1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Ride into the sunset with the 32nd Modeling Contest. The contest is optionally paired. Best of luck, people!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. This adventure has come to an end. Congratulate our heroes in the 16th Mini Mapping Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. From the gates of hell, the 5th Special Effect Contest Results have emerged.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Rise of Winterchill 0.71m

Submitted by Softmints
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
After months of supposed inactivity, Rage Winterchill has amassed a rogue legion of demons, satyr, and undead to use in a fanatical strike against the Night Elves in an attempt to avenge Archimonde's death. After demolishing several elven outposts, he has stationed himself in the ruins of a former city, and is prepared to fight. The Elves are underprepared and doom lingers overhead; can you turn the tides of the battle?

Features:
* A high-level AoS with engaging, action-packed gameplay.
* Thirty completely
original heroes to fight with.
* Focus on
interesting abilities which take aiming/timing, and reward skilled players.
* Almost
no stuns/complete disables which leave your character helpless.
* Stat-based abilities which scale differently depending on your item build.
* Optional Tournament Mode with ordered bans and picks.
8 years of iteration and polish.

* Very
progressive item systems, designed for ease of use:
* Clearly organised Marketplace interface (see screenshots below) with full information about effects stacking and recipe components.
* No overlapping 'orb abilities': everything works on every hero and with every other item.
* 'Recipe' items will auto-complete if you already have enough gold.
* Type -i itemname to buy an itemname, saves time on searching (various other shortcuts available).
* Interesting items which improve ability fields such as Duration and AoE, to add more build options.

* Clean visual style without gaudy effects.
* All necessary information is contained within the map, no need for an external reference.
* Continued
on-demand support for bugs/balance fixes, though active development has ended.

Shortfalls:
* There are no AI/bot players in the map, nor any immediate plans to add them. Sorry!
* Large (8MB) file size due to lots of custom assets.

Screenshots:
(Plenty available below!)

Want to play?
* You can find players on the RoW Steam group.
* The latest versions are always on MakeMeHost.com.
* RoW takes approximately 50 minutes, and it's best played with at least 4v4. For 3v3 or less, the game will activate an all-mid mode.

More details about the game can be found on the Homepage!

Changelog:
* View it online here.
* Or find it in the map's quest menu (along with accreditations).

Video!
Check out recorded streams at the Twitch.tv channel.

Below, a video featuring out-takes from couple of games from 2012. Huge thanks to Sep for putting it together!

Related Content:
Softmints' other work includes:
* DotA Outland, which is this map's predecessor.
* Leraux, a single-player puzzle-adventure game.
* Lane-Pushing Games, a blag about AoS maps.

Keywords:
AoS, Winterchill, Rise, DotA, Outland, RoW, Softmints, Rise of Winterchill, DotA Outland, Hero, Heroes, Spell, Custom, Moba
Contents

Rise of Winterchill 0.71m (Map)

Reviews
18:41, 23rd Dec 2008 Rui: Not a bad AoS. Its bases were well covered up, but concretely, it did not come out so well. See my full review. With a full 3/5 (Useful), this map is Approved! 21:44, 16th May 2011 Cweener: Went back through it on...
  1. FrozenFenrir

FrozenFenrir

Resources:
    Resources:
    well i dont have any replays but it seems that it always crashes after a certain time (maybe when the units spawn)

2. Gahn

Gahn

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ive had the same problem when I tried hosting, it crashed at around the same time as .52c would in multiplayer

3. baassee

baassee

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The best use of custom abilities I've seen in this map, love it thought with the hero you know that got the ultimate which have 3 sec casting time and recasts it after casting dealing double damage, the spell you can turn auto shooting more then one projectile got selectable dummies, yes you have -1 selection scale but you can mark you know drag the mouse and temporary get them ;)

4. Softmints

Softmints

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    All of the attack modifier abilities which have point/area targeting do that (Barrage, Arc Lightning, not Ricochet), because the hero needs to have something selectable to attack (if I don't want to screw up the cooldowns). I'm sure you'll have lots of fun playing with them. :thumbs_up:

Also, a 1.24 compatible version will be made available here as soon as I'm happy with the balance. There exists a version on the forums (see my sig) at the moment if anyone feels like testing.

5. Piranha89

Piranha89

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Me and a friend were testing the 1.24 compatible version together with Softmints today.
    The main problem i realized were the constant low fps, caused through unknown unperformant actions. Generally having 64 fps, this map lowers my fps to a basic of 15-20 fps, making it hard to play. Some spells even make the monitor freeze for like 5 seconds (especially the ones from the Ice Panda).

