• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Roller Coaster

What Do you think of roller Coaster?

• I would try this, And likely play it more then once.

Votes: 69 68.3%
  • I would try this, but i would likely only play it once.

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • I might would try this, but i don't think i would enjoy playing it.

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • This is a horrible game idea, or a horrible game idea for warcraft.

Votes: 5 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Roller Coaster

About
Roller Coaster is a game that allows you to build coasters, ride coasters.
It currently has 1 game mode that's called free build. Its currently 4 players, and the map is not locked, and its build 100% in GUI. (Jass is used for leaks)

Features

Builder
The builder allows the user the build coasters with ease. It features, a camera system, full coaster stats, a color changer, a track model changer, a way to place tracks, a way to remove tracks, and a way to finish your coaster.

Rider
The rider allows a user to feel the full experience from riding a coaster. It features first person camera, third person camera, physics, a speed tracking function, and a cart that will follow the tracks at the correct angle and speed.

Game Modes

Free Build
Allows the user to build a roller coaster at there own pace. This mode allows 4 players to build and ride there own coaster. You can also ride other peoples coasters.

Lead
Rover2341

Triggers
Rover2341
risk_fan2 (Physics Engine)

Art(2D)
Fat-Bum (Icons)
lindenkron (Skins)
HappyCockroach(Skins)

Art(3D)
Mario_64 (Tracks)
Bloody_Turds (Track Rebuild)
HappyCockroach (Tracks)

Testers
supa-pimp
decus
kittix
danmanlo
Daskunk
Dem0n_Hunter

Version Alpha 2.7c
*Physics Have been greatly redone.
*Start Speed is Min speed. 200.
*Bug Fixed where cart would appear during ride and move it
*Question Mark Has been Disabled as Player 6,7 isn't built for it.
*Other Minor Bug Fix's.

Version Alpha 2.7b
*Gravity Has been increased by 100%
*Min Speed has been decreased by a bit.
*Build over 60% Higher Then before.
*Flags have been added to add to the feeling of moment.
*The Question Mark has been revamped and re-enabled.
*Less Flipping
*Stats Fixed on all Players.

Version Alpha 2.7a
*7 Players
*Build up to 1000 Tracks (Increase of nearly 100%)
*Minor Bugs Fixed

Version Alpha 2.7
*Fixed All Major Bugs, With Riding and building.
*Enhanced Rider Cart, To stay on Tracks (Flips Much less, but still some)
*Increased Min Speed by 100 MS, and Increased Start Speed by 50 MS.
*Smoother Rider Camera
*20%+ More Build-able Tracks
*Updated Physics Engine (added , G forces)

Version Alpha 2.6a
*Fixed Stats (Required a Tweak because of Physics engine)
*Fixed bug with "? mark"
*Updated and Fixed a minor bug in Quest Menu
*Fixed Camera Issues when on other players coasters
*Fixed Leek in show speed function

Version Alpha 2.6
*New Physics Engine
*Removed All Major Leaks (Jass is used for the leaks)
*Increased Max Speed
*Increased Start Speed
*Improved Rider Camera
*Rebuilt Several Other Functions Of The Rider (Much Cleaner Code)
*Fixed All known Bugs
*Added Functionality When Riding Others Coasters.
*Updated Quest Menu
*No Lag when clicking on spells for first time

Version Alpha 2.5a
*Added Color to Hot Key
*Revamped First Person Rider. (You should see the tracks better when turning)
*Lowered start speed and how fast you slow down/speed up on hills.
*Fixed Holes in park (You cant walk in peoples coaster area now)
*Fixed bug when riding others coasters
*Rare Tips Error Fixed
*Music Added
*More miss spelled words fixed.
*Fixed small terrain issues
*Removed Debug Text

Version Alpha 2.5
* New Terrain
* Park Coaster (A Roller Coaster That's in the center of the map for anyone to ride)
* Ability to ride others coasters
* Rider Slightly tweaked (Looks at tracks better)
* Improved Tool Tips (No More "Rotates xy angle...")
* Added a Unit that you can wounder the park with
* Fixed Speed issue (They used to start slow the first run, and then fast after. now they always start fast)
* Several Small Bug Fixes
* Several miss spelled words fixed.

