• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Requesting Model/Texture Edit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
I'd like to request a model edit of @Hermit 's Spirit Touch Model, I'd like to have a clear colour hexagon like pattern over the surface with the hexagonal pattern fading off from the center (similar to how spirit touches star spreads out!
Instead of the "Spirit touch/Defend Star" currently on it.

Additionally, if it's all right I'd love a step by step, on how you did it so I can learn!
I'm planning to use this in pack of shield-like- abilities along with my submitted resource Bone Armor that uses Hermit's Spirit Touch Model, so some variations of themes can be applied.

Example of "hexagon pattern"
698270_sm-Force%20Field%2C%20Object%20Source%20Lighting%2C%20Riptide%2C%20Tau.jpg

(Preview of my Resource Bone Armor using Hermit's current spirittouch model - Note that the example is using random player colours for testing purposes!)
myvideo2-gif.316347

(Protoss Shield Example)
ss10b-hires.jpg

Review of Request:
  1. White/Clear hexagon patterned texure Spirit Touch Model (this is so player colours can be applied!)
  2. Fading Texture Animation - similar to the Spirit Touche's animation.
  3. Let me know if this is too much to ask for, I'm a novice in this field and I have no idea of the scope of the difficulty
Participants will have their Name within the credits and the maximum amount of rep I can give.

Level 24
The fact that the sections grow and fade is flipping wonderful
You need to make a submission to the model section these are awesome.
Attach a *tutorial to it on how to make it face the attacking unit and you're set.
Hermits Hexagon Shield Model.gif

*setting the angle between target and source, turning the angle into a radian, Calc goes: (angle) x 3.14) / 180)) along with setting the model time scale to 5.00 (this to ensure the shield doesn't linger to long.*

Last edited:
Level 21
The fact that the sections grow and fade is flipping wonderful
You need to make a submission to the model section these are awesome.
I'm glad that you like it, but I don't think it's worth uploading there since I didn't make anything new; I just combined two existing models. I also don't think the model itself is useful for purposes other than your spell.
setting the model time scale to 5.00 (this to ensure the shield doesn't linger to long.
I can make the animation speed 5x faster if you don't want to do it with triggers.

Level 24
I'm glad that you like it, but I don't think it's worth uploading there since I didn't make anything new
This is a new defend/spellshield/manashield animation! Anyone making a starcraft 2/ futuristic space marines map with shied effects can use this!

ETA: Also this adds a whole new dimension of visuals for Shield/Damage reduction Abilities, If you upload these two, and hopefully more in the future, I would be the first to drop you 5 bloody stars.

I can make the animation speed 5x faster if you don't want to do it with triggers.
This would be nice

Lastly, what program do you use to edit the models?
Are there any tutorials you would recommend to a layman like myself?

Hermit, thank you for your time, I really do appreciate you.

Last edited:
Level 21
This is a new defend/spellshield/manashield animation! Anyone making a starcraft 2/ futuristic space marines map with shied effects can use this!

ETA: Also this adds a whole new dimension of visuals for Shield/Damage reduction Abilities, If you upload these two, and hopefully more in the future, I would be the first to drop you 5 bloody stars.
Thanks for the support, however even if I wanted to upload it, it's against the rules to upload models made by other people, without their permission. The model was made by combining the Spirit Touch model with Energy Shield by CreatorD3292, which means that CreatorD3292 is technically the (co)creator.
This would be nice
Done.
Lastly, what program do you use to edit the models?
I use War3 Model Editor, Mdlvis and Matrix Eater.
Are there any tutorials you would recommend to a layman like myself?
I don't remember if there were any tutorials that were particularly useful to me when I started editing models, but I'm sure you'll find something useful in the tutorials section. You can also try watching some video tutorials, like these:

Hermit, thank you for your time, I really do appreciate you.
I'm glad I could help. :smile:

Attachments

• HexagonShield.mdx
    18.1 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
That is a pretty sick shield effect; and you say all you did was combine the standard Spirit Link with that custom shield model??

It's true they don't look kindly on uploading minor model edits, but it's not like it's illegal; just send Creator-guy a PM & ask him!

Even if you don't do that, there'd be no problem with uploading it to Creator's Shield model thread as an alternate/modified version. People do that all the time.

Level 21
That is a pretty sick shield effect; and you say all you did was combine the standard Spirit Link with that custom shield model??
Thanks; Yes, that's basically what I did (*Spirit Touch) in addition to adding a bunch of bones that would scale each hexagon individually.
It's true they don't look kindly on uploading minor model edits, but it's not like it's illegal; just send Creator-guy a PM & ask him!
You're right, but he hasn't been online for years.
Even if you don't do that, there'd be no problem with uploading it to Creator's Shield model thread as an alternate/modified version. People do that all the time.
I still don't think I'll be uploading this, but I might try to upload a few edited unit models.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Thanks; Yes, that's basically what I did (*Spirit Touch) in addition to adding a bunch of bones that would scale each hexagon individually.
Wow. Sick.

Hermit said:
You're right, but he hasn't been online for years.
That's OK. No seriously, it's not so much a matter of 'getting' permission so much as it is 'asking' for it, in a situation like this. It's not like you are editing his posts or changing his uploads; you're providing an alternative.

Hermit said:
I still don't think I'll be uploading this, but I might try to upload a few edited unit models.
Upload ALL THE MODELS. : )

Status
Not open for further replies.