• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Round Table of Arkain

Level 10
Nice change for the Hunt for Riches mission Shar,
playing as Amari with a pre-Brian skillset was quite the interesting thing to do. May Sasrogarn be an eternal loser.

And another note... Largoth is bald now! Okay, I should rather say, hornless, since all Dreadlords are bald, but now I can't unsee/ignore it anymore. For some reason, I find this hilarious.

Level 7
61) Will characters present in both first and second books inherit skills and stats between the two periods in the True Story?
I am actually not 100% sure about this yet. On one hand, I would like them to keep experience, skills and stats but at the same time that would mean that we are going to end up with people playing like half of the campaign with level 10 heroes against level 10 heroes as I am not going to increase the max level for heroes.
I am not absolutely sure yet.

How difficult it would be to do this would depend on how many missions most heroes will have.

I recall many heroes being able to gain 2 levels in a mission in the FHB and SHB, so changing from 2 to 1 can allow to stretch out the progression.

Another approach would be to have some missions where the level actually stays the same, but you keep previous skills/stats/items. There is no strong reason why a hero needs to get stronger from mission to mission after all, the biggest reason to still give 1 level up when possible is for the flexibility of putting a spell point in a spell relevant for the current mission.

I personally wouldn't mind lvl 12 or so heroes with tweaks so they are not really more powerful than current lvl 10 heroes, but that would involve additional work to set up and balance so it's your call really.

In many Arkain missions, the base units play a major role, and I'm not calling to make them less relevant compared to heroes. If anything, it would be the opposite.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
I recall many heroes being able to gain 2 levels in a mission in the FHB and SHB, so changing from 2 to 1 can allow to stretch out the progression.

Another approach would be to have some missions where the level actually stays the same, but you keep previous skills/stats/items. There is no strong reason why a hero needs to get stronger from mission to mission after all, the biggest reason to still give 1 level up when possible is for the flexibility of putting a spell point in a spell relevant for the current mission.
The issue with no level ups in some missions would be that feeling that the hero didn't really gain anything unless of course there would be some items to fill in that gap.
The issue with levelling up is that it usually happens before midgame and that leaves out nothing for the hero to gain in the rest, most of the chapter.

One thing to do is to implement abilities or item abilities or something of the sort that scale with attributes so if levelling up isn't an option anymore, the hero can become a bit more stronger by finding some items on the way to accomplishing the mission.

Level 7
The issue with no level ups in some missions would be that feeling that the hero didn't really gain anything unless of course there would be some items to fill in that gap.
The issue with levelling up is that it usually happens before midgame and that leaves out nothing for the hero to gain in the rest, most of the chapter.

One thing to do is to implement abilities or item abilities or something of the sort that scale with attributes so if levelling up isn't an option anymore, the hero can become a bit more stronger by finding some items on the way to accomplishing the mission.

I didn't expand on how to manage this, because I still think a slight bump to the max level would be a good idea if balanced to not make heroes noticeably stronger compared to base units.

If the level up is deemed to happen too fast, options include reducing the xp gained with kills and increasing the xp required to lvl up, so that it happens later in the mission.

I agree that in a mission without any lvl up, having some nice items somewhere to still make the hero stronger could be welcome.

Level 16
@Shar Dundred yeah I think being able to look at the different armies in the faction list would be nice 8like being able to see the beartribes,the clans, the undead nexuses etc) I love the new models, the Goldaxe one looks as I imagined him and the Skullblade one is also nice, especially with the weird mouth thing. Also I guess the undead will get the same thing as the orcs and the humans but instead it will be the different undead nexuses.
That's exactly what makes Arkain exciting hha. Undead nexuses are perhaps the most worthy to play (my fav race tho) though we weren't able to play as much but hopefully in the future. The one that really interested is Kezzar nexus (undead demons) where we could train units other than deathguards and icekeepers. Those are expected: undead felhound, undead eredar warrior, undead eredar sorcerer, undead doomguard, undead infernal (could be infernal filled with death magic), undead succubus, undead voidwalker (could be more Spirit Legionnare-like), undead pitlord (either as a unit or hero), and, of course, undead dreadlord (as demi-hero).

Level 4
orcs.png

@Shar Dundred you said I was wrong about grumush and that I had the wrong universe but imma hit you with the official stuff you wrote dawg.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Hahahaha, okay my bad. I honestly forgot the name of that continent when answering that question.
My apologies, the 200 questions got my brain. I was reading Gruumsh and thought it was something from DND.
I am able to accept that I made a mistake there & apologize for making you feel uneasy about it.

