• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Rodent Termination!

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
First of all, my thanks to Zedra, who aplha-tested and beta-tested.
Secondly thanks to WILL THE ALMIGHTY for his ground explosion model.

I am going to say that this is my first map I have ever uploaded, because originally, this game was meant for local area network games. But I think I have now improved it enough to release it out into the hive :)

This version is protected for now, as I first want to see what all you warcraft III players think, then maybe in the future I will release an open-map version. This is not a work in progress, because its a fully fuctioning map. I know it has room for improvement, but I'm asking feedback from you guys as that is always the best thing to do. So post YOUR constructive criticism and/or tips now.

Not all ideas will be accepted of course, because the map needs to stay balanced. But that doesn't mean you can't be creative.

Map description:
Yes yes, it is hunting season! One of many mortar teams AKA 'Shooter' has gone on a hunting trip. But to get to the big-game, he has to wipe out all those little ones. The little ones AKA 'Rodents', have united in attempt to wear out the mortar team.

THIS MAP IS PROTECTED

Objectives:
Rodents: AI integrated for Rodents.
Do your best to survive! Multiply yourself, blink to dodge mortar shells, build shelters and burrow yourself in between rocks to keep the mortar team from wiping you out!

Shooter:
Stand, shoot and call for aid to wipe out these vile rodents!

Controls:
Shooter: Use (hotkey) 'A' to shoot your mortar at rodents. Buy items to cause mass casualties to rodents. To use an item, put it in the first item slot in your inventory and press (hotkey) 'D' to use that item. It will dissapear out of your item slot.

Rodents: You have three abilities. Good 'ol 'Blink', 'Nest' and 'Burrow'. You can blink whenever you want. You can nest whenever you want and you can burrow whenever you want... except...

Burrow can only be used when you stand in the rocks. (There are 3 sets of rocks that dissapear and reappear). That rodent will become immobile and invunerable. Be careful though, the shooter can counter by sending in a dog that 'sniffs you out'. The dog will only sniff out one rock however. Your rodent will become vurnerable and mobile when the rocks dissapear.

'Nesting' basically just multiplies you. This is how you survive. One nest provides three multiplications over time.

Blink is just your average method of confusing the shooter or dodging his shells.

Modes:
Player 1 (Red) chooses the difficulty.

Easy: 3 minutes survival.
Normal: 5 minutes survival.
Hard: 10 minutes survival.

!PLEASE LEAVE YOUR CREATIVE IDEAS AND RESPONSES IN THE
COMMENTS BELOW!

Keywords:
Rodent, mini, game, shooter, exterminator, termination
Contents

Rodent Termination! (Map)

Reviews
15:49, 18th Sep 2010 ap0calypse: Rejected
It is recommended you do not play this game with a computer aging back to the previous millenium. Depending on how the shooter plays, the number of rodents increase/decrease. If that number increases to excessive amounts, computers with lower RAM and older processors might fail to comply to the game's standards.
Dude, if you have leaks in your map, clean them.

Level 8
No no no... Not leaks, just having about a hundred units on the map at the same time. You would understand if you saw :p
It's mainly when you play with AI though... because all they do is multiply and walk around, but they dont buy shelters or hide in rocks... Thus resulting in loads of units on the map. Not leaked, just having them there at the moment can make a processor lag.

Level 8
cant wait till u make ur Nature's battle :) i will try it right when u do it :)

Off-topic, but thanks anyway... Don't expect anything to come out soon though.. I will probably start in bout 4-5 days. (I plan the whole thing out before I create the actual map... I only add things if they're necessary or vital for the game/gameplay...

ALSO! For all you people downloading without commenting.. PLEASE CONSIDER on doing so anyway, feedback helps all of us in one way or another doesn't it?! THANKS!

Level 8
Since my computer its old i cant test i guess so... i just wish you map its good and good luck with future maps

No it doesn't mean you can't try to play it.
Just consider it like this.

If you have a computer that is able to run DotA, even when all heroes
on the screen are casting spells at exactly the same time, and your processor doesn't
lag at all or lags only a bit, then your fine!

My computer lags if that happens, and yet nothing happens when I play Rodent Termination

EDIT

Okay I removed that whole 'WARNING' part because I figured if you have a pc that bad, you wouldn't play DotA in the first place because you knew it was gonna freeze your pc... So yeah..

Last edited:
Level 28
The terrain is very monotone (boring): flat, plain.
The game itself is original, yet you didn't maximize it's capabilities: the rodents can go outside the bomber's view (extremely irritating), you should make the items castable instead of using that beacon ability and you might want to consider more items as well.
The AI just runs around stupidly (as you said: very basic AI).
I believe I also noticed some memory leaks...

This needs some major improvements in both gameplay and looks.