• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Roller Coaster Maker (Windows Phone)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
iconboxed.png
Roller Coaster Maker
Windows Phone App

Introduction
The game is written in C#, and is using XNA as a front end. I spent nearly a year (a while back) working on one for warcraft 3, with triggers. Recently I have been working in xna and slvierlight and building roller coaster for windows phone. Its been out for a month and is the # 1 Free Game App on windows phone! :)

Versions

Key Features
  • Touch to play.
  • Building coasters, with a large amount of flex-ability yet designed to take only seconds to learn.
  • Ride coasters, from in the cart or from a third person perspective.
  • Screenshots

Main Menu
50637460.png

Building
29100907.png

Riding (Cart View), Riding (Third Person View)
93406560.png
89506859.png

Stats, Halloween Theme
70973405.png
91124538.png

Videos

An Older Version (Running on windows phone 7)

What's Next?
Achievements
Unlock-able content
Ability to get place coins, and when riding to get them by leaning left and right in your cart, by swiping.

Top Ranking In Free Category On windows Phone
US - Rank 1
Germany - Rank 1
United Kingdom - Rank 1
Hungary - Rank 1
Japan - Rank 1
Sweden - Rank 1
Italy - Rank 2
Poland - Rank 2

Current Ranking

Want to try Roller Coaster?

Last edited:
Level 12
haha you would say that. But its true.

I recently added sides to the coasters, that are black. (in version i working on), But I fear it may confuse players that they can build into a wall of a coaster, and it will create a hole, or remove the support beam for that area, so you can build.

But it looks really sick. Ill upload a photo of it here tonight.

Level 12
Screen shot is from the windows desktop version of the game, in progress.

The idea is to have to paper then sides that are the "Support Beams". They clearly need alot of adjustment and to be only going straight down.

For the most part what ever i build on the desktop one ill move to the phone one, I am already pushing the gpu, so i fear adding support beams will one cost quite a bit, and 2 that i wouldn't have the ability to make them look good.

But if you still think support beams are a better idea, maybe show me a link of how they should be done or look.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    224.6 KB · Views: 2,335
Level 12
Last edited:
Level 20
It's more than most of us will ever achieve. Congrats man.
I don't have a windows phone, but I might bug my friend to download it when he gets his.
Otherwise I'll await the android version.

How does the app compare to the Warcraft III version though? That was pretty epic in itself.

Level 12
Overall war3 is more refined. But the phone version is quickly catching up. There about even in features windows phone looks are a bit worse. Biggest thing is war3 is you can play with friends. The upside of the phone version is the UI is greatly improved and save and load.

I estimated about 50,000-100,000 dls of roller coaster for Warcraft 3.

Same In both versions
-----------------------
  • How building the coaster works
  • How riding the coaster works

Warcraft 3
-----------------------
  • Triggers (I have one in vjass but i never quite finshed that one, it had support beams too)
  • Very Nice war 3 environment
  • Can play with freinds!
  • Can Change Tracks
  • Ai Challenge mode
  • War3 Music (Power of the horde)

WP7 / Windows Desktop
-----------------------
  • C#
  • Rider runs a bit more smooth
  • Pre Built Tracks - Build Loop...ect.
  • Can save and load coasters
  • Coin Mode
  • Support beams (Should be in next version)
  • Screenshots, that you can easily push to face book or email in a single button. (finished but not in current version, Ill push with next version)
  • Nicer looking stats
  • Rewind and fast fowrad will riding.
  • Can change layout, sky, tracks, cart
  • can look around while riding, and zoom in and out with pinch.
  • A Bit worse visually Partly due to low power of phone, and my texturing skills.

Warcraft 3 - All models are higher poly but I think they have a backed in lighting.
Windows desktop has higher quality models (then windows phone), and lighting turned on for all models.
Windows phone has lower quality models, and lighting turned on only for a some models.

I made my first 150$ bucks (first 30 days), from the making a game. Goal is to have it generate enough cash to pay for my schooling. we will have too see how it goes, its a long ways off. I am about 66x away reaching my goal and 666x from being able to make a it a job.

But still 150 bucks is a good start.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I made my first 150$ bucks (first 30 days), from the making a game.
I thought you said it was a free game application? Or were these donations/rewards?

In any case if you want to commercialize it you need to dream up new features that will make people want to pay that are not in the free version. You may also want to make a Windows 8 version which could take advantage of the new and more powerful portable devices being made that run windows.

To help you along here are possible examples.
Cooperative coasters, both when building and when riding.
Avatars inside coasters that wave arms, these could be based on your Microsoft Avatar used in the 360 and other parts of Windows Live (I recall them adding them at some stage).
Graffitee mode which allows you to customize the texture on your kart and modify the textures of various components.
Larger or irregularly shaped plot to build on.
New decorative objects such as rocket ships, shapes or monsters to spice up a ride.
New coaster components including water plunges, harp direction changes.
Crazy un-realistic coaster features such as rockets, smoke trails and daredevil jump mechanics (like the coaster in Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword where you have to jump at the end).
New environments, people may want a beach coaster, a desert coaster or one in a snowy wonderland complete with realistic visual effects like snowflakes.
Coaster Land, a place where generic coaster plots and choosen at random for a pool of coasters made by the community. Would be great with multiplayer interaction. Could possibly be made semi-MMORPG where servers are hosted by the public (like minecraft servers).
Localization feature support. Including choosing famous national flags, and possible culture related items.
Coaster points, allowing many routes to the same rollercoaster.
Battle coaster, where you try and ride around shooting other karts with cannons of various kinds.
Intelligent helper for building coasters that could do basic join opperations laying track in batches rather than you having to lay piece by piece.

