• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Roller Coaster Beta v.07

350tcnd.jpg
About
Build and Ride Roller Coasters. 1-7 players.
Not Locked, Made In GUI.

Game Modes

Free Build
Build and ride roller coasters.

Ai Challenge
An Ai Unit Request a coaster to be built, and the best coaster wins.

Features

Builder

Build Your Coaster
  • Place/Remove Tracks
  • Finish Coaster
  • Builder Rules
  • Auto Flat-ing
Customize Your Coaster
  • Track Color Changer
  • Track Model Changer
  • Name Your Coaster
Other
  • Full Coaster Stats
  • Full Camera System

Rider

Riding the Coaster
  • First Person View
  • Third Person View
  • Physics
  • Speeds over 1000ms

Other

Help
  • Game Intro Showing Major Basics
  • Question Mark Unit
  • Tips
  • Quest Menu
Conversions
  • Game Shown In MPH

Videos

Riding a Coaster

Explaining Game In Detail

Screen Shots

Building A Coaster

35mpml3.jpg

A Built Coaster

qyejih.jpg

A Built Coaster (Colors Off)

24pi982.jpg

Riding A Coaster First Person

23ixa9i.jpg

Riding A Coaster Third Person

28t8769.jpg

Project Group
Lead
Rover2341

Game Concepts, Game Modes
Rover2341
cheap_skank

Triggers
Rover2341
risk_fan2 (Physics Engine)

Art(2D)
Fat-Bum (Icons)
lindenkron (Skins)

Art(3D)
Mario_64
Bloody_Turds

Testers
supa-pimp
decus
kittix
danmanlo
Daskunk

Change Log

Beta .01-.07
*Ai Challenge Mode
*Controls are much more limited when you start but you can turn on advanced controls
Like being able to go upside down.

Old Change Logs

Version Alpha 2.7d
*Collision is 100% perfect now (You cant make tracks go into other tracks)
*You can now go to 150, instead of 200 as min speed.
*Many Bugs involving Players quitting mid game.
*Removed A unit that came out of reds coaster, that shouldn't have
*When players leave there units leave
*Player 3, had some Building issues, been resolved.
*Question Mark Has been Readded For all players but 6-7. (That will come at some point)
*Shows How many Tracks you've Built in the food section.

Version Alpha 2.7c
*Physics Have been greatly redone.
*Start Speed is Min speed. 200.
*Bug Fixed where cart would appear during ride and move it
*Question Mark Has been Disabled as Player 6,7 isn't built for it.
*Other Minor Bug Fix's.

Version Alpha 2.7b
*Gravity Has been increased by 100%
*Min Speed has been decreased by a bit.
*Build over 60% Higher Then before.
*Flags have been added to add to the feeling of moment.
*The Question Mark has been revamped and re-enabled.
*Less Flipping
*Stats Fixed on all Players.

Version Alpha 2.7a
*7 Players
*Build up to 1000 Tracks (Increase of nearly 100%)
*Minor Bugs Fixed

Version Alpha 2.7
*Fixed All Major Bugs, With Riding and building.
*Enhanced Rider Cart, To stay on Tracks (Flips Much less, but still some)
*Increased Min Speed by 100 MS, and Increased Start Speed by 50 MS.
*Smoother Rider Camera
*20%+ More Build-able Tracks
*Updated Physics Engine (added , G forces)

Version Alpha 2.6a
*Fixed Stats (Required a Tweak because of Physics engine)
*Fixed bug with "? mark"
*Updated and Fixed a minor bug in Quest Menu
*Fixed Camera Issues when on other players coasters
*Fixed Leek in show speed function

Version Alpha 2.6
*New Physics Engine
*Removed All Major Leaks (Jass is used for the leaks)
*Increased Max Speed
*Increased Start Speed
*Improved Rider Camera
*Rebuilt Several Other Functions Of The Rider (Much Cleaner Code)
*Fixed All known Bugs
*Added Functionality When Riding Others Coasters.
*Updated Quest Menu
*No Lag when clicking on spells for first time