I have edited my answer and will repeat it here:
195) Will we ever get a map where we play as a orc clan on Grumush before they left or even have a return to Grumush?
MAYBE in the distant future. It's, uhm, not in the best state.

Level 4
Thank you, also about the mok'nathal question i asked i didn't want you to add mok'nathal but wondered if a race like that could be made since many fantasy worlds have half orc and ogre creatures (ogrillions from dnd and ogre-kin from pathfinder) so I wondered if that was true in arkain since most of the time orc and ogre mixed races are pretty weird and interesting @Shar Dundred

Level 10
Nothing Aridon cant resurrect :D
Although any race he cant manipulate hed probably try to wipe out or enslave (poor nerubians didnt deserve this fate).
Will there be any info on how and why the nerubians ended up as corpse slaves?

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Last edited:

Kasrkin

Hosted Project: LoA
Level 26
Well, that was a lot of bugs. Our old friend Clash in the Forest is coming together nicely.... finally.

Kasrkin

Hosted Project: LoA
Level 26
The plans/suggestions I made for the new fresh breeze map are evil, I hope you're proud of me Shar. I'm looking for that pre-nerf Kome/Toran kind of feel.

Level 19
The Ejara nexus was my favourite nexus since the First images of the fortress, then the short stories and now this. They have some sort of fly-nerubians insect and the icewind orcs enslaved, i suppose the sludges are their newest addition.

The Zirr nexus is quite interesting too.

And the Rohir nexus have even dwarves and undead grypphon riders in their ranks.

Also, the nexus seems to have better or worse relations between then, however they serve the same purpose and they won´t let their minor relations affect their effectiveness.

Level 16
Just glimpsed true story album and finally tasted spoilers for all undead. (Everybody loves undead. No pun intended:ogre_haosis:). Ejara finally shows playability. Wanna play as Zirr to overwhelm enemies with pure magic. (Unless magic immunity happens to be pain in the ass). Rohir finally shows brute force... time to test strength. In the meantime, others will be revealed (generosity for being not a spoiler xD).
@Shar Dundred keep it up!

Level 16
New discoveries:
Splecir nexus- oh cold specter army never bothered me anyway. Those val'kyr units are the newest addition. Wanna mass them and sow death on the battlefield.
Ardoz nexus- undead chimaera and faceless one-like construct? Quite... creative. Even their torture methods are creative.
Scarec nexus- oh plaguebringer looking down there. Don't worry. Once it's released, gonna command more of your kind. Show your worth.
@Shar Dundred another perfect sneak peek. Three more remains. :vw_love:

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 19
Splicer nexus- The Ghost Army
Ardoz Nexus- I love those skins, that faceless one construct and that machine? dont know, they are gorgeus.
Scarec nexus- Our old skeleton boys

So i suppose that Saint Loraine and the angelics that the nexus kill are now part of the Ethereal because is said: It is said that the master of the living dead is interested in bolstering the ranks of the
Splecir Nexus with new devoted members.

What? there is 3 more nexus? I thought just Lenira and Kezzar were left, i´m looking for a navy nexus that hates everything that isn´t on a boat.

Level 16
Splicer nexus- The Ghost Army
Ardoz Nexus- I love those skins, that faceless one construct and that machine? dont know, they are gorgeus.
Scarec nexus- Our old skeleton boys

So i suppose that Saint Loraine and the angelics that the nexus kill are now part of the Ethereal because is said: It is said that the master of the living dead is interested in bolstering the ranks of the
Splecir Nexus with new devoted members.

What? there is 3 more nexus? I thought just Lenira and Kezzar were left, i´m looking for a navy nexus that hates everything that isn´t on a boat.
No. Three including Kezzar, Lenira, and new one (don't wanna spoil).

Level 22
Gary is the kind of person who would want each Demonic Legion to get extra variety in their tech-tree later on just to make the player's experience much more difficult. Absolutely preposterous.
On topic, the full Kezzar Nexus looks like a fun faction to play as.
The Daviliad Nexus is just like the elves In the FHB and SHB. You neither want to play as them or have them as your allies, but they will be given to you regardless. :p

Level 19
Gary is the kind of person who would want each Demonic Legion to get extra variety in their tech-tree later on just to make the player's experience much more difficult.

We all love Gary.

The Daviliad Nexus is just like the elves In the FHB and SHB. You neither want to play as them or have them as your allies, but they will be given to you regardless.