Level 12
I thought you said it was a free game application? Or were these donations/rewards?

- Game has advertisements. In am making about 8 bucks a day. goal is to make that closer to 40+.
- I did win a free laptop with the game, with Intel AppUp contest, (still ongoing but I won a ultra book, Its the same game but for desktop)
- May make a Paid Version, later on with no adds, and maybe some additional features for paid only. But at first it would just be add free. I will never take away features from the free version though.

Why Windows Phone over andriod and iphone ect...?

Very good point, but for me it made sense.

This is why.
  • I won a windows phone in a contest last summer, only smart phone I own
  • I am already family with sliverlight and xna
  • I have a older brother whos making more then enoufe a year on the side on windows phone with free to play games with adds, to reach my goal to pay for my schooling.
  • Windows phone in much less mature, and has much less competition.

That said 2% is much less then the iPhone or android.

I fear that With out a push I wont have much of a chance, and for now this works great so i can get roller coaster more polished before i hit the bigger markets.

If people played my game as long as they do my brothers I would be making near 40 a day. So hopefully some updates can improve the amount people continue to play.

You may also want to make a Windows 8 version which could take advantage of the new and more powerful portable devices being made that run windows

This has been done but failed market place twice. so far. I have fixed all the issues they asked but then they tell me more. mostly minor stuff. I hope to have this free on windows 8 market place by end of month. (Ill add advertisements later on).

It was a very easy transition. Only issue was they dont support XNA, so i had to use mono (that reads in xna, and shoots out direct x)

Avatars inside coasters that wave arms, these could be based on your Microsoft Avatar used in the 360 and other parts of Windows Live (I recall them adding them at some stage).

A VERY good Idea. I am going to look into this.

New decorative objects such as rocket ships, shapes or monsters to spice up a ride.
New environments, people may want a beach coaster, a desert coaster or one in a snowy wonderland complete with realistic visual effects like snowflakes.

Planed

Battle coaster, where you try and ride around shooting other karts with cannons of various kinds.

I like this idea.

Intelligent helper for building coasters that could do basic join opperations laying track in batches rather than you having to lay piece by piece.

Exist, but needs more. It currently has "Build loop" , "Build upward" (gets you going up no matter how your rotated. and a few others. But it needs more. The standard build also builds 3 tracks at once. I want to build more flexablity later but for now i want it to be simple.

"Crazy un-realistic coaster features such as rockets, smoke trails and daredevil jump mechanics (like the coaster in Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword where you have to jump at the end)."

I like the idea but a bit later on. It can be used in the Tracks chuck i currently have. Where you would build a jump, this has been talked about alot with some of my brothers. But for now we are working on in achievement/Reward system.

Last edited:
Level 12
Impressive

Thanks

when and how did you make the transition from warcraft 3 to this

Well, I sorta felt like in warcraft 3 my project was a failure. I could have put a bit more time to finsh a few more things, up. I was close to having some more game modes, but in end it was not very popular.

I heard about xna, and thought "wow I could recode roller coaster in C# so much easier then I could in triggers".

So I sat up one night, and rebuilt all of roller coaster in C#. The next day I polished it up, and it works in console. You could build and ride your coaster in console.

This was 4 years ago.

Then I attempted to learn xna, I bought a book, did most of the samples. and in the end got stuck.

I wasn't able to get a 3d model to show up, with a camera I could control easily with code like in warcraft 3. I spent months trying. Failed all attempts.

over 3 years later I tried again. I bought some more books, tired a few months failed.

about 5 months ago, I tired, and found out the reason it never worked, was that I had used a model that I exported from blend incorrectly!

from that point on it was smooth sailing. of the 4 xna books I bought none of them showed a simple 3d engine, I could just shove in to roller coaster, that was strong enough to do screen culling, and that I could control via a camera with as much control as in warcraft 3. that took me a while to get right.

developing wise, how did you go about acquiring the skills needed? :p

- Learned C++, at least the basics, like functions, and classes. (At Collage)
- Learned warcraft 3, GUI (mostly this site, and messing around)
- Learned C#, nearly the same stuff, different syntax, works a bit different. (From a single Book)
- Learned XNA, most of it is easy, xna books help. But none I got showed or give a basic 3d engine, with powerful, yet easy to use camera in code. I spent 80% of my time getting this, and building one. (From 4 books, but only needed 1 as reference, if I had a good sample from the start. I wouldn't have needed any), online sites
- Pushed a windows phone app, Dino Jokes (1 button, show next joke), online sites for how too
- push to windows phone, I used Silverlight for the UI, this should have been easy, but wasn't for me. online.

ISSUES

The game hasn't got any real updates due to me trying to fix this bug I had from the start. I belive it has to do with saving a file to large, or going to and from start screen and game. but its the major reason roller coaster has become a huge headache for me, and development has stoped. I have been fighting to fix this since it was out, and am slowly getting there.

Some of this, I couldn't test for, as I tested the game 1000's of times with no crash's, but in my effort to fix the issue, I have recently made it WAY worse. but at least I am getting to the issue. and getting it fixed.

Thus the num # 1 thing said by people is, "GREAT game", or "CRASHS"

Status
Not open for further replies.