Version Alpha 2.5a
*Added Color to Hot Key
*Revamped First Person Rider. (You should see the tracks better when turning)
*Lowered start speed and how fast you slow down/speed up on hills.
*Fixed Holes in park (You cant walk in peoples coaster area now)
*Fixed bug when riding others coasters
*Rare Tips Error Fixed
*Music Added
*More miss spelled words fixed.
*Fixed small terrain issues
*Removed Debug Text

Version Alpha 2.5
* New Terrain
* Park Coaster (A Roller Coaster That's in the center of the map for anyone to ride)
* Ability to ride others coasters
* Rider Slightly tweaked (Looks at tracks better)
* Improved Tool Tips (No More "Rotates xy angle...")
* Added a Unit that you can wounder the park with
* Fixed Speed issue (They used to start slow the first run, and then fast after. now they always start fast)
* Several Small Bug Fixes
* Several miss spelled words fixed.

Version Alpha 2.4

* Pick between 3 track models (1 New, and the old model brought back)
* Change the color of your tracks
* Cart Model Added
* Rider Camera Reworked (Much Better now)
* Fixed Coaster Stats
* Question Mark Unit added, to help new players to expert players.
* Loads of tweaks.
* All known Bugs Fixed.

Version Alpha 2.1 - 2.3
*Rebuilt 95% of every line of code and trigger, So it could be played by 1-4 players (very easy to change to 8 now)
(This was not easy.....It adds one more layer of complexity)

Version Alpha 2.0

*Added Skin To Track. (looks all wooden now, more warcraft like)
*Almost All new Icons.
*Better Tool Tips. (They still need some work)
*Added Hot Keys.
*Better Tips.
*You now speed up and slow down 50% faster. And start off faster. (It doesn't feel so slow anymore)
*Coaster Stats Updated
*Fixed Some Bugs And few more minor updates

Version Alpha 1.9

*Sky
*Larger area to build in
*Minor Terrain work
*Improved Stats For Roller Coaster
*Colored Stats
*Re did parts and added some functionality to the builder
*add functionality to the rider
*Re did Physics
*Tips (can be turned off)
*Revamped Quest Menu.

Version Alpha 1.7

*The Camera has been updated. and now doesn't crash. Also has more features.
*Its more easy to finish your coaster now.
*The Rider Function has been much improved. (That includes the rider cam, the cart moving on the tracks more correctly and a few others things)

Version Alpha 1.4
*Started map over from scratch, Official first release of it.
*Many if not most of the features from version Build 1.0-20 were not re-added,
for sake of making it easy to learn to play.

Version Build 1.0-2.0
*Proof of concept map
*Fully Working Builder Function
*Concepts of the rider were in place
*Many reworks of the controls, to find the easiest way for new players.

Keywords:
Roller Coaster Customize Ride Build
Contents

Roller Coaster Beta v.07 (Map)

Reviews
17:45, 21st May 2009 by bounty hunter2: Approved with a 3/5 (Useful) rating. You can find my full review at post #29.
Level 12
Ill Check in to those bugs. And Stats button should still be there. I think your referring to when you open your coaster you cant click on Stats. I Figured when you open your coaster, I would remove all the functions besides closing the coaster and the camera. But perhaps it should stay when you open your coaster.

On my current build those bugs about the removing the rider or getting ect riders is gone. It should be out in 2-7 days from today.

Edit*

Updated Game! :)

Last edited:
Level 2
Awesome map. My friends really liked it and are quite curious to see the release of the minigames in the center of the park. I just finished trying the latest, 2.6. I managed to get my rider to disappear. First, I completed a track to test out the new physics (awesome physics), then I opened the coaster. Next I pressed the expert tutorial (because I did this once before and I wanted to see if it was fixed), I knew it would delete my track and it did, and my coaster was open with no tracks. I put my rider on it and i could ride it while editing the tracks. When he finished I put him on it again even though the roller coaster wasn't complete, and this time I closed the coaster when he was on it, and he didn't come out again. It also started asking me if I wanted to clear my tracks every time I pressed open or close on the coaster.

Again, awesome game, and the glitch where you can ride while editing is funny. Losing the rider isn't as funny. Good work, can't wait for next update.

