• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Problems with Ripping WoW Models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Hi, I am trying to rip some WoW Models for my current project, because I wasnt able to find a good ripper. I am able to extract .m2 model files out of WoW (newest version) and open them in 3ds max via NeoDex Plugin, but when I export them again as an .mdx it tells me that something went wrong, but it is still converted, when I now open the mdx file in Wc3 Model Editor everything is still fine, so I put the texture material on BUT when I then play the animations it is completely messed up like some parts of the model arent connected to the other. For example the Chest moves fine while the legs dont do anything.

I have taken this tutorial for help http://www.wcunderground.com/how-to-rip-wow-models-best-way-t4704.html

So if anyone knows a solution that would be great.

well obviously some rigging is lost in the conversion, due to different way the WoW models are used in their own game, so attaching the mesh back to the bones is the logical thing.. BUT the main problem with WoW models is their over-complexity of animations, the frames often need to be culled to shrink the model filesize, leaving only the basic frames. for a long time WoW models have been banned outright as rips, but they are allowed for use if they're very optimized.. normally these are more forum-resources and not for model section unless really really edited

Status
Not open for further replies.