In contrary, this map has a well usage of a special system for shopping and combining items. The heros are quite nice and theme- oriented (but several spells are taken from dota).

Nice job there, but improve the performance please!:wink:

6. Softmints

Softmints

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The only ability in RoW which is derived specifically from DotA is the concept for Poison (damage while moving, from Rupture) which is implemented in a different form in RoW (attack based, stacks). I am aware that DotA uses several abilities which I had developed first (Flare » Rocket Flare, Ancient Power » Enchant Totem), though I find it reasonable that simple abilities like these could be developed separately. Are there abilities in DotA which I don't know about?

Performance is an issue which I have generally not been too mindful of in the past, because I have a slow comp and expect slow framerates. I'll make an effort to improve on this in the future.

Thanks for the comment!

7. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Tested the new version on singleplayer, its been awhile since i've played RoW.
    I think the new shop menu looks kinda crap with the text instead of icons for the different sections and i also think it would also be better if you had to click the different sections of the shop menu instead of moving your mouse over to switch the different sections.

Imo you should also change model or skin for the NE nature/mountain king guy, the skin looks pretty bad. You should change back to the goblin shredder, he looked way more awesome.

8. Softmints

Softmints

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    My reason for changing to text in the marketplace was to make it clear what was in each section, and clarify that they were shop categories. There wasn't room to keep the icons too. Clicking them seems pretty redundant seeing as the only reason one's mouse would be over those buttons would be to switch to that shop. Feel free to click if it makes you happy though :crazz:.

Stumpy ("the NE nature/mountain king guy") is actually a different hero to the Shredder, rather than just a change of theme. I kept the Caber Toss ability because I enjoy using it and it fits the nature/tree theme. More abilities are on the way, but I need to come up with ideas for them first.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  9. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well i suppose you're right with the text, i just thought it looked better with the icons :p

10. Patria

Patria

Resources:
    Resources:
    Very nice map,needs some more stuff though.

11. baassee

baassee

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Holy fuck a new version of this imba map :)

12. Racoon

Racoon

Resources:
    Resources:
    nice map- ive followed progress on this. =)

but i noticed that the demons seem to have way larger spawn creatures than elves and thus destroy them faster. i noticed theres 2 huntresses for every 3 fellhounds(although fellhounds are weaker but not by alot so its easier for demons to win).

13. S.W.I.N.E

S.W.I.N.E

Resources:
    Resources:
    Its excelent

14. blancsoir

blancsoir

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    very well done, unique heroes, unique systems.

4/5

15. MogulKahn

MogulKahn

Resources:
    Resources:
    Gj dude! Very good map with a lot of unique spells!

16. LordLyra

LordLyra

Resources:
    Resources:
    A great map, but the "Level Death" ability can bug the cloud of the druid, it never comes back...

And the basic damage spell of the prinsess of the moon bugs at max level and only deal 46 damage...

FIX that please.

17. BlackKnightTGS

BlackKnightTGS

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Good game, with lots of nice spells, but, I'd like to point out some things:
    • Change the Juggernaut's (Pit Lord's) icon to a red one or something, so it could fit the skin.
    • In-Marketplace: Mirror Shield > Red Box > Woodhammer. The Red box seems to be...nothing.
      Mirror Shield > Red Box > Woodhammer
    • Typo: x have slain x. Should be has slain, right?
    • Some reused icons.
    • I'm not sure about this one, but when the Indiana Jones-like Warlock died, his whip continued to flaot there. But shrinked.
    • The Heretic's/Priestess of the Moon's/Dark Ranger's Ricochet/Elune's Arrows/Aligerous ability has an Autocast icon when I'm about to Learn it.
    • If I click the Mindshock icon with the Psychic, I get a buff with the Mirror Image's (? o.o) icon saying "invulnerable", while I'm not Invulnerable.

Overall: 4/5

18. copsychus

copsychus

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well , i got problem . Fildik or Meddler hero [the hero that use bounty model]. I can't choose this one by click a checking icon. Although i typing -p < nothing happen.

Fix this bug , please

19. Softmints

Softmints

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thanks for this very detailed feedback! Unfortunately, I don't have a suitable icon for Juggernaut. Autocast and passive abilities intentionally have their proper borders when learning those abilities because it's easier to see what they do that way. The only icon which is used twice is Orb of Frost for Rollout and Triumvirate: Ice. Houndmaster's whip sticks around intentionally. The kill message should switch between has/have based on whether a faction or a player landed the kill. The rest are bugs which I'll iron out.

Thanks for pointing this out.

20. DanThanh

DanThanh

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hi Softmints. I personally do not like AOS but i must say your map is really interesting. May i use your terrain for my AOS project?