Version Alpha 2.4

* Pick between 3 track models (1 New, and the old model brought back)
* Change the color of your tracks
* Cart Model Added
* Rider Camera Reworked (Much Better now)
* Fixed Coaster Stats
* Question Mark Unit added, to help new players to expert players.
* Loads of tweaks.
* All known Bugs Fixed.

Version Alpha 2.1 - 2.3
*Rebuilt 95% of every line of code and trigger, So it could be played by 1-4 players (very easy to change to 8 now)
(This was not easy.....It adds one more layer of complexity)

Version Alpha 2.0

*Added Skin To Track. (looks all wooden now, more warcraft like)
*Almost All new Icons.
*Better Tool Tips. (They still need some work)
*Added Hot Keys.
*Better Tips.
*You now speed up and slow down 50% faster. And start off faster. (It doesn't feel so slow anymore)
*Coaster Stats Updated
*Fixed Some Bugs And few more minor updates

Version Alpha 1.9

*Sky
*Larger area to build in
*Minor Terrain work
*Improved Stats For Roller Coaster
*Colored Stats
*Re did parts and added some functionality to the builder
*add functionality to the rider
*Re did Physics
*Tips (can be turned off)
*Revamped Quest Menu.

Version Alpha 1.7

*The Camera has been updated. and now doesn't crash. Also has more features.
*Its more easy to finish your coaster now.
*The Rider Function has been much improved. (That includes the rider cam, the cart moving on the tracks more correctly and a few others things)

Version Alpha 1.4
*Started map over from scratch, Official first release of it.
*Many if not most of the features from version Build 1.0-20 were not re-added,
for sake of making it easy to learn to play.

Version Build 1.0-2.0
*Proof of concept map
*Fully Working Builder Function
*Concepts of the rider were in place
*Many reworks of the controls, to find the easiest way for new players.

Screen1.jpg

53915d1241634221-roller-coaster-contest-costa-doom.png

54168d1241982905-screen-shots-new-track.jpg

Coaster Videos

Version Alpha 2.7c----------Version Alpha 2.4
----------

Note: I am moving to the forums here.

Download Here

Last edited:
Level 12
Thnx.

I have the rider part 70-80% done. But as i learned in the past, even with alpha versions, people don't like to see parts that mostly work.
They only like to see parts that work fully. So I hope to have that part done in about a week or so.

Any Feed Back on about, how easy the builder function currently is to use. would be great. Or suggestions for better names for my current tool tips.

Level 12
Gavdaman88

Thnx for the feed back. I am making progress!

K40$ Spectre

Well, even if i get half way done, if no one wants to play my map then better to quit half way then at the end. But the poll told me to continue. :)
Not that it matters. i will finish this even if no one else would play it. :)
Also Its good for other people , so they know what people in general think and not just me.

Last edited:
Level 12
Updated Map. Version Alpha 1.7
Quite a few Updates. Mostly The Rider Function.

Builder Function Updates
The Camera has been updated. and now doesn't crash. Also has more features.
It should also be easy to finish your coaster now.

Rider Function Updates
The Rider Function is still a little buggy. But mostly works.
(That includes the rider cam, the cart moving on the tracks correctly and a few others things)

Cool Coaster Picture contest
Also If you get any good screen shots of your coaster. I would like to have them. :cool:
Ill Replace it with my current picture at the top of the post

Level 12
Ya the rider camera is still sorta jacked. And the cart riding 90 degrees don't work yet.
But The for speed. If you watch it from the normal view and not the in cart cam view. then You can see it slow down and speed up easier. and see how fast it is really going. Its max speed is fairly fast i think. But This isn't set in stone yet.

But these ares issues i am aiming to solve.

Anyway. Cool Coaster! I think i might keep 2-3 up there. I am hoping some of the other coasters will be diverse.

