1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Rise of Winterchill 0.71m

Submitted by Softmints
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
After months of supposed inactivity, Rage Winterchill has amassed a rogue legion of demons, satyr, and undead to use in a fanatical strike against the Night Elves in an attempt to avenge Archimonde's death. After demolishing several elven outposts, he has stationed himself in the ruins of a former city, and is prepared to fight. The Elves are underprepared and doom lingers overhead; can you turn the tides of the battle?

Features:
* A high-level AoS with engaging, action-packed gameplay.
* Thirty completely
original heroes to fight with.
* Focus on
interesting abilities which take aiming/timing, and reward skilled players.
* Almost
no stuns/complete disables which leave your character helpless.
* Stat-based abilities which scale differently depending on your item build.
* Optional Tournament Mode with ordered bans and picks.
8 years of iteration and polish.

* Very
progressive item systems, designed for ease of use:
* Clearly organised Marketplace interface (see screenshots below) with full information about effects stacking and recipe components.
* No overlapping 'orb abilities': everything works on every hero and with every other item.
* 'Recipe' items will auto-complete if you already have enough gold.
* Type -i itemname to buy an itemname, saves time on searching (various other shortcuts available).
* Interesting items which improve ability fields such as Duration and AoE, to add more build options.

* Clean visual style without gaudy effects.
* All necessary information is contained within the map, no need for an external reference.
* Continued
on-demand support for bugs/balance fixes, though active development has ended.

Shortfalls:
* There are no AI/bot players in the map, nor any immediate plans to add them. Sorry!
* Large (8MB) file size due to lots of custom assets.

Screenshots:
(Plenty available below!)

Want to play?
* You can find players on the RoW Steam group.
* The latest versions are always on MakeMeHost.com.
* RoW takes approximately 50 minutes, and it's best played with at least 4v4. For 3v3 or less, the game will activate an all-mid mode.

More details about the game can be found on the Homepage!

Changelog:
* View it online here.
* Or find it in the map's quest menu (along with accreditations).

Video!
Check out recorded streams at the Twitch.tv channel.

Below, a video featuring out-takes from couple of games from 2012. Huge thanks to Sep for putting it together!

Related Content:
Softmints' other work includes:
* DotA Outland, which is this map's predecessor.
* Leraux, a single-player puzzle-adventure game.
* Lane-Pushing Games, a blag about AoS maps.

Keywords:
AoS, Winterchill, Rise, DotA, Outland, RoW, Softmints, Rise of Winterchill, DotA Outland, Hero, Heroes, Spell, Custom, Moba
Contents

Rise of Winterchill 0.71m (Map)

Reviews
18:41, 23rd Dec 2008 Rui: Not a bad AoS. Its bases were well covered up, but concretely, it did not come out so well. See my full review. With a full 3/5 (Useful), this map is Approved! 21:44, 16th May 2011 Cweener: Went back through it on...
  1. 18:41, 23rd Dec 2008
    Rui:
    Not a bad AoS. Its bases were well covered up, but concretely, it did not come out so well. See my full review.
    With a full 3/5 (Useful), this map is Approved!

21:44, 16th May 2011
    Cweener:
    Went back through it on request. Got some pretty awesome custom coded systems, combined with a decent terrain.
    Great AoS. Great map. Well done.
    Rating changed to 5/5 (Highly Recommended).

2. emperor_d3st

emperor_d3st

Resources:
    Resources:
    I wonder why people rate down this map. I think it's a very good aos with a lot of unique heroes and skills. Of course, there are too few items and heroes to chose from for my taste but it's not a 1.00 version but a 0.40
    I think you have some haters :)

3. Andriejj

Andriejj

Resources:
    Resources:
    This map is just awesome. It stands out a lot from all those low quality AoS maps that flood us every day. Alas, AoS map which can be compared to DoE.

Innovation and quality is what makes this map awesome. This project REALLY should get hosted.

Might be confusing at start, but that's nothing really bad.

Softmins, keep up the good job. If you want a player base, whisper me (I'm also Northrend, acc- andriejj), and my clan (PiP) is at your order ;) Currently, we mainly play DoE, now we have some alternative when DoE get's boring.

Rating: 10! And fuck all the downvoters.

4. Psiblade94122

Psiblade94122

Resources:
    Resources:
    more like, finally a map that can be compared to eota

btw, where'd you get the skin for the UI?

5. Fulla

Fulla

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Nice map, have played it a few times now.
    Gets better each version, hope you continue to update it!

6. F-Zero_Racer

F-Zero_Racer

Resources:
    Resources:
    It's really an amazing AoS, one of the few that can stand up to the likes of DoE, EoTA and DoTA. The skills have a lot of thought in them and there is a ton of synergy, the item system is certainly unique (a little slow though) and I love the UI changes.

The only things i'd suggest is polishing the terrain a bit and some hero tweaks. I don't know what it is about the terrain exactly, it just seems...off. More heroes would be good, but i'm happy with the selection.

7. Phooxeh

Phooxeh

Resources:
    Resources:
    I believe more heroes are on the way. However, YOU can help make it happen faster by coming up with hero / skill ideas. Simply post at the forum and it'll get a look. Softmints is currently away however, he'll be returning in aproximately two weeks.

Be sure to read the skill/hero template if you're going to post an idea. Good ideas are always welcome.

8. teloriose

teloriose

Resources:
    Resources:
    DoE? You mean everstill?

9. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Great map, more people should really try it.

10. nargaque

nargaque

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    This is a very good map. Hero and item selection UI are especially outstanding.

Edit: I just noticed that my rating bumped up the map's rank from #2 to #1 based on rating. Good luck staying there!

11. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    No he means Desert of Exile by Rising_Dusk

12. Softmints

Softmints

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Wow, that's outstanding. Highest rated on the site; I never thought I'd get that. Long may it last!

EDIT: ...and there is goes, forever.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  13. NeverDeath

NeverDeath

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Was a very fun map in my opinion. High quality, which seems rare in so many AoS maps I've tried out on this site and others - just as others have said. Very unique in so many ways, the customization is great. You get my 5 bud.

Do me a favor if you get a chance Soft, try mine out and tell me what you think could use improving on my comments page. It's my first time using the editor but I tried my best and through trial and error + some tutorial help, I think it's pretty fun, decently balanced and while not completely earthshattering/innovative, decent.

Anyway, if you could drop by, try it and tell me what you think needs work and what you think is good, I would value the opinions and feedback of someone who made such a nice map themselves ;). I tried to do a lot of the same things you did actually, in terms of making abilities that scale with level and are useful, some marketplaces amid the forests which randomly restock their inventory every 20seconds, upgrades for units and buildings, keybindings and just trying to capture a place where a war is happening. Any feedback really appreciated, thanks in advance!

A Land Divided AoS v2.12 - The Hive Workshop - A Warcraft III Modding Site

14. Zankman Jack

Zankman Jack

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hey Softmints!
    You made an great map, an great AOS map, very unique and original.
    I played it several times, all of them with you.
    5/5
    1 thing bugs me dough:
    There is no -ap or -ar mode. I got bored after 10 games, always being in the Elven side.
    BTW, we played together (along with some of your clanmates) other maps to. You even asked me to join your clan (about 50% sure about this). So:
    1. Do you play on Europe?
    2. What is your clan channel?

15. aaron

aaron

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    nice a new ver :D

16. bounty hunter2

bounty hunter2

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Rating to this map:
    After playing it 4 v 4 :

First I shall start with positive sides:

+ The scripting was excellent, very high level of JASSing
    + Nice heroes with very good done skills
    + Entertaining at parts
    + I like the creep paths, very original

There are some negative sides, thou:

- The skills are sometimes way to complicated, with a lot of calculating to be done
    - I didn't like the market and hero selection system, it was kinda slow, it was perfectly done, but I don't like the idea
    - A lot of balancing issues, some heroes are just stronger ( But this is Beta )
    - Lag, I don't know, maybe I was the only one, but I had quite some lag
    - Not much entertainment - the map was fun at parts, but as RDZ said when we played it, it is a lot of good JASSing in not such a fun map

In overall, this was a good map, that has some potential, with a couple of more original ideas it could match the rest of leading AoS games out there. I would suggest balancing, and maybe simplifing the spells, which are good but a bit complicated.

I am giving it a 3/5, what may seem a low grade for some people, but the map just lacks the something special, to be great.

Good Luck, bounty_hunter2

EDIT: I forgot to say, I think this map should be approved and I see it already has.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  17. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Rise of Winterchill" (version 0.48 BETA)
    Pluses and Minuses
    √ Originality
    √ Packaging
    √ Object Editor work quality
    √ Machine/Net-friendly
    √ Spelling & Grammar

+/- Hive Workshop requirements
    +/- Terrain
    +/- Re-playing worth
    +/- Imported Material
    +/- Balance
    +/- Bug-free

(X) Fun Factor/Gameplay
    (X) Changed interface
    "Rise of Winterchill" is a Warcraft AoS with unique, JASS-scripted shop and hero-selection systems. It does not lag and is well written.

The thing to enjoy most about this map is certainly the scripted hero selection and shop systems. This is the first map I see with such systems: even Age of Myths (which was completely scripted in JASS as well) didn't have this shop system (and the hero selection in this map is way better -- you can actually know about the hero you're picking).
    Special stand out to the good quality of the work done in object editor (I rarely grant a √ on that item). The shop-system also allowed you to spare on the item-selling structures.

Now, the bad part. The worst was definitely the time the game took. It was way too boring. Not because the heroes were weak, but simply because it felt boring. Not just me: there were more people from my testing crew who complained.
    About the terrain, it was... normal. Not bad, but not too good either. The structure was original, but the terrain itself lacked a soul. I'm also in doubt if all the material you imported was actually necessary.

There is one more thing I didn't like: the fact that you changed the interface icons for the basic commands (move, attack, hold position, etc). The Warcraft default ones would have suited so much better.

Summarizing, you did an overall nice job with the background, but concretely it needs some improvement, both in making it more exciting, balancing it (the Tempest's cloud spell was exaggeratedly imbalanced, for example)... and giving it some spirit!

My rating for this resource is 3/5 (Useful). The map is, thus, Approved!

18. Paladon

Paladon

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    This map definitely has high potential to become a great and very enjoyable map, but it currently lacks for me at the overall gameplay experience.
    The hero´s skills turned very nice out, although some are unbalanced, and the custom shop & hero selection is very original and well done.
    This map entertains for the first 10 minutes but becomes boring later on steadily. That´s the main part to fix.
    It´s noticeable that you put much effort in creating this map, that´s why it worths to be even more improved.

19. DigitalDemon

DigitalDemon

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Played this map today. It has a lot of new and exciting features which make it really original as an AoS. The character selections system and marketplace is awesome! Lovely GUI. Some of the spells are exceptionally good. I was impressed by that geomancer spell that makes rocks grow out in a curve. Got stuck with that a few times. Furthermore, your map does not lag at all so that's another plus. Overall I'd give this a 4/5 and to get a 5/5 I think you should keep improving on the things it does differently to other AoSs.