• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ripping WoW Models: Need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to learn how to rip wow models, and I need to talk to someone about it. I learned how to export the model as m3 fro mteh wow viewer, imported it in 3ds max with m3 plugin, but when I try to export it as MDX(NeoDex) the model is created with only 80KB size and when I try to open it in Warcraft 3 model editor it returns error "Unknown [] tag in node! ". However I can open it in mdlvis, in which I can find only "stand" animation. It's easier for me in Wacraft 3 model editor.

Can someone help?

EDIT: I use 3ds max 2014 for the conversion, because only this edition can load the .M3 scripts and NeoDex without returning error.

I Watched a video where a french guy show how to convert m3 to mdx, but he used 3ds max 2009 where Graph editor is different and hin 2014 i dont know how to edit them :D

Last edited:
Level 7
The Hive doesn't condone the ripping of WoW models. The only models allowed on this site are heavy-duty Warcraft 3 edits or brand-new models made from scratch.

Level 7
@SMBComix: I think you are mistaken. Please read this thread, starting from this post.

Ok. I guess I WAS mistaken. My apologies to the OP, I was always under the impression that WoW ripping was blatantly against the rules and I was simply trying to help keep you out of trouble.

I wouldn't recommend PM'ing Jhotam. I PM'd him already about help with a personal project I'm working on using a method he used back in the day to create WC3 models with WoW skins and minor mesh edits. He never got back to me. I don't know if it's because his first language isn't English, or some other reason, but whatever it is... I don't think he'll help. We'd be better off asking someone else who may know.

Jhotam limits who sees his profile.

EDIT: I read in forum that by using MDLX converter i can fix this problem(fail to load model in Wc3 Editor, as you see in teh video I uploaded), and it works as I tested, but yet again the problem persists: how to keep animations? All I can see is teh current scene with a 'stand' animation and that's all!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.