• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Selling maps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
I really hope that wouldn't happen here in The Hive Workshop, or Blizzard would get this site on it's wanted list...

Level 49
Miss_Foxy, Blizzard will implement a map market place in SC2. You will have to pay to play 'Premium' maps. What exactly are those premium maps is not yet stated anywhere by Blizzard. Some say the users will decide if to make their map premium or not and Blizzard will have to approve it, some say Blizzard will just take the best maps and make them premium.

I really hope that each user could decide whether to make his map premium or not, though. Because I would hate it to have the best map to require payment. :/

Level 28
Miss_Foxy, Blizzard will implement a map market place in SC2. You will have to pay to play 'Premium' maps. What exactly are those premium maps is not yet stated anywhere by Blizzard. Some say the users will decide if to make their map premium or not and Blizzard will have to approve it, some say Blizzard will just take the best maps and make them premium.

I really hope that each user could decide whether to make his map premium or not, though. Because I would hate it to have the best map to require payment. :/
It would be pretty low of Blizzard if they pick the maps themselves.
Blizzard does have the power to do so, but enforcing someone to sell his map is a pretty low blow - especially for a company that is as big as Blizzard.

I hope it'll never work out, because no matter how advanced the editor is and how much work people put into creating a map: it stays fan-based and it's the main reason why I will buy SC2, the free custom maps.
Aside from that, Blizzard can expect a huge wave of noob-maps to deal with :p (new people who would like to sell their crappy map).

Level 14
Blizzard does have the power to do so, but enforcing someone to sell his map is a pretty low blow - especially for a company that is as big as Blizzard.

I hope it'll never work out, because no matter how advanced the editor is and how much work people put into creating a map: it stays fan-based and it's the main reason why I will buy SC2, the free custom maps.
Aside from that, Blizzard can expect a huge wave of noob-maps to deal with :p (new people who would like to sell their crappy map).

yeah i hope that does not happen, but i do hope that happens to dota rofl all the dota noobs have to pay ^.^

Level 19
But I'm not too sure about this... Like, wouldn't it be like World of Warcraft where you have to pay even after you Paid for your House, Paid for your Computer, Paid for the Game, Paid Internet Bills to get into Battle.Net and still have to Pay to play Games inside Battle.Net.

Level 28
But I'm not too sure about this... Like, wouldn't it be like World of Warcraft where you have to pay even after you Paid for your House, Paid for your Computer, Paid for the Game, Paid Internet Bills to get into Battle.Net and still have to Pay to play Games inside Battle.Net.
It won't be a monthly fee and I think that the price will not be too high either (about $2-10 depending on the quality, that's my guess at least).
Aside from that, over 99% of the games will be free (probably around 99.99999%).

But I am strongly against this idea as well, I would never have thought Blizzard do something like that and I am still not sure why they did it.

Level 9

it will be more like a window that pops up telling you that one of your maps gets selected and you can get it premium- which soab do not wants it?

Level 6
Well, I'm sure the author of the map map might at first, but nobody else would.

If I got asked, I'd say no. I care about map distribution and people being able to get their hands on it to play and have fun. (maybe it's just me)

It would simply cut the downloads on the map 90%, and would limit distribution of the map.

Which would suck for everybody.

Level 19
But I'm sure that whatever Blizzard does, there's always a good reason for it:)
Maybe it's because there's something that's good for us too!

It won't be a monthly fee and I think that the price will not be too high either (about $2-10 depending on the quality, that's my guess at least).
Aside from that, over 99% of the games will be free (probably around 99.99999%).

But I am strongly against this idea as well, I would never have thought Blizzard do something like that and I am still not sure why they did it.

I expect that they will put them at 0.20USD per month, to boost the developers of the maps. All money will be given to them.

Level 3
Well, the damage has already been done--just by looking at the overall design of the new map hosting system.

Level 22
+1 to DivineBoss

Yes Bnet 2.0 has turnt into a market, it's not a gaming service, the gaming service is just, 'oh btw let some use it for games'. If you ask me, such bullshit should never have been implemented. Pay to play a map, LOL, is this a game or some online market?

And if Blizzard choose what your map's price will be, that would be stupid. But on the other hand, so will be choosing a person whether his map to cost. It's kind of like - w00t loook at me, im so great, so I say 100$ for my map.

Well I for one wouldn't pay a single cent for a map. I don't care, I'm just disgusted by Bnet 2.0 and making it an online store. You know, you bash communism but perverted capitalism is even worse.

Level 28
TheTerran said:
And if Blizzard choose what your map's price will be, that would be stupid. But on the other hand, there are greedy bastards, the same greedy bastards that used beta keys to sell them on ebay, that would gladly make maps to cost.
There are always people like this.

I wouldn't mind paying for a large, very well-made campaign in SC2, I think I'll actually do that once it's available, but a single map? No.
I expect a premium campaign to be basically a completely new game with hours of interesting gameplay, a single map however is bound to a limited number of players in multiplayer and must contain a decent gameplay for every player, meaning that a really advanced RPG wouldn't be doable (yet possible).