P.S. I have a folder in my maps folder called Latest Coaster Map just for your map :)

Level 18
Wow, I think it's the coolest thing that you created (basically) Roller Coaster Tycon for Warcraft III. I can't wait to see where this goes. The video makes it look easy and fun to create.

I loved playing it and will definitely be hosting this on battle.net.

However I have one criticism from the short amount of time that I played...

There should be designated tracks that can carry the cart uphill, and the physics should be more realistic if the cart hits uphill at too slow speed and can't climb it. I know you're still in alpha and there is a lot you probably have planned, but I'd like to see this is a feature in the future.

Lastly, do you plan on creating terrain that is more of a theme park atmosphere?

Great job, 5/5 because this map is already great and I can tell will only get better and better.

Level 12
Woodgie Thanks for point out the bugs. And that's pretty cool you got a folder just for roller coaster.

First, I completed a track to test out the new physics (awesome physics), then I opened the coaster. Next I pressed the expert tutorial (because I did this once before and I wanted to see if it was fixed), I knew it would delete my track and it did, and my coaster was open with no tracks. I put my rider on it and i could ride it while editing the tracks. When he finished I put him on it again even though the roller coaster wasn't complete, and this time I closed the coaster when he was on it, and he didn't come out again. It also started asking me if I wanted to clear my tracks every time I pressed open or close on the coaster.

Fixed, I got a few other things I did to tie up first but then ill update it. V2.6a should be soon. this week most likely.
It was just the bug about the ? mark messing things up right? I think that one bug allowed all those other things to go wrong.

Tleno, I have plans for stuff like this but it wont be for some time.

Ill tell you more about what i have plans when i get closer to it.
And will you be able to build something except roller coasters?
Prehaps where you can add and remove things like trees or elements or change your terrain or sorts. But its too far along for that at the moment to be able to tell.

Dark Night, Good to hear that someone with a such a high quality map like yours things that my game is decent, even if its still got more work to go.

There should be designated tracks that can carry the cart uphill, and the physics should be more realistic if the cart hits uphill at too slow speed and can't climb it.

Well what i figured was that when you go to slow you get pulled. In other words even though you don't see it but when ever you need pulleys they are placed on the tracks.

As for making it so you pick when they go in or not, i feel would rise the learning curve to high. But I have heard this suggestion just one too many times. So ill figure something out, maybe add sound when your being pulled so people can tell your on a pulley and/or a model.

Lastly, do you plan on creating terrain that is more of a theme park atmosphere?

Well Yes and no. Yes I hope to get someone who has terrain talent as most everyone says my terrain skills suck, to do some work on the map at some point. But its really not my area of skills.

Anyone Finding Bugs And Wants to report them

Either just type them in a MSG here or even better in the bug section in the hosted forums section. But if you can get a replay of it happening. It will be very useful. Even better if you could get a replay just long enough to show what your doing and and type what your doing as you go. My Email is [email protected]

Last edited:
Level 6
Wow great great very good work
But there are some bugs in the map!

Positive:

- Create/ride roller coasters
- Ride!!!
- Awesome idea

Negative:

- Only 1 place for each player where he can build only 1 roller coaster to build a new delte old
- Mh map get's a little boring after some time-> Hope the minigames will fix this
(Idea:) - Maybe you can add rankings of the minigames? Contest!!! The one with the highest points/ best result perpetuates in the map?
- Bugs!

Bugs:
- Pictures:
Sometimes strange things appear on the map
- Sometimes the players can`z build anymore see pictures 2+3
- Argh damn I have no time more-> write if you don`t understand something

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_053009_125939_03.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_053009_125939_03.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 121
  • WC3ScrnShot_053009_125845_02.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_053009_125845_02.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 76
  • WC3ScrnShot_053009_125841_01.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_053009_125841_01.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Level 6
I find a new bug:

I want to ride the roller coaster of somone, after I went in the circle of it, after the 10 sec it got stucked(Picture 1+2).
I couldn't ride it and couldn't do anything anymore!

