password on the router. The router is set to "low" firewall settings by default. I had originally changed it to medium but after the factory reset I just left it on low in hopes that would fix it.

Fun side note, I just tried to get into the router from this laptop and it is having a problem loading the page. Time out error.

Soooooo...any ideas?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Get a Ethernet cable and plug it from the router into your machine. Wireless connections are notoriously unreliable. Also try changing the default DNS to be Google as some times DNS issues prevent resolution of IP addresses and so make it appear that a connection failed. Also make sure your computer allows connecting to insecure sites (not just ones which support SSL).

Level 4
After some time on the phone with the tech support people and some basic troubleshooting (clear temp files, cookies) it started working for some reason. It is still very unstable though. It will work for 3-5 minutes and then start taking forever to load pages. This will usually resolve after ~30-60 seconds of loading. My problem is that I upgraded my router for faster internet. This just sucks. With my old router the wifi was solid, almost never cutting out.
I just got the router so I haven't considered a firmware upgrade.
During these periods it doesn't work VIA lan either. I am not able to connect to the router using my default gateway any more than I am able to connect to any other site.
I tried changing the DNS to google and I have tried refreshing the IP in the past.
I am running other computers with the same security stuff as this one but they are not having issues.
No SSL plugins that I know of (Is last pass one? If so I don't think it is the problem. Again, my laptop is running it no issues.)

Level 34
Well you've exhausted my knowledge. Also tells me your not really that worried since you don't feel like taking 2 minutes to make an account to get far more help than the handful of users here.

Level 4
I think i figured it out! I decided to disable the virtual wifi thing that windows 7 has and everything is working super now. I don't have any use for it so I don't really care that it is disabled. Anywho, thanks for the help folks!

Edit:
Nvm...didn't work. I believe it is time for a format. I love reformatting. Makes me feel like the inquisition performing an exterminatus. Purge the viruses, the bugs and the error codes! All will burn in holy fire!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.