Last edited:
Level 3
Wow! The screenshots look very impressive, like from the 'real' Rollercoaster Tycoon. There must be a lot of mathematics involved for that rides...

Level 12
Thanks For the good feed back. :)

Well, If you have took trig. Then you would be fine.
When i planed this project i hadn't took trig and it was a bit harder to do it with just my math from geometry. But Still possible. Lucky by the time i started to code I took trig.
The hardest part for me so far, was thinking about math location wise where the cart would be if on track that's at at 45 degree angle (going up). Because the Height for my cart was at the bottom of the model and not the center.
But overall most people could do this, but trig helps a ton.

Off Topic
The truth is my biggest reason for this project was to prove that the GUI is very powerful and can make complex games with few lines of code, and easy to read. Also that the game will not have noticeable lag or suffer because its written in the GUI.

It just makes me so mad, when people tell me the GUI is a hunk of crap.
The way i see it is jass is faster in every way, and has more functionality... But so is machine code compared to c++. So maybe i should start programing in machine code its faster too...and has less limits. Its also a mith that you cant do any complex logic in the gui, with out writing tons of code or making it hard to read.
I am not saying i think jass isn't better for some things, and can do some things the GUI cant.

I may end up adding a few lines of jass where jass is Required.

Last edited:
Level 15
Gui i great indeed, ofcause, theres things it cant do AS EFFECIENT as jass.

I remmember some guy that said, that Gui can do anything jass can do, and he's right!
But many times, Jass if way faster than gui.
Now this leads us to Gui Libaries. Not sure if there's a tutorial in here on how to make a libary, if not, i should post it :)

Libaries: "Actions" in Gui, where you can put in any jass code. Like "Call removefunc (udg_var)"

That way, i made an action called Point - Destroy (Point_Variable) :D

Level 12
Its planed. And will Come at some point. I am started to mess with that yesterday. But i got to fix up the rider function and more basic needs first. like lowering the learning curve.
It was planed from the start to have twisting tracks as well, But I decided to cut that out. at least intill i can get the game to work as is with a few game modes ect. but it could still come along latter. The more functionality the harder it is to learn though. So i am leaning against not doing it just for that reason. Too many of my games fail because the learning curve it just a little to high.

DonDustin. Very cool Good Coaster.Yours has been added to the top of the post,And its the first picture. :)

Level 15
NOOOOOOO MINE IS BEST FTWHAXORXLOLOMGROFLCOPTORBBQ(JOKE)

Wacko Coaster.JPG

As you see, i got two things to Notice you about:

Far Z and Fog should be adjustable, and more maximum hieght, my coaster was too big to see it all :/ (used 976 tracks, and many rebuilds so i didn't used over 1000)

Also, i found a way to twist tracks, more or less efficient:

1: make a track go straight up
2: Turn the track to twist it
3: make the track go "down"
4: Turn track again

Sadly, the good twisted points is in the left side, where you cant see it :/

Level 15
Not to be harsh to anybody, but the track skin could be better :)

Just more "Metallic"

Edit: A new coaster, i really love this map, forget everything about the "Might only play this once" ;D
Wicked SICK!.JPG

Well, even if i get half way done, if no one wants to play my map then better to quit half way then at the end.

THOU WILL NEVER QUIT THIS MAP! THOU WILL NEVER THINK ABOUT QUITTING! THOU WILL DIE IF YOU QUIT!!!

Last edited:
Level 2
Potential

There was some great potential in this baby but it was ruined by 3 things:

1. The absence of Acceleration (at least i didn't see a car that fell speed up).

2. The Bugged Riding (Just get rid of the seat all together, it makes my eyes hurt).

3. The inability to ride other peoples rides. I thought this are things whether you're planning them are not need the most work.

I can see great potential in this though.

Level 12
The absence of Acceleration (at least i didn't see a car that fell speed up).

The truth is this works. But its hard to tell from in cart view. IF you hit the camera when riding it works.

but That needs some work still.