Let's just see how far people can push the GE's boundaries first...

Level 3
+1 to DivineBoss

Yes Bnet 2.0 has turnt into a market, it's not a gaming service, the gaming service is just, 'oh btw let some use it for games'. If you ask me, such bullshit should never have been implemented. Pay to play a map, LOL, is this a game or some online market?

And if Blizzard choose what your map's price will be, that would be stupid. But on the other hand, so will be choosing a person whether his map to cost. It's kind of like - w00t loook at me, im so great, so I say 100$ for my map.

Well I for one wouldn't pay a single cent for a map. I don't care, I'm just disgusted by Bnet 2.0 and making it an online store. You know, you bash communism but perverted capitalism is even worse.

Kind of got to agree with ya there. Personaly I rather either find a steal the map and hack it or make a look a like copy before a paying a dammed cent to anyone of the said fools. (I think it would be fun to take their map idea that they have that they made exclusively for paying people only and redefine it free for the normal folk.)

To this buying idea for a map only for paying people only I call BULLSHIT, however adding an expansion pack thing that mostly people can live without is another story.

Level 11
The point of premium maps is not so that some average Joe with his crappy map can try and sell it and make a profit. Much more likely that groups of people will work together to create projects vastly beyond the scale or quality of normal maps, creating custom resources and all sorts of awesome stuff.

But whatever. Boycott premium maps if you want, its not like you won't be able to play maps normally. I'll likely buy premium maps if they are truly awesome, otherwise no.

Also, what makes you think that Blizzard is going to take peoples maps and force them to be premium against the users will?

Level 34
I hope that they put a price tag on a certain map: A Starcraft 2 version of DotA.

Because a) Dotards will cry, b) they are greedy too - they wont buy it and c) people will start playing more other kinds of maps other than DotA.

Level 22
Level 28
How do you determine if any game is good before you buy it?
Trials / reviews / trailers / playing at a friend's house? :p

I still rest my case: let's see how far people can push boundaries with this tool.
I've tested it out a few times and it's really advanced, but I have no clue how far professional coders can take a fan-based game to an almost real, seperate game.

The problem here is that Wintermaul Wars used to be highly advanced in... 2002, 2003 (no idea when it was first released), so let's say that the first premium map will be ready somewhere in 2011/2012, 5 years later the entire starcraft editing world might've changed and those premium maps could be crap considering those standards.
It's all a matter of how far we're now and how far we will be tomorrow, everything is relative.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
No map that will be sold can use this site to develop / advertise due to the site rule violation (this is not a commercial site).

Also most maps will not be of comercial quality. I am sure blizzard will only charge for total overhauls (if the maker wants so) and for campaigns with worthy content (a 20 mission campaign with quality equal to or better than theirs could be paid content).

I do not see DotA, loap or any such map ever being worth of being pair for and thus it will not be.

Level 3
How do you determine if a map is awezum enough to make it payable? I sense you are trying to oppose to everything I say everywhere..

Well I got two things to say about that.
One their will probly be lots of things which could possible point to it being "A Good Map" (Does not mean if its good you will like it.)
And two being this: I reject your reality and replace it with my own!

Level 34
Third thing I'd like to point out.

When they turn the mapworld into a mapmarket, then there is a 100% chance scammers will make an intro.

Wasting your 1 credit on a SC2-DotA map which is just an empty map.

Level 22
In other words this map market is just another crap of the failed service called Bnet 2.0. Look at it, it's all about money, commercialized aka facebook, ads, no longer focused on gaming...

Well I hope Garena can make SC2 playable, not sure if possible since it uses virtual lan based on the normal lan i think

Level 11
Dont flame me, but I WOULD pay a low amount for a quality map. But only if its clearly a quality map, and if a significant portion goes directly to the developer. If their was indication it was a money scheme, no. The whole system would have to be VERY WELL designed for me to play into it.

I WOULD sell my maps, but lets be real here, I probably wouldn't make anything with such quality that people would buy them. I'm not banking on my map talents adding up to success.

Level 28
Dont flame me, but I WOULD pay a low amount for a quality map. But only if its clearly a quality map, and if a significant portion goes directly to the developer. If their was indication it was a money scheme, no. The whole system would have to be VERY WELL designed for me to play into it.
This is nothing to flame you for :p
Though I would still rather buy a really well-made campaign than a custom map (my opinion).
And if a single map would cost $2 (just to set a price on it), then I wonder how much a 20-map campaign would cost... ($15 is already a bit much, or not?)

Antibodies said:
I WOULD sell my maps, but lets be real here, I probably wouldn't make anything with such quality that people would buy them. I'm not banking on my map talents adding up to success.
I must say that it is tempting.
Not just anybody receives a mail from Blizzard to say that you have created a map that is ranked amongst the best of maps and that you can earn money with it.
I'd still refuse though (yes, NOW I say so :p), but that chance is non-existant, I'll never be even remotely good enough for such an opportunity.

