• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Resource Spotlight - JASS [Unofficial]

Status
Not open for further replies.
~Spotlight - JASS~

Hello folks. That's some unofficial hive news from our JASS section.
I thought about doing it from time to time if you guys enjoy something like this.

200261-gif.251496
229167-jpg.251497
leandrotp | DracoL1ch | Raichu
Memory Access
That's for sure one of the biggest topics we have in JASS last months (and even more).
These guys extremly work on JASS machine exploits to gain more and more power for map making.
Blizzard was not able to fix their approach to this day, or appropriatly to provide native alternatives. So these group keeps doing.
Their goal is to create maps without limits and completly new possibilites which we would probably never be able to manage without
direct memory reading and manipulating.
As you can surely think of, working with memory outside the foreseen spectrum is also a very difficult topic for blizzard, so we stay curious of how all the progress rolls out.

Since Nestharus deleted all his submissions from our data base, the Hive was lacking a good unit indxer for vJass users.
Bribe wrote a vJass plugin for his GUI indexer that could be used meanwhile, but now we're finaly back and can use an indexer without workarounds!

TriggerHappy provides a Sharp Craft plugin and also a server for us for being able to save our map's progress online for free.
It doesn't work out very well for robots at this moment, but it's definitly an interesting topic and we should follow it and go with the newest.

We all know this damn curse, called 'resource preloading'.
Pretty much all map makers that don't use optimizing tools require some of these actions to avoid lags on first use.
The methodology is not really new, but now we have this cute snippet which contains any kind of preloading in one handy library. It was about time!

For sure everyone who follows JASS acitivites "Aniki" is a very well known name meanwhile.
You hear that name behind closed doors and people are even whispering about him in talks and private chats.
Seriously, he extremly participated in the jass fourums last months and shared plenty of his thoughts, testings, and exploits. Here are just a few of them:
But he is submitting more and more, and we can't even properly test and appreciate everything new.
Lastly, when you really are interested in jass acitivites you certainly should follow this guy!

@leandrotp@DracoL1ch@Raichu@TriggerHappy@AGD@Aniki

Attachments

• 150926.gif
    150926.gif
    9.8 KB · Views: 188
  • 200261.gif
    200261.gif
    9.8 KB · Views: 175
  • 229167.jpg
    229167.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 141
  • 241724.gif
    241724.gif
    6.5 KB · Views: 185
  • 251569.jpg
    251569.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 181
    19.3 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Or try to compile news batch with the rest of the staff. Collaboration deviates workload.

Resource promotion is important now that we have no way of sorting resources by rating. This is good initiative.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
People like @Chaosy and others (maybe @Rui which I understood was the first to start news batches) opt for the return of monthly news batches. Every resource section could be separated by "hidden" or something to not make the post occupy more than or the whole screen.
The problems I found when I came up with news batches were:
  • You can seldom have them out without delays.
  • If actual news pop up in-between, they miss their place on the batch (and then there's no single best solution; either a section mingling unrelated news, or have them organized, but no one's going to read it all again, or publish them way late in the following batch).
  • Motivation to keep it up, even though a month may seem like a lot. If you look into older news batches you can easily spot gaps between publication periodicity.
  • Tendency for digressing. Like with those questions (what the hell was that anyway?)
I'd prefer user-made publications like this one to keep us in the loop with what's going on in different sections. It can be updated by new posts at any time. This is flexible on timescale, done at any user's discretion, and remains focused.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I'd prefer user-made publications
Yeah, but that won't make it to the first page would it? I'm not sure how many people actually bask into the forums.
Where should these threads be placed if for instance their a conglomeration of resource sections, in the Site Discussion forum?

Last edited:

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
If actual news pop up in-between, they miss their place on the batch (and then there's no single best solution; either a section mingling unrelated news, or have them organized, but no one's going to read it all again, or publish them way late in the following batch).
We can freely pick which threads should be displayed on the front page with this system. I'm pretty sure we can even set the display order manually, but don't quote me on that.

You can seldom have them out without delays.
Motivation to keep it up, even though a month may seem like a lot. If you look into older news batches you can easily spot gaps between publication periodicity.
Yeah this was the main drag. And I think it's partly because they got way too long. Don't get me wrong, I'm impressed by you lot who could keep it up for as long as you did back then, but towards the end they just felt longwinded for thep sole sake of being longwinded.

Better go with a simple setup like done here, and leave shit like interviews and quizes and, Lard have mercy, funny pages (Hive Times 2011, Never Forget) out.

Tendency for digressing. Like with those questions (what the hell was that anyway?)
Yeah, I sincerely never understood why they had to feature a quiz. A fucking quiz. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.