• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

HUGE Ping to Router

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
My friend is getting HUGE ping spikes on his internet. Pings can jump up to 100-2500 ms. Its a pain playing with him when he DCs or lags. I decided to take a look at it for him. He is on the wireless. The Ethernet appears to work ok. It seems to mostly work ok if he's the only one on the network at a time. We're using a 2.4Ghz router.

First thing I did was a ping to the router 192.168.1.1 -t within cmd. I noticed his average ping was about 10 ms. Every so often it would spike to 100 ms and sometimes upwards of the 2000's. This leads me to believe something is wrong with his own network, not the ISP. During all testing, I sat very close to the router for FULL signal strength.

The Network Setup

Pretty standard setup. 1 modem/router wireless N 2.4GHZ. 2 desktops plugged in via Ethernet, rest of mobile phones, laptops, etc using Wi-Fi. There are no second routers, repeaters or other fancy equipment on the network. Let me know if you need more info.

What Have I done?

Channels - I've tried using channels 1, 6 and 11. Changing the frequency range from 20 MHZ to 40 MHZ, even used other channels like 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, etc, with no luck.
Moving Router - Tried moving router in case of local EM interference to all different areas of the house. Even moved 10 meters away from the house with a long extension lead, but no luck.
New Router - His old router and his new router (bought 2 months ago) both have this problem. I even brought my router from my house which I know works, but the problem persists.
Played with settings - Tried using different wireless transmission speeds, changed some random settings like some websites suggested with no luck.
Firmware - No point mentioning this because its happening to all routers. But yes. The firmware is up to date.
Other Devices - We literally turned off everything that could use electromagnetic interference. Microwave isn't running, wireless phones were unplugged and batteries taken out. All wireless devices including TV, phones, and computers were disconnected from the router but (except mine for testing purposes), but pings were still averaging 10, jumping to 22, 44 and even the 100's. Come to think of it, we didn't actually put mobile phones in airplane mode so they were still connected to mobile towers, but.....surely not, lol.

What is the Ping actually like?

Most ping testing was done with nobody using the network (all other devices completely disconnected from the router). His ping could be at 1-2ms, but would frequently jump to 10 ms, and spike to 24 ms. Ocassionally (1-2 times per hour) it would spike to 100 or over.

Once during testing over a 4 hour period we got that deadly 2500ms ping. Other devices were connected at this time though.

I find his ping patterns very strange because we have full signal strength and there is no other network traffic at all. The ping at my house is always 1-3ms. I get no spikes. While loading videos, etc, my ping can spike to 6ms. I have several walls in between me and my router too! My friend's ping seems quite high.

What Could it Be?

Neighboring Interference - Using software to detect nearby networks, I can see there are a few networks in the area, all on channels 1, 6 and 11 (no overlapping channels), except for Telstra air on channel 4, which I believe is a national wireless network that Telstra has (an Australian ISP). I highly doubt other wifi networks are causing the problem though? My dad lives in an apartment block with several more nearby networks than this!

My Friend Lives on a Slab of Lead -
.........?

Any Ideas?

Does anyone have any ideas whats causing the issue and how to fix it? Of course we could try buying a 5 GHZ router to bypass possible interference, or using Ethernet, but the router positioning is poor for using Ethernet, and there's his family's mobile device dropouts to consider which Ethernet won't fix.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Any Ideas?
Interference. It can be anything from periodic illegal transmissions near the frequencies to noise pulses generated unintentionally. For example if any high powered mains device turns on/off to produce a spark then that spark can drown out the wifi signal with noise causing any number of latency inducing side effects. Not just a single packet might be corrupted, the entire physical connection might become corrupted for a period meaning that it has to be re-established, or enough time passes to resynchronize.

It could also be due to local congestion. Wireless connections have notoriously limited bandwidth that must be multiplexed with all available devices. What makes this even worse is that devices with poorer signal strength have to transmit/receive at a slower rate wasting potential bandwidth. All it would take is one very naughty/selfish wireless device, eg a laptop performing file sharing or someone streaming a lot of HD content, to consume all the available bandwidth. Once all available wireless bandwidth is in use buffers start to fill up throughout the network and so latency sky rockets.

In any case this is why you should never play games on a wireless internet connection. Sure it can work, but never as well or reliably as a wired connection.

One way around having to use Ethernet cables is to use a system known as Power Plug network. This uses special hardware to use the mains as a communication layer so a computer could connect to a local network from any mains socket within the nearby area (usually the house or apartment building). Depending on the quality of the mains wiring it can have a hundred meter or so range. Since it uses different frequencies and the mains it is often not subject to the problems with affect wireless. On the other hand it has its own share of problems coming from devices that produce poor power quality which might decrease signal to noise.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Honestly I do not know. If it still covers the frequencies which have interference spikes then I am guessing not as wireless probably does not cope well with non-constant noise (causes transmission errors which take at least 1 RTT with the router to fix).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.