Idea:
Can you add a button whichs show me the number of tracks until the max. tracks?
It`s always stupid if i build and couln't finish my coaster because of the max number of tracks! If I could see it before that would be great

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_053109_194518_02.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_053109_194518_02.jpg
    569.6 KB · Views: 125
  • WC3ScrnShot_053109_194512_01.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_053109_194512_01.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 114
Level 7
Great Map!how did you do this in GUI i do no know, but since it's open for everyone can i modify it into something with an objective to play with my friends?i could just do it but i prefer asking you.I was thinking about making it so you had different objectives and awards by reaching certains heights, speeds etc... making the system depend on the players who ride your coaster is not a good idea because people who are friends will help each other, unballancing the game.
I won't bother you no more, 5/5,
~Luthion

Level 12
Well, I always tell me self i wouldn't care if someone mod-ed one of my maps. So i guess that's cool. (Prefer you leave my name some where in the Quest menu at least. And be sure to be clear its not a version i made. )

As for the things you talk about adding many of those things i have planed. I am just a slow map maker. My goal is to have just about everything you said and more and remove all major bugs by end of summer.

So Hope that answers your question.

Thanks For the feed back.

(P.S. Depending on how much you do, I will still update the game every week or two, so perhaps you can keep your code in a way that it could move with the updates, or better yet if you get some cool addons or improvements, If its ok with you Ill add it into the game and add you guys to the project group.)

Level 12
Hmm, I wounder how that could work. Wow someone played my Battle Train game. I only stopped working on it because no one seemed to have any interest in it. But its too late to get back to work on it now, but maybe Ill finish it up... hmm...

K about the fireworks..
Lets forget about the code for a moment, as Its likely fairly easy to do...

But should that be something that happens when the park opens or you can have them go off when you ride or what?

Level 3
http://rapidshare.com/files/244557402/Loopy_Loopy__Few_bugs_included.w3g.html - First, here's the replay.
Second, here are some screenshots: http://www.xfire.com/screenshots/palid/?ss_file=bd7b915d3ad1e007f9c4a42de1f073a005d7df68.jpg (all mine screenshots, not only from the map)
Third, you CAN play replay on 8x, I tryed that.
Fourth: BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGS!
...V: Freaking limits! 438or something limit sux! And please remove height limit!
Btw. I broke speed record ! 580+. With bug I had 600+ :D Sorry, no screenshots, didn't remember. :(
This map is awesome, I give 5/5! Played 3hours and didn't get bored.

Level 6
I like it!
It's fun, without having the normal wc3 feelings :p.
I know you're adding modes to play in, but a good concept would be to raise money depending on a fun factor of your ride...
Just throwing it out there :p, I hope you keep working :)
Sincerely Foopad

Level 7
I was just gonna do a minor edit good sir. Just give it an objective i do not want to steal you credit of any sort...but my friends are now interested in other maps and even tough i like the map, alot, i probably will not edit it since i hate playing alone....anyways good luck and if you do want any kind of help, i know jass, and a little vjass...i can work with GUI too tough...

TKF

TKF

Level 19
Very nice simulation concept, but I get pretty bored from playing it a few times. Also the minimap pic shows 2.3 when it's 2.6! Just making tracks and running a train all times isn't entertaining enough for me to give this a good rating. Severly lacks diversity. 3/5.
The biggest lack to this map, is that it misses more diversity. It is basically building a coaster, that gets boring soon.
I agree.

Maybe you should develop it further and make a economic feature into the game, perhaps trade tycoon or something. It will then receive better mod rating.

I had to work really hard to make my map a real good and competitive map...
Continue to work hard Rover!!

Level 12
Na i Agree with you. I have alot of cool systems and game modes to make the building and riding of coasters the corner stone of the game but not the point. Its just I am trying to make it work as good as i can. I get so many people that tell me how the cart doesn't ride as good as it could or this and that. So I am trying to deal with that before i move on.

In My first version i made about a year ago. It took me about 3 weeks. and it did almost everything this does and more. But nothing was really hammered out, and everyone jumped me on it. So i decided then to start over and try to get every step as good as i can before i move on.

Personally i generally prefer a game that's more fun even if its less polished then a polished game that's doesn't have much too it. I just need more time :)

Thanks for the support.