Level 22
So do you think payed maps will be played? No1 will play them cause no1 will want to waste money on it, If someone agrees, he becomes one of 3. congrats you will be playing with another 2 that decided to by the map. Fail system

Do you know what map they will pay for? If Dota is created and becomes so popular that every1 plays it, then many will buy it.

Level 28
So do you think payed maps will be played? No1 will play them cause no1 will want to waste money on it, If someone agrees, he becomes one of 3. congrats you will be playing with another 2 that decided to by the map. Fail system
I think they will be played, yes.
I'm not saying I'm going to buy them, but some people would even spend hundreds (and even thousands) of dollars on a crappy game (I know someone who spent over $8.000 on the 2,5D-game, Conquer).

There are some who just don't care enough to NOT pay the money.
There will probably even be people who will buy ALL premium maps.

TheTerran said:
Do you know what map they will pay for? If Dota is created and becomes so popular that every1 plays it, then many will buy it.
Unfortunately :|

Level 11
This all really depends on how Blizzard implements it. It could be a big hit and many people would pay for maps/campaign. Or it could be BS and it will receive little attention.

But when you look at it, 2.5 million people bought the map pack for MW2 for 15 bucks. 1 map for 3 bucks. This is NOT a direct translation to Starcraft, im comparing Apples and oranges. BUT, they are both fruit.

Level 40
Most people will publish free maps. Some idiots will try to premium publish bad maps. Some good modding teams may premium publish exceptional-quality maps/mods that would not otherwise be created. Blizzard of course deserves a cut of such sales since they wrote the engine, the game, and the editor, not to mention the artwork, the gaming service, etc. I find it bizarre that you people think that it's reasonable to buy a game for $60 but not buy a (good) map for a dollar or two, when you will probably play that map as much as some single player FPS (or more).

I for one welcome this change.

Level 15
Before I start i must say PurplePoot is right in all aspects he mentioned, IMO. There will be a view large modding teams that will be pumping out quite a few maps but they will have 1 main map/campaign that they will work on for a 1-2 years that will be quality enough to be premium. I know from personal experience because I'm part of one of these teams and that is our plan. Also notice i said will be quality enough to be premium not that we want it to be premium. Speaking for the team I'm on we might not even charge people for it but have a donation system on our website instead. This is a valid solution because some people will ALWAYS donate, we won't make as much but it still is something.

As PurplePoot said of course Blizzard deserves a cut. Lets say you work on making a engine for YEARS and people are gonna use it to make a ton of maps. Would you just hand it out for free? Get real and don't say you wouldn't, people have to make a living. You may be rich and not need the money and will say no you wouldn't charge for it. but for the rest of us normal people who have to make a living we would charge for it.

I don't know why everyone is making a fuss over paying a 1-3 dollars for a quality map. You payed for:
the computer that can run Sc2. ($900-$5000)
the internet. ($20-$50 a month)
the game. ($60)
yet your gonna whine about paying a dollar to play your favorite map and rather boycott the whole system?

Level 11
Finally some pro-Paying people. If you look at it many of us paid between 10-40 bucks for Warcraft 3, and got 4-8 YEARS worth of entertainment. I definitely got my moneys worth from buying Warcraft 3, and I expect this will be the same for Starcraft 2. I think they deserve some extra money from us (cut of premium maps).

Last edited:
Level 3
I don't know why everyone is making a fuss over paying a 1-3 dollars for a quality map. You payed for:
the computer that can run Sc2. ($900-$5000)
the internet. ($20-$50 a month)
the game. ($60)
yet your gonna whine about paying a dollar to play your favorite map and rather boycott the whole system?

o_O' My computer costs less than that, However back to the point people have the attendance to have more money than brains Example being facebook games.

But that does not mean that maps will be sold off left and right faster than dropping flys, the maps will either have to be cheap or clearly good (Like you look at the name and you know its just going to be a good map)

Also I think if blizzard was wanting to make money of this they would choose the maps upon user request Of course. And for those that have fancy good maps that sell but do not have, say paypall they may make it to where they could still spend on blizzard products via your account.

Level 11
If Blizzard wanted to make money, they would require people to ask Blizzard to support their map as premium and then only accept to very best of the best. This way, people know that if a map is premium, it is premium because it is that good, and people are more likely to buy them. Much more idiotic for them to accept shovelware so that people feel "oh, this map is probably just another stupid waste of money".

In short, if they pull off the system correctly, you would be able to buy maps created by professional developers for the price of a few dollars. Quite the good deal, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Level 20
I think the premium map system is actually a good idea. It should stimulate developers into making really great quality maps and campaigns, and I'd definitely spend a few dollars on a truly excellent map... especially considering the huge variety of gameplay that GE maps can offer already.

Status
Not open for further replies.