• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Internet Why You No Work?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Here's the situation: I recently built myself a new computer using some of the parts from my old computer. After I finished, I decided it would be cool to take the remaining parts from my old computer and make them into a complete computer. Problem is, I didn't have an OS to put on the damn thing so I install an old windows xp that I found. This computer used to run on windows vista and I later upgraded it to windows 7.

So I get the thing all put together and set up, but when I go to connect it to the internet, nothing! I even have it plugged directly into the router with an ethernet cord. Still the damn thing won't connect. The computer is a compaq presario sr5710f with a different hard drive and a different IDE CD drive. everything else is the same, minus the wireless network adapter which I opted out of back in the day to save some cash. The OS is windows xp service pack 2 and the router is a belkin F7D4302 v1 . How do I get this damn thing connected to the internet?

Level 34
I recently had to retire my old mobo due to a broken ethernet port (it had other issues before so I figured things would just get worse if I tried to use a wireless card). It's a possibility.

Level 13
If it worked before and you didn't break it, I would bet it's the driver. Find out which motherboard you have (it usually stands on it), and then go download drivers for it from the manufacturers homepage, or maybe from compaq's homepage (if they still exist).

Status
Not open for further replies.