Level 6
Lol nice rollercoaster Killax :p,
I don't know about you guys, but the shadows seem to bug me, maybe you should delete them? I mean it's natural that it has shadows, they just don't look anything like what they should.
Maybe having no shadows would not be noticed anyways.

Level 10
Hey, is it possible to add in a prop builder? I could do that for you if you wish, just put in a prop builder to help us build props. Also, hows about increasing the track limit to 1000 if its not too hard? And letting us go OVER the water? :p

If you can add in track support beams will be nice, if not, no biggie. Just not so nice to see everything floating around.
As for the background props I was talking about... a seperate builder that can lay down oversized castles, units that have spiffy attack projectiles that can attack ground, and of course some trees and mountains (volcano model file, blow it up 100x) will be real spiffy!! That I presume can be done within an hour or two... or you could contract it out to me!! Any positions open for terraining? I've interior decorated two houses in RL... (hides in shame)

Great map!! Really a good break from the usual hack and slash. 4/5
Would have given a 5 if the background was a little more... well... like a real amusement park. Once again, thanks and grats on a map well made!!

Level 12
I have had plans to add a prop builder at some point. at least to change the terran. But Its been pushed towards teh end of the development. (you want to send me what a prop builder. ill check it out, and highly consider adding it. If i do ill add you to the group. But this is something that you may find more tricky then you think. as you need to detect if a track will go throw it)

Going over watter is relly cool it even makes a sound with out me doing anything but... the way i currently have it set up the tracks dont like up right. But this is a cool feature I hope to have it in around the time the prop builder gos in. I have good ideas how to approach it. (Its not as simple as it looks, at least for me)

The limit will be raised. I kept it low for testing purposes. I decided to start low and work my way up instead of visa versa.

support was planed at the start but.. after seeing all the work i have left this may or may never come.

Its still crashing with the new stuff i added. So i hope to get that cleaned up and get a few game modes in here. I have just been fairly busy in the last month. still working on it here and there. The next version should be much more stable and the physics should be improved even more. so mostly tweaks and looks.

Anyway thanks for the feed back. expect a new version out with in 2-3 weeks.

Level 12
well if you make one or have one. I can always do the part where they dont go throw it latter at some point. So dont worry about that part too much.

But you dont have to as ill likey just take parts from waht you send me and depending on how much work is involed geting it to work the way i want it will be pushed back intill a get a few other things done.

anyway thanks :)

Level 10
Well I reckon its just less than an hour of work. Just get a dummy unit, give them the desired colision size, add self destruct button, create a builder to build them for 1 gold/lumber, when they die refund the amount, give all players 100 gold at startup. This is to prevent pple flooding the map. The builder can't leave playarea so we dont have jerks flooding other's place with mountains either.
Don't have one but if you want I could get one ready in no time, but like I said, you probably don't need me.

Level 3
I have a suggestion. 1 track part should be like 1 food... Like 50 track parts would be 50 food... when it goes through a limit the upkeep changes like. High upkeep and that means you are low on track parts and you should finish the track on so on. Cool map btw ^^ 5/5
EDIT: Oh there is a bug. when go ride a Rollercoaster of any player. when you go in the circle and ur rider dissappears the creator can close the Coaster track but the character stays inside and will ride it and after that its gone 4ever,Tested the bug twice and both time happened that
EDIT2: oh, friend just left while i was in the bathroom but it bugged for me as i was red. on my own track
EDIT3: oh omg, i somehow managed to delete the whole tracks... like i didnt see any track parts but when i checked STATS there shown 9.
EDIT4: and there is 1 more bug what i can only show u by ingame...

Last edited:
Level 12
Ya the curren version is Quite Buggy. It was mostly cleaned up but i reworte alot of stuff last version that caused this. I currently have a build i am working on that is much better but , i am trying to clean out all major bugs. So i may just update it knowing i havent fixed all the major bugs as i know its better or i may give it another 2-3 weeks intill i get it all done.

Intersting idea about when your geting low on tracks. Ill will add a system to help the players know when there geting low on tracks, Hopefuly by next version.

I am not in the states right now but as soon as i get back Ill work non stop on update.