Anyway the rest are planed and known. Thnx for the feed back

EDIT:
Metallic, or a skin for the track. I am very open to the idea.
In fact i spent a few hours trying to find one or make one. but ended up just deciding it would have to wait unless someone else could find a skin...

Cool Coaster :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 2
One more thing, You need to add a sky through a trigger at the beginning of the game , Because when you're watching the rollercoaster, you can get really dis-oriented.

Level 15
This is one of the most ingenious maps of WCIII. Period. I've NEVER seen such an original Warcraft map before. I mean, it's obvious this map takes after Roller Coaster Tycoon, but it's just that no one's ever done ANYTHING like this before. And the best part is that it's all in GUI! THAT'S UNHEARD OF!

You, my friend, deserve heaps of reputation for this.

Level 12
I am still unsure about the speed being in issue. i think its more of it appears slow from your point of view , not seeing you pass any trees. But i agree it so far appears to slow.

I will learn how to add a sky. That is a good suggestion.

Thanks for the feed back.

Level 10
Amazing game. First off I found a bug that I'm not sure was mentioned: the car only rides on the left side of a stright up and down track.
Secondly, the car didn't go faster.
Lastly, you can't go uphill then downhill and still be watching the track.
Anyways, amazing work on the game. Keep it up.

Level 12
DredLord2 , It does go faster and slower but it doesn't change its speed fast enough i think. Also from first person it appears to be going slow when your moving very fast, from not passing anything.

I also know the camera needs some work

Landmine, I know about those things.

Thanks for the feed back. I am still working on it, hoping by the end of Feb Ill have a good Fully working Version, With maybe 2 game modes. And alot more to come after that. like multiplayer and the third game mode ect ect.

Level 12
Things to come in next version (End Of February)

Already Done
Sky
Larger area to build in
Minor Terrain work
Improved Stats For Roller Coaster
Colored Stats
Re due parts and add some functionality to the builder
add functionality to the rider
Re due Physics
Add Things you pass to make it feel like your moving.(Other wise if your going 1 or 100000 miles in hour its hard to tell the difference)
Tips (can be turned off)
Revamped Quest Guide. (Added Information from my first post there, and some details.)

Things Partly Done
2 Game modes(Free Build, Ai Challange)

Things In Motion
Icons Added to spells.

Things Hoped To Get Done
Fix Rider Cam
Improve Cart, To better ride on tracks

Things Pending
Some Basic Music. (can be turned off)
A Basic Tutorial in game, that shows the basics, if you want to use it. (Pending, Might not do this next version or ever...)

Last edited:
Level 7
I realy like this game, It's fun and creative and best of all it's replayable :) I have played the DL'able one a couple times. :]

One suggestion though, aside from the others.
When you change the colors of the tracks, I think white would be a better color then blue (or silver) just throwing that out there cuase it popped into my mind.

Level 10
I like this game a lot. It reminds me of Roller Coaster Tycoon, a lot. The good ol' days...
The only disapointment I have with the current version is the speed change of the car (its so gradual, you don't notice it go up to extremly fast speeds). But I'm hearing that your fixng it.

Level 12
Well at this point i am not gona mess with it(The Track Colors), until i put a skin on it or decide that it looks better with out one. After that i may change the color some. And hopefully at some point allow people latter to customize there coaster track color.

Also I just posted a request in the request section about icons i am hoping to get. If i don't get much help here ill do my best at them but i am not very good at it. all the current icons where from someone else.
Anyway the link to the Icon Request are here.

Level 7
Well at this point i am not gona mess with it(The Track Colors), until i put a skin on it or decide that it looks better with out one. After that i may change the color some. And hopefully at some point allow people latter to customize there coaster track color.

Also I just posted a request in the request section about icons i am hoping to get. If i don't get much help here ill do my best at them but i not an artiest. all the current icons where from someone else.
Anyway the link to the Icon Request are here.

If you can wait several days(5) i can do a couple icons for you.

What ones are needed? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.