You are right, i think is the only nexus i dont want to play with. Maybe they are even worse than the Dark elves and that was something quite difficult.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
We all love Gary.
Think I will keep him in the box for a bit.
Don't want to overuse him.
First step towards playable Demons for you all. :p
The Daviliad Nexus is just like the elves In the FHB and SHB. You neither want to play as them or have them as your allies, but they will be given to you regardless.
You are right, i think is the only nexus i dont want to play with. Maybe they are even worse than the Dark elves and that was something quite difficult.
I mean it is Keera's Nexus, so.... :p

Level 16
Gary is the kind of person who would want each Demonic Legion to get extra variety in their tech-tree later on just to make the player's experience much more difficult. Absolutely preposterous.
The Daviliad Nexus is just like the elves In the FHB and SHB. You neither want to play as them or have them as your allies, but they will be given to you regardless. :p
Kezzar is badass indeed.
If there are undead Walkyries in Keera's nexus, then it might shift the situation:grin:

Level 10

Think of it that way. Even Undead need disposable cannon fodder meant to die/be destroyed doing the thankless tasks, and so more valuable units, like... Skeleton Shieldguards, for instance, can be preserved for more important missions.

And this this most not noble task is the eternal and most unglorious purpose of the Daviliad Nexus. Be thankless for their sacrifice, it is the only thing of note about them.

Level 19
Think of it that way. Even Undead need disposable cannon fodder meant to die/be destroyed doing the thankless tasks, and so more valuable units, like... Skeleton Shieldguards, for instance, can be preserved for more important missions.

Easy solution, send their rotten corpses to the Ardoz Nexus, tear the flesh apart, transform them into Skeleton and then send to the Kezzar nexus to being instructed into proper undead soldiers.

Also the living Dark elves can be used as disposable cannon fodder, they´ll fight twice after being reanimated.

I mean it is Keera's Nexus, so.... :p

Best mom have worst army? Nonsense, Best Dad of the century had the best army of the century.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
The messages he sends will certainly be more... impactful when delivered while wearing these stylish clothes.
And Rahandir is going to send some regards sooner or later.

Speaking of regards:
The Golden Guard sends its regards from the future, bringing new fashion in addition to their
already established look for future heroes that will be added when the time is right.
Special thanks to @Galadgod for providing the original models. I did some slight edits to remove
unrequired animations & reduce file size to a quarter - without harming the overall quality!
Can't have the Golden Guard not showing their best, they gotta shine.
full

Level 3
I've read the lore given in Clash in the forest mission carefully and can say that there is more questions then answers. The most intresting in my opinion are Orders of magic. We know about Order of the Flame and almost defunct Order of the Lightnings, but as soon as every kingdom has (or had) its own Order there must be at least five more. What are these Orders? Do Imperials have their own magic schools? Whether Harmoses's Order of the Flame ( or any other Order) will be playable faction (like regiments)? Yave to add, that it was really intresting to play against these unique fractions in the Second Orc Book.

Level 6
I've read the lore given in Clash in the forest mission carefully and can say that there is more questions then answers. The most intresting in my opinion are Orders of magic. We know about Order of the Flame and almost defunct Order of the Lightnings, but as soon as every kingdom has (or had) its own Order there must be at least five more. What are these Orders? Do Imperials have their own magic schools? Whether Harmoses's Order of the Flame ( or any other Order) will be playable faction (like regiments)? Yave to add, that it was really intresting to play against these unique fractions in the Second Orc Book.

There are 3 in the story: The Order of Fire in Rengar, the destroyed Order of Lightning in Isalmur, one of the members is Taray, and the destroyed Fallen Mage Guild in Toran, which was betrayed to the Undead.

There is one instance you can play as Order of the Flame, that is remnants of them and liberate the HQ from the Demons.

Imperials sure has magic schools, that is why they have different mages. But Necromancy, Shadow Skills and Demonology are taboo on the Empire.

Level 19
There is one instance you can play as Order of the Flame, that is remnants of them and liberate the HQ from the Demons.

You were playing as Royal Army. Because you had Vail as Commander.

Pirru probably had a Water or sea order. They were the ones fighting the Orcs in the sea, so having that type of mages would be a advantage.

Level 16
Toran probably had Arcane or Elemental order, judging from what we encountered in SHB mission. Lor might had Necromancy order fitting the theme of plagued forest or Sea, since its forest is named as "Pearl of Lor". Rengar have Flame. Not sure about Kerrel, but according to short story, it might be Light or some variant of it (Inquisitors). Isalmur had Lightning. Pyrru is questionable, but Water one seems likely. Salria has knights, but if there is magical order, Earth or Air theme looks more suitable.